Biotechnology is all about utilizing biological systems and combining them with technology to come up with various innovative solutions. From revolutionizing the field of Agriculture to bringing advancements in Medical Science, Biotechnology is proving to be the stepping stone ensuring the progression of diverse industries. It is a branch of Science that works towards the development of chemical tools at the minuscule level. Biotechnology encompasses scientific and technological applications in the field of Biology blended together with technological advancements. It has emerged as a critical field for ensuring inventive developments in the field of Science. Pursuing a career in Biotechnology is a lucrative option for those curious enough to discover the striking combination of biological science with technology. This blog brings you all the details of MSc Biotechnology or MS Biotech along with how it can help you explore the vast field of Biotechnology and its potential to transform the world of biological science.
This Blog Includes:
|Course Name||Master of Science in Biotechnology|
|Degree||Master of Science(M.Sc)|
|Eligibility Criteria (Abroad)||-B.Sc in related subjects|
|Eligibility Criteria (India)||-B.Sc in related subjects with 50% marks|
-BHU PET/ BITSAT/JNUJEE/ DUET score
|Popular Career Profiles||Research Scientist, Sr. Associate Scientist, Biotechnology Researcher, Associate Engineer, etc|
|Employement Areas||Research and Development, Hospitals, Laboratories, Research Organizations, etc|
|Starting Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000 per annum|
Why Pursue MSc Biotechnology?
Completing a higher education is considered beneficial in today’s competitive world as every industry requires individuals with specialized knowledge of a particular field. Pursuing MSc Biotechnology, you can explore career opportunities various food manufacturing companies, pharmaceuticals, public-funded laboratories, environmental control and waste management organisations, food-processing industries, chemical energy and allied industries. Accomplishing this degree, you can get employed in an array of diverse areas such as production, planning and management of various bio-processing industries. If you want to delve deeper into biotechnological innovations, you can also opt for becoming a research associate leading you to facilitate experiments in Biotechnology under the supervision of established scientists. Along with these career prospects, you also have the scope to work in several other fields like Sales, Research, Administration, Marketing, Breeding, Quality Control, Technical Support, etc.
MSc Biotechnology: Overview
Master of Science in Biotechnology or MS/MSc Biotechnology can be regarded as an interdisciplinary program that involves a combined study of techniques and theories of biochemistry, biology and biomedicine. Since Biotechnology is all about the use of biological and biochemical processes for producing new compounds, this course strives to impart skills related to synthetic biology and molecular cell biology, so that the students are able to understand cores of biotechnology. Along with strengthening the conceptual part, candidates will also be required to devote ample time of the course in research practices as they will be asked to submit a dissertation on completion of MS Biotech.
MS/MSc Biotechnology Courses
There are numerous specialised MS Biotech courses which you can choose from. These courses are structured to help you gain expertise in your chosen field along with delving deeper into it with a research-oriented curriculum. The duration of these courses can vary from one university to another. Here are the major MS/MSc Biotechnology courses:
- MSc in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (1 year)
- MSc in Food Science and Biotechnology (16 months)
- MSc in Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology Research (1 year)
- MSc in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (1 year)
- MSc in Bio- Business (1 year)
- MSc in Industrial Biotechnology (1 year)
- MSc in Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (1 year)
- MSc in Industrial Biotechnology (2 years)
- MSc in Pharmacology and Biotechnology
Eligibility Criteria for MSc Biotechnology
Before opting for MS Biotech or MSc Biotechnology, it is necessary to understand the major course requirements that you need to fulfil. Though the actual course requirements might vary as per the course and university, here are the general eligibility requirements for MS/MSc Biotechnology:
- Completion of 10+2 education from a recognised institution.
- A UG degree like BTech Biotechnology or BE Biotechnology Engineering with a minimum required GPA.
- If you are planning to study MS Biotechnology abroad, you will have to provide GRE scores along with IELTS/ TOEFL/PTE scores etc as well as Letter of Recommendation and Statement of Purpose.
