To aesthetically present a movie on the screen, great actors are the requisites. Similar is the case when one is carving their own career path. From choosing the right course to getting into your dream university, you need to take each step carefully. As a crucial part of the eligibility criteria, the universities often demand LORs, SOPs or entrance test scores to assess the candidates and their suitability for the chosen course. A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is one such element that beholds great value in the admission process of those aspiring to study abroad. Creating an alluring SOP is essential to help the assessment committee understand your willingness for the program you have applied for. This blog aims to provide a comprehensive step-by-step guide on drafting a statement of purpose that can help you sail smoothly through the assessment process and get entry into your dream academic institution.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Statement of Purpose (SOP)?
- Why is SOP important?
- SOP Format
- How to Write a Statement of Purpose?
- What Do Colleges Look for in an SOP?
- How to Write A Perfect Statement of Purpose?(SOP / Admissions Essay)
- How to Write a powerful and convincing SOP?
- How Long Should be an SOP?
- What to include in an SOP?
- What not to include in an SOP?
- Do’s for Your SOP Application
- 10 Tips to Write a Successful Statement of Purpose
- Statement of Purpose Samples
- SOP Formats for USA, Canada, UK, and Australia
- Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid While Writing an SOP
- Can SOPs help with Scholarships?
- SOP vs Letter of Motivation
- SOP vs Personal Statement
What is a Statement of Purpose (SOP)?
A Statement of Purpose can be referred to as an informative document, containing personal statements, and is essentially required as part of the admission procedure of study abroad programs. Also referred to as an application essay, it comprises the basic details of a candidate along with their professional and personal interests, academic highlights as well as future aspirations. An SOP plays an integral role in the application process of a study abroad program as it provides the admission board with the key information about the candidate and why they want to study a particular course at their institution. It not only describes who you are as an individual but also gives an idea about your writing skills and proficiency in the English language.
Why is SOP important?
A well-written SOP is an extremely significant element during your admission process. While the academic record and other exam scorecards, academic transcripts and backlog certificates are essentially objective in nature, an SOP is the only truly subjective aspect of your application. It is the only document in your application that gives you the opportunity to prove that you have something unique which makes you stand out from the crowd. As such, it is the document of your application docket that can hugely determine your admission.
As such, there is no particular or proper format for writing a statement of purpose or an SOP. Students have to write an SOP just like an elaborative and descriptive English essay dividing the whole context into different paragraphs. Each paragraph must be having distinctive features describing different scenarios, features or characteristics about yourself. You can take the help of the below-provided structure and get started with writing an SOP for the university you want to study in.
|Paragraph||Distinctive feature to describe|
|Paragraph 1||Self-introduction Your background, in brief, Your long term goals/vision Purpose to opt for this university and course (briefly)Remember: the first impression is the last impression|
|Paragraph 2||Past academic background Professional experience (if any)|
|Paragraph 3||Academic achievements Strengths Opportunities Academic recognition Projects undertook Professional achievements Industrial exposure|
|Paragraph 4||Discuss in detail, Why do you want to study this course or program. Discuss your goals and your future expectations from this course or program.|
|Paragraph 5||Where do you see yourself in 5 years after you will be graduate from this university/college? Discuss your future objectives and your career plans and goals.|
|Paragraph 6||Why this university/college? Mention about different departments, different university activities, recognition, awards, faculty members, environment, infrastructure, the methodology adopted etc.|
|Paragraph 7||Ending/ closure of the SOP on a thankful note.|
How to Write a Statement of Purpose?
As a pivotal document for any study abroad application, an SOP needs to be precisely well-written. To help you understand the different elements of this document, we have curated a step-by-step procedure that you can follow to curate an impressive statement of purpose.
The first step of the process of drafting a statement of purpose is to think about the varied aspects of your candidature that you should mention in it. The mandatory inclusions of an SOP are academic achievements (especially at the undergraduate level), prior work exposure or volunteering experiences. Start with framing an outline for the document and ask yourself the following questions:
- Which field of study excites me the most?
- Why do I want to pursue this degree?
- What are my expectations from this degree?
- What outgrowth can this degree offer me?
- Where can this degree take me, personally and professionally?
- Through my pre-requisites, what values can I add to this program?
Once you have made key pointers for most of the questions mentioned above, you can begin jotting them down in a thorough and comprehensive manner.
