When it comes to achieving academic excellence at a reasonable cost, you must consider studying in Singapore. It is imperative to know that the Lion City is also counted in the list of the best education system in the world. From pursuing an MBA in Singapore to studying Masters in Singapore, the prospects of starting a professional career in the Asian nation are immense due to modern education it offers. Moreover, Singapore’s ministry of education offers financial assistance to international students to ease the financial burden. To make things more clear, here is a blog that highlights the salient features of the country and provides a guide to those who want to study in Singapore!
This Blog Includes:
- Study in Singapore: Brief Overview
- Why Study in Singapore?
- Top 10 Universities in Singapore
- Study in Singapore after 12th Commerce
- Study in Singapore after 12th Non-Medical
- Study in Singapore after 12th Medical
- Study in Singapore after 12th Arts
- Educational Institutes and Language Requirements to Study in Singapore
- Application Process to Study in Singapore
- Popular Courses to Study in Singapore After 12th
- Eligibility Criteria to Study in Singapore
- Cost of Studying in Singapore
- Cost of Living in Singapore
- How to Apply for a Student Pass?
- Study in Singapore Without IELTS
- Study in Singapore for Free
- Work and Study in Singapore
- Study in Singapore with Scholarship for Indian Students
- Jobs After Studying in Singapore
Study in Singapore: Brief Overview
Why Study in Singapore?
Influenced by the western system of education which aims at offering independent learning and skill development, Singapore has etched its name in offering comprehensive degree programs across scores of disciplines. Further, the Asian nation’s corruption-free society, low tax rates, well-developed infrastructure, and skilled workforce has increased the amount of international investment it receives. The other prominent reasons to study in Singapore has been given a rundown below:
- Language and Multiculturism– Now, you may not believe but Singapore has 4 national languages and English is also one of them. Hence, language won’t be an issue when you study in Singapore. Further, you can blend into the eastern and western culture at the same time because so many international students come here from various parts of the world!
- Safe & Hygenic Nation– Apart from the lush green recreation parks, Singapore, which is also called the Garden City has many historic monuments and tourist places to visit. Further, due to stringent laws, the country has very low crime rates and activities like ragging, drug abuse, etc, are also prohibited thus making the stay of those who want to study in Singapore a memorable experience!
- Affordable– When compared to other developed countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, UK, etc, you will find a satisfactory difference. The average cost of studying for an international student is 200K-400K Singapore Dollars. Additionally, you may also get scholarships that would reduce your expenses. As far as the living costs are concerned, it is slightly on a higher side.
- Sports and Recreational Activities– There is not a single human being who doesn’t like to take a break from studies. Right? Apart from movie theatres, shopping complexes, and tourist places, there are also sports activities such as wakeboarding, windsurfing, and dragon board racing, etc to explore in the Asian nation.
Remember! Chewing gum is banned in Singapore and if they find out that you are carrying it, you will have to pay the penalty of around $1K. Further, smoking in public areas is considered unacceptable behavior. And yes, if you do so, you will have to pay a fine between $152-$760!
Top 10 Universities in Singapore
Singapore welcomes international students from all around the world. The availability of high-end research centres makes MBBS in Singapore as well as Engineering in Singapore the choicest option amongst the aspirants. With advanced infrastructure and affordable education costs, Singapore is rapidly becoming a preferred choice for students aspiring to study abroad. Here are top 10 universities in Singapore for you:
|1||National University Of Singapore|
|2||Nanyang Technological University|
|3||Singapore Management University|
|4||Singapore University of Technology and Design|
|5||INSEAD – Singapore|
|6||James Cook University – Singapore|
|8||ESSEC Business School – Singapore|
Apart from offering quality education, state of the art infrastructure, and student-friendly environment, the universities in Singapore are revered for their comprehensive courses and the lectures delivered by experienced faculty. Enlisted are some of the popular universities, also called Institute of Higher Learning to consider when planning to study in Singapore:
National University of Singapore
The university was formed 114 years ago as the King Edward VII College of Medicine. In 1962, it ultimately came into existence as the National University of Singapore. Ranked at 11th and 25th position in the QS and Times Higher Education 2021 Rankings respectively, NUS is considered as the oldest autonomous research university in the nation. It provides a variety of courses in the field of Sciences, Dentistry, Design, Environmental Law, Arts, and Medicine. Furthermore, to ease the financial burden, the university also provides scores of loans, scholarships, bursaries, and aids to its students.
Nanyang Technological University
Established in 1991 as a teaching university, NTU is now the largest research university in the nation. Not only is it placed at the 38th position in the US News Report 2021 but has also been ranked 13th in the QS World University Rankings 2021 Rankings. Nanyang Technological University offers programs in the form of Coursework and Research. While the former covers courses related to Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Electronics, Engineering, and Design & Media. The latter lays emphasis on Chemical & Biomedical Engineering, Humanities, Physical and Biological Science.
