Are you a big fan of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’? Are you curious about how new technologies cure diseases? Are you curious to find out what happens in an operation theatre and to dream of a career there? Surgery is a branch of medical science that deals with illness or injury through surgical interventions. It consists of cutting, stitching, suturing, abrading and altering the tissues and organs of the body. This is one of the fastest-growing areas and offers many career opportunities in both the public and private sectors around the world. In this blog, we shall be telling you all about the Master of Surgery program that will surely help you to make your career in this field of medical science.
This Blog Includes:
A Master of Surgery is a postgraduate course that includes the fundamentals of surgical theories and assessments. This is an ideal program for anyone wishing to pursue a career in surgery. Master of Surgery is a 3-year professional course and makes students with a thorough knowledge of the different elements of surgery. The course includes a wide variety of concepts involving different surgical methods for the treatment or diagnosis of a human body. Students are taught the subtleties of human anatomy, microbiology, biochemistry, pathology, etc. The course allows students to gain an in-depth understanding of complex surgeries and to conduct clinical and academic evaluations for treatments.
Different Specialisations of Master of Surgery
As a Master of Surgery student, you will have a varied knowledge of various surgeries, diseases, brain chemistry and diseases. Here are the various specialisations that are offered in this course of Master of Surgery or MSc in Surgery:
|Open Surgery||Open Surgery specialisation in Master of Surgery is the basic and a traditional element of Surgery in which an incision is made using a tool to give a complete view of structures and organs to the surgeons.|
|Laparoscopy||Laparoscopy is a specialisation under Master of Surgery which is performed in the abdomen or pelvis using small incisions using surgery cameras to check the organs and examine the abnormalities.|
|Endoscopy||Endoscopy in Master of Surgery is a procedure to examine the interior of a hollow organ or cavity in the body. It is executed through a small tube with a light and a camera lens at the top. Master of surgery provides students with various practical knowledge where students learn about various tissue samples and testing of different organs.|
|Arthroscopy||In a Master of Surgery, students get to learn about examining, treating and repairing the inside of bones, joints, knees, shoulders, etc. Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure in which surgeons look at the interior of a joint with the use of an arthroscope. It involves various techniques of examining the skeleton structure of the human body, different joints and their treatment.|
|Neurosurgery||Neurosurgery is that specialisation under Master of Surgery that deals with matters of the human brain and other parts of the nervous system and spinal cord.|
|Ophthalmological Surgery||Ophthalmological Surgery is one of the modern specialisations under Master of Surgery that deals with such latest and technological driven procedures and surgical methods, including laser surgery, to perform operations that correct problems and promote faster recovery in human beings, while minimizing the amount of pain experienced by the patient during the conventional way of performing a surgery|
Other types/ specialisations of surgery are as follows:
- Vascular or Cardiovascular
- Plastic and Reconstructive
- Colon and Rectal and many more
Eligibility and Important Documents
- In order to pursue the Master of Surgery program, students are required to have an MBBS degree or equivalent from a recognised institution or university.
- Students must have passed the bachelors degree with a minimum of 60% of aggregate marks in order to match the eligibility criteria. The percentage may vary from one university to another.
- Candidates are also required to have at least a year of experience in the form of an internship, to pursue Master of Surgery. The years of experience may vary according to the universities.
- Students are also required to give different entrances exams as per different universities across the world.
- If one wants to pursue a Master of Surgery from abroad, then the candidate is also required to give English Proficiency Tests like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE to study abroad.
- All official academic transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- At least 2 letters of recommendation
- Updated CV or Resume
- Thorough and in-depth knowledge of the subject matter
- an empathetic approach towards the patients
- Must be able to identify different dimensions or determinants of health issues in a patient
- Ethical practice and principles
- Understanding of different national and international health programs and schemes
- Good understanding of the research methodology and epidemiology
- Quick decision-making skills
- Communication skills
- An active personality and presence of mind
- Analytical skills and abilities
- Managerial skills
- Good listening skills
List of Top International Universities Offering Master of Surgery
There are several colleges and universities around the world providing relevant degrees to international students in the Master of Surgery program. Here is a list of major universities around the world that offer a Master of Surgery.
|University of Notre Dame||Australia|
|University of Alberta||Canada|
|University of Plymouth||UK|
|University of New South Wales||Australia|
|University of Teesside||UK|
|University of Liverpool||UK|
|Queen Mary University of London||UK|
|University of Hong Kong||China (SAR)|
|University of Glasgow||Scotland|
|University College Dublin||Dublin|
|The University of Adelaide||Australia|
|University of Leeds||UK|
|University of Bristol||UK|
List of Top Indian Universities Offering Master of Surgery
Given below is the list of some famous medical colleges and universities in India that are providing Master of Surgery or MSc in Surgery programs to students.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- Father Muller Medical College
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Coimbatore Medical College
- Gauhati Medical College and Hospital
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College
- Indian Institute of Technology- Kharagpur
Hence, the field of Surgery encompasses a specialised branch of Medical Science that concerns with surgical knowledge of treating various injuries and diseases. Studying a Master of Surgery, you will get deep embedded expertise in understanding various organs, diseases and surgical procedures. Leverage Edu mentors can help you find the right college to pursue this postgraduate degree in Surgery which can equip you with the right knowledge and exposure into this specialised field of Medical Science.