Would it not be nice to study in a place that is away from the hustle and bustle of the world? If you are planning to study abroad in a peaceful country, you must look to study in Malta. Situated close to the coasts of Italy in the Mediterranean Sea, Malta is an archipelago that is known for its temples and fortresses. In the quest for obtaining a high-quality education, a large number of students prefer studying in countries with the best education system. And when we talk about excellent living standards and world-class education, Malta offers it all. In this blog, we will discuss the reasons why you should study in Malta and the best universities in the country.
|Popular Universities||The University of Malta, American University of Malta, Malta College of Arts|
This Blog Includes:
- 6 Reasons to Study in Malta
- Eligibility to Study in Malta for International Students
- Admission Process
- How to Get a Student Visa in Malta?
- Cost of Living in Malta
- Top Universities in Malta for International Students
- Popular Courses & Cost of Study in Malta
- Top 5 Universities to Study in Malta Without IELTS
- Student Accommodation in Malta
- Student Life in Malta
- Work While Studying in Malta
6 Reasons to Study in Malta
Home to nearly 4 lakh people, Malta is a small country in southern Europe. There are multiple reasons why you should study in Malta. The country is great for peace-loving people. Here are some of the reasons why you must study in Malta.
- Boasting a vibrant study atmosphere and the 5th best healthcare system in the world, the European country is emerging as a preferred study destination.
- Besides the scenic beauty and luscious cuisines, the country offers a dynamic education system with comprehensive courses in the field of Medicine, Engineering and Arts.
- There are significant career prospects after obtaining degrees from the educational institutions which are mostly located in Valletta, the capital of Malta.
- Studying in Malta is advantageous for those who are English-speaking as both Maltese and English are the official languages of the country.
- Owing to the stable economy, great weather and free health care, a large number of aspirants apply for permanent residency in the country.
- Malta is a fairly affordable place to live and study. You will easily be able to manage your education there.
Eligibility to Study in Malta for International Students
While applying for a university to study in Malta, there are certain documents that you will be asked to provide in order to send your candidature. Here is a list of major admission essentials you must have while making your application to study in Malta:
Undergraduate Programs in Malta
- Senior Secondary or high school leaving certificate
- Higher Secondary Marksheet and transcripts
- One year of successfully completed university education (any diploma or certificate program)
- Proof of English proficiency by submission of test scores of IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- SOP and LORs are also required.
Postgraduate Programs in Malta
- Provisional certificate from your previous academic institution from where you completed your bachelor’s degree.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proof of English proficiency by submission of test scores of IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- SOP and LORs are also required.
Note: The above-mentioned admission essentials are only for indicative purposes. Students are advised to get in touch with their chosen university or check their official website for the specified admission criteria and documents.
Admission requirements for foreign students in Malta are not stringent as long as the student follows the necessary procedures. Malta accepts foreign residents with a background education equivalent to the required level of general secondary education. Furthermore, Maltin universities welcome individuals with a Bachelor’s degree to Master’s Courses.
International students must have the following documents in order to obtain an invitation letter:
- An educational certificate with all studied topics and marks in it Passport as many as may be asked by application terms.
- Form of application
- Please keep in mind that all documents must be translated into Maltese.
The nominee is officially invited to Malta. This invitation must be presented to the Malta Embassy in order to obtain a visa.
Once your invitation has been granted, international students must prepare for all of the necessary requirements that may be demanded upon arrival. These types of documents are outlined below:
All students who arrive in Malta should bring the following documents:
- An educational certificate with all topics studied and grades
- Medical certification issued by an official public health service in the candidate’s home country
- AIDS test certificate issued by an official of the candidate’s home country’s public health service
- a copy of the birth announcement ten 4 x 6 cm pictures
- Maltin student visa with a national passport
- All documents must have a notarized English translation.
- Updated Resume
How to Get a Student Visa in Malta?
While there are some exceptions for EU citizens, non-EU nationals need to obtain a student visa, preferably a Schengen visa, to study in Malta. In order to apply for a student visa, you need to reach out to your nearest embassy or consulate to understand the process. Here are the key document essentials you must check before making your student visa application to study in Malta for Indian students:
- Duly filled visa application form
- Valid passport
- Passport-sized photos must be from the previous six months and must fit the requirements specified by the embassy
- Offer letter from the university or you can also provide a student status letter
- Proof of travel insurance must be covering the duration of the study and make sure to get a certificate from the insurance company to put in your application.
- Proof of sufficient financial funds. It is suggested that you must have 30 EUR per day and calculate the same for the whole duration you are planning to study in Malta. Also, as proof of financial means, you can provide your bank statements, salary slips or travellers’ cheques with the necessary amount you need to stay in Malta.
- Proof of travel plans, i.e. how you will be travelling to Malta. Moreover, the Maltese Embassy has insisted that aspirants must pre-book their travel before applying for a student visa.
- The visa application fee might vary by country so get in touch with your embassy to know about the fee for the Schengen visa or any other kind you are applying for as well as the payment method.
- Make sure you get extra photocopies of the above-mentioned documents that might need to be self-attested and enclosed with the application.
