The human heart is one of the most complex parts to study and those who explore the science and disorders of the human heart are called Cardiologists. Cardiology is a medical branch of internal medicine that deals with diagnosing and subsequent treatment of various heart conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart failure, congenital heart defects, valvular disease, electrophysiology, etc. BSc Cardiology is one of the most popular courses in India and abroad. It has been specially designed in such a way so that students can be trained to take care of patients suffering from cardiopulmonary diseases.
This Blog Includes:
- What is BSc Cardiology?
- Responsibilities of a Cardiology Technician
- Eligibility Requirements
- BSc Cardiology Syllabus
- BSc Cardiology Colleges
- Jobs After BSc Cardiac Technology
- Salary After BSc Cardiology or BSc Cardiac Technology
- Scope of BSc Cardiology in India and Abroad
|Course||BSc Cardiology/BSc Cardiovascular Technology|
|Basic Eligibility||10+2 in Science|
|Scope||Government and Private Hospitals, Research Labs, etc.|
|Work Profiles||Sonographer, Cardiovascular Technologist, etc.|
|Salary in India||INR 3-30 Lakhs per annum|
What is BSc Cardiology?
BSc Cardiology is a 3-year undergraduate degree in the allied specialisation in Medicine. It is also offered as BSc Cardiac Technology and prepares students to operate cardiovascular technologies and equipment to assist doctors during cardiovascular testing. Furthermore, you will carry out tasks that do not require extensive medical training but can help a doctor in numerous ways.
Responsibilities of a Cardiology Technician
As a Cardiology Technician, you will be handling the analysis of tests and working on medical reports. BSc Cardiology prepares you in:
- Taking care of patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
- Testing patients for any symptoms of heart problems.
- Applying basic as well as advanced life support skills.
- Learning the usage and maintenance of medical equipment as well as machines valuable to this branch of medicine.
- Catheter insertion and usage of pacemakers in any kind of clinical setting.
- Learning the invasive emergency procedures that are crucial for saving someone’s life.
- Observation of the correct method of performing the cardiac procedure before the application of practical skills.
- Studying as well as understanding cardiac-related procedures.
Mentioned below is the eligibility criteria for pursuing BSc Cardiology or BSc Cardiac Technology:
- This BSc degree requires the applicant to complete their 10+2 from a recognised educational board in the science stream.
- The major subjects you should have studied should include Biology, Physics, Chemistry [BiPC subjects] and English as these subjects are compulsory for the course.
- You need a minimum aggregate of 55% in your 10+2 to qualify for this degree. However, there might be specific eligibility criteria for different institutes offering the course.
Eligibility Requirements in India
- To pursue BSc Cardiology in India, you need to qualify for the entrance test in the university/college you are applying to.
- You do not need to qualify for the NEET exam to pursue BSc Cardiology or BSc Cardiovascular Technology.
To apply for a BSc degree in Cardiovascular Technology at a university abroad, you need to fulfil these requirements:
- Submit your class 12 mark sheets
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- English language proficiency test like IELTS/TOEFL
- Any other document specified by the university
- SAT/ACT might also be required.
