MCh Degree full form is Master of Chirurgiae (General Surgery) which comes from the Latin word Magister Chirugiae. Considered the highest master’s degree in Surgical Science, the Master Chirurgiae (MCh) is an extremely advanced and selective postgraduate/doctoral degree after Master of Surgery that equips an individual with a technical understanding of complex surgical procedures. It includes a heavy amount of research and practical training as graduates are expected to work in a highly demanding environment. If you have recently completed your MS in Surgery and want to delve deeper into the field, the MCh degree is the right one to pursue. In this article, we will explore the specifics of this course such as eligibility criteria, course structure, offered concentrations, amongst others.
|Full form||Master of Chirurgiae|
|Course Type||Post Graduate|
|Course Duration||5 Years after MBBS
3 Years after MD
|Qualifying Exam||NEET SS|
|Seats in India||1499|
This Blog Includes:
- What is MCh
- Types of MCh
- Why Study MCh Degree
- Difference Between MS and MCh
- MCh Degree: Offered Specialisations
- MCh Admissions
- Admission Process
- Duration of an MCh Degree
- Eligibility Criteria
- Courses under MCh Degree
- MCh Colleges in India
- Top Universities for Offering MCh Degree Abroad
- Career Options After MCh Degree
- MCh Degree Jobs & Scope
What is MCh
MCh degree is tailor-made to suit the different specialisations. Generally, it focuses on providing research and technical knowledge related to the relevant concentration. Universities employ tools like seminars, long-term placements, assistance programs, study advisors, research projects and dissertations, etc to equip an individual with the required skills of working in ICUs, operation theatres, emergency, and trauma care.
Types of MCh
While there is only one type of MCh degree, there are two different ways you can take the MCh degree. If you already have an MBBS, your MCh course can be for 5 years but if you also have an MD, your MCh degree is for a 3-year duration.
Why Study MCh Degree
An MCh degree is one of the highest degrees in the field of surgery and the doctors who have an MCh degree are considered super-speciality doctors.
- An MCh degree allows doctors to be more proficient in their work and promote innovations in the field of surgery
- MCh degree doctors can also train their juniors and students in the different fields of medical science
- The degree opens job opportunities in several different fields like Urology, Paediatrics, Cardiovascular, Endocrine, etc
Difference Between MS and MCh
Before delving into the details about this postdoctoral degree in Surgery, it is important to point out the differences between an MS (Surgery) and MCh degree.
- An MS degree is only offered as a postgraduate degree which can be pursued by MBBS graduates. On the other hand, an MCh is offered as a doctoral or postdoctoral program that can be pursued either after completing an MBBS or MS.
- In India, the duration is typically 6 years in the case of the former and 3 years for the latter. However, international universities generally have a varying duration in terms of postdoctoral degree programs in Surgery.
MCh Degree: Offered Specialisations
Students pursuing an MCh degree are required to select a specialisation based on which they are assigned course tasks, clinical placements, amongst others. The chosen field shapes the course and the candidate’s career orientation is based on it as well. Some of the popular concentrations offered have been listed below:
- Cardiac Anaesthesiology
- Endocrinology &
- Hematology (Clinical
- Hematology (Memato-path)
- Medical Oncology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Neuro Anaesthesiology
- Cardiothoracic Vascular
- Paediatric Surgery
Here are the description of some of the top specialities in MCh degree:
Neurosurgery– It is amongst the sought-after and challenging specialisation under Medicine and Surgery and demands extensive expertise. Neurosurgery is a branch of medicine which deals with the surgical treatment of the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
Cardio-Thoracic Vascular Surgery– This field deals with surgical expertize of organs located in Thorax
Plastic Surgery– THis type of surgery deals with altering physical features, restoring or reconstructing human body. Plastic surgery is of two types: cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery
Pediatic Surgery- This type of surgery is specialized for children in their infant, fetus, child, adolescent age
Urology– This field of study focuses on the diseases related to urinary tracts of males and females, and the male reproductive systeṃ
Admission in MCh is offered through an entrance exam NEET SS- NEET Super Speciality, but those who wish to apply at AIIMS and JIPMER, need to take the college’s own entrance tests. The NEET SS Exam is conducted every year by the National Board of Examinations. Candidates are allotted seats depending on their ranking in the exam. For your MCh Admission, you need to have:
- NEET SS Result
- Photocopy of Permanent or Provisional SMC/MCI Registration.
- Valid ID
You can get all the details regarding NEET SS on this page.
