The Canadian hospitality has seen unprecedented growth both in terms of rising career avenues and industries as well as the increased reputation and quality of hotel management courses across North America. In addition to that, the relatively low cost of studying in Canada and a plethora of short or long term, industry-inclined degrees to choose from, it becomes one of the top study abroad destinations to pursue a hotel management course from. In this blog, we will focus on what it entails studying a Hotel Management course in Canada, the major courses offered and a list of universities among.
Quick Read: Hotel Management Courses After 12th
This Blog Includes:
- Hotel Management Course in Canada: Course Highlights
- Why Study Hospitality Management Courses in Canada?
- Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada
- List of Hotel Management Courses in Canada
- Hotel Management Courses in Canada for International Students Without IELTS
- Hotel Management Colleges in Canada
- Hotel Management Course Fees in Canada
- Cost of Living in Canada
- Hospitality Management courses in Canada Scholarships
- Career Prospects after Hospitality Management in Canada
- Scope of Hotel Management in Canada
Hotel Management Course in Canada: Course Highlights
|PG-level Degree Type||Masters, Post Baccalaureate Diploma, Graduate Certificate degrees|
|Duration||1 to 2 years|
|Graduate Certificate Eligibility||A diploma or a 4-year bachelor’s degree|
|Graduate Diploma Eligibility||An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject with at least 65% or more aggregate marks|
|Exams required||TOEFL/ IELTS|
|Fees||9 to 22 Lac (INR)|
|Top Sectors||Corporate Hospitality, Global Tourism Management, Resort and Hotel Management, Hotel Operations Management|
|Starting Salary offered||17-23 Lac/ year (INR)|
Why Study Hospitality Management Courses in Canada?
The hotel and tourist business in Canada is quickly expanding, generating a plethora of work prospects for graduates. The statistics that support this claim are as follows:
- According to jobbank.gc.ca, new job vacancies for hotel managers, assistant hotel managers, and hospitality/tourism business development managers are predicted to be roughly 43,400 from 2019 to 2028, with 42,700 new job seekers, making it a job market.
- An Assistant Hotel Manager’s pay in Canada ranges from 58,240 CAD (33.5 lac) to 124,800 CAD (71.8 Lac).
- You are offered a compensation of 44,964 CAD (25.8 Lac) as a newly hired Hospitality Manager after finishing a top course in Canada, minus housing, transportation, and other benefits. This wage rises as the number of years spent on the work grows.
- The global tourism business will increase rapidly as more than one billion people travel throughout the world in a single year. International visitor visits are predicted to exceed 1.8 billion by 2030, according to the UNWTO’s long-term prediction.
- According to Tourist HR Canada, Canada’s projected labour deficit in tourism services might reach over 240,000 full-time employment by 2030.
Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada
The eligibility criteria for Hotel Management courses in Canada will mainly vary as per the programme and university you have chosen. Some of the basic eligibility requirements are as follows:
- For bachelor’s degree programmes in Hotel Management, the candidate must have completed their 10+2 education from a recognized board of education with the minimum marks specified by the university.
- For master’s degree programmes in Hotel Management, the candidate must have completed a 3-year bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- You will have to provide scores of English language proficiency test such as IELTS or TOEFL along with copies of official transcripts and CV.
- You will be required to submit an SOP along with your application and for some programmes, you might also need to provide LORs as well as GRE/GMAT scores (if applicable).
Further, it is also important to go through the Canada student Visa IELTS band requirements so as to avoid any last-minute hurdles.
Documents Required to Study Hospitality Management Courses in Canada
- Official Transcripts. (School secondary certificates, undergraduate certificate)
- Language test scores
- Statement of Purpose (may be required)
- Letter of Recommendation (can be asked in some colleges)
- A valid passport
- Canadian Student Visa
To know more about Eligibility Requirements to study in Canada, you can check out our blog on eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada.
