Often regarded as supplementary to the role of a doctor, Nurses play an irreplaceable part in the healthcare industry. Not only do they work as a crucial link between a doctor and a patient. They aim at preventing diseases, assisting patients to handle illnesses as well as promoting well-being and health. While a doctor only diagnoses the disease and carries out the treatment, nurses observe, assess, and ensure the proper care of patients. If you have always been inclined towards working in healthcare, then Nursing promises lucrative opportunities to build a career. There are numerous Nursing courses available at varied levels that one can choose from. Through this blog, we will take a look at what a degree like BSc Nursing entails, eligibility criteria, top universities as well as BSc Nursing Salary.
|Duration||3- 4 Years|
|Course Fee||50,000- 5,00,000 Annually|
|Eligibility||Cleared 10+2 with a minimum of 50%|
|BSc Nursing Salary||200000- 500000 per annum|
|Selection Process||Merit/ Entrance Based|
|Popular Universities||King’s College London
University of Toronto
The University of Sydney
This Blog Includes:
- About BSc Nursing
- Why Study BSc Nursing?
- BSc Nursing Syllabus
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Skills Required to Pursue BSc Nursing
- Top Universities for BSc Nursing Abroad
- Top 10 Colleges for BSc Nursing in India
- BSc Nursing Salary & Job Profiles
- Major Employment Areas
- What After BSc Nursing?
About BSc Nursing
BSc Nursing is a 3-4 year undergraduate course that focuses on providing nursing education and training incorporating a balanced curriculum of classroom study and clinical practices. The programme assists students in developing advanced thinking skills, critical care as well as proficiency and values necessary for the practice of professional nursing. As the initial years of the program focus on theoretical study, students are required to go for a 6-month internship in the latter part in order to gain practical experience in health centres working under medical practitioners.
Types of BSc Nursing
Candidates have two-course options for the BSc Nursing degree:
- Basic B Sc Nursing – Candidates must successfully complete their 10+2 exams with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their required subjects in order to enrol in this course. Additionally, they must be in good health.
- Post-Basic B Sc Nursing– Candidates for the Post-Basic B Sc Nursing programme must have taken Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and hold a certificate in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM). Additionally, he or she needs to hold a Registered Nurse, Registered Midwife (RNRM) designation from the State Nurses Registration Council.
Why Study BSc Nursing?
There are many benefits to taking a BSc Nursing course. One of the most well-liked nursing programmes in India that prepares future nurses to work in a variety of settings is the BSc in Nursing programme. Several of India’s top nursing schools offer the course. The following benefits may encourage students to enrol in the course:
- BSc Hospitals and nursing homes offer opportunities for nursing students. Examine: Jobs and Nursing Courses
- India only has 1.7 nurses for every 1,000 people, which is less than the minimum requirement of 3 set by the WHO. By 2024, India will need to hire 4.3 million new nurses.
- A Registered Nurse in India makes an average annual salary of INR 3,00,000 LPA as a new employee, according to Payscale. In 4-5 years, the salary might reach INR 10,00,000.
- Candidates can choose a specialisation based on their interests and continue their education in the MSc Nursing programme.
- If students don’t want to pursue a Master’s degree, they can also enrol in a postgraduate programme in public health management.
BSc Nursing Syllabus
A BSc in Nursing encompasses varied fields of study ranging from anatomy to community health as well as child health. The course structure may differ from one institution to another but there are some general disciplines that are commonly included in this degree. The following table elucidates a list of major subjects covered in BSc Nursing:
|1st Year Syllabus||2nd Year Syllabus|
|Nursing Foundation||Community Health Nursing – 1|
|Introduction to Computers||Environmental Science|
|3rd Year Syllabus||4th Year Syllabus|
|Medical-Surgical Nursing||Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing|
|Child Health Nursing||Community Health Nursing – II|
|Mental Health Nursing||Nursing Research|
|Communicational and Educational Technology||Management of Nursing Service and Education|
Must Read: BSc Nursing Syllabus 2023
In order to apply for a degree or a diploma, candidates need to fulfil some prerequisites specified by their chosen university. Similarly, to pursue a BSc in Nursing from a leading medical institution, applicants must satisfy certain conditions. Enlisted below are the eligibility criteria for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing that you should know before opting for this degree:
- Candidates must have completed their Senior Higher Secondary School (10+2) with PCB subjects from a recognized board of education.
- English Proficiency test scores such as IELTS/PTE or TOEFL are also required to study a BSc Nursing in an English-speaking country. Further, if you are opting for a country where English is not the majorly spoken language, then you need to check the university website for language proficiency exams.
