When you are planning to study in Canada, you are choosing a country in the North American continent that shares its southern border with the US. Canada is a very significant centre of quality education, specifically in the medical educational domain – attracting thousands of international students. MBBS is one of the most sought after degrees in the world, besides Engineering and MBA. However, the country has set very high academic standards and medical students in Canada get exposure to excellent medical education, teaching and hands-on training. Here in this comprehensive blog, we are going to find out if there is an MBBS in Canada.
International students planning to study in any of the medical universities in Canada should keep in mind that not all medical institutions accept applications from foreign students. Despite the fact that Canadian universities offer medical programs in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, etc., studying medicine remains one of the most competitive in the world.
As an International Medical Student (IMS) or International Medical Graduate (IMG), if you are thinking of practising as a physician in Canada, then you must be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC). MCC grants a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) to graduate physicians who have passed from the university listed in the MCC database.
This Blog Includes:
Admission Requirements for MBBS in Canada
- Undergraduate Degree: If you want to pursue MBBS in Canada, you need to have an undergraduate degree in Biology or in Science. Doing MBBS in Canada in cities like Quebec, you would need 10+2 qualification and a 1-year diploma course in CEGEP. Apart from this, you also need to pass the basic entry requirement test.
- English Language Proficiency Tests: International Students must possess the minimum English fluency that is required. You can choose the IELTS or TOEFL exam to prove your English Fluency requirement. A minimum of 6.5 bands in IELTS and 80 for TOEFL are required if you are pursuing an undergraduate course. And if you are pursuing Masters, then you need 7 in IELTS and 90 in TOEFL.
- MCAT: The Medical College Admission Test is another way to study MBBS in Canada. You need to pass this basic entrance examination to fetch admission to one of the top medical colleges. Some medical universities in Canada may not require MCAT as a pre-requisite for admission to their University.
- The Indian students need to clear the NEET exam to pursue MBBS in Canada.
- Candidates should also look into the requirements for the Canada Visa for Indian Students and medical test for Canada student visa.
Why Study MBBS in Canada?
As discussed before, studying in Canada can open many doors for you. But what exactly makes it the most sought after destination to study MBBS? Here are some of the advantages of or rather the facts about studying MBBS in Canada for international students:
- Reputed Colleges in the Country
- Best Quality education and Highly Qualified Faculty
- Best Place to Live in the World
- Diversity and Multicultural
- No Language Constraint
- Recognized Degrees and Scope for Research
- Jobs in Canada with Work Permit
- Excellent Pool of Opportunities Right after Graduation
- Canada Education System
Also Read: Scholarship in Canada for Masters
Also Read: Canada Student Visa IELTS Band Requirements
MBBS in Canada: Scholarships
When you are studying MBBS in Canada or any other medical program in the case, you can acquire government-funded or non-government funded scholarships. Listed below are some of the government scholarships:
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Canada Graduate Scholarships
You can also opt for private scholarships or those which are directly offered by Canadian universities to fund your MBBS in Canada. All these scholarships are given based on merit. Some of which have been listed below:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Canadian Rhodes Scholars Foundation Scholarship
- Dr. John E Bradley Scholarship
- Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
- Queena Esdale Memorial Scholarship
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
Q1: What is the cost to study MBBS in Canada?
The cost of Studying MBBS in Canada can cost you Rs15,00,000/- to 25,00,000 per year. There are scholarships for Indian students sponsored by the Indian Government by which medical courses can be pursued at low-cost budgets. However, there is no MBBS in Canada, the course is popularly known as MD.
Q2: What is the eligibility criteria for studying MBBS in Canada?
The most important criteria for getting into medical universities in Canada is qualifying the language proficiency test. Candidates are also required to qualify the IELTS examination with a minimum of 6.0. Getting qualified in MCAT is also a compulsory requirement to take admissions in Canadian universities.
Q3: Is MBBS in Canada valid in India?
All the Government Medical Universities of Canada are globally recognized by the Medical Council of India and the World Health organisation. Students can practice medicine in any part of the world after securing Medical Degree from Canada universities.
Q4: Is MBBS in Canada safe for Indian Students?
Canada is a place half-filled with Indian. Pursuing any higher education in Canada is completely safe for Indian Students. There are special provisions provided by the Canada Government to International students which helps in an emergency.
Q5: Is it possible to work along with studying MBBS in Canada?
MBBS in Canada is a 6 (5+1 year of Internship) years program which requires a lot of concentration and dedication from its students. Working along the course is not advised. However, universities provide paid internships in last year for better practical learnings and knowledge.
Q6: Can we go abroad for MBBS without NEET?
For Indian Students, NEET is an important medical entrance exam. It is advised that all the students willing to study MBBS abroad must clear the exam to practise medicine in India later.
Q7. Is Indian MBBS valid in Canada?
If a student plans to pursue Courses after MBBS then Indian MBBS is valid to meet the eligiblity criteria of the selected courses.
If you are from India, you can happily study MBBS in Canada as the country is known to provide internationally recognized degrees, a comfortable environment, and favourable work opportunities. If you choose to come back, you can also practice medicine in India as the Canadian degrees are recognized by the Indian Medical Council. Get in touch with Leverage Edu today and take the first step toward pursuing MBBS in Canada in the upcoming academic session of 2020-21.