Molecular biology is referred to as the field of biology which studies the composition, structure and interactions of cellular molecules such as nucleic acids and proteins which carry the biological processes which are essential for the maintenance and functioning of the cell. With the evolution of the double helix structure of DNA, molecular biology was discovered which has become one of the top booming careers in the world. This blog brings you a complete guide on Molecular Biology courses, eligibility, universities, jobs and more!
What is Molecular Biology?
Molecular Biology is the study of science which involves studying chemical structures and processes of biological phenomena that involve the basic unit of life, molecules. It is primarily concerned with understanding the interactions between the various systems of a cell including the interrelationship of DNA, RNA and protein synthesis and knowing how these interactions are regulated. It plays a vital role in understanding formations, actions and regulations of various parts of cells which can be used to efficiently target new drugs as well as understand the physiology of the cell.
Basically, this field of biology seeks to understand the three-dimensional structure of biological macromolecules through techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. Such biologists try to map the location of genes on specific chromosomes, associate these genes with particular characters of an organism and use genetic engineering to isolate, sequence and modify specific genes.
Top Molecular Biology Courses
Molecular Biology is commonly a part of programs in Genetics, Microbiology and Biochemistry, etc. and often this specialisation is offered in combination with such fields! Here are the most popular Molecular Biology courses:
- BSc in Genetics
- BSc in Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering
- BSc in Microbiology
- BSc Biology
- Bachelor in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- MSc in Molecular Biology
- MSc in Biomolecular Sciences
- Master in Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular and Cellular Biology
Must Read: BSc Microbiology Syllabus
Here are the top universities for studying courses in Molecular Biology:
- Harvard University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- John Hopkins University
- University of California-San Francisco
- University of Oxford
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Washington
- University of Toronto
- University of Cambridge
- Cornell University
- Yale University
Must Read: Scope of Microbiology
If you are applying for a degree in Molecular Biology, you need to qualify certain admission requirements and some of the major eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Official Academic Transcripts
- The applicant must have completed their bachelor’s degree in biology from a recognized academic institution with the minimum marks required by the chosen university.
- In order to be eligible for carrying out research work in the field, one must qualify the CSIR-UGC-NET exam or the ICMR JRF examination taking Life Science. Engineering or Pharm graduates with Biotechnology as a subject of study, having qualified in GATE examination with a minimum of 85 percentile can also apply for Research Fellowship subject to qualifying the written test and/or interview.
- If you plan to apply abroad then you will have to submit English language proficiency scores such as IELTS/TOEFL, etc.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
Explore the Branches of Biology!
Molecular Biology Jobs and Scope
Molecular biology is a rare field of science with a lot of potential and thus the competition is much less as compared to other fields of basic and applied sciences. Jobs in this field require you to work with advanced lab equipment, like cloning kits, DNA synthesizers, electronic guns. They regularly emphasize deductive reasoning and critical thinking in their tasks, as they attempt to enact change to processes and reinforce new methodology in solving problems.
Molecular biologists have an opportunity to get themselves a job at private industries, universities for research work or government agencies. Such biologists can also act as a consultant of specific scientific problems. There are a lot of research opportunities available in government agencies as well as universities.
The US Bureau of Labour Statistics estimated a growth of about 6% in this field in the next ten years which means this is the best time to seize the opportunity. A fresher with a molecular biology degree can earn anywhere between INR 6,00,000- INR 8,00,000 and this is just for the beginning which surely goes up with experience.
Popular Industries for Molecular Biologists:
- Consulting Services
- Research and Development
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
Top Molecular Biology Companies
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Editas Medicine
- Aarhus University
- Promab Biotechnologies
- T2 Biosystems
Check Out: Microbiology Jobs
We hope that this blog was able to familiarize you with different aspects of molecular biology in general as well as in terms of a career. Confused about finding the right university? Connect with our Leverage Edu experts and we will help you find the right course and university as per your interests and preferences!