Imagine a situation where highly skilled business aspirants are sitting for their personal interview, but due to low confidence and lacking speech practices, they are not able to impress the board of directors. Not being able to collate your points in a constructive way can create a negative impression. This is where ‘Extempore’ comes in place. As a business professional, engaging in effective conversations shows your personality and confidence, thus, it becomes essential to work upon your communication skills. If you are planning to pursue Business or Management courses, then here is a blog that collates a list of extempore topics which you can practice!
This Blog Includes:
Top B-schools nowadays are widely including Extempore as an integral part of their selection process because of its impromptu nature, that majorly take candidates out of their comfort zone. This allows the administration to test and analyse the candidates’:
- Presence of mind
- Thought process
- Speaking skills
- Presenting their ideas in a time-bound atmosphere that is full of pressure
- Speaking style
- Accuracy of ideas and good content
Difference Between Extempore and GD
Extempore Topics for MBA
Extempore is a form of public speaking that involves the person to deliver a short speech on a topic unknown beforehand. It judges the ability of the individual to think on-spot, their knowledge over wide-ranging subjects and presentation skills. It is an important part of the personal interview round because it helps the interviewer form an idea about the personality of the interviewee and their potential to handle a sudden situation.
Before moving ahead towards familiarizing with the extempore topics for MBA, knowing the process helps in preparing well for the round. Mentioned below is how the extempore round is conducted during MBA admissions.
- Candidates are assigned a topic by the interviewer. The topics encompass a large number of subjects and therefore being well prepared is the key.
- Following this, the candidate is given approximately 15-30 seconds to contemplate on the topic and sort their thoughts out to present it vividly. They are required to make a speech lasting for 1-2mins.
- The candidate has the space to interpret the topic however they want and present their thoughts distinctly. The magic lies in using one’s imagination and knowledge of the topic and blend it smoothly to deliver information that is engrossing and engaging.
Skills Required for Extempore
Extempores don’t necessarily judge the knowledge of the individual on the subject. It evaluates the individuals thinking capabilities, communication skills and self-confidence. A person getting through to the audience is the one who nails an extempore round. Before knowing about the extempore topics for MBA, being aware of the skills required to do well in the extempore is imperative. Mentioned below are some of the skills that a person can inculcate that will help them score well in the extempore round.
- Communication skills
- Composed and poised body language
- Rational Thinking
- Analytical Skills
- Ability to think on your feet
A common question asked in MBA interviews is to describe yourself. Struggling to find a perfect answer to this question?
Read our blog – Best Ways to Describe Yourself and find your answers!
List of Extempore Topics for MBA
A large number of topics are covered in extempore. They can include general knowledge subjects to current affairs. To do wonders in extempore, having an idea of the topics that are generally covered can be beneficial. Mentioned below are some of the important extempore topics for MBA organized under sub-headings to clearly present an idea of the topics covered.
Social Issue Extempore Topics for MBA
- Unemployment in India
- Rural Development
- Global Terrorism
- Reservations in India
- Good economics is good politics
- Social Media is making us un-social
- Women Empowerment
Current Affair Extempore Topics for MBA
- Artificial Intelligence
- Recent Initiative by the Government
- Moon Mission
- Data theft by social media platforms
- Make in India vs Make for India
- Goods and Services Tax
- Negative Obsession with Artificial Intelligence
Abstract Extempore Topics for MBA
- Mythology vs Management
- Academic Scores not a good measure of intelligence
- Red vs Blue
- Liberal Education
- Ignorance is bliss
Economy Related Extempore Topics for MBA
- Banking Frauds
- Impact of demonetization
- Common currency in South Asia like in Europe
- E-commerce discounts are harmful
Also Read: English Speech Topics for Students
Tips for MBA Extempore
Knowing about the extempore topics for MBA isn’t enough to do well in the round. Working relentlessly on developing one’s communication skills and gathering more information about various topics can help in improving the overall presentation during the extempore. Enlisted below are some key tips that can help enhance a person’s extempore.