- Some universities even demand work experience in the related industry, however, it is not mandatory.
To pursue the same course in India, candidates have to fulfil the below-mentioned requisites-
- Basic education of 10 + 2 from a recognised board with BiPC Subjects along with mathematics.
- UG degree in Biology Sciences or related fields with a minimum of 50% from a recognised institution.
- Some candidates to qualify national or state level entrance exams like BHU PET, BITSAT, DUET, JNUEE.
Admissions in the top institutes of India for MSc in biotechnology are given via an entrance test.
- It is advised that students check the admission process for the said institute they want to apply to. However, candidates must meet the minimum eligibility criteria to be eligible to appear for the entrance test.
- The marks students score in the entrance test will be the deciding factor whether they will be shortlisted or not for admission in the course.
- Certain institutes in India provide direct admission to students based on their bachelors’ performance and the marks they obtained.
MSc Biotechnology Subjects
Being an MSc course, this program focuses on getting into the depth of the subject. The entire duration of the program will be of two years, within which candidates will study an array of subjects related to theoretical and practical concepts of biotechnology. Also, in the final year, candidates are expected to choose a specialisation field from options like Animal Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology, Medicinal Biotechnology, Industrial Biotechnology, etc. Tabulated below are the common subjects from that you will study while pursuing MS Biotechnology:
|Enzyme Technology||Advanced Genetic Engineering||Bioinstruments||Genomics and Bacterial Genomics Lab|
|Advanced Molecular Biology||Environmental Microbiology and Waste Management||Immunology and Immunotechnology||Medical Biotechnology|
|Principles of Biotechnology||Fermentation Technology||Cancer Biology||Advances in Plant Biology|
|Bioinformatics||Animal Cell Technology||Genomics||Bioinstrumentation Lab|
|Genetic Engineering Lab||Molecular Biology Lab||Biostatistics||Food Microbiology|
MSc Biotechnology Syllabus
To help you understand better what will be the course-structure of MSc Biotechnology, here is the semester-wise syllabus of the course-
|Semester 1||-Animal Cell Technology|
-Advanced Molecular Biology
|Semester 3||-Fermentation Technology|
-Environmental Microbiology and Waste Management
|Semester 4||-Medical Biotechnology|
Top Universities India and Abroad
There are numerous colleges around the world that offer MSc Biotechnology courses. Countries like Canada, Australia and UK are known for their extensive work in Biotechnology and have leading universities providing numerous courses in Biotechnology. Below we have listed down the major universities in the world that are renowned for their courses in Biotechnology and Biosciences. The institutes provide good study environment and academic experience that will help you build an illuminating career:
- Centennial College, Canada
- University of Glasgow, UK
- La Trobe University, Australia
- The University of Adelaide, Australia
- Curtin University, Australia
- University of Sheffield, UK
- University of Wollongong, Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Flinders University, Australia
- Coventry University, UK
- University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- University College Dublin, Ireland
Top academic institutions offering MSc Biotechnology in India are-
- Savitribai Phule Pune University
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Anna University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- University of Hyderabad
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Calcutta University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
There are numerous industries that require MSc Biotechnology graduates, including, pharmaceutical companies, clinical research centres, medical devices manufacturing companies, etc. You can also opt for working as a researcher in laboratories and universities to get a deeper exposure of Biotechnology. Here are the major job profiles for MSc Biotechnology or MS Biotech graduates are:
- Environmental or Safety Specialist
- Lab Technician
- Research Scientist
- Medical representative
- Research Associate
- Quality Control Officer
- Lab Technician
- Analyst (Venture-Capitalist)
- Business Development Manager
Hopefully, this blog has provided you with all the information required to establish a career in Biotechnology. Leverage Edu mentors can assist you in selecting the right program in Biotechnology that can help you grasp a complete understanding of the field to build a great foundation for beginning a thriving career in Biotechnology.