Do you worry about the well being and health of all? Does human anatomy interest you? Are you intrigued by how new technologies are proving to be beneficial for the health sector? If your answer to most of the questions was “yes”, then Medical Science is a suitable career path for you! Being one of the most popular and thriving industries globally as almost every organization needs qualified Medical Science professionals, scores of students now pursue degree courses after 12th Science in this field. In this blog, we will discuss the important Medical Science courses available, the career paths you can undertake, and the job opportunities in this field.
This Blog Includes:
- Bachelor’s Level Medical Science Courses
- BSc Courses
- Master’s Level Medical Science Courses
- Eligibility Criteria
- Top Universities For Medical Science Courses
- Job Prospects
Bachelor’s Level Medical Science Courses
When we think of a career in Medical Science, we mostly zone into MBBS and BDS. However, there are various Medical Science Courses to choose from:
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Sciences (MBBS)
A combination of two degrees, it is one of the most pursued Medical Science Courses. This degree imparts in-depth knowledge of pre-clinical and Paramedical subjects. It takes around 5-5.5 years to obtain an MBBS degree. You can also pursue MBBS from popular study abroad destinations.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
A highly preferred Medical Science Course after MBBS, BDS is a 4-year undergraduate Dentistry course which requires an additional 1 year of internship. From joining hospitals and becoming a research scientist to starting your own practice, a simple graduation degree in Dentistry opens up many opportunities. You can also pursue several other courses after BDS.
Bachelor’s in Physiotherapy
Starting a career in Physiotherapy is the best choice for those who wish to help patients by curing birth or accident-related injuries through exercise and manual therapy. You can either pursue a Diploma in Physiotherapy or BSc Physiotherapy or a 4.5-year professional degree (BPT) to become a physiotherapist. UK, Australia, and Canada are some of the most popular countries to study Physiotherapy.
Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc)
If you have compassion for animals and birds and care about their health and welfare, then a career in Veterinary Science is a good choice for you. Some of the areas you can specialize in, are- Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Surgery, Animal Nutrition, Veterinary Radiology and Veterinary Psychology among others.
Psychologists are medical professionals who observe and study the emotional, cognitive and social behaviour of individuals. You can make your mark and earn well in fields like Clinical, Health, Forensic and Developmental Sciences by pursuing higher education in this field.
If you are not interested in pursuing MBBS or BDS, then you can also explore the following BSc courses offered in Medical Science:
- BSc Nursing
- BSc in Biotechnology
- BSc Cardiology
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- B.Sc. in Health Science/Medical Science
- B.Sc. in Forensic Biology and Toxicology
- BSc Genetics and Molecular Biology
- BSc/BE in Biomedical Engineering
Master’s Level Medical Science Courses
These generalized postgraduate Medical Science Courses help students to become competent professionals in their respective fields:
- MD (Doctor of Medicine)
- M.Sc. in Surgery
- MSc Nursing
- M.S.c in Cellular and Molecular Medicine
- M.Sc. in Dental Sciences
- M.Sc. in Clinical Research
- MSc in Biotechnology
- M.Sc. Health Informatics
- M.S in Environmental Health Sciences
- M.S. in Physiotherapy
- Master of Public Health
- M.S. in Ophthalmology
- MSc Forensic Science
- Masters in Pharmacy
There are certain eligibility prerequisites which you need to fulfil in order to apply for a degree in Medicine or Health Sciences. Though the actual course requirements might vary as per the type of program and university, we have enlisted some general prerequisites for Medical Science courses:
- For bachelor’s degree programs in Medical Science, the basic requirement is 10+2 in Science stream with BiPC subjects from a recognised board.
- For courses like MBBS, you will have to clear NEET exam to apply for universities in India or abroad. While for BSc courses, the entrance exam requirements can vary as many universities in India have their own entrance exams for such courses.
- For master’s level programs in Medical Science, you must have completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the related field.
- For an MD degree, you will have to undertake NEET PG for universities in India and MCAT for universities abroad.
- If you are applying for medical science courses abroad, then you will also have to qualify an English language proficiency exam like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. Further, you will be required to submit an SOP and LORs as well.
Top Universities For Medical Science Courses
Listed below are some of the prominent medical colleges offering Medical Science
|MBBS||King’s College Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)|
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (Baltimore, U.S.A)
Nanjing Medical University (China)
|BDS||La Trobe University (Melbourne, Australia)-Bachelor of Dental Sciences|
University of Griffith (Brisbane, Australia)-Bachelor of Dental Technology
Newcastle University (UK)
University of Dundee (Scotland)
|Physiotherapy||University of Otago (Dunedin, New Zealand)|
University Of Monash (Australia)
Curtin University (Perth, Australia)
|Veterinary Science||University of California, Davis (USA)|
Royal Veterinary College (London, UK)
Ghent University (Belgium)
North Carolina State University (USA)
|Radiography & Medical Imaging||University of Stalford (Manchester, UK)|
Glasgow Caledonian University (Scotland)
Concordia College (New York, USA)
The medical industry offers mammoth employment opportunities, lucrative salaries, and a stable career. After obtaining a graduate degree in any Medical Science Courses, you can either pursue higher studies or can start working. Though not exhaustive, here are some of the leading job profiles suited for those who have completed Medical Science Courses:
- Research Scientist
- Veterinary Doctor
- Health Care Professional
- Speech therapists/Audiologists
- Health Service Manager
- International Aid/Development Worker
- Forensic Science Specialist
- Public Health Worker
- Medical writer/Journalist
- Biotechnologist or Nano-biotechnologist
Medical Science is a diverse field that provides an array of career opportunities. But if you are confused about which Medical Science courses is best suited for you, then we at Leverage Edu are here to help you in identifying and building a flourishing career using our AI-enabled platform.