Among the many fields of academics that have evolved and existed, medicine is one of the oldest and noble areas of study and research. The medical world covers multiple domains and taps major diseases, treatments that are requisite for human survival. To become a medical professional and specialize in a specific domain, students must opt for a Master’s degree or Doctor in medicine after their graduation in MBBS, BHMS, BUMS, etc. This blog will guide you with the essential points about the course structure and other requirements for MSc in Medicine.
This Blog Includes:
MSc in Medicine: Highlights
|Entrance Exams||NEET PG/ MCAT/ UCAT|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 to 20 Lacs|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 12 Lacs|
What is MSc in Medicine?
MSc in Medicine is a postgraduate program that comprises many subspecializations under anatomy, surgery, or pharmacy. Through the MSc in Medicine program, students can explore diverse fields like Human medicine, Veterinary medicine, nutrition/dietetics, biomedicine, etc. Students learn and develop vital skills by practicing in clinics and hospitals under professional guidance. These skills are necessary to attain mastery in the medical field and become competent physicians.
Also Read: Masters in Emergency Medicine
Specializations for MSc in Medicine
The world of medicine has endless outlooks and areas to study, research, and explore. This vast field is divided into branches for people to gain specializations under Masters in Surgery. The following is a list of the major branches to pursue an MSc in Medicine.
- MSc in Paediatric Medicine
- MSc in Microbiology
- MSc in Urology
- MSc in Anatomy
- MSc in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- MSc in Ophthalmology
- MSc in Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy
- MSc in Orthopedics
Eligibility Criteria and Requirements
The basic prerequisites for pursuing MSc in Medicine include one year completed in the following subjects: biology, physics, calculus, general chemistry, and organic chemistry. Apart from this, the following are the essential criteria to determine eligibility for MSc in Medicine:
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline from a recognized university.
- A minimum CGPA of 3.0 is required.
- For students who wish to study abroad, English proficiency test scores such as IELTS/TOEFL are also required.
- Students who wish to pursue MSc in Medicine overseas in countries like the USA, Australia, Canada, and Caribbean Islands require a minimum score of 25 for MCAT (Medical College Admission Test).
- Students who wish to pursue Medicine in the United Kingdom must The UCAT ( UK Clinical Aptitude Test) to be eligible.
- Applicants must also submit a letter of motivation or a personal statement that includes the student’s motivation and vision for pursuing an MSc in Medicine and becoming a physician.
To excel and secure the desired job after MSc in Medicine, choosing the best institution is necessary. There are multiple courses and specializations offered by universities across the world with access to the latest equipment to help students get hands-on experience and practice. The following list consists of the top universities across the world for MSc in Medicine.
|QS Ranking 2020||University|
|#2||University of Oxford|
|#3||University of Cambridge|
|#5||John’s Hopkins University|
|#7||The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)|
|#8||University College London (UCL)|
|#10||Imperial College London|
Top Universities in India
Apart from the above globally acclaimed universities, India too has several institutions that cater to provide excellence for students. The following is a list of the top medical colleges in India for an MSc in Medicine.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- Christian Medical College
- National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences
- Banaras Hindu University
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research
- Kasturba Medical College
- King George’s Medical University
Scope of MSc in Medicine
Despite being a highly competitive field, the scope of medicine is always huge. There is an everlasting need for medical professionals owing to the increasing intensity and number of diseases. Students who complete their MSc in Medicine can earn up to INR 12 lacs p.a. However, depending on the position, skillset, and institution, the salary can vary.
Hope this blog helped you understand the various branches and requirements for pursuing MSc in Medicine. The field of medicine is a highly evolving and ever-changing subject. It is important that students keep updating their knowledge and learn the latest developments in the scientific and medical world to boost their progress. If you are planning to pursue MSc in Medicine from any of the aforementioned universities and need guidance, our experts at Leverage Edu will assist you through your journey. Sign up for a free session today!