Bachelor of dental surgery is a prestigious degree that requires tremendous hard work and perseverance. BDS is a 4-year degree that requires an additional year for internship purposes. However, it is after your BDS degree is over that the real question arises: what to do after BDS? While the career options certainly look good for BDS students, there are numerous courses after BDS that you can apply for. These courses are designed to provide specific knowledge and help develop job-oriented skills that will assist you in your career. Let us have a look at the major courses after BDS.
Choices for Courses After BDS
It is always beneficial to gain knowledge and develop as many skills as possible to start your career with a great profile and good pay. Whether you work in hospitals or you move forward with your own practice, a master’s degree is beneficial to pursue and provides credibility to your designation and skills. Some of the master’s degree level courses after BDS are:
- Masters in Dental Surgery
- Master of Dental Surgery in Endodontics and Conservative Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Pediatric Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Community Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Radiology and Oral Medicine
- Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontia and Preventative Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Pedodontics
- Master of Dental Surgery in Prosthodontics
- Master of Dental Surgery in Preventive Community Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Orthotics
- Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Pathology
- Master of Dental Surgery in Microbiology and Oral Pathology
- Master of Dental Surgery in Oral Medicine
- Master of Dental Surgery in Public Health Dentistry
- Master of Dental Surgery in Maxillofacial and Oral Pathology
- Master of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics
These were some of the master’s degree programs that can be taken up after BDS. However, if you wish to pursue a doctoral degree to gain expertise in the area, here are a few programs that you can pursue:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health Dentistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Prosthodontic
- Doctor of Philosophy in Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Orthodontics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Periodontics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
In addition to these courses, there are other courses after BDS available in the dentistry industry that prepare you for different kinds of roles. Here are some courses after BDS that prepare you for managerial tasks in the industry:
- MBA in Hospital Management
- MBA in Public Health
Top Colleges for Courses after BDS
Ensuring that you pursue a degree from a good college is as essential as choosing a specialization of your choice. Hence, listed below are some of the colleges that offer courses after BDS:
- McGill University, Montreal (MSc. in Dental Sciences)
- University of Alberta, Edmonton (MSc. Orthodontics)
- University of Manchester, Manchester (Endodontics MSc. (Clinical))
- Harvard University, Cambridge (DMD Program)
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (DMD Program)
- University College London, London (Masters of Endodontology)
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- Gulf Medical University, Ajman (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- University of Washington, Seattle (Master of Science in Dentistry)
- University of Iowa, Iowa City (Residency Program in Orthodontics)
- University of Rochester, Rochester (Masters in Dental Science)
Courses after BDS- Job Prospects
There are numerous options available for those wanting to pursue a career in dentistry.
- You can work for the defense services that require services for their troops.
- You can also become a lecturer or tutor after completing your course.
- You can also opt for field research which allows you to work in laboratories.
- You can also join hospital management systems to develop and exercise your managerial skills.
- You can also practice independently and establish your own clinic.
While we have provided you with all the information about courses after BDS, we understand that the process of choosing an ideal course for yourself can be confusing. With the help of the experts at Leverage Edu, you can shortlist a course that will play to your strengths and will help you in reaching your goals.