List of Hotel Management Courses in Canada
As discussed, a Hotel Management course in Canada is offered through various degree options catering to the needs and requirements of individual hailing from diverse backgrounds. This ranges from the bachelor’s to master’s level as well as skill-based certificate, diploma and advanced diploma courses. All these courses equip individuals for building a successful career in hotel management across industries such as hospitality, tourism, restaurant, catering, resort management, operations, club management, etc. Scores of graduates after gaining a few years of experience in traditional Hotel Management jobs choose to move on to core management areas including but not limited to event management, operations, strategy and consulting. Take a look at the following list of Hotel Management courses in Canada:
|Education Level||Hotel Management Courses in Canada|
|UG Diploma/Certificate||Diploma in Hotel and Restaurant Management
Diploma in Culinary Management
|Bachelor’s Degree||Bachelor’s in Hospitality- Hotel Operations Management
Bachelors in International Hotel Management
Bachelor in Hotel and Food Administration
Bachelor in Culinary Management
BA Global Tourism Management
Bachelor in Hospitality- Event Management
Bachelor in Resort and Hotel Management
|Master’s Degree||Master’s in Hospitality Management Studies
Master in Global Hospitality-Business Development
Master in Global Hospitality-Operations Management
|PG Diploma/Certificate||Postgraduate Diploma in Tourism and Hotel Management
Graduate Certificate in Hospitality Skills
Advanced Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management
Postgraduate Certificate in Tourism Management
Postgraduate Diploma in Resort Experience Management
Postgraduate Certificate in Hotel, Resort and Restaurant Management
A brief overview of the major courses offered has been given below.
Certificate/Diploma/Advanced Diploma in Hotel Management
One of the most popular options to pursue a hotel management course in Canada are the myriad certificate/diploma/advanced diploma courses. These short term diploma courses in Canada run for anywhere between 6 months to 3 years and are designed in line with industry needs. The primary objective of these programs is to introduce individuals to the real-world scenarios of the hotel management industry through both skill-based topics and experiential learning which is done through work placements, capstone projects, and hotel management operations simulations.
Must Read: 1 Year Courses in Canada
A bachelor’s level hotel management course in Canada is generally offered in the form of BBA in Hotel Management, BSc in Hotel Management and Catering or Bachelor of Hotel Management, amongst others. Such courses run for a duration of 3-4 years and focus on imparting a multidimensional understanding of core hotel management areas as well as building a solid foundation of business concepts like finance, human resources, marketing, etc.
Also Read: 2 Years PG Diploma Courses in Canada
Hotel Management Courses in Canada for International Students Without IELTS
|Hospitality Hotel Operations Management||Centennial College|
|Global Hospitality Business Development||Seneca College|
|Global Hospitality Operations Management||Seneca College|
|Diploma in Hospitality Management||Camosun College|
|Hospitality – Hotel and Restaurant Operations Management||Algonquin College|
|Hospitality And Tourism Management||Sault College|
|Hospitality and Tourism Operations Management||Humber College|
|Global Hospitality Management||Conestoga College|
Hotel Management Colleges in Canada
To give you a brief overview, we have curated a list of institutes and colleges which offer a hotel management course in Canada. Glance over their course offerings which you can consider:
|Name of University||Hotel Management Course in Canada|
|Saskatchewan Polytechnic||Diploma of Hotel & Restaurant Management [70 weeks]|
|Centennial College||1. Diploma in Hospitality: Hotel Operations Management [2 years]2. Advanced Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Administration [3 Years]3. Graduate Certificate in Hotel, Resort & Restaurant Management [1 Year]|
|Royal Roads University||BA in International Hotel Management [2 Years]|
|Capilano University||Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Hotel and Restaurant Management [2 Years]|
|College of New Caledonia||Post Diploma in Tourism & Hotel Management [2 Years]|
|Selkirk College||Diploma in Resort & Hotel Management [2 Years]|
|Humber College||Diploma in Hospitality: Hotel & Restaurant Operations Management [2 Years]|
|Thompson Rivers University||Diploma in Resort & Hotel Management [2 Years]|
|Algonquin College||Bachelor of Hospitality & Tourism Management (Honors) [4 Years]|
|George Brown College||Diploma Hospitality: Hotel Operations Management [2 Years]|
Hotel Management Course Fees in Canada
Every university has a different tuition fee for hotel management courses in Canada. However, the general fee can cost around INR 9 lakhs to INR 20 lakhs.
