Higher studies in Canada at an institution of post-secondary education statutorily requires you to obtain a Canadian study permit from India, which in turn, allows you to reside in the country during the full course of the program and further for an extended fixed duration if required. The Canadian government has made it easier to obtain a Canadian student visa for Indian students along with students of some selective countries by formulating various mechanisms to ensure quick and faster processing of applications. This blog aims to elaborate on what a study permit is as well as the essential details pertaining to the application process of Canada visa for Indians, eligibility criteria and essential documents required.
Also Read: Bachelors in Canada
This Blog Includes:
- Canada Visa for Indians-Latest News
- Why Study In Canada?
- Upcoming Intakes In Canada
- Canada Visa for Indians: What is a Study Permit?
- Why You Need a Canada Student Visa?
- Eligibility Criteria for Student Direct Stream
- Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
- Canada Visa for Indians: Application Process
- Canada Student Visa Fees
- Processing Time for the Canada Visa
- Canada Study Permit Renewal
- Apply for Canada Student Visa Online
- Canada Visa Application Centers in India
- Biometrics for Canada Visa in India
- Post Graduation Work Permit and Stay Back Period
- PR Visa Options
- Work Authorization for Students in Canada
Canada Visa for Indians-Latest News
Listed below are the important pointers for Canada visa news for Indian students-
- Student Direct Stream has been streamlined in India for students. Students applying through the SDS route can expect their student permit from Canada within 7 to 8 days.
- Direct flights between India and Canada were recently approved by the Canadian government. Reducing the cost and time spent on travel.
- Fully vaccinated students are exempted from the three-night stay at a government-approved hotel. Students have to self-isolate themselves for 10 days after arriving in Canada.
- Students have to submit a negative RT-PCR test before boarding the flight to Canada and can be subjected to random testing after arriving in the country.
Why Study In Canada?
Canada is one of the top countries in the world for higher education, attracting thousands of students from all over the world each year. Canada’s universities offer world-class education that is recognised across the world, and research is one of the most important aspects of every graduate programme. Universities give support to students who come up with the greatest research ideas, and scholarships are awarded based on research effort. Other reasons to study in Canada include the following:
- Affordable Education
- Innovative and Abundant Research Opportunities
- Immigration Possibilities
- Exciting Campus Lifestyle
- Healthy and Safe Communities
- Work and internship opportunities for international students while they study
Upcoming Intakes In Canada
To study in Canada, universities offer three popular entry points or intakes for admissions. These are Fall, Winter, and Summer. The fall intake is the most popular in the country followed by Winter and Summer. Summer intake is the least popular intake because of the limited courses and students applying to universities.
|Intakes||Applications Begin||Starting Month|
Canada Visa for Indians: What is a Study Permit?
The Citizen and Immigration (CIC) issued a study permit to all the interested students who have received an offer from an accredited institution in Canada. Further, for those aspiring to study in Canada, this permit alone is not enough to let you travel and enter Canada and you may be required to possess either a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) as well. Reasonable and timely performance in your course program is also vital in order to hold a study permit. Though there are two methods of application, namely, the regular study permit application and the student direct stream, a Canada visa for Indians can be obtained in an expedited manner only through the second procedure which we have explained in detail below.
Also Read: PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada
Student Direct Stream
In order to facilitate faster visa approval for applications from select countries (mentioned in the following paragraph), the Government of Canada started the Student Direct Stream. Through this method, duly filled and completed applications are typically processed within 20 calendar days from the date of application. However, the duration of this process of obtaining a Canada visa for Indians varies on biometrics as well as on whether the applicant fulfils all the specified eligibility requirements or not.
Following are the eligible countries specified for Student Direct Stream Method:
- The Philippines
Regular Study Permit Application
The regular study permit application for getting Canada visa for Indian students is more of a traditional method of application. The eligibility requirements, documents and almost every other aspect is similar to the Student Direct Stream method except it may take longer.
Why You Need a Canada Student Visa?
A study permit is a document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities that allows international students to study in Canada. It is not a visa. International students must have a valid study permit in order to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) in Canada. A valid guest visa to Canada is required in addition to the study permit. If it is utilised for study reasons, it is referred to as a Canada student visa or a Canada study visa.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Direct Stream
In order to apply for a student permit under the process of Student Direct Stream, you need to fulfil some prerequisites which are given in the table below:
- A letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution of post-secondary learning;
- Transcripts of recent secondary or post-secondary qualification;
- Language Test Scores
- IELTS 6.0 or higher in each section (reading, listening, writing and speaking), or
- Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score of 7.0 or higher in each section (reading,
- listening, writing and speaking) which is equal to the Canadian Language
- Benchmark (CLB).