- A self-addressed special envelope will be of help for the embassy to post back your passports as well as other documents once the decision has been made.
Cost of Living in Malta
When it comes to the cost of studying and living in Malta for Indian students, you can expect affordable expenses in both cases. Malta is home to private as well as state-run public universities which offer courses at economical tuition fees to international students.
- For EU students and citizens of Malta, university education is free.
- Non-EU students will be required to pay tuition fees. The actual tuition fee amount might differ as per course and university but on average, you can expect to pay around 2,000 EUR (1,64,800 INR approx.)
- Further, accommodation expenses especially on-campus will require an additional amount.
Here is a rundown of all the major expenses that you will incur living in Malta for a month.
|Rent||EUR 700 (INR 61700)|
|Household Utilities||EUR 80 (INR 7,000)|
|Monthly Transportation (Local)||EUR 26 (INR 2,600)|
|Cost per Meal||EUR 8-10 (INR 700- 1000)|
|Internet||EUR 34 (INR 2,900)|
Also, keep at least 300 EUR (24,800 INR approx.) for all the major expenses and ensure that you get health insurance which will cover any health concerns you might have.
Planning to study abroad? Book a free consultation session by clicking here!
Top Universities in Malta for International Students
Following the pattern of the British education system, the universities in Malta offer a global standard education attracting a large number of students every year. Offering intensive and unique courses at both bachelor’s and master’s levels, the Maltese universities are renowned for inculcating research attitudes in students and training them for fast-changing opportunities. If you have set your mind to studying in Malta then here are some of the top universities where you can pursue higher education:
- University of Malta
- American University of Malta
- Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology (MCAST)
- St Martin’s Institute of Higher Education
- Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) in Malta
- STC University
- Advenio eAcademy
- London School of Commerce Malta
University of Malta
Having a history of imparting excellence in education for 400 years on Maltese Island, the University of Malta is the leading educational institute in the country.
- Ranked 601-800 category by the Times Higher Education ranking 2020, the university offers a range of degree programs at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- To meet the educational need of the country, this university is run by the government.
- With 14 faculties, 18 Institutes, 13 Centres and 3 Schools, the University of Malta is considered the best institute to study in the European country.
American University of Malta
Another option to study in Malta is the American University of Malta which is quite a relatively newer private institution that was established in the year 2015.
- The university aims at preparing students for the challenges in the industry while exposing them to a research-oriented curriculum.
- Students looking for robust courses in various disciplines can experience a comprehensive curriculum at the university.
- Offering a wide variety of courses in various fields, AUM is known for its undergraduate as well as postgraduate programs in Business Management and Engineering.
- Other courses that the university offers include Game Development, Graphic Design and Animation.
Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology (MCAST)
The Malta College of Arts, Science, and Technology was established in the year 2015 to make education accessible to everyone regardless of age and work.
- Offering part-time as well as full-time courses in a range of disciplines, the university also offers the option of customizing a course where a student gets to choose from a list of subjects like Applied Sciences, Creative Arts, IICT, Business Management and Commerce, Engineering and Transport, Community Services, Aquatics and Marine Animals, Agriculture, etc.
- Apart from this, MCAST also offers industrial training courses aimed at equipping students with the required skills to start their careers in their respective fields.
- Existing employees and women willing to restart their careers can also take advantage of the rigorous programs.
St Martin’s Institute of Higher Education
Founded in the year 1985, St. Martin’s Institute of Higher Education has tie-ups with the University of London. Committed to offering quality education in various fields, the institute offers leading degree courses in Computer Science, Commerce and Social Sciences.
- One of the leading institutes of Malta for higher education, St Martin’s Institute is accredited by National Commission for Further and Higher Education of Malta.
- SMI also offers short-term courses aimed at giving hands-on training to students in Computer Programming and Computer Security at a minimal rate.
Popular Courses & Cost of Study in Malta
Malta is known for tourism but it is home to some of the greatest universities. The place is perfect for you to study if you want to learn and enjoy nature at the same time. Many universities and colleges offer different courses in Malta. Here are some of the top colleges and the courses they offer:
PhD in Malta
Malta is a fairly small country. So, the courses and universities are limited. Here are some of the PhD courses offered in Malta.
|Transcontinental Institution Of Higher Education||Mosta, Malta||Accredited PhD in Business||Eur 14,650(INR 1,294, 300)||4-5 Years|
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||-Arts
-Accounting and Finance
-Anatomy and Physiology
-History of Art
-Tourism Travel and Culture
|EUR 11,000(INR 970000)||4-5 Years|
Study Medicine in Malta
Several institutes in Malta offer Medicine related courses. Here is a list of courses to study Medicine in Malta.
|Queen Mary University||Gozo, Malta||MBBS (5 Years)||EUR 38,000
|Queen Mary University||Gozo, Malta||Dentistry BDS (5 Years)||EUR 38,000
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||MBBS (5 Years)||EUR 26,000
Nursing Courses Malta
Several institutes in Malta offer nursing courses. Here is a list of courses to study Medicine in Malta.