Now that you know what you want to mention in your SOP, it’s time to curate a rough outline for the document. Here is a list of some essential tips you need to keep in mind while formulating your statement of purpose:
- Since the admission committee strives to understand your candidature through the SOP, you need to be honest in describing your career aspirations and objectives. Focus centrally on maintaining the authenticity of your mentioned details. Duly elaborate on your advantageous perception of the chosen course.
- Creatively cite your personal and professional interests. Mention what you are passionate about and what excites you. Then, sensibly connect it with your chosen program and how it will assist you in grooming your skills. For instance, you can state that you are aspiring to gain experiential learning or training in your desired industry through the course.
- What brought you here should be a sure-shot mention in your SOP. You can begin with stating those features of your chosen course that convinced you to opt for it. Then, write down the objectives you want to fulfil by studying the program. It can be personal growth or professional upliftment or even both. Try to be unique and precise when listing your reasons.
3. Revise and Modify
Once you have jotted down your SOP as per the above-mentioned necessary tips, the final and concluding step is to revise and make changes accordingly. Go through the list that you created in the beginning and ensure that you have added all of them.
- The word limit for a statement of purpose is between 500-1000.
- Do not miss out the predefined sizes for spacing, margins and font size.
- Try getting a second opinion but getting your SOP read from a friend or an experienced professional.
What Do Colleges Look for in an SOP?
Many foreign and even national universities ask for a Statement of Purpose (SOP) from candidates wanting to enrol in suitable courses that the university has to offer. They ask for the SOP from candidates in order to check and look at the following things:
- The writing capabilities of the writer or the candidate
- The X factor that makes their writing stand out from the crowd
- Choice of thoughts and ideas that has been explained in the SOP
- The unique personality of the candidate
- Candidate’s talent, previous experiences, interests and potential
- How and what can the candidate contribute to the department of the college/university
- Candidate’s motivation or inspiration to study a selected course must be evident and justified
- The reason behind to choose a particular university/college and a particular course of study
- Academic and extracurricular achievements and recognitions (if any)
- Originality and clarity of the SOP as a whole.
To know more, read our blog on – How to Write an SOP?
How to Write A Perfect Statement of Purpose?(SOP / Admissions Essay)
How to Write a powerful and convincing SOP?
Whether applying for undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate programmes, the strategy of writing a powerful statement of purpose should be sound focused throughout. Starting from your academic and professional background to your career aspirations, you need to carefully connect all the dots between reaching your goals through your choice of school and course. The essay should always go in a flow covering your past experience, present involvements, and future plans. An important point to remember while writing your SOP would be to divide it into paragraphs that cover all the pointers. Here is a look at how you may write the SOP presenting your profile strongly:
This paragraph is often confused with self-introduction. It should not introduce you but should discuss what you are about to discuss in your SOP. There are multiple approaches you may adopt to go about this paragraph:
- Discuss your long-term goal and connect it with your idea of pursuing the course you are applying to
- Present your understanding of the chosen field and write how you want to contribute to that field
- Explain your background in 2-3 lines and connect it with your future goals
- Write about an anecdote that helped you realise your professional interest in the chosen field
Academic Background and Professional Experience
This comprises of your academic background: what you have done so far, what you are currently pursuing, your academic strengths and projects, and the industrial exposure you have attained.
This is the most important paragraph, where you should discuss your short and long-term goals. Your immediate goal would be where you would want to work right after completing this course. You should be able to name some companies within India along with the designation you see yourself working at. This should explain the kind of job profile you would be working on.
Then comes your long-term goal, wherein you should mention where you see yourself from 10-12 or 15 years down the line. This may include your desire of working at the CEO/CFO/CTO level or maybe establish a firm that you own. It may also include your dream of expanding your existing family business overseas. You may also be interested in further studies like a PhD which can be included here.
More in this section may include your desire of becoming a professor or researcher. In any case, it is suggested that you discuss your business aim, principles, and core values or how you would influence the young aspirants of this industry. You should be able to portray ‘how you wish to make a difference in the industry keeping in mind the current industrial scenarios and emerging trends.
Why This Course?
In this paragraph, you should discuss why you want to join a course and what modules would you tap during this course. It should also cover the skills you would acquire in this duration along with the exposure that would help in developing the skills desired to realise your goals.
Why This University?
This is a specific paragraph wherein you can convince a university as in how they are suitable for your profile and you are an ideal candidate for their university. You should discuss the course curriculum, research work, faculty names, as well as the university-specific activities that would help you in enhancing your profile.
How Long Should be an SOP?
