Singapore is definitely becoming a hot destination that you should consider for studying abroad. A whole series of global reports have recognized Singapore as a world leader in research and innovation over the past few years. According to the last QS Best Student Cities ranking, Singapore is at the 20th overall position, which means that it remains one of the most desirable student destinations in Asia and indeed the world. Through this blog, we aim to provide all that you need to know about PhD in Singapore for Indian students.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study PhD in Singapore?
- Applying for PhD in Singapore
- Qualifying Exams for PhD in Singapore
- Top Universities for PhD in Singapore
- Duration of PhD in Singapore
- Cost of Education in Singapore
- Scholarships for PhD in Singapore
Why Study PhD in Singapore?
- Prestigious universities: Universities ranking within the world’s top 100 institutions and high-impact research.
- Study in English: PhD and research in Singapore is conducted in English.
- Fully funded scholarships: There are various scholarships covering tuition and living expenses open to international students for those who have excellent academic records
- Quality of life: Singapore is one of the safest and cleanest countries in the world and is a great place to live as a postgraduate.
Also Read: Exploring Student life in Singapore
Applying for PhD in Singapore
If you have selected the programme that you want to apply for, you’ll need to be sure that you meet the following criteria in order to be considered:
- A degree in a relevant field
- GRE score should be high
- Proficiency in English Language such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Meeting the application criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the respective program. Your qualifying exam, GRE will play a big role in the application.
Also Read: Masters In Singapore: All You Need To Know
Qualifying Exams for PhD in Singapore
You will have the opportunity to select a specific research project. Your supervisor will then arrange for you to undergo what is known as the Qualifying Examination. The Qualifying Examination is a test designed to assess your ability to understand and criticise literature as well as test specific knowledge regarding your chosen research project. Upon passing this examination you will be confirmed as a PhD candidate and will begin working towards producing your thesis. If you fail this examination, you may continue to study for a Masters degree in your chosen subject.
Top Universities for PhD in Singapore
Let’s see the top universities for PhD in Singapore for Indian students and their QS World University Rankings of 2022:
|Universities for PhD in Singapore||Location||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|National University of Singapore||Lower Kent Ridge||11|
|Nanyang Technological University||50 Nanyang Ave||13|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design||Somapah||151|
|Singapore Management University||Victoria St||511|
|Singapore Institute of Technology||Dover||–|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design||Somapah||–|
|Singapore University of Social Sciences||Clementi||–|
As we have seen the top colleges, let’s dig deeper into the top universities.
National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore is one of Asia’s topmost and a world-leading research university, offering a global approach to its education and research programmes. It focuses on Asian context. The university offers a lot of training from sciences to music in both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. NUS currently has 12 faculties and schools across three main campuses – Kent Ridge, Outram, and Bukit Timah.
Best PhD courses:
- PhD of Engineering – Industrial Postgraduate Programme
- Business School PhD Programme
- PhD in Medicine
- PhD in Public health
- PhD in Social Sciences
Nanyang Technological University
Nanyang Technological University was established in 1955 with its campus in Yunnan Garden. The university collaborated with the University of Singapore to form a National University in 1980. Singapore University included three engineering schools in the campus of Nanyang University along with the Department of Applied Sciences. In 2004, the University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University became two independent universities.
Best PhD courses:
- PhD in Chemical and Biomedical Engineering.
- PhD in Chemistry.
- PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- PhD in Computer Science and Engineering.
- PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering.
Singapore University of Technology and Design
Singapore University of Technology and Design was established in 2009, it is a private institution that is associated with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The collaboration of the university with MIT covers Student Exchange Programmes, development of undergraduate curriculum, faculty visits for guest lectures and the establishment of the International Design Centre. Over the years, the university has won various awards, prizes, and championships.
Best PhD courses:
- PhD Economic Development Board Industrial Postgraduate Programme
- SUTD-NUS Joint Programme
- PhD SUTD Programme
Duration of PhD in Singapore
The duration of PhD in Singapore is around 4 years. It also can be of 2 years or 5 years depending on the certain courses of Phd.
Also Read: Singapore Education System: Unique Features
Cost of Education in Singapore
On average, SGD 1200 per month (INR 66246) for living costs. Tuition fees would range between SGD 22000 (INR 1214511)–SGD 30000 (INR 1656152) but it can vary from subject to subject. The students who pursue PhD degrees which are related to medical and nursing their tuition fees tend to be higher.
Scholarships for PhD in Singapore
Here is the list of scholarships for PhD in Singapore for Indian students who wish to pursue Phd in Singapore.
- Singapore International Graduate Award
- Science & Technology Undergraduate Scholarship (National University of Singapore)
- President’s Graduate Fellowship (NUS)
- Singapore Millennium Foundation (SMF) Research Grant Programme
We hope that we have provided you with all the essential information pertaining to the best universities for pursuing PhD in Singapore for Indian students. Are you planning to pursue a PhD in Singapore or in any other country? Then, take the help of our Leverage Edu experts today. Sign up for a 30-minute free career counselling session today itself.