With globalization, countries across the world have witnessed an increase in tourist inflow and this has prompted them to explore ways to promote their tourism industry. Out of the many courses available, the Bachelor of Hotel Management can act as a stepping stone in pursuing a career in Hotel Management. Thus, in this blog, we will shed light on the important aspects pertaining to the Bachelor of Hotel Management and its scope.
This Blog Includes:
|Course Name||Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)|
|Fees||8-10 Lakhs (India)
14-20 Lakhs (Abroad)
|Colleges in India||International School of Hotel Management, Kolkata;
Christ University, Bangalore;
Amity University, Lucknow
|Colleges Abroad||Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne;
University of Central Florida;
Les Roches International School of Hotel Management
|Salary||INR 6 Lakhs p.a.|
|Jobs||Hotel Manager, Front Office Executive, Chef, Catering Services Executive, Event Manager|
Overview of Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
Bachelors of Hotel Management is an undergraduate program that comes under the domain of the Hospitality industry. Considered one of the most popular Hotel Management courses after 12th, this program generally spans over 3 to 4 years, depending on the university chosen. With an aim of skill development, the Hotel Management subjects train the students on various aspects such as preparation of food and beverage, culinary arts, housekeeping operations, computer applications, front office operations, business communication, accommodation operations, finance, sales and marketing, public relations, etc.
Bachelor of Hotel Management Subjects/Syllabus
Here are the major subjects covered in the Bachelor of Hotel Management syllabus:
- Food Production
- Accommodation Operations
- Front Office Service
- Food and Beverage Service
- Principles of Food Science
- Hotel Engineering
- Information Technology in Hotels and Businesses
- Human Resources
- Customer Service Management
- Culinary Arts (Food and Beverage)
- International Policies
- Cost Control
- Accounting and Finance
- Strategic Management
- Tourism Management
BHM in India: Eligibility Criteria
To pursue Bachelor in Hotel Management or BHM in India, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 19 years of age.
- You must have obtained a minimum of 50% in Class XII from a recognized board.
- You must have completed your higher secondary education with English as a compulsory subject.
BHM Top Colleges in India
The table below mentions some of the best colleges in India offering BHM Courses, along with the cost of studying:
|Institute||Cost of Studying|
|WelcomGroup Graduate School of Hotel Management, Karnataka||INR 14 Lakh|
|Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore||INR 7 Lakh|
|Department of Hotel Management Christ University, Bangalore||INR 5 Lakh|
|AIMS Institutes, Bangalore||INR 4 Lakh|
|Amity University, Lucknow||INR 6 Lakh|
|Oriental School of Hotel Management, Wayanad||INR 3 Lakh|
|KLE Society’s Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore||INR 1 Lakh|
|Garden City University, Bangalore||INR 6 Lakh|
BHM Abroad: Eligibility Criteria
To pursue BHM Abroad, you must meet the eligibility criteria set by the university that the prospective candidates must fulfil for seeking admission into the Bachelor of Hotel Management course. Even though the prerequisites may vary from one university to another, here are some common parameters for eligibility:
- The candidate must have completed their 10+2 level of secondary education from a recognized educational board with a minimum aggregate percentage as mentioned in the official guidelines of the chosen University.
- The candidate must showcase their language proficiency in English by securing exceptional scores in TOEFL, IELTS or PTE for admission into a course with English as a medium of instruction.
- Some universities also consider a high-school diploma in hotel management or a related field as an important eligibility criterion for granting admission into the Bachelor of Hotel Management.
- Apart from this, the applicant will have to clear the entrance exam conducted by the university, if applicable.
- The other documents include a Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letters of Recommendation (LOR), transcripts, CV, etc.
Also Read: Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada
Top Universities Offering BHM Abroad
With the boost in the tourism industry across the globe, the demand for professionals in hotel management has risen up significantly. Catering to this demand, top hotel management universities all over the world have started offering different programs and courses to make students adept with foundational knowledge. Some of the top universities that offer Bachelor of Hotel Management courses and other related programs are given below:
- Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne
- Cornell University
- University of Central Florida
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management
- University of Nevada
- Bournemouth University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences
- The University of Queensland
- Griffith University
- University of Surrey
- Nanyang Technological University
Also Read: Hotel Management Courses in Australia
BHM Fees Abroad
Studying hotel management abroad can open an array of career opportunities in various departments such as management, marketing, and administration. The cost of pursuing a BHM Course abroad will vary for different countries and universities. However, the average cost of pursuing a BHM Course abroad is INR 16 – INR 24 Lakh per annum.
BHM Job Prospects and Scope
Being a field with some of the most sought-after courses inculcating the basic knowledge to kickstart a career in the ever-growing industry, the students who graduate with a Bachelor of Hotel Management have a sky full of opportunities across sectors. The graduates can work in some of the listed areas of employment:
- Hospitality Service Suppliers
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Convention Bureaus
- Catering Services
- Theme and Recreating parks
- Tour Operations and Tourist Organization
- Event Management
Listed below are some of the major job profiles a Bachelor of Hotel Management graduate can work in:
- Hotel Manager
- Front Office Executive
- Catering Services Executive
- Event Manager
- Restaurant Manager
- Cabin Crew
- Flight Attendant
- Customer Service Executive
- Marketing and Sales Officer
Students who wish to pursue further education in Hotel Management can opt for a postgraduate master’s program in Hotel Management such as:
- Master of Hotel Management (MHM)
- Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Hotel Management
- MBA in Event Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
Here are the average salaries of various job profiles after BHM in India:
|Food and Beverage Manager||3.5 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs per annum|
|Hotel Manager||3 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum|
|Sous Chef||3.5 Lakhs to 10 Lakhs|
|Head Chef||5 Lakhs to 20 Lakhs|
|Front Office Manager||2.5 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs|
|Event Manager||3 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs|
|Catering Manager||3.5 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs|
Here is the average salary of BHM graduates in various countries abroad;
|Country||Average Salary per Annum||In INR|
|USA||USD 54,071||INR 42 Lakh|
|UK||£45,559||INR 44 Lakh|
|Australia||AUD 76,841||Inr 42 Lakh|
|Canada||CAD 52,416||INR 32 Lakh|
Ans. BHM or Bachelor of Hotel Management, an undergraduate degree program offered for 3-4 years.
Ans. The BHM Course is meant to train students on various aspects of hospitality such as preparation of food and beverage, culinary arts, housekeeping operations, computer applications, front office operations, business communication, accommodation operations, finance, sales and marketing, public relations, etc.
Ans. BHM Course fee varies for different universities but the course fee ranges from INR 1,00,000 to INR 14,00,000 in India.
Hopefully, with this blog, you are now familiar with all the necessary information pertaining to the course of Bachelor of Hotel Management. If you are looking forward to pursuing this course abroad but are not sure about the process then take the assistance of experts at Leverage Edu through a 30-minute free career counselling session and get the answers to all your questions within minutes!