The maple leaf flag country, Canada is one of the best places in the world to pursue your higher education. Canada is an economical choice for pursuing bachelors and masters in Engineering, Psychology, Medicine, etc. If you are interested in doing MBBS in Canada, you might get confused with all of the information flooding on the Internet. Thus, here is an extensive guide on how you can go about MBBS in Canada and where you can study medicine in Canada.
MBBS in Canada opens doors to research opportunities, exposure to various new techniques and also hands-on medical training in addition to the opportunity of studying in a beautiful setup. Stay tuned to know how to pursue MBBS in Canada, why to study MBBS in Canada and the top medical universities of Canada.
Pre-Requisites to Study MBBS in Canada
- If you want to pursue MBBS in Canada, you need to have an undergraduate degree with you in Biology or in Science.
- You need to be able to pass the basic entry requirement test.
- International Students must possess the minimum English fluency that is required. You can choose the IELTS or TOEFL exam to prove your English Fluency requirement. A minimum of 6.5 bands in IELTS and 80 for TOEFL are required if you are pursuing an undergraduate course. And if you are pursuing Masters, then you need 7 in IELTS and 90 in TOEFL.
- Doing MBBS in Canada in cities like Quebec, you would need 10+2 qualification and 1-year diploma course in CEGEP.
- MCAT- Medical College Admission Test is another way to study MBBS in Canada. You need to pass this basic entrance examination to fetch a good admission in one of the top medical colleges. Some medical universities in Canada may not require MCAT as a pre-requisite for the admission in their University.
As discussed before, studying in Canada can open many doors for you. But what exactly makes it the most sought after destination to study MBBS? Here are some of the advantages of or rather the facts about studying MBBS in Canada for international students:
- Reputed Colleges in the Country: When you sit for a job interview, the interviewers would definitely ask you about your graduation. In Canada, you have some of the best-ranked medical colleges of the world. The first and foremost advantage is the kind of reputation MBBS in Canada offers.
- Best Quality education and Highly Qualified Faculty: They say you can achieve great height if you have the right motivation and mentorship. Get the opportunity to learn from highly-qualified medical faculty of Canadian universities. Their teaching methodology is unique and interactive enough to make the students shine out to their best.
- Best Place to Live in the World: Canada is one of those special places where you can have abundant opportunities to work and live and also stay in a comfortable, safe and happy environment.
- Diversity and Multicultural: Canada has people from varied corners of the globe, representing the world’s races and ethnicity. You will find a multi-cultural group of students in and outside your university.
- No Language Constraint: A lot of universities offer courses in English and French. So learning these two powerful languages can take you to places. For the Indian students, it will be easy, because many Indians are already present in Canada, especially the North-Indians.
- Recognized Degrees and Scope for Research: Canada offers internationally recognized degrees. Also, they offer quality education and encourage research. Thus, doing MBBS Canadian University will indeed be a learning experience for any student.
- Permission to Work: There are a few countries which might welcome you to study but would not grant any kind of work visa. Canada is not one of them. You can happily work after your graduation in Canada because of the liberal policies and abundant work opportunities. During your studies also, International students can work on the campus without any specific work permit.
- Scholarships: Studying in a foreign country isn’t cheap especially if your country’s economy is weaker than your study abroad destination. To get down the cost of studying abroad, availing scholarships is the best thing you can do. Thankfully, there are various scholarship options for pursuing MBBS in Canada.
- Excellent Pool of Opportunities Right after Graduation: Canada is the hotspot for education, work, and development right now! There are lucrative work opportunities, comfortable lifestyle along with numerous benefits for students after completing MBBS in Canada.
Top Medical Universities in Canada
- University of Manitoba: Situated in Western Canada, this University is one of the best universities to do some research-oriented programs. Also, this University is home to 47 doctoral programs, 90 master’s program, and a diploma program. It is definitely a place where you can make your ‘MBBS in Canada’ dream come true. The University of Manitoba also accepts 30 different scholarships. Moreover, you need an overall score of 6.5 in IELTS to secure admission in this university.
- University of Western Ontario: One of the oldest Universities in Canada, University of Western Ontario has the policy of delivering the best Western Experience. It is situated in is Ontario, Canada which is a regional medical and industrial hub. This University is a true example of multicultural experience as students from over 100 countries come to study here. You would require a minimum of 6.5 overall in IELTS if you want to join this college.
