With having more than 6,50,000 international students pursuing Bachelors, Masters, Diploma/ Certificates courses in Canada, the option of pursuing overseas education in Canada has now become prominent amongst the youth. Canada’s advanced education system, top-ranked institutions along with a safe and secured environment has made many pursue their dream of studying in Canada. Along with these key reasons, the one that turns many heads towards Canada is its pocket-friendly tuition fee for programs. If you have been aspiring to study in Canada but are unsure about where to begin, here is a comprehensive guide which will shed light on Canada’s major universities, admission process as well as the visa procedures for international students.
This Blog Includes:
- Cost of Studying in Canada
- Requirements to Study in Canada
- Scholarships in Canada
- Study in Canada After 12th
- When to Apply?
- Top Colleges & Universities in Canada
- Canada Study Visa
- How to Apply?
- What are On-campus and Off-campus Jobs for International Students in Canada?
Cost of Studying in Canada
The total cost of studying in Canada is mainly constituted of different factors such as the chosen course, the city of study, accommodation, etc.
- Vocational or Diploma Courses: CAD 2,000 – CAD 19,000 per year [1,09,000 INR- Rs 10,29,000 INR]
- Bachelors Courses: CAD 1,800 – CAD 20,000 per year [97,000 INR – Rs 10,82,000]
- Masters Courses: CAD 2,000 – CAD 18,000 per year [1,09,000 INR – 9,80,000 INR]
- MBA: 30,000 CAD to 40,000 CAD per year [17,05,000 INR – 22,73,000 INR]
- PhD: CAD 2,000 – CAD 17,000 [1,09,000 INR – 9,20,000 INR]
- On-Campus: Varies from one university to another
- Off-Campus: CAD 400 – CAD 3,000 per month [21,000 INR – 1,62,000 INR]
- Travel Costs: CAD 80 – CAD 110 per month[4,000 INR- 5,000 INR]
Note: These are approximate costs and can vary based on the city you live in and the CAD to INR conversion rates.
Here’s how you can Study in Canada After 10th!
Requirements to Study in Canada
If you are planning to study in Canada from India, here are the key requirements you need to keep in mind:
- Transcripts or Marksheet of your previous degree or diploma
- GMAT or GRE Scores for MBA and Masters programs in Canada
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Acceptable English Proficiency Tests:
- Proof that you have sufficient funds to study in Canada.
- An updated CV (if required)
- If you are applying for a Masters in Canada or PhD program, you might need to provide two letters of academic reference with previous letters of employment. And if you haven’t studied in Canada before, you will also need an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment).
Here are the top alternatives to study in Canada without IELTS:
- Provide scores of other English Proficiency tests like TOEFL and PTE.
- You can study in Canada without IELTS if you have studied in an English medium school for at least 4 years and you’ll have to provide proof through your academic transcripts.
- English speaking country citizens are also exempted from providing IELTS scores in Canada.
- Opt for the English language course offered the university.
Top Universities to Study in Canada without IELTS
- University of Winnipeg
- Brock University
- University of Saskatchewan
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cambrian University
- Okanagan College
- Concordia University
- Seneca College
- Carleton University
Do You Know: The Council of Ministers of Education (CMEC) has also curated an online tool where prospective aspirants can estimate the tuition costs as well as living expenses as per their chosen academic institutions.
Scholarships in Canada
Be it for undergraduate programs or scholarships in Canada for masters, those wanting to study in Canada will find plenty of opportunities to fund their education. Here is the complete list of scholarships in Canada:
- York University International Student Scholarships
- University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarships
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at University of Toronto
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- National Research Council of Canada Scholarship
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship
- Partnership Grams by Social Science and Humanities Research Council for Canada
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
- Hani Zeini Scholarships
- Ritchie- Jennings Memorial Scholarship
- Erasmus Scholarship
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
An amount of $50,000 (INR28,00,000) will be allotted during the three years course. This scheme is only applicable to the students willing to pursue Masters and PhD courses and they must be nominated by a Canadian institution.
Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
Only the students willing to pursue Masters as well as doctoral degrees in Canada can apply for the scholarship. It is necessary for a candidate to be a citizen of India and must have completed their tertiary education in English. The candidate must be less than 40 years of age.
Award: The entire tuition fee, travel expenses along with maintenance allowances will be granted through the scholarship scheme.
