The maple leaf flag country, Canada is one of the best places in the world to pursue your higher education. Canada is an economical choice for pursuing bachelors and masters in Engineering, Psychology, Medicine, etc. If you are interested in doing MBBS in Canada, you might get confused with all of the information flooding on the Internet. Thus, here is an extensive guide on how you can go about MBBS in Canada and where you can study in Canada.
MBBS in Canada opens doors to research opportunities, exposure to various new techniques and also hands-on medical training in addition to the opportunity of studying in a beautiful setup. Stay tuned to know how to pursue MBBS in Canada, why to study MBBS in Canada and the top medical universities of Canada.
Pre-Requisites to Study MBBS in Canada
- If you want to pursue MBBS in Canada, you need to have an undergraduate degree with you in Biology or in Science.
- You need to be able to pass the basic entry requirement test.
- International Students must possess the minimum English fluency that is required. You can choose the IELTS or TOEFL exam to prove your English Fluency requirement. A minimum of 6.5 bands in IELTS and 80 for TOEFL are required if you are pursuing an undergraduate course. And if you are pursuing Masters, then you need 7 in IELTS and 90 in TOEFL.
- Doing MBBS in Canada in cities like Quebec, you would need 10+2 qualification and 1-year diploma course in CEGEP.
- MCAT- Medical College Admission Test is another way to study MBBS in Canada. You need to pass this basic entrance examination to fetch a good admission in one of the top medical colleges. Some medical universities in Canada may not require MCAT as a pre-requisite for the admission in their University.
As discussed before, studying in Canada can open many doors for you. But what exactly makes it the most sought after destination to study MBBS? Here are some of the advantages of or rather the facts about studying MBBS in Canada for international students:
- Reputed Colleges in the Country: When you sit for a job interview, the interviewers would definitely ask you about your graduation. In Canada, you have some of the best-ranked medical colleges of the world. The first and foremost advantage is the kind of reputation MBBS in Canada offers.
- Best Quality education and Highly Qualified Faculty: They say you can achieve great height if you have the right motivation and mentorship. Get the opportunity to learn from highly-qualified medical faculty of Canadian universities. Their teaching methodology is unique and interactive enough to make the students shine out.
- Best Place to Live in the World: Canada is one of those special places where you can have abundant opportunities to work and live and also stay in a comfortable, safe and happy environment.
- Diversity and Multicultural: Canada has people from varied corners of the globe, representing the world’s races and ethnicity. You will find a multi-cultural group of students in and outside your university.
- No Language Constraint: A lot of universities offer courses in English and French. So learning these two powerful languages can take you to places. For the Indian students, it will be easy, since there are many Indians already present in Canada.
- Recognized Degrees and Scope for Research: Canada offers internationally recognized degrees. Also, they offer quality education and encourage research. Thus, doing MBBS Canadian University will indeed be a learning experience for any student.
- Permission to Work: There are a few countries which might welcome you to study but would not grant any kind of work visa. Canada is not one of them. You can happily work after your graduation in Canada because of the liberal policies and abundant work opportunities. During your studies also, International students can work on the campus without any specific work permit.
- Scholarships: Studying in a foreign country isn’t cheap especially if your country’s economy is weaker than your study abroad destination. To get down the cost of studying abroad, availing scholarships is the best thing you can do. Thankfully, there are various scholarship options for pursuing MBBS in Canada.
- Excellent Pool of Opportunities Right after Graduation: Canada is the hotspot for education, work, and development right now! There are lucrative work opportunities, comfortable lifestyle along with numerous benefits for students after completing MBBS in Canada.
Top Medical Universities in Canada
- University of Manitoba: Situated in Western Canada, this University is one of the best universities to do some research-oriented programs. Also, this University is home to 47 doctoral programs, 90 master’s program, and a diploma program. It is definitely a place where you can make your ‘MBBS in Canada’ dream come true. The University of Manitoba also accepts 30 different scholarships. Moreover, you need an overall score of 6.5 in IELTS to secure admission in this university.
- University of Western Ontario: One of the oldest Universities in Canada, University of Western Ontario has the policy of delivering the best Western Experience. It is situated in is Ontario, Canada which is a regional medical and industrial hub. This University is a true example of multicultural experience as students from over 100 countries come to study here. You would require a minimum of 6.5 overall in IELTS if you want to join this college.