Ideally, if considering an internationally renowned university, then the statement of purpose should be at least 1-2 pages long. In terms of word count, then the same should be around 1000 words. Having said that, the word limit and the length may also sometimes depend on the university that the candidate is targeting and also on the level of degree. Like for example, a candidate who is writing an SOP for an undergraduate program may not exceed 800 to 1000 words whereas a candidate who is writing an SOP for a PhD or M.Phil degree course has to write it in around 1200 words and sometimes even more. Some universities even have a fixed length and word count which is uniform for all the programs and courses.
|Degree Level||Word Count||Page Limit|
|Bachelors and Masters||800-1000||1-2 pages|
|Doctoral (Ph.D)/ Research||1000-1200||2-3 pages|
What to include in an SOP?
There are many elements to an SOP. Universities could ask question-based essays or simply a general statement of purpose. Until and unless categorically asked, an SOP must include your goals and the career path you have taken up so far as well as your academic progress. Other elements that are further important to the SOP are also the personal motivations that lead you to choose the university/course you have applied to as well as how you intend to use that experience to achieve that goal.
What not to include in an SOP?
Often Universities come across a lengthy statement of purpose and yet they reject it. Even when you cannot find one grammatical error, the seemingly excellent SOP would be rejected. And the primary reason is – too much unnecessary information. For instance, just because you might want to talk about your family, does not mean you go on and on to talk about only your family. While your SOP should be a brag sheet, it should be a brag sheet with a substance. You need to pick and choose what to include. Pick a theme and mention the accomplishments that make the most sense to your candidacy.
Do’s for Your SOP Application
Following are a few things that you must do in order to make your SOP application strong:
- Your Statement of Purpose should have a unique and engaging beginning as well as an end. It must be original, a reflection of you.
- Explain your academic background, present and future aspirations. Through this, you must justify your choice of a particular course for masters or doctorate courses.
- Upon reading your SOP, the admission officer should be able to understand how you can contribute to the university in terms of research and further scope in your chosen area.
- Always write your SOP in an active voice and ensure you provide information in a manner that is a reflection of your passion and optimism. If you have any statements or references, try quoting them with relevant examples rather than being direct.
10 Tips to Write a Successful Statement of Purpose
- Weave your career path into a story, not statements.
- Do not write what you think should be written. Personalise the SOP and make it your own.
- Do not stress over it. Although it is an important part of your application, the SOP should be a direct reflection of you.
- Find the deeper meaning behind the events of your life and pen them down.
- Give a strong reason as to why you chose the particular school and course.
- Be specific in the timeline of events.
- Use a formal but conversational tone.
- Accept your mistakes and explain how you are willing to act on improving. Use action items.
- Give yourself enough time to write the SOP and edit it constantly.
- Proofread, edit, re-edit and then edit it again! There is always room for improvement, remember that.
Statement of Purpose Samples
Here are some good examples of well structured SOPs that you can refer to while writing your own.
SOP Sample for Business Analytics
Sample Statement of Purpose for MBA
“A successful career in Business Management requires adequate knowledge to utilise the strengths and weaknesses of an individual. In my undergraduate degree, I majored in economics and psychology because I believe that understanding these two fields is important for leading a successful business. I want to increase my experiences and knowledge further by pursuing an Executive MBA, which will equip me with advanced skills that are necessary to achieve my career goals.
As I have carried out various leadership positions, I have learned how to efficiently work in teams and pursue the specified goals. In my previous company, ABC, I successfully implemented the strength-cum-weakness finder software which helped us assign projects to the groups based on the mapped data. As employees got allotted tasks as per their efficiency, it resulted in a 30% net gain for the company over the following year. I believe that a successful business leader understands the importance of strategically utilizing a company’s resources to ensure the maximum potential and development of the company. Further, the pivotal thing I learned about myself by taking up leadership roles is that teamwork is a crucial element of successfully achieving an organisation’s objectives. An Executive MBA will help me furnish my leadership skills imparting me with the knowledge of hierarchical structures and how to work with other leaders of different domains in an effective manner.
Studying for an Executive MBA, I plan to take charge of multiple team projects throughout the duration of the degree so that I can polish my teamwork skills. I aspire to work under industry leaders and attain global exposure. Pursuing this degree from your institution, I aim to gain professional as well as personal skills that can help me soar through my career journey.”