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship
For bachelors, masters and MPhil in Canada
It is necessary for the applicant to be a member of the institution of Shastri Indo Canadian Institute or any of the constituent colleges that fall under Shastri network. Candidates must have obtained at least 65% marks and shall not be enrolled for any other degree or diploma program.
Award: 500- 1000 CAD (28,000 INR- 56,000 INR) will be awarded to the applicants along with reimbursement for online meeting software, telephone bills, internet connection, affiliation fee and access to lab facilities or library.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship
Students who have secured at least 75 to 80% in their UG courses can apply.
Award: Students who have secured at least 75 to 80% in their UG courses can apply.
Study in Canada After 12th
The top courses to Study in Canada after 12th for Indian students are:
- BA LLB
- BSc (Information Technology/Software Engineering)
- BSc in Nursing
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Interior Design
- Diploma in Business Administration (HR)
- Diploma in Office Administration
Popular Courses to Study in Canada after 12th Commerce
- BCom (Marketing/Accounting/Finance)
- BA LLB
- Bachelor of Journalism
- Bachelor of Fashion Designing
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- Cost Accounting
Popular Courses to Study in Canada after 12th Commerce without Maths
- Advanced Diploma in Business Administration – Marketing
- Ontario College Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Business – Entrepreneurship and Management
- Diploma in Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Animation Courses
Popular Courses to Study in Canada After 12th Non-Medical
- Diploma in Engineering Courses
- Computer Courses
- IT and Programming Courses
- Lab Technician
- BSc in Physics/Chemistry
Popular Courses to Study in Canada After 12th Medical
Popular Courses to Study in Canada After 12th Arts
- Fashion Design
- Language and Linguistics
- Human Rights
- Political Science
Looking for Study in Canada Consultants in Delhi?
Our Leverage Edu counsellors are here to help you find the right course and university and our mentors and head coaches will further guide you throughout the admission process, selecting scholarships and more!
Click Here for a Free Session Now!
When to Apply?
Before applying to any university in Canada, you should first check the course availability based on the intakes. Here are the key admission intakes in Canadian Universities:
|Undergraduate/ Postgraduate Courses [Universities]||Fall Intake – September|
Winter Intake – January
|December – March|
September – November
|August – September|
January – February
February – April
Top Colleges & Universities in Canada
While making your plans to study in Canada, it is important to research thoroughly the top academic institutions and their prospective offerings in your chosen field of interest. Take a look at the following table in which we have compiled the rankings of top universities in Canada:
|Name of the University||QS World University Rankings 2021||THE World University Rankings|
|University of Toronto||=25||18|
|The University of British Columbia||45||34|
|University of Montreal||118||=73|
|University of Alberta||119||=131|
|University of Ottawa||= 279||= 145|
|University of Calgary||=246||= 200|
|University of Waterloo||=166||201-250|
|Dalhousie University||= 291||251-300|
|Simon Fraser University||=323||251-300|
|University of Manitoba||601-650||351-400|
Canada Study Visa
In order to obtain a Canada Study visa for Indians, one needs to apply to the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which is the main concerned authority for obtaining student permits for international students.
There are two ways to apply for Student Permit in Canada or Canada Study Visa:
- Regular Study Permit Application Procedure
- Student Direct Stream
Regular Study Permit Application Procedure
For Indian students, the best way is to apply through the student direct stream in which one needs to register online at the official website of the CIC, submit biometrics (fingerprints and photo) and then wait for at least 20 days for the verification and result.
Student Direct Stream
On the other hand, the regular study permit application procedure is a traditional method in which one can either apply online or on paper. The eligibility criteria are similar to the student direct stream, however, it can take a little longer for the screening of applications.
The application fee of Student Visa in Canada is CAD $150 [Rs 8,000 approximately].
- Letter of Acceptance
- Valid Passport
- School Leaving Certificate
- Evidence of GIC Purchase
- Scholarship/Funding Details [If Applicable]
- Proof of your English or French Proficiency Test
- Student Questionnaire
- Medical Test for Canada Student Visa
- Family Information Form
- IT Records of your parents [Last 2 years]
- Use Representative Form (IMM 5476)
How to Apply?
To begin with the admission process, one needs to follow certain step-by-step procedure to ensure that you don’t miss anything while sending your application. The following pointers elaborate upon the major steps you should keep in mind while planning to study in Canada.
- Find a Suitable Course and University
Thoroughly research the available diploma and degree programs in your field of interest as well as the universities offering them. Canada is globally famous for its prospective courses in varied specialisations, be it Science, Technology, Humanities or Commerce.