- Proof of payment of first-year tuition fees.
- At the time of application of obtaining Canada visa for Indians, the candidate must be
living outside Canada.
- Medical exam before applying (if needed).
- Police certificate before applying (if needed).
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN $10,000.
- ‘Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion’-issued ‘Certificate of Acceptance of
Quebec (CAQ)’ (if you are planning to study in Quebec).
Note: If you are a citizen of the above-mentioned countries but do not currently live there, you have to go through the regular study permit application process.
Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
In order to apply for a Canada Student Visa from India, you will typically require the following documents. The following are the requirements for Indian students seeking a student visa in Canada:
- Valid Passport
- Attested copies of 10th, 12th, and Degree certificates
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- Certificates of extracurricular achievements
- An acceptance letter from your education institution
- Proof of payment
- Proof of financial funds
- Passport size photographs
- English Proficiency
- Your institution will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application
Canada Visa for Indians: Application Process
A step-by-step guide for applying and obtaining a Canada student visa for Indians has been bulleted below.
1. Apply for your study permit through the Student Direct Stream: Submit your application online and make sure that you fulfil the eligibility criteria, the required documents are enclosed with the application and the requisite fees has been paid.
2. Biometrics (Fingerprints and Photo): The visa authority conducts biometrics, i.e, takes fingerprints and photos of the candidate and then only the application proceeds further. This needs to be completed as soon as you get the letter from the visa authority and at a maximum of 30 days from the date of notification. Then, you have to pay the biometrics fee. In case you are already in Canada at the time of application you need to get back to your home country to successfully process your visa process.
3. Application Processing
Under this step of making an application for Canada visa for Indian students, the candidates have to wait at least 20 days or more as the authorities process their applications.
After carefully reviewing your application, you will be informed about the decision of the authorities. If your visa application has been accepted, you will be issued a letter of introduction (this is not a study permit), an eTA or a visitor visa, as required.
5. Travel to Canada
After your application is approved, you can leave for Canada with your travel documents. Your documents will be checked and verified after which your study permit will be printed at the port of entry by the officer and you will be allowed to enter the territory of Canada.
Must Read: Study in Canada without IELTS
Also Read: Costs of studying in Canada
Canada Student Visa Fees
- According to the current currency rate, a study permit in Canada costs CAD 150, which is roughly comparable to INR 8,873 (as reported on the CIC website).
- Canadian visa applications are available both online and offline. As a result, visa processing costs can be paid either online (with a credit card) or offline (with a demand draught if paying at the Canadian High Commission) or in cash at the VAC. This charge must be paid at the time the application is filed, or a fee receipt must be produced for online payment. The Demand Draft must be made in Indian rupees in favour of the Canadian High Commission. VACs only take cash payments.
- Furthermore, the visa price does not include VAC costs. You’ll have to pay the additional service fees that apply to your location. Each payment will also be accompanied by a receipt. As evidence of payment, please save the receipt.
- Students must pay a biometric cost of CAD 85 after submitting their visa application. This amount is in addition to the standard visa application fee. Your biometrics will be taken at a Visa Application Center after that.
Processing Time for the Canada Visa
Processing time refers to the time it takes the CIC to complete a visa application.It starts when the applicant files his or her application and concludes when a final decision is reached.. As a result, there is no time limit for processing a student visa application in Canada. Aspirants can check the progress of their applications (both online and on paper) using their MyCIC accounts.
Canada Study Permit Renewal
Students must have a valid study permission to stay in Canada. You must apply for a study permit renewal if your study permit expires before you finish your studies (programme). You should submit your application at least 30 days before your existing permission expires. Candidates can send their applications via mail or submit them online.
Apply for Canada Student Visa Online
You may apply for a Canada student visa online, but you’ll need a camera or scanner to make digital copies of your papers and upload them. In addition, you’ll need a valid credit card to pay for your Canada Student Visa. You will, however, be required to submit a finger scan at the regional/nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC). Even if you apply for a Canada student visa online, you must provide your passports, complete the Visa Confirmation Form, and pay the Canada Student Visa cost.
