Canada has been ranked at the third position amongst the ‘best counties for education’ as per the U.S. News 2021. The country’s government has invested immensely in the education sector and is consistently striving to become an internationally renowned study destination. Offering affordable courses and economical costs of living, Canadian institutions are noted for academic excellence and have worked extensively in the domain of research as well. Pursuing a master’s degree in Canada, you can not only avail yourself of global exposure into your field of interest but can also delve deeper into the research arena. Through this blog, we will take a look at the varied range of courses and institutions offering Masters in Canada.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Masters in Canada?
Home to over 90 academic institutions, Canada offers a plethora of master’s degree programs in almost every field of study. In 2018, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) ranked Canada as the world’s most educated country with over 56% of its adults having earned some kind of education after completing high school. Canadian universities and colleges offer globally recognized postgraduate degrees in almost every field such as Medicine, Politics, Technology, Business, Media, amongst others. Let’s take a look at the major reasons why opting for masters in Canada can help you get closer to your career goals:
- Incremental importance has been given to research when it comes to master’s degree courses offered in Canada. The academic institutions encourage postgraduate students to avail research opportunities to delve deeper into their chosen field of study and attain extensive knowledge that is more than just a degree.
- For master’s degrees, the cost of studying in Canada is comparatively affordable than mainstream countries like the UK and the USA.
- International students can choose from various enticing scholarships offered by Canadian universities and specially designed for meritorious candidates seeking an affordable education. When it comes to degree courses for masters in Canada, there are copious financial aid schemes that provide students with the required monetary assistance to pursue their dream program.
- If you want to explore full-time job opportunities after completing your masters in Canada, you can further apply for a work permit which can be acquired through quite a simplified procedure.
As there are numerous institutions offering a plethora of master’s degree programs in Canada, the eligibility criteria might differ from one University to another. Below we have listed down some of the common eligibility criteria you need to keep in mind while applying for masters in Canada, be it any course:
- Graduation degree equivalent to Canadian bachelor’s degree i.e., 10+2 and 3 or 4 years of an undergraduate degree program.
- Countable work experience in your chosen field of study.
- English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL are demanded as an integral part of the application process for masters in Canada.
- Candidates who are willing to opt Engineering or Management degree also have to appear for eligibility examinations like GMAT and GRE.
Looking to study in Canada? Here’s a guide for you
Study in Canada [Ultimate 2021 Guide for Indian Students]
Masters in Canada: Legal Requirements
To appear for a conventional Masters in Canada, there are certain legal procedures that must be followed. From entry norms to Visa requirements, here are some of the things that you must keep in mind while going for education in Canada:
- In light of the worldwide pandemic, the Canadian Government is currently not issuing student Visas. However, students who wish to enter a University in Canada should stay updated with the Universities they prefer as Canadian colleges and universities are issuing letters of acceptance to international students.
- When the situation normalises, students must apply for a Visa with validity as long as the course duration, including the internship and part-time job duration.
- To work part-time in the country, students must apply for a temporary work permit with the Canadian authorities. The universities ensure that part-time work does not hamper with the course progression.
- The students must have proof of adequate funding that is required to pay for the tuition fee, as well as cover sustenance costs.
Must read: Life in Canada for Indians
Masters in Canada: Top Global Universites 2022
From Management to Fine Arts, students can choose from a wide range of postgraduate courses offered by Canadian universities. The following table elucidates some of the popular Universities and courses you must consider while exploring your options for pursuing masters in Canada:
|Name of the University||QS World University Rankings 2022||THE World University Rankings|
|University of Toronto||26||18|
|The University of British Columbia||46||34|
|University of Montreal||111||=73|
|University of Alberta||126||=131|
|University of Waterloo||=149||201-250|
|Dalhousie University||= 272||251-300|
|Simon Fraser University||=298||251-300|
|University of Manitoba||601-650||351-400|
Popular Masters Courses 2021
|University of Toronto||Masters of Medium Studies|
|McGill University||Masters of Management in Analytics|
|University of Dundee||Master of Education|
|University of British Columbia||MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|Trent University||Masters of Management|
|Westford University College||Masters of International Business|
|Adler University||Masters of Psychology|
|Royals Roads University||Masters of Global Management|
|Saint Mary’s University||International Masters of Teaching English|
|University of Lethbridge||Masters of Fine Arts|
|The Centre for Digital Media||Masters of Digital Media|
|Vancouver School of Theology||Masters of Divinity|
|Wycliffe College||Masters of Theological Studies in Development|
|The Global Alliance inManagement Education||Masters in International Management|
|Universite Du Quebec EnOutaouais||Masters in Social Sciences of Development|
This will help you explore more academic institutes in Canada:
Top 10 Colleges In Canada: All You Need To Know
It can cost anywhere between CAD $2,500 (INR 1,50,587) and CAD $18,000 (INR 10,84,233.30) in tuition cost. The overall expense can be more or less depending upon the individual lifestyle.
Canada is one of the top-ranked countries in the world for masters. Its universities like the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and McGill University are amongst the top 50 universities in QS World Rankings 2022.
To study in Canada, students need 3-4 years of bachelors, IELTS score, LORS and SOP.
Some of the most popular courses in Canada for masters are MBA, Engineering, Nursing, Psychology, International Relations, Data Science, Management, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences.
Opening doors to a multitude of striking opportunities, opting for your Masters in Canada can not only help you gain extensive knowledge and exposure into your field but you can also discover plenty of career prospects after the completion of your course and eventually get settled in the country. Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts with a free e-meeting today and we’ll guide you in choosing a suitable master’s degree course and university in Canada as well as throughout the application process to get you successfully shortlisted.