With urbanization and advancement in technology, new methods of planning, designing, and constructing buildings have sprouted. Due to the emergence of the requirement to make skyscrapers, highways, housing complexes, malls, etc, the need for Architecture graduates is growing. Among other Architecture Courses, there is one that can take you to places, i.e. Bachelor of Architecture(b arch). In this blog, we will look at the course, eligibility, and other important aspects of this particular program.
This Blog Includes:
- Bachelor of Architecture Course Highlights
- What is a Bachelor of Architecture?
- Why Study Bachelor of Architecture?
- Top Bachelor of Architecture Entrance Exams
- Skill Sets Required for Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Architecture Top Specializations
- Bachelor of Architecture Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor of Architecture Subjects Covered
- Bachelor of Architecture Top Books
- Top Universities for Bachelor of Architecture Abroad
- Best Colleges in India for Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Architecture Scope
- Jobs After Bachelor of Architecture
Bachelor of Architecture Course Highlights
|B Arch Full-Form||Bachelor of Architecture|
|B Arch Course Duration||5-Years|
|B Arch Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based|
|B Arch Eligibility||50 percent in class 12 or a Class 10 + a recognized college diploma|
|B Arch Average Course Fee||INR 4-8 Lakhs|
|B Arch Average Salary Offered||INR 2-5 Lakhs per annum|
What is a Bachelor of Architecture?
A Bachelor of Architecture falls under the technical domain which solely focuses on the development of skills that are essential to being an Architect. The main motto of getting this course is to equip individuals with the abilities to build highways, and commercial malls and engage in civil construction. With a brilliant mindset, a student can apply their able ideas and analytical observation to become excellent professionals in this field.
It is mandatory for candidates wanting to pursue this course to have a strong background in Science. Duration of the course might vary as per the country picked by the student, usually, the course is 5 years long but a few universities are offering a 3-4 year course in Bachelor of Architecture. The program is perfectly designed to produce licensed and professional Architects who are authorized to do private and government construction. The degree equally emphasizes the theory and practice of the designing process as well as commercial drawings.
To become an Architect, interested candidates need to have a rational and artistic bent of mind along with problem-solving abilities. The career scope of B.Arch graduates is tremendous with the flourishing construction sector. A qualified graduate has an option to choose their line of work from areas ranging from consultants to architectural designers.
Why Study Bachelor of Architecture?
- Individuals with a creative or design flare should enroll in the course, as it will help them transform their amateur or naïve talents into creative masterminds.
- In India, the average starting income for Bachelor of Architecture degrees is INR 3,50,000, which is significant when compared to other streams’ starting wages.
- With time and expertise in the field, the income would rise sharply, eventually reaching INR 10,00,000 per year. However, this varies by location, with the greatest salary available in areas like Bangalore, Hyderabad, and others, ranging from INR 70,000 to INR 85,000 per month.
- Between 2020 and 2025, the architectural services market is estimated to increase at a CAGR of 4.2 percent, reaching $395 billion. This opens up opportunities to relocate overseas for greater exposure and job opportunities.
- It is always a good idea for an architect to go to new areas to learn about and view different types of architecture in other nations.
Top Bachelor of Architecture Entrance Exams
- National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) -NATA, one of India’s most popular architecture tests, is held twice a year to determine eligibility for BArch admissions into universities. However, no joint counseling is provided, and individuals must apply to their favorite universities individually.
- JEE Main Paper 2 -JEE Main Paper 2 is administered by the National Testing Agency (NTA) and is used to get admission to BArch programs at NITs, IIITs, GFTIs, and private universities.
- Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) – Candidates must pass JEE Advanced 2021 to be considered for AAT. Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to enroll in IITs’ BArch programs.
Also Read: Diploma in Architecture
Skill Sets Required for Bachelor of Architecture
|Knowledge of Designing Skills||Analytical Skills|
|Communication Skills||Ability to take initiative|
|Critical Thinking||Reasoning Ability|
|Ability to pay attention to details||Knowledge of Construction|
Bachelor of Architecture Top Specializations
|Architectural engineering||Architectural history|
|Architectural design||Interior architecture|
|Urban planning||Landscape architecture|
Bachelor of Architecture Eligibility Criteria
In order to study a full-time Bachelor in Architecture program, a student has to fulfil the below-given eligibility criteria:
- Students must have passed their 10+2 examination or equivalent with Mathematics as one of the core subjects from a recognized board of examination.
