Considered as the highest master’s degree in Surgical Science, the Master Chirurgiae (MCh) is an extremely advanced and selective postgraduate/doctoral degree after Master of Surgery that equips an individual with a technical understanding of complex surgical procedures. It includes a heavy amount of research and practical training as graduates are expected to work in a highly demanding environment. If you have recently completed your MS in Surgery and want to delve deeper into the field, MCh degree is the right one to pursue. In this article, we will explore the specifics of this course such as eligibility criteria, course structure, offered concentrations, amongst others.
This Blog Includes:
Difference Between MS and MCh
Before delving into the details about this postdoctoral degree in Surgery, it is important to point out the differences between an MS (Surgery) and MCh degree.
- An MS degree is only offered as a postgraduate degree which can be pursued by MBBS graduates. On the other hand, an MCh is offered as a doctoral or postdoctoral program that can be pursued either after completing an MBBS or MS.
- In India, the duration is typically 6 years in the case of the former and 3 years for the latter. However, international universities generally have a varying duration in terms of postdoctoral degree programs in Surgery.
The course structure of an MCh degree is tailor-made to suit the different specialisations. Generally, the it focuses on providing research and technical knowledge related to the relevant concentration. Universities employ tools like seminars, long-term placements, assistance programs, study advisors, research projects and dissertations, etc to equip an individual with the required skills of working in ICUs, operation theatres, emergency, and trauma care.
MCh Degree: Offered Specialisations
Students pursuing an MCh degree are required to select a specialisation based on which they are assigned course tasks, clinical placements, amongst others. The chosen field shapes the course and the candidate’s career orientation is based on it as well. Some of the popular concentrations offered have been listed below:
|Surgical Gastroenterology||Hand Surgery|
|Cardio-Thoracic Vascular Surgery||ENT|
|Pediatric Surgery||Surgical Oncology|
MCh Colleges in India
If you are wondering that how many MCh seats are there in India then as per the current estimates of MCI, there are in total 1372 seats across 126 colleges in India. Enlisted are some of the best colleges that offer MCh degree in India:
- PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Armed Force Medical College, Pune
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Guntur Medical College
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- King’s George Medical University, Lucknow
- Sher E Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences
- National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences, Bangalore
- Institute of Medical Sciences[BHU]
Eligibility Criteria and Duration of an MCh Degree
Just like any other Medical Science courses, there are certain parameters that need to be fulfilled by the prospective student. The MCh degree duration is of 3 years and to pursue this course, here are the eligibility conditions:
- In order to pursue an MCh degree in various countries including India, a person needs to at least an MS degree recognized by the Medical Council of India. The degree program can extend to a longer period of 6 years.
- The admission process is done through the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test NEET-SS [Super Speciality Courses] score which is conducted by the National Board of Examination [NBE].
- While Indian candidates need to be registered with the Medical Council of India, foreign candidates have been exempted from it.
- Furthermore, the course duration (a few courses may have a duration of 1 to 2 years as well) and eligibility criteria can differ depending on the course and institution.
Career Options After MCh Degree
“What should I do after MCh?” is a question that bothers many. After an MCh degree, successful graduates generally prefer to work in surgical assignments at specialised medical care centres, ICUs, emergency care, etc. A few highly-qualified surgeons may take up research activities simultaneously. Further, a handful of surgical consultants, after the considerable experience, may shift towards policy-making and work in governments to evaluate and develop industry regulations for the health industry.
Top Universities for Offering MCh Degree Abroad
There are diverse options abroad for pursuing an MCh degree although the course can have variants. The eligibility criteria for pursuing MCh degree abroad will vary and it is thus advised to go through the university website. Academic Institutions that run this program or related courses have been mentioned below.
|National University of Ireland Galway||1 year; full-time|
|University of Melbourne, Australia||2 years; full-time|
|Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland||1 year; full-time|
|Monash University, Canada||1.5 years; full-time|
|The University of Sydney, Australia||1-2 years; full-time|
MCH (Magister Chirurgiae) or Master of Surgery is a higher-level qualification in Surgery and is often pursued after MS in Surgery to gain an expert-level or advanced-level understanding of this field. It is mainly offered as a 2-3 year doctoral degree course around the world.
MCh is actually a higher-level qualification than MS. For MBBS graduates, MCh can be pursued as a 5-year degree while for MS graduates, it is offered as a 3-year course.
Yes, MCh can be pursued as a 5-year degree program after MBBS with the major eligibility requirement that the student is a registered doctor with MCI or state medical council.
Hence, an MCh degree has a globally acclaimed and well-established reputation amongst all other degrees in Medicine and Surgery. Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu: +91-8826200293 and we’ll help you choose an ideal university for pursuing this course along with assisting you in the application process and bringing you closer to your dream career in Surgery.