BSc Cardiology Syllabus
Here is an overview of BSc Cardiology syllabus and subjects 2021:
BSc Cardiology First Year Syllabus
- Basic Anatomy
- Physical Anatomy
BSc Cardiology Second Year Syllabus
- Advanced Electrocardiography
- Introduction to Cardiac Technology
- Applied Pharmacology
- Exercise Stress Testing and ECG Recording
BSc Cardiology Third Year Syllabus
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Applied Cardiac Care Technology
- Clinical Cardiac Care Technology
BSc Cardiology Colleges
Since Cardiology is a specialisation of Medical Science, it is generally offered at postgraduate level for those who have completed their bachelor’s degree in Medicine and want to gain a specialisation. There are numerous universities and medical colleges across the globe that also offer Cardiology and its related specialisation at the bachelor’s level. There is a wide range of BSc Cardiology technology government colleges in India and you can also choose from varied private medical schools as well. Here are the major BSc Cardiology colleges in India:
Top Colleges in India
Tabulated below is a list of colleges/universities offering the BSc Cardiology or BSc Cardiac Technology in India:
|Name of College/University||Location|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu|
|JKK Natrajah Dental College and Hospital||Tamil Nadu|
|SRM Institute of Technology||Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu|
|Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Dr M.G.R Educational Research Institute||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|JIPMER||Puducherry, Tamil Nadu|
|Frontline Lifeline Hospital||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Vinayaka Missions University||Salem, Tamil Nadu|
|M.M.M College of Health Sciences||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu|
|Sri Jay Deva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research||Mysore, Tamil Nadu|
|Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences||Bangalore, Karnataka|
|Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences||Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh|
|Global University||Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Maharana Pratap Group of Institutions||Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh, Punjab|
|AJ Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre||Mangalore, Karnataka|
|Yenpoya University||Mangalore, Karnataka|
|Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute||New Delhi|
|Geetanjali Medical College and Hospital||Udaipur, Rajasthan|
|KLE University||Belgaum, Karnataka|
Top Universities in Abroad
Here is a comprehensive table enlisting top universities in the world offering course variants for BSc Cardiology which you must explore:
|University||BSc Cardiology Courses|
|University of Leeds||BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)|
|University of Southampton||BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)
BSc Healthcare Science
(Cardiovascular and Respiratory and Sleep Science)
|Middlesex University||BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)
Bachelor’s in Medical Physiology (Cardiovascular Science)
|University of Wolverhampton||BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)|
|Swansea University||BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)|
|Nova Southeastern University||BSc Cardiovascular Sonography|
|Massachusetts College of
Pharmacy and Health Sciences
|BSc in Diagnostic Medical Sonography – Echocardiography|
Jobs After BSc Cardiac Technology
After completing BSc Cardiology or any of its course variant, graduates can explore a wide range of career prospects in Medicine and Surgery. Further, many of those who complete a bachelor’s degree in Cardiology prefer to combine it with a master’s degree to gain expertise as well as clinical training. The main specialities for building a career in Cardiology are:
- Non-Invasive Cardiology
- Vascular Technology
- Invasive Cardiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Electrophysiologist Cardiology
Here are the major career opportunities one can choose from these different specialities after completing their graduation in Cardiology:
- Cardiac Surgeon (Cardiothoracic Surgeon)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist in Cardiology
- Electrophysiologist Cardiologist
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Medical Sonographer
- Dialysis Technician
- Nephrologist Technician
Salary After BSc Cardiology or BSc Cardiac Technology
The average salary of BSc Cardiology graduates is generally 40,000-50,000 INR per month and can vary as per the hospital or health centre you are working with.
Scope of BSc Cardiology in India and Abroad
BSc Cardiology trains you for entry-level technician roles in the field of medicine but if you want to become a doctor after completing your Bachelor of Science in Cardiology or Cardiac Technology, you will have to pursue higher studies with an MSc degree and then an MD in Cardiology. To become a Cardiologist, you need a higher-level qualification like an MSc Cardiology combined with Master of Surgery or MD in a specialisation of Cardiology. Here are the top MSc Cardiology and DM Cardiology Colleges in India:
- Manipal University, Manipal
- DY Patil University, Mumbai
- Parul University, Vadodara
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- Institute of Medical Sciences, Benaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana
- SRM Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Chennai
Check out the top universities and colleges to study masters or MD in Cardiology abroad:
- University of Hertfordshire, UK
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School, UK
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Trinity College Dublin
- Middlesex University London
NEET is not required to pursue BSc Cardiology and the basic eligibility criteria you need to fulfil is 10+2 in science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as core subjects.
Many universities and colleges have their own entrance exams for BSc Cardiology like Delhi University Entrance Exam, JIPMER Pondicherry, SSUTM Bhopal, etc.
You can explore a wide range of postgraduate degree courses in Medicine and Surgery after BSc Cardiology like an MD in Cardiology or Cardiac Technology to attain a higher-level qualification in this field.
A cardiologist is a specialized doctor who treats diseases in the cardiovascular system.
A Cardiologist treats the following diseases:
3. Congenital Heart Disease
4. High Blood Cholesterol and Triglycerides
5. Congestive Heart Disease
7. Atrial Fibrillation
8. Coronary Heart Disease
Hence, BSc Cardiology brings you to explore the medical science of the heart and cardiac-related diseases. There are numerous universities around the world offering this course to equip you with the desired skills and a complete understanding of handling heart diseases. If you are confused about whether this course is an ideal one for you or not, Leverage Edu experts can help you in discovering your passion and talents to choose the right course in medical science that aligns with your interests.