- SAT or ACT scores are also needed to be submitted along with your application.
Although the top medical colleges in India primarily take into account entrance exam scores, the BSc in Nursing Admission Process in India is conducted through both entrance exam scores and merit.
The most well-liked All India Entrance Exam for BSc Nursing is NEET. Both PGIMER and AIIMS Delhi have separate entrance exams. There is a state-specific entrance exam for BSc Nursing in states like Kerala, West Bengal, Odisha, and Assam.
The following list includes some of the fundamental documents that are required to secure admission to BSc nursing programmes in India and abroad:
- Personal Statement
- Two or more Letters of reference
- 1-2 years of work experience.
- Proof of your ability to speak English
- Updated CV/Resume
- Good interview performance.
- The following are the language requirements for studying abroad:
Relevant Read: Adult Nursing Degree
Skills Required to Pursue BSc Nursing
One needs to possess the X-Factor, a unique quality or characteristic that sets you apart from the competition, in order to excel at what you do. Similarly to this, one needs to have the following skills in order to have a successful future after earning a BSc in nursing:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to network
- Well-organized and punctual
- Ability to tackle challenging situations
- Staying calm under extreme pressure
Top Universities for BSc Nursing Abroad
Finding the right institution holds equal importance in selecting the right degree program. There are an array of universities across the globe that offer bachelor of science courses in Nursing. Here is a list of some renowned universities that BSc Nursing programs to students around the world.
|Name of College/ University||Country||Average fees in INR|
|University of Pennsylvania||United States||40,62, 000|
|King’s College London||United Kingdom||45,55, 000|
|University of Washington||United States||16,32, 411|
|University of Southampton||United Kingdom||20,00, 000|
|Yale University||United States||41,52, 070|
|The University of Technology Sydney||Australia||19,65, 400|
|University of Manchester||United Kingdom||23,35, 500|
|University of Toronto||Canada||30,00, 000|
|University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill||United States||27,68, 000|
Relevant Read: Best Nursing University In Australia
Top 10 Colleges for BSc Nursing in India
India is home to some of the finest medical schools. Here is the list of the top 10 colleges in India for BSc Nursing:
- AIIMS Delhi
- CMC Vellore
- Madras Medical College
- GMC Amritsar
- Kle University
- NIMS University Jaipur
- Chitkara University
- Sikkim Manipal University
- ITM University
BSc Nursing Salary & Job Profiles
After completing your undergraduate degree in Nursing, you can choose from an array of career prospects in both the public and private sectors. Further, for those wanting to go for higher studies, you can pursue a master’s degree in this field and explore the academic and research domain with a PhD in Nursing. Below we have curated a list of job profiles that you can opt for at the conclusion of your bachelor’s degree along with a BSc Nursing salary structure from PayScale:
Major Employment Areas
There are numerous employment areas you can work in after graduating. Some of the major job areas you can explore after BSc Nursing include:
- Community Health Centres
- Defence Services
- Physician Offices
- Correctional Healthcare Facilities
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
Relevant Read: Nursing Courses in Canada
What After BSc Nursing?
Are you wondering what’s the next step you will take after completing your course? There is a variety of employment areas from opening your own clinics to working in defence services. Your BSc nursing salary will range between INR 2 lakhs to 5 lakhs per annum at entry level. With more experience, your salary will increase with your position. However, if you are looking to go for further studies are many courses that will fit perfectly with your master’s. Here are some of the popular courses:
BSc in Nursing, BSc in Biotechnology, Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Bachelor of Pharmacy, BSc in Psychology, BSc in Biomedical Science, and many more are some of the top medical programmes available without NEET.
The four-year undergraduate programme known as BSc Nursing, or Bachelor of Science in Nursing, is in the medical sciences. Candidates for the B.Sc. Nursing programme must have completed either a nursing diploma or the 10+2 biology requirement.
If you are already a BSc nurse, you must follow the same process to pass the Neet exam as a student who has completed their 12th grade before enrolling in MBBS. If you want to become an ayurvedic doctor, however, you can pursue BAMS after passing the NEET exam.
Thus, we hope that this blog has provided you with an in-depth insight into what a BSc Nursing course entails. Moreover, if you are planning to study a degree in Medical Science and don’t know which one to pursue, sign up for a 30-minute free career counselling session with our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll assist you in finding a suitable program that fits your skills and aspiration and equips you with the required skill set to establish your career in the healthcare sector.