|Name of University||Fees|
|Saskatchewan Polytechnic||INR 8.5 Lakhs|
|Centennial College||INR 18.7 Lakhs|
|Royal Roads University||INR 14.8 Lakhs|
|Humber College||INR 9.8 Lakhs|
|Thompson Rivers University||INR 15.4 Lakhs|
|Algonquin College||INR 20.9 Lakhs|
|George Brown College||INR 10.6 Lakhs|
Cost of Living in Canada
|Type of Expense||Cost (in CAD)||Equivalent Costs in INR|
|Books & Supplies||2000||112,080|
|Food Expenses||100 (weekly)||5,600 (weekly)|
|Self-Driven Vehicle||8,500- 13,000 (annually)||476,700- 729,000 (annually)|
|Accommodation||5,000-13,000 (annually)||280,200 – 728,500 (annually)|
Hospitality Management courses in Canada Scholarships
|Name of the Scholarship||Benefits for the International Student|
|BrokerFish International Student Scholarship||1000 USD on Health Insurance Expenses|
|Debesh Kamal Scholarship||Up to 1 Lac (INR)|
|The COVID-19 International Returner bursary Award||500 CAD – 1,500 CAD|
|International Entrance Scholarship||CAD 2,000 off student’s tuition fees over the course of their first year of studies|
|Academic Advancement Scholarship||Up to 5 awards of up to 1,000 CAD|
|Indspire Post-Secondary Education Scholarship||Varies|
Career Prospects after Hospitality Management in Canada
|Job Profile||Average Salary offered/ year (in CAD)|
|Customer Service Representative||31,000 – 65,000|
|Operations Manager||44,000 – 105,000|
|Restaurant Manager||34,000 – 56,000|
|Customer Service Manager||40,000 – 83,000|
|Administrative Assistant||31,000 – 53,000|
|Food Safety Manager||45,350|
|Assistant Hotel Manager||58,240|
Also Read: IELTS 5.5 Band Colleges in Canada
Scope of Hotel Management in Canada
- By studying hotel management in Canada, you may expand your range of career options.
- The finest job options in hotel management in Canada are listed below:
- Restaurant management, corporate travel manager, coordinator of events, manager of food services, manager of public relations, manager of events and meetings, hostess, and coordinator of leadership development.
It may be quite satisfying to work in the hospitality and hotel management sectors. You must establish your goals early on in your studies if you want to find a respectable job and have a great career. For instance, it helps to have a few short-course credentials on your CV if you like to cook and want to work as a chef.
Though the specific prerequisites will differ as per the course and university, the basic eligibility requirements for Hotel Management courses in Canada are:
1. For bachelor’s degree programmes in Hotel Management, it is important that the applicant must have completed their 10+2 education from a recognized board of education with the minimum marks specified by the university.
2. For master’s degree programmes in Hotel Management, the institution will require the candidate to have graduated in any discipline having completed a 3-year bachelor’s degree.
3. For diploma and certificate programmes, the academic criteria is quite relaxed.
4. English language proficiency scores of IELTS or TOEFL are required for all programmes.
5. Some universities and colleges in Canada might also ask you to provide GRE/GMAT scores, if applicable.
There are many universities and colleges in Canada that offer a multitude of Hotel Management programmes at bachelor’s, master’s as well as diploma and certificate level. Some of the major colleges/universities that are considered best for Hotel Management in Canada include, Centennial College, Royal Roads University, Capilano University, Humber College, George Brown College, Algonquin College, Thompson Rivers University, amongst others.
Canada has a thriving hotel and tourism industry which offers a multitude of career opportunities in varied fields such as hotel management, tourism, event management as well as resort management. Completing your hotel management course in Canada, you can explore a wide range of job prospects in the travel and tourism as well as hotel and hospitality sector.
Thus, with a multitude of degree programs available, pursuing a hotel management course in Canada can be a fruitful experience. If you are confused about which university to enroll in then consult Leverage Edu’s team of experts in a free 30 minutes free career counselling session for quality guidance and one-stop application support so that you can take a step towards a vibrant career.