Are you a big fan of ‘Grey’s Anatomy? Are you curious about how new technologies cure diseases? Are you curious to find out what happens in an operation theatre and to dream of a career there? Surgery is a branch of medical science that deals with illness or injury through surgical interventions. It consists of cutting, stitching, suturing, abrading and altering the tissues and organs of the body. This is one of the fastest-growing areas and offers many career opportunities in both the public and private sectors around the world. In this blog, we shall be telling you all about the Master of Surgery program that will surely help you to make your career in this field of medical science.
This Blog Includes:
- What is MS (Master of Surgery)?
- Why Study Master of Surgery
- Different Specialisations of Master of Surgery
- Syllabus for Master of Surgery
- Top Master of Surgery Entrance Exams
- Eligibility Critieria
- Skills Required
- List of Top International Universities Offering Master of Surgery
- List of Top Indian Universities Offering Master of Surgery
- Master of Surgery Jobs & Placements
- Scope of MS (Master of Surgery)
What is MS (Master of Surgery)?
A Master of Surgery is a postgraduate course that includes the fundamentals of surgical theories and assessments. This is an ideal program for anyone wishing to pursue a career in surgery. Master of Surgery is a 3-year professional course and makes students a thorough knowledge of the different elements of surgery. The course includes a wide variety of concepts involving different surgical methods for the treatment or diagnosis of a human body. Students are taught the subtleties of human anatomy, microbiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc. The course allows students to gain an in-depth understanding of complex surgeries and to conduct clinical and academic evaluations for treatments.
Why Study Master of Surgery
- This course is specifically created for students who wish to pursue careers in surgery and who want to become surgeons. Graduates of this programme may find employment in a variety of settings, including clinics, health centres, hospitals, and nursing homes.
- They may also engage in private practise.
- Join hospitals, labs, and medical schools.
- If the aspirant plans to pursue a career in medicine, they should consider becoming an ophthalmologist, plastic surgeon, vascular surgeon, neonatal surgeon, or researcher. They should select this option.
- Additionally, these specialists get average compensation of between Rs 4 and Rs 35 lacs. However, when a person gains knowledge and experience in this sector, their pay may rise. Therefore, a graduate can make a good living by pursuing a profession in any of the disciplines mentioned above.
Different Specialisations of Master of Surgery
As a Master of Surgery student, you will have a varied knowledge of various surgeries, diseases, brain chemistry and diseases. Here are the various specialisations that are offered in this course of Master of Surgery or MSc in Surgery:
|Open Surgery||Open Surgery specialisation in Master of Surgery is the basic and a traditional element of Surgery in which an incision is made using a tool to give a complete view of structures and organs to the surgeons.|
|Laparoscopy||Laparoscopy is a specialisation under Master of Surgery which is performed in the abdomen or pelvis using small incisions using surgery cameras to check the organs and examine the abnormalities.|
|Endoscopy||Endoscopy in Master of Surgery is a procedure to examine the interior of a hollow organ or cavity in the body. It is executed through a small tube with a light and a camera lens at the top. Master of surgery provides students with various practical knowledge where students learn about various tissue samples and testing of different organs.|
|Arthroscopy||In a Master of Surgery, students get to learn about examining, treating and repairing the inside of bones, joints, knees, shoulders, etc. Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure in which surgeons look at the interior of a joint with the use of an arthroscope. It involves various techniques of examining the skeleton structure of the human body, different joints and their treatment.|
|Neurosurgery||Neurosurgery is that aialisation under Master of Surgery that deals with matters of the human brain and other parts of the nervous system and spinal cord.|
|Ophthalmological Surgery||Ophthalmological Surgery is one of the modern specialisations under Master of Surgery that deals with such latest and technological driven procedures and surgical methods, including laser surgery, to perform operations that correct problems and promote faster recovery in human beings, while minimizing the amount of pain experienced by the patient during the conventional way of performing a surgery|
Other types/ specialisations of surgery are as follows:
- Vascular or Cardiovascular
- Plastic and Reconstructive
- Colon and Rectal and many more
Syllabus for Master of Surgery
|First-year||General surgery Paper on Anesthesia Paper on Radiology and Radiotherapy Paper on Orthopedics Paper on Traumatology|
|Second-year||General surgery Paper on Neuro Surgery Paper on Plastic Surgery Paper on Pediatric Surgery Paper on Urology Paper on Cardio-Thoracic|
|Final year||General Surgery Intensive Coaching|
Top Master of Surgery Entrance Exams
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
- JIPMER PG
- NIMHANS PG exam
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology PG entrance exam
- In the Master of Surgery program, students are required to have an MBBS degree or equivalent from a recognised institution or university.
