Biomedical Engineering unites both the worlds of medicine and engineering in order to close the gap between them. It uses engineering principles and design concepts in biology for healthcare purposes. Here, the combination of advanced engineering principles and biological sciences aims to revolutionize the healthcare industry. For students with a keen interest in science and mathematics, biomedical engineering is a popular choice that requires years of study. Common notions usually denote this field to be difficult, but believe us, nothing in this world is difficult if done with proper learning and training. UG Biomedical engineering programs run for a period of 3-4 years.
Keep up with this in this blog as we explain the best UG biomedical engineering programs and universities you could choose from.
This Blog Includes:
- Top UG Biomedical Engineering Programs
- Subjects Covered
- Undergraduate Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Top Universities for UG in Biomedical Engineering
- Tuition Fees
- Career of a Biomedical Engineer
- Recommended Books
Top UG Biomedical Engineering Programs
Biomedical engineering is a serious field of study and requires serious focus to excel in it. So, here are the top UG programs in biomedical engineering that you may pursue.
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
- B tech Biomedical Engineering
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering- Biomedical Engineering (Co-op)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering
- BE Biomedical and Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of applied science in Biomedical Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Bioengineering
Also Read- Biomedical Engineering Syllabus
These are some of the top programs which will help you to build your foundation in the field of biomedical engineering. You can choose any of them based on your choice of study.
You can check out a PDF of biomedical engineering syllabus here:
Undergraduate Basic Eligibility Requirements
Though it depends on the country/university you plan to study biomedical engineering from, the below are some of the general eligibility requirements for you.
The student must have completed the school education at 10+2 level, in a science stream, with a minimum aggregate of 70%.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
The English language proficiency requirements for taking admission to biomedical engineering are as follows:
TOEFL iBT: 90-100
The main documents required to take admission are:
- Graduation transcripts and/or Post-graduation transcript
- Evidence of citizenship (Passport)
- Name and contact details of two professional references.
- CV/ Resume (updated)
- Letter of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Statement of Purpose
Top Universities for UG in Biomedical Engineering
In order to excel in Biomedical Engineering, you need to study the right course from the right university. So, here we present you top 10 schools for pursuing UG in Biomedical Engineering.
- Johns Hopkins University: Johns Hopkins University provides its students with the opportunity to enhance their engineering skills in order to help you solve even the most complicated problems in medicine. The university provides access to high end equipment for students to work on. In order to complete the program, you will need to complete 129 credits.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 24.
- Harvard University: Harvard university acts as one of the top most universities for pursuing UG biomedical engineering programs. They help the students learn by integrating fundamental engineering disciplines such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics with the physical and life sciences while drawing on mathematics and computational sciences.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 5.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Georgia tech university challenges its students with practical hands-on problem solving and design experiences throughout the curriculum. Unlike other universities, they maintain a strong emphasis on research.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 88.
- MIT– MIT is a rigorous research focused institution. Combining the quantitative, physical and integrative principles with advances in mechanistic molecular and cellular bioscience, the course increases the understanding of students regarding how biological systems function.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 1.
- Duke University– Duke’s elective course sequences within the biomedical engineering program are unique offering which helps you become an expert in biomedical imaging and instrumentation, biomechanics and tissue engineering.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 50.
- Stanford University: Stanford University is known to have one of the best facilities for UG biomedical engineering programs. They help their students develop an innovation to biotechnology that meets critical industry needs for quality design, analysis and manufacturing. The university also provides an option of pursuing a co-terminal degree which allows students to work towards their master’s while completing their bachelor’s degree.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 3.
- University of Michigan: The university focuses on the practical learning of the students and has strong ties with the medical centre. The practical uses of the degree are emphasized by promoting interactions between physicians and BME students during undergraduate studies.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 25.
- University of California, San Diego (UCSD): The university focuses on technological innovation and the importance of mentorship in the field. They prepare students to attain the depth, breadth and central areas of bioengineering.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 53.
- UC Berkeley– The UG biomedical engineering program at the biological department of the university is a competitive program that emphasizes a strong foundation in engineering and biological sciences.
QS World University Ranking 2023: 27.
Also Read- Biomedical Engineering Jobs
The tuition fee for UG Biomedical Engineering is provided in a table below.
|In India||INR 2-3 Lakh|
|In Abroad||20,585 USD (INR16.5 lakh)|
Career of a Biomedical Engineer
Essentially, Biomedical engineers are involved in designing and creation of medical equipment and devices such as artificial organs, replacement for body parts and machines for diagnosing medical problems. Following are some of the basic duties of a biomedical engineer-
- Create medical solutions to different problems in biology after in depth analyses.
- Research on the engineering aspects in relation to the biological structures of humans and animals.
- Design medical equipment and devices.
- Conducting research, publishing research papers, and writing technical reports.
- Creation of computer software to run complicated medical instruments.
Average Salary in India and Abroad
The average salary of a biomedical engineer in India and abroad is:
India: INR 3 lakh.
Canada: $115,124 (CAD) (INR 69 lakh)
USA: $92,620 (INR 76.5 lakh)
UK: £35,882 (INR 36 lakh)
To support you in your academic journey, here are some of the recommended books:
- Medical instrumentation by John G Webster
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering by John Enderle and Joseph Bronzino
- Smart Drug Delivery System by Ali Demir Sezer
- Biomedical Engineering – From Theory to Applications by Reza Fazel-Rezai
- Biochemistry by Sathyanaraynan
- Advances in Biomimetics by Anne George
- State of the Art in Biosensors – General Aspects by Toonika Rinken
- Biomedical instrumentation by RS Khandpur
Johns Hopkins University is one of the best universities for biomedical engineering.
Mbarara University of Science and Technology in Uganda offers biomedical engineering.
There are various opportunities and handsome salary packages provided to biomedical engineers.
Thus, we hope this blog was helpful in answering all your doubts regarding biomedical engineering programs. Connect with our Leverage Edu experts now to get assistance in getting admission in a UG biomedical engineering program of your choice in your dream university. Sign up for a free session with us now! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.