- Get the Paperwork Ready
Applying to study in Canada can be a lengthy procedure and it’s important to start your application as early as possible. Some of the basic application essentials include transcripts and marksheets for your academic records, language proficiency scores (IELTS Score for Canada), letter of motivation, letters of recommendation (LOR), Statement of Profit (SOP), amongst others. We have also given a rundown of different documents you need in the next section.
- Familiarize yourself with Admission Requirements
Once you have selected the right course, check its admission requirements given on the university’s official website. Some of the prominent things you need to ensure are academic-related specifications, criteria related to work experience, information about the intake, etc.
- Filling the Application Form & Submission
Major universities in Canada conduct the application procedure through an online medium where the candidates need to fill their personal and academic details, submit the necessary documents as well as the required application fee. Make sure that you carefully add all your details and go through them once again before the final submission.
- Gear Up for Visa Application
Once your candidature has been successfully accepted by the university, you can start preparing your visa application. It generally needs around 60 days as well as demands many documents, so it becomes important that you commence your visa application as early as you can.
The most popular courses in Canada are:
- Hotel Management Course in Canada
- PG Diploma in Canada
- PGDM in Canada
- MBA in Canada
- MBBS in Canada
- MSc Nursing in Canada
- Masters in Digital Marketing in Canada
Must Read: University of Toronto Acceptance Rate
What are On-campus and Off-campus Jobs for International Students in Canada?
Do you know international students can avail the chance to work either on-campus or off-campus while studying in Canada!
The Canadian government has allowed international students to work for 20 hours a week while pursuing their education in the country. Further, one can choose from on-campus or off-campus jobs, and if you are an international student, it is important your study permit must indicate that you are allowed to work.
On-Campus Jobs in Canada
In this type of job, you’re allowed to work for your school, faculty member, your own business, and a student organization without a work permit. But as a post-secondary international student, you’re only permitted to work if you have:
- A full-time post-secondary student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- A valid study permit
- A Social Insurance Number
Off-Campus Jobs in Canada
In such a job, you’re allowed to work outside your school. So explore part-time opportunities like a tutor, waiter, or in any other temporary positions, but you’re allowed to work only when you have:
- A valid study permit that indicates you’re allowed to work off-campus,
- Enrolled at a DLI (Designated Learning Institute),
- Studying a 6-month program that leads to a degree, certificate, or diploma.
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Some of the in-demand courses in Canada that are based on the most in-demand jobs are:
1. Vocational or College Instructor
2. Licensed Practical Nurse
3. Business Management Consultant
4. Software Engineer/ Designer
5. Industrial Electrician
6. Aerospace Engineer
8. Aircraft Pilot
10. Construction Estimator
11. Registered Nurse
With friendly immigration rules and regulations, finding a job after completing your studies in Canada is an easy task as compared to other countries. Those who graduate from one of the designated learning institutions are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, i.e. PGWP. Here is our blog which lists down the jobs in Canada with Work Permit for you to consider.
To study in Canada, you have to give proof of funds. Currently, the minimum bank balance which you need to have is CAD 10,000 [Rs 5,40,000]. Furthermore, to study in Quebec, you need to have a minimum of CAD 11,000 [Rs 5,96,000]
In case you are applying for a student visa, you need to score a minimum aggregate of 6 and a minimum of 5.5 in each section of the IELTS paper, for all the undergraduate degrees offered to study in Canada. For postgraduate degrees, you need to score a minimum of 6 in all the four sections and a minimum aggregate of 6.5.
A medical examination is necessary for those planning to join public service courses or job opportunities. A medical examination might be compulsory in case you are planning to pursue certain kinds of courses in which case the university will specify the same or planning to take up a job that requires a medical examination. In this scenario, the medical examination will be conducted before issuing a visa for Canada. For courses that last 6 months or less, do not require a medical examination of any kind.
The basic admission examinations such as the SAT, GRE or GMAT are technical examinations and basic determinants for the course pathway to study in Canada. Language proficiency exams like IELTS and TOEFL are also necessary to help the university understand whether you can survive in a predominantly English speaking country like Canada. However, individual course admission requirements may differ based on the college or universities.
Canada being a welcoming and economical study destination for international students is certainly the current favourite study abroad option for many students around the globe. To ensure you get selected in one of the top universities to study in Canada, it’s highly imperative to have your application stand out. Call Leverage Edu today and take the first step towards successfully studying in Canada.