- ACT/ SAT Exam score is required to pursue this course.
- IELTS / TOEFL / PTE Exam score is mandatory to study in most of the anglophone countries.
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Bachelor of Architecture Subjects Covered
The course curriculum of Bachelor of Architecture may vary as per the university one applies for, however, majorly, the degree encompasses different methods of constructions. Topics and which can be covered in this degree are mentioned below:
- Art & Design
- Building Sciences & Services
- History of Architecture
- Architectural Design
- Building Construction
- Drawing Communication
- Theory of Structures
- Workshop Practice
- Computer & Software Lab
- General Proficiency
- Project Work
- Design Applications
Apart from theoretical knowledge, skilful mentors will make you well versed with designing applications and software to help you gain practical exposure to work.
Bachelor of Architecture Top Books
There are plenty of books available in the market. Here are some of the best books for revision and preparation during exams:
|Thesis Manual for B architecture by Navneet Moth||Buy Here|
|B.Arch (B architecture) Entrance Exam Guide by Surendra Kalimantan||Buy Here|
|Steps to Architecture by Nimish Madan||Buy Here|
|The Great Ages of World Architecture by GK Hiraskar||Buy Here|
Top Universities for Bachelor of Architecture Abroad
To get a holistic understanding of the B architecture program, it is mandatory to pursue the course form globally reputed schools. Enlisted below are some of the best universities to study B.Arch:
- University College of London
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- TU Delft
- ETH Zurich
- Harvard University
- University of California Berkeley
- University of Cambridge
- National University of Singapore
- Manchester School of Architecture
Best Colleges in India for Bachelor of Architecture
If you don’t want to pursue a bachelor in architecture from abroad. There are prominent universities in India offering the same. Here is the list of best colleges in India for B architecture:
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee
- NIT Calicut
- CEPT University
- SPA Delhi
- IIEST Shibpur
- SPA Bhopal
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
Bachelor of Architecture Scope
An architect has an enormous range of options available in his/her backend for career growth. They can grow in government or private sectors unequivocally. There are ample opportunities available for a student who is pass-out with a Bachelor in Architecture. Areas like Roads and Buildings, Urban Affairs, Public Works, Defence, and Railways welcome graduates to works and excel in their careers. Private organisations equally can help a pass-out to grow in the field and deliver an ability to show their skills. Candidates can work in construction MNCs in their home country or abroad with this degree. Students who have an interest in academics can also go for a Masters in Architecture.
Also Read: Career in Naval Architecture
Jobs After Bachelor of Architecture
Personnel working in the field of Architecture require to design models, coordinate with fellow construction workers, settling projects, planning of town, etc. Candidates get lucrative salaries and excellent exposure after completing the B architecture program. A plethora of jobs are available for fresh graduates with this degree, given below are some of them:
- Civil Engineer
- Landscape Architect
- Highway Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Landscape Engineer
- Building Contractor& Researcher
- Architectural Historian
- Land Developer
- Architectural Engineer
Top Recruiting Companies
Bachelor of Architecture opens a door to various MNCs and an option to start up own firm. The placement depends on academic background, skills, interviews, and many other factors. Here are the popular recruiting companies:
- Shapoorji Pallonji & Co. Ltd.
- Christopher Charles Benninger Architects
- Shilpa Architects
- Oscar & Ponni Architects
- C P Kukreja Associates
|Job Profile||Average Salary Offered|
|Design Architect||INR 3.67 Lakhs per annum|
|Project Assistant||INR 3.12 Lakhs per annum|
|Project Architect||INR 5.97 Lakhs per annum|
|Interior Designer||INR 3.04 Lakhs per annum|
|Urban Planner||INR 5.25 Lakhs per annum|
Are you still finding it hard to find a university which is the amiable and perfect abode for your career development? Do you still have apprehensions in your mind as what Bachelor of Architecture will fetch you? Team Leverage Edu understands your concern, we are here to help you find a suitable college with our unique AI tool.