- Canadian Mennonite University: Canadian Mennonite University (CMU) is another university where you will meet the best of minds in the medical field. CMU is situated in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. You need to have a minimum score of 80 in TOEFL and 6.5 in IELTS to enter in this prominent Canadian medical university.
- Queen’s University: Queens’s University is an amalgamation of 175 years of tradition, research and quality academics. The university produces some of the most talented researchers, scholars, and physicians who develop the spirit to help their country in whatever way they can. It is one of Canada’s oldest universities and is situated in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. An overall score of 6.5 in IELTS is compulsory to secure admission for MBBS in this university.
- Trinity Western University: The Trinity Western University is located in BC, outside Langley, Canada. It is over 45 minutes’ drive from Vancouver and one hour from the North Shore Mountains. Also, this University houses some of the best undergraduate and graduate programs in Canada. You have excellent services here like the health and food services, housing centers and fitness centers. You also have a study area and a bookstore. It is a complete 157-acre campus and is one of the most beautiful campuses in the world! To get into this University, you would require a minimum of 6.5 overall in your IELTS with 6.0 in your Writing Band or a minimum score of 88 in TOEFL.
- University of Fraser Valley: Located in the beautiful Fraser Valley, University of Fraser Valley is a Public University that enrolls almost 15-16 thousand students every year. It has its campuses in different areas like Abbotsford, Mission, Hope, Agassiz, and Chilliwack. It is close to many adventure spots so much so that you can get to the ski hills in a matter of a few minutes. Moreover, in less than an hour, you would find yourself at the USA border. To be admitted for MBBS in this University, you would require a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS or 88 in TOEFL.
- University of Waterloo: The University of Waterloo which is situated in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada was founded in 1957 with a mere 74 students. Now, there are over 31,000 undergraduates, 5,000 graduate students studying at the university. Also, this campus is over 1000 acres and there are over 100+ buildings in the campus. This University is a breath of academics, opportunities, and hope. Also, it requires a 6.5 overall score in IELTS and 90 in the TOEFL test.
- University of Alberta: Situated in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, University of Alberta is one of the topmost Canadian University for Medicine. Also, it is in the Top 100 in the world universities, which is home to more than 500 graduate courses and programs and also, it is one of the best places to study MBBS in Canada. They also have many leadership and research partnerships. They include administrative and industrial collaborations. To be admitted to this University, you need 6.5 in IELTS overall and a minimum score of 88 in TOEFL.
- University of Calgary: Situated in Calgary, University of Calgary was founded in 1966 as a publicly funded research institute. Also, it is one of the best research institutes in Canada. Ranked as the 217th best University in the world, this college covers more than 190 hectares of land. Also, it is the best example of great energy and diversity. Now it has more than 30k+ students, 173,000+ alumni network. You would need a minimum of 7 in IELTS if you want to pursue nursing or 6.5 for other programs.
- University of Victoria: Situated in British Colombia, Canada, University of Victoria is a splendid University offering courses to more than 20,000 students worldwide. It is a dynamic institution filled with highly qualified faculty. In addition to this, it promoted research like nobody else and strives hard to make a great impact on society. Moreover, it is ranked amongst the top 250 universities of the world. You would require a 6.5 overall score in IELTS with 6.0 score in all the bands. Also, you would require a minimum of 90 on the TOEFL internet-based test.
Scholarships that are accepted by the Canadian Universities:
When you are studying MBBS in Canada or any other medical program in the case, you can acquire government-funded scholarships or non-government funded scholarships You can acquire government scholarships like:
– NSERC postgraduate scholarships
– Canada graduate scholarships.
You can also opt for private scholarships like the Canadian Rhodes Scholars Foundation Scholarship. If you don’t get hang of these, you can opt for the scholarships that are directly offered by the Canadian universities. You also have Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships, etc for funding your MBBS in Canada. All these scholarships are given on merit-based.
If you are from India, you can happily study MBBs in Canada as the country is known to provide internationally recognized degrees, comfortable environment, and favorable work opportunities. If you choose to come back, you can also practice medicine in India as the Canadian degrees are recognized by the Indian Medical Council. Get in touch with Leverage Edu today and take the first step toward pursuing MBBS in Canada.