Bachelor’s of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS) is an undergraduate degree course for those who are aspiring for a career in healthcare. It is one of the most popular medical courses and offers a wide range of career opportunities in several fields. BHMS course is a 5.5-year course which includes 4.5 years of study and 1 year of internship. Homeopathy is a branch of ancient medicine that combines holistic practices and approaches to cure different diseases. It is an evolving field with new medical innovations and developments taking place in different parts of the world. Homeopathy is emerging as one of the fastest-growing professions offering global career opportunities. Here is all the information that you will need about the different aspects of a BHMS course, along with the eligibility criteria and top colleges in the world offering the BHMS course.
This Blog Includes:
Overview of BHMS Course
Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery is a 5.5 year full-time medical program. It comprises the various aspects of homoeopathic knowledge, its ability to manage and prevent health problems that affect the functioning of human wellness. It is an intensive combination of ancient medical practices and modern science with an emphasis on long-term treatments such as allergies, body syndromes, and minor injuries. BHMS course provides students with techniques and skills which are ancient therapeutic methods used for the treatment of human bodies that leave no side effect of any sort on the human body post-treatment. This is useful for the treatment of patients with body disorders and syndromes. On the completion of the course, candidates will have a thorough knowledge of anatomical features of human body and proficiency to deal with the diseases as per the Homeopathic systems.
Eligibility Criteria for BHMS Course
Candidates who are willing to pursue a BHMS course are required to meet the general eligibility criteria with respect to the chosen study destination. The requisites to pursue this course abroad differs to some extent as that one India. Let us understand what all is required to pursue this course abroad as well as India.
Here are the general admission requirements for pursuing BHMS course in India:
- Completion of formal education of 10+2 from a recognised institution with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as core subjects
- Applicants must qualify class 12th examination with minimum 50% marks
- Minimum required score in NEET
- Applicants must not be younger than 17 years of age
- Some universities also demand candidates to qualify the university-level entrance examination
Listed below are the eligibility criteria for pursuing BHMS course abroad:
- Candidates are required to pass class 10+2 from a recognized board of education with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as core subjects.
- Candidates are required to qualify the NEET Entrance Exam for getting admission into top colleges.
- It is essential to present decent scores in English language proficiency exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc. along with LOR and SOP
Subjects in BHMS Course
A Combination of subjects with equal importance on Anatomy and Physiology will be a part of the curriculum of the BHMS course. Subjects like General Anatomy, Regional Anatomy, Body Fluids, Respiratory; Digestive or Excretory system will help you strengthen your command over the theory and will also create a sound base for practical understandings that are a part of the course. Mentioned below are some of the major BHMS course subjects:
- Organon of Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Principles of Homoeopathy Philosophy
- Homoeopathy Material
- Medical Homeotherapeutics Community Medicine
- Surgery (ENT, Eye, Dental) Bacteriology
- Infant Care
- Human Anatomy
Human anatomy is the scientific study of the human body and its structure. It’s the study of observing injuries in the human body with the help of several scientific methods and technologies. Homoeopathy requires the knowledge of human anatomy in order to read body postures and angles for the identification of different diseases and illnesses. Human anatomy in itself is a wide subject which provides detailed knowledge regarding each organ and its functions. BHMS course provides students with a basic understanding of human anatomy to observe body dysfunction and disorders in order to provide treatment.
Immunology is the study of the immune system of both- human beings and other organisms. Immunology includes all physical, chemical and biological reactions of the organisms against any foreign substances. BHMS course comprises of two types of immunity namely, innate and adaptive which students get to learn about in greater detail during the duration of this course.
Principles of Homeopathy
BHMS course consists of the principles of Homeopathy which provides students with a basic knowledge of homeopathic principles. The principles such as the Law of Similars help in predicting a particular disease which can be cured by medicine.
Pathology is one of the most important aspects of the BHMS course that deals with medical knowledge to study the cause of a disease. It comprises of diagnosis and management to study diseases that affect the structure and functioning of the human body. It involves various laboratory-based analysis of bodily fluids such as urine, tissue enhancement, organ functioning and the blood flow in the body. The course comprises of Clinical Microbiology to understand microorganisms better. BHMS course provides students with various aspects of Microscopic Pathology that could help them practice on body structures better.
Top Colleges for BHMS in India and Abroad
Homoeopathy has its roots attached to the Indian soil. Thus, you will find a handful of colleges and universities in India which offer this course. But with the wide-spread of this field and its long-term benefits, many universities abroad have made BHMS course a part of their set of programs.
Here are the top colleges in India for BHMS course:
- Lokmanya Homoeopathic Medical College, Pune
- Sanskriti University, Mathura
- Government Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Pune
- Kerala University of Health Sciences, Thrissur
- Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Homoeopathic Medical College, Mumbai
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Homoeopathic Medical College, Pune
- NaiminathHomoeopathic Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Agra
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Memorial Health Science and Ayush, University of Chhattisgarh Raipur
- The Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital
- GD Memorial Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital
Listed below are the top universities offering BHMS course abroad:
- Ontario Colleges of Homoeopathic Medicine
- College of Natural Health and Homeopathy
- Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences
- The Allen College of Homeopathy
- Georgia College
- College of Practical Homoeopathy
Career After BHMS Course
Generally, people have a common notion that a career in the medical field is limited to one job profile, but over the past few years, the involvement of medical graduates in various fields have denied this common myth. Most commonly students prefer to practice in their personal clinics. You can also continue to serve at the same hospital in which you pursued your internships. On average the graduates of BHMS courses in Indian earn an amount of 35-40,000 per month. Here are the employment areas that you can target after completing this course-
- Medical Colleges
- Research Institutes
- Charitable Institutions
- Personal Clinics
- Nursing Homes
We hope that this article on the BHMS course helped you in understanding the different aspects of this course. If you’re searching for the right course and university to study Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery, then Leverage Edu experts can help you shortlist a suitable course as well as an ideal university to begin a great career in this field.