- Students must have passed the bachelors with a minimum of 60% of aggregate marks in or to the eligibility criteria. The percentage may vary from one university to another.
- Candidates are also required to have at least a year of experience in the form of an internship, to pursue a Master of Surgery. The years of experience may vary according to the universities.
- Students are also required to give different extra entrances at different universities across the world.
- If one wants to pursue a Master of Surgery from abroad, then the candidate is also required to give English Proficiency Tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE to study abroad.
- All official academic transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- At least 2 letters of recommendation
- Updated CV or Resume
- Knowledge of the subject matter
- An empathetic approach towards the patients
- Must be able to identify different dimensions or determinants of health issues in a patient
- Ethical practice and principles
- Understanding of different national and international health programs and schemes
- Good understanding of the research methodology and epidemiology
- Quick decision-making skills
- Communication skills
- An active personality and presence of mind
- Analytical skills and abilities
- Managerial skills
- Good listening skills
List of Top International Universities Offering Master of Surgery
There are several colleges and universities around the world providing relevant degrees to international students in the Master of Surgery program. Here is a list of major universities around the world that offer a Master of Surgery.
|University of Notre Dame||Australia|
|University of Alberta||Canada|
|University of Plymouth||UK|
|University of New South Wales||Australia|
|University of Teesside||UK|
|University of Liverpool||UK|
|Queen Mary University of London||UK|
|University of Hong Kong||China (SAR)|
|University of Glasgow||Scotland|
|University College Dublin||Dublin|
|The University of Adelaide||Australia|
|University of Leeds||UK|
|University of Bristol||UK|
List of Top Indian Universities Offering Master of Surgery
Given below is the list of some famous medical colleges and universities in India that are providing Master of Surgery or MSc in Surgery programs to students.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- Father Muller Medical College
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Coimbatore Medical College
- Gauhati Medical College and Hospital
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College
- Indian Institute of Technology- Kharagpur
Master of Surgery Jobs & Placements
|Career options/ Jobs||Approximate Salary(LPA)|
|General Surgeon||10 to 25 LPA|
|ENT surgeons||8 to 10 LPA|
|Gynaecologist||12 to 25 LPA|
|OrthoOrthopaediceon||15 to 25 LPA|
|Neurosurgeon||20 to 35 LPA|
|Trauma Surgeon||17 to 35 LPA|
|Indian Army Doctor||12 to 22 LPA|
There is a great need for specialised doctors in the public sector, on the railroads, and in several other governmental organisations like NRHM. Indian hospitals are well-known both domestically and abroad. The best hospitals are Apollo, Fortis, and Medanta, to mention a few. A Master of Surgery degree holder might work at several facilities. The private sector in India is booming hence, there will be a high demand for doctors with a Master of Surgery.
Scope of MS (Master of Surgery)
MS has a very wide reach both in India and outside nowadays where everyone’s health is their first. More people now seek out doctors who are experts in the field. In India, the Master of Surgery (MS) programme has a very broad and flexible scope. It relies on the abilities, qualifications, and environment of each applicant in question. The MS programme places a strong emphasis on professional development and uses that to benefit society. MS is a degree because individuals who earn it gain not only financial benefits but also social status and respect. Although working as a surgeon can be difficult and demanding, it is also rewarding. Surgery careers are always fulfilling since they allow surgeons to contribute to the country’s health.
Hence, the field of Surgery encompasses a specialised branch of Medical Science that is concerned with surgical knowledge for treating various injuries and diseases. Studying a Master of Surgery, you will get deep embedded expertise in understanding various organs, diseases and surgical procedures. Leverage Edu mentors can help you find the right college to pursue this postgraduate degree in Surgery which can equip you with the right knowledge and exposure to the specialised field of Medical Science.