Singapore Management University
Situated in the downtown region of Singapore, Singapore Management University was established in the year 2000. Apart from scores of undergraduate programs, SMU is revered for its postgraduation programs which are offered in the form of Research and Professional masters, PhD, and Professional Doctorate. It has also recently started a Doctor of Engineering (DEng) for those who want to delve deep into emerging fields like Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Software & Cyber-Physical Systems, etc. It is imperative to know that many of its degree programs, which span across 6 schools have received accreditation from AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS.
Singapore University of Technology and Design
Another popular university for those who want to study in Australia is the SUTD. Focusing on the core values like creativity, integrity, and leadership, the university has collaborated with 45 eminent educational institutions like MIT, Zhejiang, and SMU. The Singapore University of Technology and Design has etched its name in the field of Engineering and Architecture and offers scores of degree programs at both graduate and undergraduate levels. Furthermore, its Bachelor of Engineering and Master in Architecture have received accreditation form EAB and BOA respectively.
The Asia campus of the world-famous university, INSEAD, is located in Singapore. Apart from its coveted MBA and Global MBA courses, it is also known for offering Executive MBA programs in Finance, courses on Digital Transformation and Innovation, PhD in Management, and scores of online programs. INSEAD also provides residences especially for its executive program enrollees thus making it an ideal study in Singapore university!
Study in Singapore after 12th Commerce
There are numerous universities and colleges in Singapore that offer a wide range of undergraduate programs for Commerce students. From Business Administration to Economics and Information Studies, you can choose from a plethora of commerce courses to study in Singapore after 12th. Here are the best courses to study in Singapore after 12th commerce:
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Commerce in Finance
- Bachelor in Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor in Business Studies
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Building & Real Estate
- Information Studies
Study in Singapore after 12th Non-Medical
If you have completed your 12th with Science and Non-medical subjects, then you can choose from an array of engineering, technology and specialised courses to study in Singapore. Here are the sought-after courses to study in Singapore after 12th Non-Medical:
- Bachelor of Technology (BTech)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology
Study in Singapore after 12th Medical
Those students who wish to study in Singapore after 12th with a medical background have a sea of options to pursue. They are listed below:
- MBBS in Singapore
- Biological sciences
- Medicine and Surgery
Study in Singapore after 12th Arts
Singapore is a hub of educational institutions and offers various courses for students wishing to pursue arts stream after class 12th. The courses are listed below:
- Film making and Media
- Visual and Fine Arts
- Interior Design
- Fashion Design
- Social Sciences
- Digital Animation
- Theatre Studies
- Industrial Design
- Social work
Educational Institutes and Language Requirements to Study in Singapore
Having etched its name in various world rankings, the Singaporean universities are known for offering comprehensive courses and world-class infrastructure. Enlisted are the types of institutions available for those who want to study in Singapore:
- Public Universities
- Private Institutions
- Polytechnic Institutes
- Institute of Technical Education
- Foreign Universities
When we talk about language requirements, it is important to note that even though the Asian nation has 4 official languages, most of the courses are offered in English. Hence, the non-native students have to submit valid scorecards of English proficiency tests like IELTS and TOEFL.
Study in Singapore Masters
Universities in Singapore are renowned for offering quality education in almost every field. Revered among the top universities in the world, these institutes witness a great international student inflow making the country one of the best destinations for higher education. The universities are also known for offering specialized courses in the fields of Engineering, Management, and Law with flexibility in the duration of the course. Listed below are some of the top universities for studying masters in Singapore:
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore at Institute of Systems Science
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
- Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
- PSB Academy
- American Center for Education
- James Cook University
- Curtin University
- ESSEC Business School
Application Process to Study in Singapore
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked. Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Popular Courses to Study in Singapore After 12th
Even though universities of Singapore offer scores of undergradute, postgraduate, doctorate and short term courses, there are certain programs that are opted by both domestic as well as international students in high numbers. Glance over the following list of popular courses to study in Singapore:
- Masters of Business Administration [MBA]
- Architecture Courses
- Hospitality Management Courses
- Fine Arts
- Engineering courses like Mechanical Engineering, Telecommunications, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, etc.
- Medical Science courses
Eligibility Criteria to Study in Singapore
When you plan to study abroad, you have to fulfill certain parameters set by both the university and the country. So, in order to study in Singapore, here are the criteria or prerequisites you have to adhere with:
- You must have completed Class 12th or an equivalent exam to enroll in an undergraduate program.
- For postgraduate courses, you will need a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the chosen field.
- For some programs, GMAT/GRE scores may also be required.
- Clear the entrance exam, if any.
- Ensure that you have a valid passport that has at least 6 months of validity.
- Prepare a statement of purpose (SOP) and keep letters of recommendation (LOR) ready.
It is important to note that like other nations, Singapore doesn’t have a centralized agency for admission. So you will need to apply directly to the respective institution and submit the required documents along with it. You will also have to show the proof of funds in order to proceed with the process. Don’t forget to apply for the scholarships when you plan to study in Singapore. They may even ask you to submit an additional essay for a scholarship.