The admission process of the MCh Degree is based on the merit list of the NEET SS examination which occurs every year in the month of June. The selection process is done after the counselling session by the Medical Counseling Committee(MCC), Director General of Health Services(DCHS) and the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare(MoHFW). Entrance Exams
Duration of an MCh Degree
In order to pursue an MCh degree in various countries including India, a person needs to at least an MS degree recognized by the Medical Council of India. For an MBBS, the program is for 5 years but for an MD, the course is for 3 years. The degree program can extend to a longer period of 6 years.
Just like any other Medical Science courses, there are certain parameters that need to be fulfilled by the prospective student.
- The admission process is done through the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test NEET-SS [Super Speciality Courses] score which is conducted by the National Board of Examination [NBE].
- You must provide certain documents before taking the exam:
- Photocopy of SMC/MCI Registration (permanent / provisional)
- Admit card with your photo attached
- A valid ID like Pan Card, Aadhar Card, Voter ID, Driver’s License
- While Indian candidates need to be registered with the Medical Council of India, foreign candidates have been exempted from it.
- Furthermore, the course duration (a few courses may have a duration of 1 to 2 years as well) and eligibility criteria can differ depending on the course and institution.
Courses under MCh Degree
- M.Ch. (Cardio-Thoracic Vascular Surgery)
- M.Ch. (NeuroSurgery)
- M.Ch. (Urology)
- M.Ch.(Pediatric Surgery)
- M.Ch.(Plastic Surgery)
- M.Ch.(Surgical Oncology)
MCh Colleges in India
If you are wondering that how many MCh seats are there in India then as per the current estimates of MCI, there are in total 1499 seats across 126 colleges in India. Enlisted are some of the best colleges that offer MCh degree in India:
- PGIMER, Chandigarh
- Armed Force Medical College, Pune
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Guntur Medical College
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- King’s George Medical University, Lucknow
- Sher E Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences
- National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences, Bangalore
- Institute of Medical Sciences[BHU]
Top Universities for Offering MCh Degree Abroad
There are diverse options abroad for pursuing an MCh degree although the course can have variants. The eligibility criteria for pursuing MCh degree abroad will vary and it is thus advised to go through the university website. Academic Institutions that run this program or related courses have been mentioned below.
|National University of Ireland Galway||1 year; full-time|
|University of Melbourne, Australia||2 years; full-time|
|Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland||1 year; full-time|
|Monash University, Canada||1.5 years; full-time|
|The University of Sydney, Australia||1-2 years; full-time|
Career Options After MCh Degree
“What should I do after MCh?” is a question that bothers many. After an MCh degree, successful graduates generally prefer to work in surgical assignments at specialised medical care centres, ICUs, emergency care, etc. A few highly-qualified surgeons may take up research activities simultaneously. Further, a handful of surgical consultants, after the considerable experience, may shift towards policy-making and work in governments to evaluate and develop industry regulations for the health industry.
MCh Degree Jobs & Scope
An MCh degree course is one of the toughest courses in the field of medicine and hence the field also receives some of the best packages in the industry. The MCh degree opens opportunities like medical clinics, government jobs and private jobs in hospitals as surgeons, surgical consultants, research institutes, etc.
Let’s now check out some of the best job opportunities that you can get through MCh degree and their package in international level:
|Job||Salary per Annum|
|General Surgeon||$2,18,509 (INR 1,59,31,600)|
|Orthopedic Surgeon||$497210 (INR 3,62,51,830)|
|Neurosurgeon||$610,192 (INR 4,44,89,400)|
|Urology Surgeon||$204,190(INR 1,48,87,500)|
MCH (Magister Chirurgiae) or Master of Surgery is a higher-level qualification in Surgery and is often pursued after MS in Surgery to gain an expert-level or advanced-level understanding of this field. It is mainly offered as a 2-3 year doctoral degree course around the world.
MCh is actually a higher-level qualification than MS. For MBBS graduates, MCh can be pursued as a 5-year degree while for MS graduates, it is offered as a 3-year course.
Yes, MCh can be pursued as a 5-year degree program after MBBS with the major eligibility requirement that the student is a registered doctor with MCI or state medical council.
Hence, an MCh degree has a globally acclaimed and well-established reputation amongst all other degrees in Medicine and Surgery. Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu: +91-8826200293 and we’ll help you choose an ideal university for pursuing this course along with assisting you in the application process and bringing you closer to your dream career in Surgery.