Writing a captivating and thoughtful speech requires one to select a good topic, research it thoroughly and formation of individual opinions to express on the same. School students are usually asked to speak on a contemporary topic in order to help them become good public speakers as well as learn the art of expressing oneself in front of an audience. While many speech competitions often allot topics beforehand, you might also have heard of extempore where topics are given on the spot for speech. This blog brings you a list of common English speech topics as well as some helpful tips and tricks that can assist you in expressing your thoughts and opinions in an effective manner in front of an audience.
Quick Read: English Speaking Books
This Blog Includes:
- List of Best English Speech Topics
- 1-minute Speech Topics
- 2-Minute Speech Topics
- Easy Speech Topics in English
- English Speech Topics on Environment
- English Speech Topics on Social Issues
- English Speech Topics on Important Days & Events
- English Speech Topics on Greatest Leaders in India & Around the World
- English Speech Topics on Proverbs
- English Speech Topics on Education
- Miscellaneous Speech Topics
- Types of Speech Topics
- Useful Tips for Delivering a Great Speech
List of Best English Speech Topics
Speeches are all about one’s own thoughts. It should not be copied from somewhere. It is all about what the speaker thinks of any given topic. Take a look at the following list of English Speech Topics on different contemporary issues as well as concepts.
1-minute Speech Topics
- The Best Day of My Life
- Social Media: Bane or Boon?
- Pros and Cons of Online Learning
- Benefits of Yoga
- If I had a Superpower
- I wish I were ______
- Environment Conservation
- Women Should Rule the World!
- The Best Lesson I have Learned
- Paperbacks vs E-books
- How to Tackle a Bad Habit
- My Favorite Pastime/Hobby
- Why should every citizen vote?
- Fear of Missing Out (FOMO): Is it real or not?
- Importance of Reading
- Importance of Books in Our Life
- My Favorite Fictional Character
- Introverts vs Extroverts
- Lessons to Learn from Sports
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2-Minute Speech Topics
- Importance of Kindness
- Is there Value in Homework?
- Things I learned in Lockdown
- How can food be recycled?
- Should Art be a part of the school curriculum?
- Should schools teach sign languages?
- Women make better presidents/prime ministers
- Why books are better than their movies?
- Life was better when technology was more simple.
- Impact of technology on our health
- Should children reality show be banned?
- Learning in the Wake of Covid-19
- Hard Work vs Smart Work
- What Makes Learning Fun?
- The Coolest Inventions You’ve Seen
- Men should wear pink
- Importance of AI in Education
- Importance of Extracurricular Activities
- Should exams be banned?
- How to tackle Bullying in Schools?
Easy Speech Topics in English
- Importance of Education
- Is it beneficial to learn a Second Language?
- Music has healing power.
- Fake news
- Love is powerful than hate
- Social Impact of Covid-19
- How can Online Learning be Fun?
- Make Public Transport Free?
- Should violent video games be banned?
- Learning about all world religions in schools is important
English Speech Topics on Environment
- Climate Change
- Depletion of Ozone Layer
- Reducing Water Levels
- Global Warming
- Waste Management
- Water-Saving Techniques
- Reducing Green Cover of Earth
- Endangered species need protection
- Importance of fishing regulations
- Importance of investing in alternative fuels
- Impact of ocean acidification on marine organisms
- The misuse of the term “sustainable development” by environmentalists
- Microbial benefits
- E-Waste Management
- Natural disasters and their impact on economic growth
- Energy alternatives – Only solution to the environmental damage
- Extinction of rare species
- World Environment Day
- Disaster Management
- Over and Improper Use of Natural Resources
- Air, Water and Soil Pollution
- Efficiency of Recycling
- Banning of Animal Testing
- Extinction of rare species
- Wildlife Protection
- Hazards of Smoking in Public Places
- Using Animals for Entertainment should be Banned
- Proper Care of Street Animals
- 3Rs: Recycle, Reuse, Reduce
Exploring English Speech Topics? You must also take a look at Extempore Topics!
- Women Empowerment
- Education of Girl Child
- Importance of Maintaining Hygiene
- Child Labour
- Social Distancing
- Organ Donation
- Importance of Right to Education
- Child Trafficking
- Struggles of Immigrants
- Impact of Globalisation
- Adult education
Quick Read: TOEFL Speaking Topics
English Speech Topics on Important Days & Events
- Independence Day
- Labour Day
- Mother’s Day
- World Population Day
- World Health Day
- Ambedkar Jayanti
- Gandhi Jayanti
- Human Rights Day
- Zero Discrimination Day
- Women’s Day
- Anti Terrorism Day
- Hindi Diwas
Check out this list of all the important national and international days in 2021!
