When we talk about Europe, a sense of sophistication comes to mind. The culture, the charm and the practices that the Europeans follow are just awe-inspiring. But what you might not know is the fact that Europe is also a popular choice for getting an education abroad. Europe offers around a hundred thousand choices for bachelors, masters, PhD, and short-term exchange programs to international students giving them the autonomy to choose what suits them. But studying in Europe is not just a degree, it’s an unmatched experience. Students often research a lot to get into European universities where they can get recognition worldwide. And if you are one of them, today is your lucky day as we have sorted everything for you below.
This Blog Includes:
- Study in Europe News 2021
- Why Study in Europe?
- Top Countries to Study in Europe
- Top Universities in Europe
- Study in Europe after 12th
- Study in Europe without IELTS and TOEFL
- Masters in Europe
- Best Courses to Study in Europe
- Application Procedure
- Obtaining Student Visa in Europe
- Cost of Studying in Europe
- Scholarships to Study in Europe
- Study in Europe: Quick Facts
- Important Information
- [Bonus] Study Guides
Study in Europe News 2021
- Despite the ongoing pandemic, UK universities are actively accepting and fast-tracking admissions of international students across the world. Students interested in studying in the UK can easily apply and physically join the campuses in the country after a period of mandatory quarantine of 14 days.
- According to official reports, Indian students on a German student visa without a residency permit cannot travel to the country to resume their education.
- Similarly, Italy, France and Switzerland have placed a temporary ban on travellers from India in light of the new strain in the country.
Why Study in Europe?
There are an array of reasons why choosing to study in Europe can help you advance in your academic and career journey and some of them are elucidated below:
- Countries like France, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark and Italy are popular choice for studying in Europe by international students.
- The best system for Hotel and Tourism Management Education is in Switzerland. There are various paid internships with this course.
- Apart from being an extremely popular tourist destination, France has exceptional fashion, arts, culinary and business courses.
- For students who are interested in pursuing engineering, Germany is the right country for them. Germany has the lowest tuition fees across Europe.
- Italy is another popular destination for fashion and business courses. The opportunities available here for students are vast and the exposure given to them is also wonderful.
- Ranked as the 10th best country in the world for a living, there is another reason for staying in Denmark. The education system here is excellent and the science and technology courses here are also very good.
Top Countries to Study in Europe
Being a multicultural hub and a melting pot of diverse cultures and nationalities, Europe has always been amongst the choicest study destinations across the globe. To help you explore the best during your research to study in Europe, we have curated a list of top-ranked countries in the continent that you must consider.
Known for imparting free education as well as world-renowned universities, Germany needs to be at the top of your list when considering the countries to study in Europe. Carving its name in research excellence in Science and Technology as well as an advanced education system, the country’s universities have always featured amongst the top in the worldwide rankings. With a compelling history and its transformation to modern metropolises, to study in Germany is to experience the ‘Land of Poets and Thinkers’ which is one of the academically acclaimed countries in the continent. Some of the top universities in Germany include,
- Technical University of Munich
- Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
Another incredible option to study in Europe, Austria is situated in the centre of Europe and is internationally reputed for its innovation in music and the arts. Home to the University of Vienna which is the oldest one in the German-speaking part of the continent, Austria offers a plethora of academic opportunities to students around the world and is known for its stunning architecture, high standard of life as well as a multitude of cultural offerings. Amongst the varied academic institutions, some of the major universities to study in Austria include,
The royal land of English, the United Kingdom is amongst the prominent destinations to study in Europe. It presently has three of its universities in THE World University Rankings 2020 and is considered as the doorway to the rest of the continent as you can avail a plethora of academic and professional opportunities! With its stringent quality academic programmes and featuring amongst the leaders of scientific and creative innovations, to study in UK is to immerse in its educational excellence which will give the right push to your career. A few of the most popular UK universities are:
Note: In the light of the recent Brexit, the United Kingdom is no longer a part of the European Union and the admission process of the country will wholly differ when compared to other countries and is only included here as a part of the continent in geographical terms.
Often referred to as the crossroads of eastern and western Europe in both geographical and cultural terms, Poland is an enticing study destination to opt for. Having had a turbulent history it emerged strong in terms of flourishing economy as well as an advancing education sector, the country houses many renowned universities in the content and gives you a fair chance to delve deeper into its enticing history especially that of capital Warsaw as well as striking landscapes like the Tatra Mountains and Baltic Sea. Some of the well-known universities in Poland are:
Here’s an exclusive guide to Study in Poland!