|University||Location||Course||Fees per Annum|
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||BSc Hons (Mental Health Nursing)||EUR 10,800
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Higher Diploma (Health Science – Nursing Studies)||EUR 10,800
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Graduate Certificate- Non-EU-EEA Nursing Program||EUR 5,400
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Certificate in Foundation Studies in Health Sciences||EUR 5,004
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Preparatory Course for Higher Diploma in Health Science- Nursing Studies||EUR 10,800
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||BSc (Hons) Nursing||EUR 10,800
|Malta Leadership Institute||Birkirkara, Malta||Diploma in Nursing||EUR 6,000
Psychology Courses Malta
If you are interested in studying Psychology in a peaceful and quiet country, Malta is the place for you. Here are some of the top psychology courses in Malta.
|University||Location||Course||Fees per Annum|
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Bachelor of Psychology (Honors)||EUR 8,500
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Bachelor of Arts in Classics and Psychology||EUR 8,500
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Psychology||EUR 8,500
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Bachelor of Arts in English and Psychology||EUR 8,500
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Masters of Arts in Transcultural Counselling||EUR 10,800
|University of Malta||Msida, Malta||Master of Psychology in Clinical Psychology||EUR 10,800
|United Campus of Malta||Birkirkara, Malta||BSc in Psychology||EUR 6,000
|United Campus of Malta||Birkirkara, Malta||MSc in Clinical Psychology||EUR 6,000
Top 5 Universities to Study in Malta Without IELTS
What if you can be part of top universities without worrying about securing the IELTS bands? There are many universities offering courses without IELTS all around the world. Here is the list of the top 5 universities to study in Malta without IELTS:
- American University of Malta
- Global College of Malta
- London School of Commerce
- Learn Key Institute
Student Accommodation in Malta
Are you looking for low-cost student housing in Malta? What about a wonderful bed & breakfast in Malta or a student apartment in a single room in Malta? Leverage Edu will assist you in locating whatever type of lodging you require.
We prioritise making it simple to find discount rates in the most popular locations and close to the college or university where you intend to study. For a wide range of student accommodation in Malta, we provide complete information about the accommodation, including images, videos (in some cases), and student reviews.
International students can choose from a variety of different forms of accommodation in Malta, which vary in price. Students who crave freedom and independence can consider renting an apartment. Apartments in Malta normally have fully equipped kitchens and bathrooms and are furnished in accordance with Malta’s peculiarities. You have greater freedom and the ability to prepare your own meals. In most cases, single or double rooms are available in the same apartment. The pupils do their own cooking and cleaning. The flats are self-catering and largely unsupervised, however, they are close to local facilities such as cafes, bars, restaurants, stores, and bus stops.
Looking for a Student Accommodation? Your search ends here!
Student Life in Malta
There are numerous opportunities! The extra-curricular dimension of Maltese student life will undoubtedly leave you feeling accomplished and well-rounded upon graduation. This thriving neighbourhood is home to Malta’s Model United Nations Society, a new addition to the roster that was created in 2013. Students never run out of things to do here. Some options include:
- Mdina is the old capital;
- Fontanella is a must-see, as is the tea garden, which serves delectable chocolate and banana desserts.
- When it comes to amazing entertainment, the most popular options are St. Julian’s, the nightlife hotspot, and Valetta, the UNESCO-protected capital city.
- There are also fantastic clubs on the tiny island of Gozo, which offers a more rustic, peaceful lifestyle in contrast to the hustle and bustle of Malta.
- There are numerous restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and clubs, and residents tend to go out virtually every day, especially during the summer.
Work While Studying in Malta
Students as young as 16 are now permitted to work 20 hours a week in Malta while studying. The goal of this initiative is to entice more people to study in the country. You’re preparing well if you want to study and work in Malta, as you’ll discover here. A few things must be considered. Only students who will be in Malta for at least three months will be able to apply for the Work & Study Visa, as they will be able to work after their 90th day (3 months). That implies you won’t be able to apply if your course is only four weeks long.
In any scenario, the students will be issued with a Student Visa first. In other words, the processing of an employment licence takes 4 to 6 weeks. This implies you can only begin working after Week 13 (once the extension visa is granted). The visa is valid for a maximum of one year. Over the course of a year, the student must apply for a resident visa as well as employment through the same process.
Ans. Education at public universities is free for Maltese citizens and residents. Citizens of other EU countries can also study for free at public universities in Malta. Students from outside the European Union pay tuition starting at €3,000 per year, depending on the university and speciality.
Ans. MDX Malta’s annual tuition for EU/EFA students ranges from USD 6,140 to USD 11,150. For students from outside the EU/EFA, the range is USD 6,690 to USD 11,150.
Ans. Malta is one of the top places in the world to study abroad. Unlike in other English-speaking nations, living and studying in Malta is affordable. However, the cost of living varies based on your lifestyle and where you live. The island’s expenses are generally minimal.
Hopefully, with this blog, you have got an insight into the Maltese universities and the diverse courses they offer. If you are planning to study in Malta but are not sure about how to get started with it then the experts at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand. From selecting the university using our AI-enabled tool to completing the admission-related formalities, the mentors will assist during the entire process. So, What are you waiting for? Contact us Now and Book your FREE Consultation Today!