Home to many top-ranked universities and welcoming multicultural cosmopolitans, Canada is considered as the most preferred study destination amongst international students. When it comes to studying nursing abroad, the medical schools in Canada offer high-quality programs and global exposure to equip students with the knowledge and skills to become a part of the backbone of the global medical industry. Whether you are looking for a diploma in Nursing or full-fledged degree programs, you can choose from a broad range of courses in nursing in Canada. This blog brings you a comprehensive guide on Nursing courses in Canada, top medical universities, eligibility criteria and more.
Must Read: 2-year Nursing Programs in Canada
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Nursing in Canada?
- With many of its universities featured at the top of QS University Rankings 2021 for Nursing, Canada is amongst the choicest countries to study Nursing.
- From providing world-class education and training to offering globally recognized degrees in Nursing, the country is home to the world’s top nursing colleges and universities.
- Nursing courses in Canada focus on equipping students with hands-on experience in illness treatment, preventive medicines, cure different diseases and more.
- The medical universities and nursing schools in Canada are also renowned for research and development and have international collaborations with health organisations from across the world to offer the best exposure to students.
- Nursing is also the most top-in-demand profession in the contemporary world and Canadian universities have plenty of scholarships on offer along with the country’s government thus welcoming students from all over the world.
- Nurses are employed by some of the best hopsitals and clinics in the country. The average salary for a nurse is CA$81,152 per year.
Top Specializations for Nursing Courses in Canada
There are more than 100 courses in nursing with different specialization and degree levels offered by top colleges in Canada. Students can choose from a certificate or diploma program to doctorate degree in varied specialisations of this field. Here are some of the top specialisations available for Nursing courses in Canada:
- Practical Nursing
- General Nursing
- International Nursing
- Nursing Assisting
- Pre-health Sciences
- Critical Care Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Nursing & Midwifery
- Nursing Specialists
- Cardiac Nursing
- Emergency Nursing
- Gastroenterology Nursing
- Public Health
- Psychiatric Nursing
Moreover, completing your chosen course and based on your specialization, you can establish your nursing careers in the fields such as:
- Healthcare Centres
- Medical Institutes
- Community Services
- Long-term/Critical Care institutions
Cost of Studying Nursing in Canada [Nursing Courses Fees]
|Bachelors Courses||53,000 CAD to 170,000 CAD [INR 3061519.56 to INR 9819968.39]|
|Masters Courses||80,000 CAD to 180,000 CAD [INR 4621161.60 to INR 10397613.59]|
|On-Campus||Varies from one university to another|
|Off-Campus||CAD 400 – CAD 3,000 per month [21,000 INR – 1,62,000 INR]|
|Travel Costs||CAD 80 – CAD 110 per month[4,000 INR- 5,000 INR]|
List of Top Nursing Courses in Canada
Now that you are familiar with the top specialisations available, let’s take a look at the major types of Nursing Courses in Canada:
- Diploma Level
- Bachelor level – Bachelor in Nursing (BN) or Bachelor in Nursing Science (BSN) degree
- Master Level – Master in Nursing Science (MSN) or Master in Nursing (MN) or. Master in Applied Science in Nursing (MASc) offers graduate diploma degree and degree certificate
- Doctorate Level – PhD degree in Nursing
Under these diploma and degree programs, here is a complete list of top Nursing Courses in Canada:
|Top Nursing Courses||Course Duration|
|Diploma in Practical Nursing||2 years|
|Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing||2 years|
|Bachelor’s in Nursing [BN]||2 years|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing [BSN]||3 to 4 years|
|Graduate Certificate in Enhanced Nursing Practice
– Clinical and Critical Care
|Ontario College Graduate Certificate in Acute Complex Care for Internationally Educated Nurses||1 year|
|Specialty Nursing – High Acuity, BSc||1 year|
|Master of Nursing (MN)||2 years|
|Master of Science in Nursing [MSN]||2 years|
|Master of Nursing Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner||2 years|
|Master of Science in Nursing Specialization in Feminist and Gender Studies||2 years|
|Master of Science in Experimental Surgery||2 years|
|Master of Public Health in Nursing||2 years|
|Combined Master of Nursing / Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate||2 years|
|PhD in Nursing||5 years|
Eligibility Criteria and Documents Required
In order to apply for a program in Nursing in Canada, you must fulfil the admission requirements specified by your chosen university. Though these course requirements might vary as per program and university, we have listed down the general eligibility criteria and document checklist you must keep in mind while applying for Nursing courses in Canada:
- For bachelor’s degree Nursing courses in Canada, the candidate must have completed their graduation in Secondary School or equivalent with Mathematics, English, Biology, and Chemistry as core subjects at 12th level.
- For master’s degree courses, the candidate must have a registered nurse license with a four-year bachelor’s degree in nursing in addition to other eligibility criteria. Further, many universities also ask for at least one year of clinical experience.
- For doctoral-level programs, the applicant must have a master’s degree in Nursing or equivalent.
- Along with these, you will also have to provide Language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. Moreover, for PhD programs, some nursing colleges or universities might require GRE scores and for bachelor’s degrees, you might have to undertake CASPer exam, i.e. Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics which is considered as compulsory by many academic institutions in Canada.
Here is a checklist of documents that you must keep ready before opting for Nursing courses in Canada:
- Scores of Language Proficiency Test (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Official Transcripts
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Document of CASPer Exam for bachelor’s degree courses
- Registered Nursing license (a current RN) for master’s degree courses
- Research Paper ( in case, if you have accomplished any research) for PhD courses
Note: The aforementioned eligibility requirements and documents required are only for indicative purposes and correspond to general requirements. Students are advised to go through the official website of their chosen university to know about actual course requirements.
Top Universities Offering Nursing Courses in Canada
There are many popular medical schools and universities offering a wide range of Nursing courses in Canada. Check out the following list of top nursing colleges and universities in Canada:
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of Alberta
- University of Ottawa
- McMaster University
- Queen’s University at Kingston
- University of British Columbia
- Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
- Stenberg College
- Western University
Check Out: Top Nursing Colleges in the World
Nursing courses in Canada can take 2-4 years depending upon the program.
The national average salary for a Nurse is CAD 81,152 per year.
For bachelor’s degree Nursing courses in Canada, the candidate must have completed their graduation in Secondary School or equivalent with Mathematics, English, Biology, and Chemistry as core subjects at 12th level.
For master’s degree courses, the candidate must have a registered nurse license with a four-year bachelor’s degree in nursing in addition to other eligibility criteria. Further, many universities also ask for at least one year of clinical experience.
Hence, we hope that this blog has provided you with all the essential details related to Nursing Courses in Canada. Unsure about the admission process of these courses and universities? Reach out to our Leverage Edu counselors and we will assist you in sorting out the admission process of your chosen course and university, helping you craft admission essays, SOP, and LORs, and ensuring that you submit a winning application! Sign up for an e-meeting with us today!