Canada Visa Application Centers in India
|Ahmedabad||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. Unit No 1 and 2, Bhikubhai Chambers, Near Bharat petroleum Ashram Road, Paldi Ahmedabad 380 007|
|New Delhi||Canada Visa Application Centre VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. Shivaji Stadium Metro Station, Mezzanine Level, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place, New Delhi-110001|
|Pune||93 Avenue (Mall Name), 4th Floor, Kalubai Chowk, Near Fatima Nagar Junction, Wanowarire, Pune – 411022|
|Chandigarh||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. C-313, B-3rd Floor, Elante, Industrial Area Phase 1, Chandigarh, India – 160002|
|Jalandhar||Aman Plaza, 1st Floor, 310 Lajpat Nagar, Mahavir Marg, Nakodar Chowk Opposite to Lovely Autos, Jalandhar-144001|
|Chennai||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. 5th Floor, Fagun Mansion, Ethiraj Salai, Egmore, Chennai – 600008|
|Kolkata||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. 4th Floor, Rene Tower, Plot No. AA-I, 1842, Rajdanga Main Road, Kasba, Landmark: Near Geetanjali Stadium Kolkata, 700107, India|
|Mumbai||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. 4th floor, Urmi Axis Building, Behind Famous Studio, Opp. E Moses Road, Mahalaxmi (West), Mumbai – 400 011|
|Hyderabad||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd. Zonah Crescent, 3rd Floor, Banjara Hills Road No 12, Hyderabad, Telangana 500034|
|Bengaluru||VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd., 8th Floor, Sobha Pearl, Commissariat Road, Near Mayo Hall, next to Bangalore Central Mall, Ashok Nagar, Sivanchetti Gardens, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560025 India|
Biometrics for Canada Visa in India
Visa Application Centres in India that offer Canada student visas are now offering limited biometrics appointments keeping in mind norms introduced related to covid-19. Students who are entering the country to pursue education from DLIs and the ones who are returning to Canada permanently are given priority.
As of now, no applications other than study permit or permanent residency as a spouse or partner or dependent child under the family class are accepted by Visa Application Centres for biometrics. Biometrics for Canada visa in India opening date is 28th June 2021.
Post Graduation Work Permit and Stay Back Period
- You need to pursue a course for a minimum duration of 8 months to be eligible to stay back in Canada
- Courses with a duration of less than 8 months do not allow a student to stay back and apply for Post Graduation Work Permit
- If you pursue a course which is of duration less than 2 years, he/she is eligible for a post-graduation work permit of equivalent duration as the course
- For Example: 8 months course = 8 months Post Graduation Work Permit; 2 years course (master or diploma)= 3 years Post Graduation Work Permit
PR Visa Options
If an applicant chooses to study in Canada, he will get points in three areas: language, education, and job experience, as well as bonus points if he is under the age of thirty. A Canadian education can help you qualify for several immigration programs, such as Express Entry or the Provincial Nominee Program. Students can also work up to 20 hours per week while enrolled in their degree, gaining essential Canadian work experience and increasing their CRS score. Learning about the culture, people, and language (English/French) of Canada will aid your social integration once you become a permanent resident.
Work Authorization for Students in Canada
- Students must be over 18 years of age
- International Students can work on-campus or off-campus for up to 20 hours during university semesters and full-time during breaks such as the winter or summer holidays, without the need for a work permit
- Foreign students who are studying in a program that requires work experience, can gain it through a co-op or internship program
The Citizen and Immigration (CIC) issued a set of visas for foreigners to enter the country. The different types of visas are travel, skilled, study, and work visas. It allows the candidates to enter the country for a specific duration depending on the type of visa permit.
To apply for a Canada visa, applicants are required to download the visa application form depending on the type of stay, fill out the form, provide the necessary documents, pay the application fees and give biometrics to the official authority. Once all the formalities are through, candidates receive their visa within 3 weeks to 3 months.
The different types of Canada visa are:
Canada Tourist Visa
Student Permit/Study Permit
A valid passport
3 photos as per Canada visa requirements
Duly filled and signed application forms
NOC from employer/leave sanction from school/college
Travel itinerary – confirmed air tickets, proof of accommodation
Proof of financial means – bank statements, Form -16, passbook, salary slips, etc.
Proof that you will return to your home country once the Canadian visa expires
Identity and Civil Status Documents.
Police clearances to show no criminal records
Medical certificate to prove that you have no chronic disease
A covering letter stating your purpose, motive, and duration of the travel
Letter of support/invitation to Canada.
The average processing time depends on the type of visa. For some visas, it’s 10 to 15 days while for others it is 30 days or more.
Planning to study in Canada for the upcoming intake? Then connect with our Leverage Edu expert and get assistance throughout the procedure of choosing the right course and university as well as making an impressive application that can get you successfully shortlisted.