Though having a Dutch-speaking population, the Netherlands avails more than 2,000 university programs which are taught in English and is home to a diverse multicultural population you can easily blend into. Emphasising on interactive as well as student-centred learning and teaching, the Dutch government has always put its focus on retaining talent from abroad and thus has provided an exclusive option to register for a one-year residence permit once you graduate. To study in Europe in this country, the top universities you must know are,
- University of Groningen
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- Delft University of Technology
- University of Amsterdam
- Leiden University
Know All About the Admission & Visa Process by Our Comprehensive Guide on Study in Netherlands!
Acclaimed for the best education system in the world, Finland boasts of high-quality higher education standards as well as a unique approach to learning which will surely convince you to choose it to study in Europe. Having famed academically focused institutions as well as vocationally oriented polytechnic institutes, the country provides a multitude of English-taught programs and high quality of life along with political stability as well as a warm and welcoming environment for international students. A few of the globally ranked universities in Finland are:
France is one of the best countries to study in the continent. With over 43 universities ranked amongst the top world higher institutions, France is popular for its elite business schools, Grande école and renowned universities. France is an ideal destination for students looking to study business management, international relations, culinary arts, foreign languages, fashion, fine arts and performing arts. As one of the most sought after- European destinations, the country’s architecture, world renowned monuments, quaint cafes and fashion houses are some of the biggest attractions. Here are the top universities in France
- Université PSL (Paris Sciences et Lettres Research University)
- Ecole Polytechnique (ParisTech)
- Sorbonne University
- Sciences Po Paris
Known for its majestic mountains, trains and eclectic cheeses, Switzerland is not just an incredible place to study but an incredible country to live in terms of quality public transport, accommodation, food, cleanliness and low crime rate. Europe’s happiest country is home to world’s largest organisations, business houses and is a growing business market for international students who wish to settle abroad. The country is known for its academic courses like international relations, foreign languages, international business, MBA, hotel management, hospitality and engineering. Here are some popular universities in Switzerland
- ETH Zurich
- EPFL Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne
- University of Zurich
- University of Geneva
The divine land of art, culture and history, Italy is one of the greatest European countries to study programmes like Architecture, Art, Performing Arts, Fashion, Economics and MBA. Italy is the mecca of international students in terms of affordability and quality academic programmes. To study in Europe’s most historically-rich country is an opportunity to explore some of the greatest human creations. Italy is home to some of the best universities such as-
- Polytechnic University of Milan
- University of Bologna
- Sapienza University of Rome
- University of Padua
Top Universities in Europe
Along with the above-mentioned countries, we have listed below some of the well-known universities across the different countries on the continent that you must consider studying in Europe as per QS World University Rankings 2022:
|University||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|University of Oxford||2|
|University of Cambridge||=3|
|Imperial College London||7|
|University College London (UCL)||=8|
|University of Edinburgh||16|
|University of Manchester||=27|
|London School of Economics andPolitical Science||49|
|King’s College London||35|
|Technical University of Munich||50|
|University of Bologna||53|
|University of Amsterdam||55|
|Wageningen University & Research||=62|
|Erasmus University Rotterdam||179|
|Delft University of Technology||57|
Study in Europe after 12th
International students can study in Europe after 12th, the admissions are based on previous academic performance and English proficiency tests. In many cases, students can take pathway programs where they gain foundational knowledge about the course and gain proficiency in a language which will be the primary medium of instruction. These programmes allow students direct entry into degree courses and prepare students for the future. Students can opt for diploma courses in an array of courses or bachelor courses.
Study in Europe without IELTS and TOEFL
There are various universities where international students can study without IELTS or TOEFL, here is a list-
- Braunschweig University of Technology (TU Braunschweig)
- Free University of Berlin
- American Business School, Paris
- EBS Paris
- University of Bologna
- Polytechnic University of Milan
- Medical University of Warsaw
- University of Bialystok
- Ghent University
Masters in Europe
Europe is one of the most affordable continents to study for a Masters in the world. With the majority of universities ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and its countries ranking in the lists of best cities, Europe is the go-to study abroad destination. From studying hotel management in Switzerland to pursuing engineering in Germany, each country offers its own range of popular courses that you can pick from! Studying in Europe is not just a path to quality education but also to quality life and an opportunity to travel across the continent. To study masters in Europe, the basic requirement is English proficiency and a bachelor’s degree in the same area of interest.
Best Courses to Study in Europe
|Master of Business Administration||Foreign Languages||Culinary Arts||Law|
|Architecture||Data Science||International Relations||Natural Sciences|
Europe is a huge continent and hence the procedure for applying in universities may vary from country to country. Here is a list of some essential documents you will need by your side while making your application to study in Europe:
- Keep your academic transcripts ready as proof that shows you have passed high school.