Cost of Studying in Singapore
As compared to other countries such as USA, UK, Australia. The cost of study is comparatively low in Singapore. On top of this you there are numerous scholarships as well in Singapore to help international students with their finances. Every university has a different fee structure depending upon the course and other factors. The undergraduate degree will cost around SGD 37926-54181 (INR 2100000 – 3000000). PG courses cost around SGD 36120 – 45150 (INR 2000000 – 2500000)
Cost of Living in Singapore
Now that you are aware of the cost of study in Singapore next comes the cost of living. The cost of living differs based on your location in the country. Some cities are affordable while others are expensive. There are plenty of part-time jobs that help students in managing their day-to-day expenses. Here are some of the major expenses that contribute to the cost of living in Singapore that will give an estimated idea:
|Accommodation||1500 SGD ( INR 82975)|
|Groceries||1200 SGD (INR 66538)|
|Leisure||700 SGD (INR 38813)|
|Transportation||500 SGD (INR 27724)|
|Miscellaneous||400 SGD (INR 22179)|
How to Apply for a Student Pass?
For those who are willing to study in Singapore, it is important to note that the student visa is referred to as a “Pass”. Although the university will file for a visa for you, you have to apply at the Students Online Application and Registration System (SOLAR) and submit a list of documents in order to get a pass issued. Given below is a brief overview of Singapore student visa application process:
- To apply, you must have been accepted to a full-time course. Those enrolled in Part-time courses cannot apply.
- Once you get an approval from the desired institution, apply at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) through SOLAR.
- For this, a processing fee of around $30 is charged. You will also be required to pay an issuance fee of $60 when you get your pass.
- As per rules, you have to show that you are financially able to support yourself.
- Submit the enlisted documents online like:
|Passport Details||Bank Statements (last 28 days)||eForm 16|
|Visa Application Fee||Work Experience Certificate||Bank Loan Sanction Letter (if required)|
|Passport Size Photograph||Fixed Deposit Receipts (if required)||Affidavit of Support Given By Sponsor on Rs.20 Stamp Paper|
Note: Submit your application 2 months before the commencement of your course.
Study in Singapore Without IELTS
Singapore does not have strict regulations regarding the compulsion of IELTS exam scores for foreign students seeking admission in their universities. Hence, many universities and Colleges in Singapore, in accordance with the Singapore education system offer preparatory courses and foundation programs for international students who don’t wish to giveIELTS. These courses and programs are designed as foundation and certification courses for those who wish to complete their studies in Singapore for a longer duration. Also, there are other preparatory courses available for international studies whose native language isn’t English. To know more checkout our blog on Study in Singapore without IELTS
Study in Singapore for Free
You can study in Singapore without emptying your bank accounts. Here is the list of the most affordable universities in Singapore:
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore University of Technology & Design
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
Work and Study in Singapore
An international student can work for a maximum of 16 hours a week while studying. For this, you need to have a work permit issued by the Ministry of Manpower. Let’s go through the following points to understand the process:
- Those who are enrolled in accepted colleges for full-time courses, they are exempted to apply for a work permit.
- Students or semi-skilled international trainees who have to undergo a training program for up to 6 months have to apply for a Training work permit.
- The students and graduates who are willing to work as well as holiday in the Asian nation for 6 months and are aged between 18 to 25 need to apply for a Work Holiday Pass.
Study in Singapore with Scholarship for Indian Students
Eager to start your journey in Singapore but taking a step back because of the cost of education? There are various scholarships available for International students in Singapore based on merit and other factors. Some are fully funded, some are university specific, course specific.To know more about the scholarships reward and process check out our blog on scholarships in Singapore Some of the popular scholarships are mentioned below:
- Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarships At National University Of Singapore (NUS)
- INSEAD-Syngenta MBA Scholarships For Developing Country Leaders
- Singapore International Graduate Award
- Science & Technology Undergraduate Scholarship From NUS
- Singapore Millennium Foundation Scholarship
- Singapore International Pre-Graduate Award
- GIIS Singapore Global Citizen Scholarship
- SIA Youth Scholarship
- President’s Graduate Fellowship
- Amity Global Institute Merit Scholarship
Jobs After Studying in Singapore
The average income in Singapore is 8450 – 10000 SGD/month. Here’s the average :
- 25% of employees earn around 50,000- 75,000 SGD
- 50% of employees earn around 80,000- 100,000 SGD
- 75% of employees earn around 120,000- 200,000 SGD
- 100% of employees earn around 300,000- 400,000 SGD
Hence, for those who want to study in Singapore, there are ample of universities you can consider. Needless to say, choosing a subject combination and university that aligns with your professional goals can be taxing. But don’t worry. Take the assistance of the Leverage Edu experts who right from completing application formalities to preparing you for a Visa interview will guide you at every step!