- Canadian Mennonite University: Canadian Mennonite University (CMU) is another university where you will meet the best minds of the medical field. CMU is situated in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. You need to have a minimum score of 80 in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS to secure a spot in this prominent Canadian medical university.
- Queen’s University: Queens’s University is an amalgamation of 175 years of tradition, research and quality academics. The university produces some of the most talented researchers, scholars, and physicians who develop the spirit to help their country in whatever way they can. It is one of Canada’s oldest universities and is situated in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. An overall score of 6.5 in IELTS is compulsory to secure admission for MBBS in this university.
- Trinity Western University: The Trinity Western University is located in BC, outside Langley, Canada. It is over 45 minutes’ drive from Vancouver and one hour from the North Shore Mountains. Also, this University houses some of the best undergraduate and graduate programs in Canada. You have excellent services here like the health and food services, housing centers and fitness centers. You also have a study area and a bookstore. It is a complete 157-acre campus and is one of the most beautiful campuses in the world! To get into this University, you would require a minimum of 6.5 overall in your IELTS with 6.0 in your Writing Band or a minimum score of 88 in TOEFL.
- University of Waterloo: The University of Waterloo which is situated in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada was founded in 1957 with a mere 74 students. Now, there are over 31,000 undergraduates, 5,000 graduate students studying at this university. Also, this campus is over 1000 acres and there are over 100+ buildings in the campus. This University is a breath of academics, opportunities, and hope. Also, it requires a 6.5 overall score in IELTS and 90 in the TOEFL test.
- University of Alberta: Situated in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, University of Alberta is one of the topmost Canadian University for Medicine. Being in the top 100 universities of the world, it is home to more than 500 graduate courses and programs and also, it is one of the best places to study MBBS in Canada. They also have many leadership and research partnerships. They include administrative and industrial collaborations. To be admitted to this University, you need 6.5 in IELTS overall and a minimum score of 88 in TOEFL.
- University of Calgary: Situated in Calgary, University of Calgary was founded in 1966 as a publicly funded research institute. Also, it is one of the best research institutes in Canada. Ranked as the 217th best University in the world, this college covers more than 190 hectares of land. Also, it is the best example of great energy and diversity. Now it has more than 30k+ students, 173,000+ alumni network. You would need a minimum of 7 in IELTS if you want to pursue nursing or 6.5 for other programs.
Scholarships that are accepted by the Canadian Universities:
When you are studying MBBS in Canada or any other medical program in the case, you can acquire government-funded scholarships or non-government funded scholarships You can acquire government scholarships like:
– NSERC postgraduate scholarships
– Canada graduate scholarships.
You can also opt for private scholarships like the Canadian Rhodes Scholars Foundation Scholarship. If you don’t get hang of these, you can opt for the scholarships that are directly offered by the Canadian universities. You also have Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships, etc for funding your MBBS in Canada. All these scholarships are given based on merit.
FAQs about MBBS in Canada
What is the cost to study MBBS in Canada?
The cost of Studying MBBS in Canada can cost you Rs15,00,000/- to 25,00,000 per year. There are scholarships for Indian students sponsored by Indian Government by which medical courses can be pursued at low cost budgets.
What is the eligibility criteria for studying MBBS in Canada?
The most important criteria of getting into medical universities in Canada is qualifying the language proficiency test. Candidates are also required to qualify the IELTS examination with minimum 6.0. Getting qualified in MCAT is also a compulsory requirement to take admissions in Canadian universities.
Is MBBS in Canada valid in India?
All the Government Medical Universities of Canada are globally recognized by the Medical Council of India and World Health organisation. Students can practice medicine in any part of the world after securing Medical Degree from Canada universities.
Is MBBS in Canada safe for Indian Students?
Canada is a place half filled with Non Recognized Indian. Pursuing any higher education in Canada is completely safe for Indian Students. There are special provisions provided by Canada Government to International students which helps in emergency.
Is it possible to work along with studying MBBS in Canada?
MBBS in Canada is a 6 (5+1 year of Internship) years program which requires a lot of concentration and dedication from its students. Working along the course is not advised. However, universities provide paid internships in last year for better practical learnings and knowledge.
If you are from India, you can happily study MBBs in Canada as the country is known to provide internationally recognized degrees, comfortable environment, and favorable work opportunities. If you choose to come back, you can also practice medicine in India as the Canadian degrees are recognized by the Indian Medical Council. Get in touch with Leverage Edu today and take the first step toward pursuing MBBS in Canada.