- You will need a valid and non-expired passport since you are an international student.
- Admission essays, LORs and SOP
- English proficiency test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, and C1 Advanced are mandatory.
Planning to Study in Europe?
Here’s Your Chance to Get A Free Counselling Session!
Obtaining Student Visa in Europe
Without the letter of acceptance, it would not be possible for you to enter into any European country. So you will have to fulfil the application process and procure a letter of acceptance from a university first. Here is a basic overview of the process to get a student visa to study in Europe which can filled either online or offline depending on the country:
Step 1: Collect all the necessary documents required for a visa which include
- Passport size photos
- Application form
- An identification card or proof
- A proof of your educational qualifications like a high school transcript
- A certification from the police that illustrates that you haven’t been into any sort of criminal activity lately.
- Proof of sound financial ability
- Medical certificate declaring the fact that you are medically fit (applicable in some countries)
- Receipt of the payment you have made for the admission in your desired university
- Letter of acceptance
Step 2: Contact the consulate or embassy of the European country in which you are going to stay.
Step 3: On the day of the interview, they will ask you for the documents that you have collected earlier so be prepared. The consulate or embassy will give you the date of the interview.
Step 4: Generally a study visa in Europe gets issued within 2 to 5 weeks.
Cost of Studying in Europe
Finding how much it will cost to study in Europe will largely depend on the country you have opted for. For a country like Germany, you can save massively on tuition fees while the cost of living might still be avoidable. In order to understand the average costs you can expect during your studies in Europe, it is important to take a look at the country-wise tuition costs that can incur. The following list provides the estimated tuition fees for Non-EU/EEA students wanting to study in different European countries as provided by study.EU.
|Country||Tuition Costs to Study in Europe (Per year)|
|Austria||1,500 EUR (1,26,000 INR approx.)|
|Denmark||45,000-1,20,000 DEK (5,05,000-13,48,000 INR approx.)|
|Finland||5,000-20,000 EUR (4,20,000-16,79,000 INR approx.)|
|France||2,800 (for bachelor’s)-3,800 EUR (for master’s)
[2,35,000 INR-3,19,00 INR approx.]
|Germany||Free apart from minimal administrative fees of somewhere
around 100-350 EUR (8,400-29,400 INR approx.)
depending on your program
|Hungary||1,500 EUR (1,26,000 INR approx.)|
|Norway||Free education for EU/EEA as well as Non-EU/EEA students|
|Poland||1,500 EUR (1,26,000 INR approx.)|
|Slovenia||5,000 EUR (4,20,000 INR approx.)|
|Sweden||80,000-2,00,000 SEK (6,24,000-15,59,000 INR)|
Now, when it comes to living costs to study in Europe, this can also vary as per the country you have chosen as well as the city you are living in.
|Country||Average Living Costs to Study in Europe (Per year)|
|Belgium||10,200-11,400 EUR (8,56,000-9,57,000 INR approx.)|
|Netherlands||9,600-13,200 EUR (8,06,000-11,08,000 INR approx.)|
|Austria||11,400 EUR (9,57,000 INR approx.)|
|Denmark||14,400 EUR (12,09,000 INR approx.)|
|Ireland||12,000 EUR (10,07,300 INR approx.)|
|Finland||9,600 EUR (8,06,000 INR approx.)|
|France||9,900 EUR (8,31,000 INR approx.)|
|Germany||10,200 EUR (8,56,200 INR approx.)|
|UK||12,180 EUR (10,22,400 INR approx.)|
|Switzerland||CHF 22,734 (18,02,000 INR approx.)|
|Norway||NOK 139,680 (10,78,000 INR approx.)|
|Spain||10,800-13,200 EUR (9,05,600-11,07,000 INR approx.)|
|Russia||RUB 242,160 (2,51,200 INR approx.)|
|Sweden||SEK 96,000 (99,600 INR approx.)|
Note: The above-mentioned living costs are only for indicative purposes and have been referenced from Top Universities.