Comprehensive List of Extempore Topics
Based on past trends and the latest political and economic happenings, here is a comprehensive list of popular extempore topics for you.
|S.No.||Type of Extempore Topic||Extempore Topics|
|1||Business and Economy||Impact of Coronavirus on Indian Economy|
|2||Social Issue||Reservation System in India|
|3||Social Issue||Social media is making us antisocial|
|4||Abstract Topic||Hard Work Vs Smart Work|
|5||Abstract Topic||Are Scores a good measure of Intelligence?|
|6||Social Issue||Subsidy for Fertilizers|
|7||Social Issue||Women in Cinema|
|8||Social Issue||Individual freedom or Civil society|
|9||Business and Economy||Banking Frauds|
|11||Social Issue||Corporate Social Responsibility|
|12||Current Affairs||Make in India|
|13||Abstract Topic||Abdul Kalam Azad|
|14||Current Affairs||Goods and Services Tax (GST)|
|15||Business and Economy||Problems faced Indian Power Sector|
|16||Current Affairs||What can Narendra Modi do to stop engineers going for MBA to support his make in India?|
|17||Current Affairs||Negative obsession with Artificial Intelligence|
|18||Social Issue||Importance of Value Education|
|19||Abstract Topic||Indian classical music|
|20||Business and Economy||Globalization|
|21||Current Affairs||Article 370|
|22||Social Issue||Global Terrorism|
|23||Abstract Topic||Liberal Education|
|25||Current Affairs||India or China: The Next Superpower|
|26||Abstract Topic||Classical Dance|
|27||Abstract Topic||The significance of a person’s handwriting|
|28||Others||Traffic problem in Mumbai|
|29||Business and Economy||Privatization of Universities|
|30||Business and Economy||Inflation or Growth|
|33||Social Issue||India’s Demographic Dividend|
|34||Abstract Topic||Black Beauty|
|35||Abstract Topic||Ignorance is Bliss|
|36||Social Issue||Rural Development|
|37||Social Issue||Unemployment in India|
|38||Current Affairs||Data theft by social media platforms|
|39||Social Issue||Women Empowerment|
|40||Social Issue||Indian Politics|
|41||Business and Economy||Will India remain way behind China?|
|42||Business and Economy||Corruption is the root cause of Indian economy slowdown|
|43||Business and Economy||Net Neutrality: know the key facts|
|44||Business and Economy||India’s new urban vision|
|45||Business and Economy||Make in India- ground realities and leaps with China|
|46||Business and Economy||Rising population of India could be turned into an asset|
|47||Business and Economy||Should business lobbying be made legal in India?|
|48||Business and Economy||Good Economics is good Politics|
|50||Abstract Topic||Mythology and Management|
|51||Policy Making||Uniform Civil Code|
|52||Indian Constitution||Fundamental Rights|
|53||Science and Technology||ISRO Satellites|
|54||Science and Technology||Pandemic and Epidemic|
|55||Governance||Ayushman Bharat Yojana|
|56||Abstract||Red vs Blue|
|57||Policy Making||Smart City Mission|
|58||Indian Economy||PMC Bank Scam|
|59||Abstract||Me Too Movement|
|60||Governance||Handling Law and Order Situations|
How to Prepare for an Extempore?
Tips to do Well in Extempore
To do well in an extempore, there are certain key tricks that can be followed to do well in it. Extempore topics are assigned on the spot and thus it makes it harder to excel in it without prior practice. Enlisted below are some pointers one can keep in mind to perform well in their upcoming extempore round.
- Time Management- This can be extremely hard because the time given in an extempore is extremely less and one has to put forth all the points in the limited time. Effectively management of time can be enhanced by practicing beforehand using a timer.
- Think First- Thinking and contemplating on the topic is of absolute importance. Rambling without a structure or any key ideas can undermine the impact of the speech. Make an outline and gather your thoughts before putting your best foot forward.
- Remaining Composed- Keeping a calm demeanor and maintaining a strong body language makes you seem more confident. Getting hyperactive while talking can result in mumbling or errors and thereby reduce the effect of the speech.
- Tone- Be audible enough and maintain a tone that is soft and engaging. It helps in getting through to the listeners and therefore your points are valued more and given greater weightage.
- Conclusion- Ending an extempore on a positive note helps in yielding better results. The panelists pay more attention to the ending and therefore getting something positive out of the topic given points to the thinking ability and positivity of the speaker.
Speech is the expression of your thoughts through verbal or oral communication. It can be prepared effectively with extempore speech and speaking skills. We hope that you have enough Extempore topics to prepare for you GD and PI. You can also reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu, who can guide you on skills and techniques that you can master to ace any interview.