Sample Statement of Purpose for Masters
I had a keen interest in Biology since childhood. I was eager to learn about the living organisms around my surroundings and how they function. I took this interest forward and decided to pursue my higher education in biology. When I was first introduced to the field of biotechnology, I was mesmerized by what technology can do to improve the life of any living organism. This inspired me to look at various research programmes in biotechnology and how we are moving towards a phase where technology can alter even the basic fragments of any living organism and change the course of life an organism goes through. I observed the various research patterns that have been taking place in the agricultural industry with the advent of GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms) giving birth to the Green Revolution. This was only one potential achievement in the extensive list of achievements that biotechnology was progressing towards. I worked with a reputed biotech firm which gave me an insight into how fast-paced the research in biotechnology is. The firm gave me the necessary exposure leading me to decide that I want to pursue MS in Biotechnology. My ambition to work in this field lies essentially in bringing changes in the lifestyle of people in a way that I can research and extensively study the required positive steps towards climate change. My goal is to achieve a sustainable lifestyle for every individual. The exposure that your esteemed institution will give me in the field of research will help me achieve this goal by working at a reputed platform
- Sample SOP for Australian Student Visa
- SOP for MIM
- SOP Samples for MS
- SOP for MS in Data Science
- SOP for Business Analytics
- Sample SOP for MS in CS
- SOP for PG Diploma in Canada
- SOP for MBA: Essentials to Mention & Samples
- SOP for Australia
SOP Formats for USA, Canada, UK, and Australia
Here is the basic format for USA, Canada, UK and Australia:
Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid While Writing an SOP
If you are planning to study abroad and want to write a good and outstanding statement of purpose for the university that you are targeting, then here are some of the common mistakes that you can avoid from the very beginning while writing an SOP:
- Writing the SOP at the last moment without any plan of action or a roadmap
- Writing a weak and vague introduction and conclusion
- Using informal language, slangs, short forms in your SOP
- Exceeding the word limit and not reaching the correct word limit at all
- Making your SOP excessively flashy and flattery
Can SOPs help with Scholarships?
If you are eligible for any college-specific scholarships, then during the application process you will be required to write a separate essay/SOP. Either you will be given an essay prompt/question along with a word limit or they would simply ask for an SOP stating the reasons why you think you deserve this scholarship and/or what makes you unique from the rest of the candidates? Thus, a generic SOP is different from a scholarship SOP.
SOP vs Letter of Motivation
A Letter of Motivation is a letter directly addressed to the admission committee/department faculty explaining your objectives, motivation and goals related to the course. The SOP is not addressed to any specific person or department, it is drafted in an essay format, whereas, the motivational letter is always addressed to a professor or department under whose guidance you will be studying.
Also Read: How to Write a Motivation Letter?
SOP vs Personal Statement
Very much similar to an SOP, Personal Statements are an on-page essay where you write about your motivation, inspiration, goals, and achievements. Personal Statements usually have a more intimate tone than SOP as it talks about the highlighted incidents of your life. Another crucial difference between an SOP and a Personal Statement is that an SOP is addressed to no one in particular, while a Personal Statement is addressed to a professor or department under who you choose to study.
Only your LORs need to be attested by your college or company. An SOP need not be attested/self-attested until and unless specified by the university. If you take a LOR from your college professor/school teacher or a Principal/Dean, then that LOR needs to be signed by the recommender along with the college/school stamp and letterhead. Similarly, for professional LORs, they need to be signed by their respective recommenders on the company’s letterhead and company stamp.
Once you have finalised your SOP draft, give it a double-check for grammatical and formatting mistakes. Your next step should be to analyse and critique your essay. Look at your SOP through the eyes of the Adcom and see what you find lacking. For more effective inputs, you can show your drafts to your friends and family and see how they react to them. Accordingly, you can make some changes but do not overdo it or deviate from the format. Lastly, check for spacing errors and save the final SOP which you will be using for the application process.
You should avoid mentioning any low marks or shortcomings about yourself in any of the application documents, including SOP. There are very few universities that ask you about your gap year. For them, you can mention the reason for the gap between your studies. Generally, no university asks about low grades during your study period as your selection depends on various criteria like exam scores, student profile, financials, and so on. Thus, it is advised against mentioning any flaws or low marks.
Hence, we hope that now you are geared up with all the quintessential tips to start carving out your SOP. If you still have doubts or need further professional guidance, you can always reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll assist you throughout the admission process, be it selecting a suitable course and university or drafting impressive SOPs and LORs. Follow us on Instagram, Youtube, LinkedIn, Quora and Facebook for more educational content.