Scholarships to Study in Europe
Though Erasmus Mundus scholarships avail plentiful financial aid schemes for those wanting to study in Europe, there are a multitude of country-specific scholarships that you can opt for. These can range from scholarships offered by the university in a country or the national government for aspiring students across the globe. Take a look at the following table which enlists some of the prominent scholarships offered by European countries.
|Country||Scholarships to Study in Europe|
|Germany||The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarship|
|Switzerland||Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
for Foreign Scholars and Artists (Postgraduate programmes)
ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarship Program
UNU Fellowship in International Organizations
MBA Merit Scholarships (to study at the University of Geneva)
|Netherlands||Amsterdam Merit Scholarships for Excellent International Students
(to study at the University of Amsterdam for master’s degree students)
Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
World Citizen Talent Scholarship for International Students
Anne van den Ban Scholarships for Developing Countries
|Ireland||Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships
Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) Centenary Scholarship
NUI Galway International Student Scholarships (all study levels)
|Italy||University of Bologna Study Grants for International Students
(bachelor’s and master’s level programs)
Bocconi Scholarships in Italy for International Students
Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students
University of Bologna Study Grants for International Students
|Hungary||Stipendium Hungaricum (bachelor’s & master’s level)
Hungarian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students
|France||Emile Boutmy Scholarships in France for International Students
(bachelor’s and master’s programs at Sciences Po)
Eiffel Scholarships in France for International Students
Foundation Rainbow Bridge MBA Scholarships for
|Austria||Künstlerhaus Büchsenhausen Five-Month
Fellowship for International Students in Austria
(5-month fellowships for curators, theorists,
art critics, visual and media artists)
Austrian Government Scholarships (all study levels)
OFID funding for International Students in Austria
|Denmark||Education Future International Scholarship 2020
(Bachelor’s and Master’s)
Endeavour Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarship
Skype’s Foreign Studies’ Master’s Scholarship
ACI Foundation Richard D. Stehly Memorial Scholarships, 2020
|Finland||Finland Government Scholarships (Bachelor’s and master’s)
Hanken’s Scholarship Scheme in Finland (master’s programs)
Finland Seinajoki University of Applied Sciences Scholarships
Study in Europe: Quick Facts
Here are a few important facts you must keep in mind regarding studying in Europe.
- The programs of study or study programs are categorised on a per cyce basis. Colleges or universities in Europe follow the European Higher Education Area guidelines. The first cycle programs include the bachelor’s degrees. The second cycle programs include the master’s degrees. The third cycle programs include the PhD degrees.
- The application dates for EU and Non EU students are different. If you are a Non EU student then we recommend that you begin the procedure of your application at least a year earlier. This way, you will be able to meet the deadlines right on time.
- The validity of the Schengen Visa is only 90 days. If the course you are applying to will exceed a period of 90 days, then you will need something more than a Schengen visa. What you will require is a residence permit in the country of your choice. Certain countries in Europe may require for students to apply for a residence permit before arriving in Europe.
- The cost of education in Europe is highly subsidized. This is due to taxes. European students enjoy the benefit of extremely low rate or affordable fees. There is also the availability of no tuition fees. However, Non EU students have to pay the entire tuition fees. There are certain provisions where they can be relieved from paying the entire fees or just pay moderate to very low fees.
- You can understand and analyse your workload through the ECTS system. One school year in Europe is equal to 60 ECTS. The programs in the first cycle are worth 180-240 ECTS. the programs in the second cycle are worth 60-120 ECTS. However, the programs in the third cycle do not have a specific ECTS range.
Before you think about applying to a European university or move a step towards making your dream to study in Europe come true, it is essential to know student visas, English language requirements, application deadlines, intake dates, etc.
- The student intakes are different in each country. However, the main months of intakes are from September to October.
- The most preferred test for the English language is IELTS. This is for those colleges where the language in which the course is taught in English. TOEFL another test which is widely accepted by most of the colleges/ universities.
[Bonus] Study Guides
Have a look at our exclusively curated study guides of countries in Europe that you must consider:
|Study in France||Study in Sweden||Study in Norway|
|Study in Latvia||Study in Estonia||Study in Malta|
|Study in Cyprus||Study in Switzerland||Study in Denmark|
|Study in Ireland||Study in Italy||Study in Europe Without IELTS|
The best countries to study in Europe are UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Poland etc
The cheapest countries to study in Europe are Germany, Poland, Finland, Italy etc
The popular entrance exams for Europe are IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE.
Yes, students can study in Europe for free in countries like Germany, UK, Norway and more.
The country of Malta is voted as the best in terms of job opportunities.
International students can get PR in countries like UK, Germany, Poland, Norway, France, Italy after completing their studies and by fulfilling other requirements.
Europe is a vast continent with many courses and universities available to students across the globe. Although we have mentioned a general procedure for admission, the process may vary from country to country. At last, you may get puzzled which only adds to the confusion of different other things that we need to check off our list of making a study application abroad. Our experts at Leverage Edu are here to help in throughout the admission process of your chosen university thus to ensure that you make an impressive application and get successfully shortlisted and accomplish your dream to study in Europe.