English Speech Topics on Greatest Leaders in India & Around the World
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Raja Rammohan Roy
- George Washington
- Albert Einstein
- CV Raman
- Ratan Tata
- APJ Abdul Kalam
- Nelson Mandela
- Kailash Satyarthi
To know what to mention in such speech topics, explore the Great Personalities in the World!
English Speech Topics on Proverbs
- Honesty is the best policy
- When there’s a will, there is a way
- Actions speak louder than words
- Knowledge is Power
- Ignorance is Bliss
- Don’t judge a book by its cover
- Actions speak louder than words
- Knowledge is Power
- Ignorance is Bliss
- Hard work is the key to success
Explore these proverbs & their meanings through this blog on Difficult Phrases!
English Speech Topics on Education
- Importance of teacher in your life
- SAT scores for college application
- Student bullies should be expelled
- Consequences of cheating in exams
- Homeschooling is better than normal schooling
- Importance of value education
- Importance of sports and physical exercises
- Schools vs colleges
- What is the difference between a school, college and university in the USA?
Miscellaneous Speech Topics
- Article 370
- Women rights
- The Constitution of India
- Youth of India
- Culture of India
- Importance of Unity
- Generation Gap
- Importance of Value Education
- Old Age Homes
- Family Values
- Leadership skills
- Rise of Smart Classes
- Grading System
- Importance of Practical Education
- Benefits of Co-Education
- Importance of Co-Curricular Activities
- Uselessness of Power-Point Presentations
- Rise of Technology
- Excessive usage of Internet
- Speech on Fear
- Speech on Dependence on Technology
- Importance of Social Media
- Speech on Save Water
- Speech on India of My Dreams
- Speech on Indian Education System
- Speech on My India
Check Out: Synonyms List
Types of Speech Topics
While exploring persuasive English speech topics, you must make sure that they are stimulating, engaging, concise and clear. There are three main types of Persuasive Speech topics which are:
1. Factual Persuasive Speech: These topics include facts, figures and statistics to thoroughly analyse the given topic and assess whether it’s true or false.
2. Policy Persuasive Speech: Discussing policies, laws and reforms, these speech topics critically examine the advantages and disadvantages of the given policy or law and suggest the improvements that can be made.
3. Value Persuasive Speech: Mainly focusing on social or political issues, these speech topics present the critique and argument of whether certain actions are morally right or not.
Useful Tips for Delivering a Great Speech
While speaking on a particular topic, there are certain things which you must keep in mind to make your speech expressive and effective. Before providing you with a comprehensive list of English speech topics, let’s take a look at the some useful topics that help you in acing any topic you are speaking on.
- Always research about the topic. If you are participating in an extempore, then make sure to go through the common and popular topics as well as the unconventional ones which you might get. Preparation is the key to delivering an impressive speech.
- Show your interest in the topic. Whether you are given a topic on the spot or you prepared for the speech, it is always pivotal that you seem interested in speaking about it. Relate the given issues with your own life and this will help you in giving it your own personal twist.
- Pay extra attention to your body language and enunciation. While a gesticulative approach will make you seem outward, having a timid body language can cause a wrong impression. Further, if you find it difficult to enunciate complicated words, use simpler ones and even if you fumble, don’t spend too much time hovering over it during your speech.
- Ensure that the choice of words you are using is simpler and corresponds to the level of the vocabulary of your audience. If you include a longer word that is lesser-known, try explaining its meaning. Further, make sure to adhere to the tone of the environment you are speaking in. Schools, colleges and professional spaces require you to adhere to a formal tone while giving a speech in an informal environment would demand a different use of vocabulary.
- Ponder upon the different viewpoints on a topic. Try to present a holistic view of the given topic but don’t forget to present your opinion on it as well. Along with this, don’t try to take sides unless the topic demands you to.
- Involve your audience, if possible. This way, you will be able to interact with the people and it will also be useful in fighting the fear of public speaking.
- Don’t mug up a speech. It becomes evident when someone just speaks on a topic continuously and the audience might realise that you have memorized it or you might forget a certain part which will let the whole speech fade away from your brain. Instead, make notes about the topic in your mind, remember certain keywords and try to maintain a particular flow in your speech.
- Incorporate humour in your speech in a way that you do not offend anyone or overdo it but get a positive reaction from the audience. Humour is a great way of lightening the mood as well as ensuring the whole speech is interactive and engaging.
While preparing for English Speech topics, you must also check out IELTS Speaking Topics!
Thus, we hope that this list helps you in preparing for different English speech topics. Gearing up for IELTS? Sign up for an online demo session with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will assist you in preparing for its different sections as well as improving your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills to ensure that you ace the exam with flying colours!