As a dynamic and ever-evolving industry, Hotel Management offers a wide range of incredible career opportunities worldwide. The hospitality industry is interconnected with travel and tourism and there are numerous short-term and degree programmes available for those interested in exploring exciting careers in these fields. If you are aiming to pursue a career in Hotel Management, then you have certainly come to the right place. This blog will walk you through the top Hotel Management courses, universities as well as career opportunities in this domain.
Our Top Read: Hotel Management Courses After 12th
This Blog Includes:
- What is Hotel Management?
- Skills Required for Hotel Management
- Hotel Management Courses Eligibility
- Hotel Management Courses After 12th
- Top Entrance Exams for Hotel Management
- Top Universities for Hotel Management Courses
- Hotel Management Colleges in India
- Syllabus and Subjects for Hotel Management Courses
- Career Scope
What is Hotel Management?
Hotel Management courses impart students with the knowledge of everything related to the functioning of a hotel ranging from housekeeping, catering to front-desk operations as well as accommodation operations. As a service-oriented sector, it trains students to develop hospitality etiquette, exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as well a customer-oriented approach. Further, these programmes also implement a practical approach to learning by providing students with extensive training on how a hotel is managed. For this, industrial training is a pivotal part of these courses to equip students with real-world exposure to this sector.
Check Out: Hotel Management Subjects
Skills Required for Hotel Management
In order to pursue a career in Hotel Management, you must have the skill set required to facilitate amazing customer service as well as efficiently manage the hotel or restaurant you are working at. Before exploring major Hotel Management courses, let’s take a look at the key skills required to build a successful career in this ever-growing sector.
- Excellent Interpersonal and Communication skills
- Polite Demeanor
- Team Spirit
- Good Listening Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work long and odd hours
- Multi-tasking skills
Hotel Management Courses Eligibility
The eligibility requirements for Hotel Management courses generally vary as per the programme and university you have chosen. Below we have given an overview of the eligibility prerequisites you must keep in mind while applying for a course in this field.
For Undergraduate Courses: The candidate must have completed 10+2 in any stream or its equivalent from a recognized board with the minimum marks specified by their chosen university.
For Post Graduate Courses: A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with the minimum marks required to apply for the programme.
Further, if you are planning to study Hotel Management courses abroad, then you will be required to provide language proficiency test scores of IELTS, TOEFL, etc.. Along with this, you must also submit a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and some academic institutions might also require Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
Note: The aforementioned eligibility criteria is only for indicative purposes. The actual eligibility requirements for diplomas, certificates, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctoral level might differ as per the programme and university.
Recommended Read: Eligibility for Hotel Management in Canada
Hotel Management Courses After 12th
Now that you are familiarized with what course in hotel management entails as well as the eligibility requirements you must know about, here is a list of top Hotel Management courses offered across the globe.
- Resort and Hotel Management Diploma
- Diploma in Hotel & Tourism Programme
- Postgraduate Diploma in Hotel and Resort Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Hotel & Design Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Business (International Hotel and Resort Management)
- Bachelor of Commerce in Hotel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Business – International Hotel Management
- Master of Tourism, Hotel, and Event Management – Hotel Management
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in the Department of Tourism, Sport and Hotel Management (MPHILTHS)
- MBA in International Hotel Management
- Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management
Let’s explore some of the best hotel management programs in further detail:
Bachelor of International Hotel and Tourism Management
Duration: 3 years
In this course, the learner will gain an in-depth understanding of the hotel and tourism sector, and the course curriculum is designed to impart knowledge of sustainability principles in tourism and its associated developments. This course will help you to develop key business skills in diverse areas such as leadership, financial management, marketing, and strategic management. This program equips you with the skills and knowledge that is demanded among the top employers and familiarizes you with the culture, service, and competitive aspects of international tourism and hotel management.
Bachelor of Commerce in Hotel and Tourism Management
Duration: 3 years
BCom in Hotel and Tourism management encompasses the study of different interdisciplinary topics like, entrepreneurship and marketing, accounting and management, tourism planning, systems, and contemporary hotel management. The curriculum further helps students to understand the concept of managing employee relations in a culturally diverse context.
Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management
Duration: 1-2 years
Studying the Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management, you will get to learn about the intricacies of the development and implementation of effective management strategies in hotel and hospitality management. You will also get to know about how hospitality markets operate in different locations relevant to your business.
Master of Tourism, Hotel, and Event Management – Hotel Management
Duration: 1-2 years
The curriculum of this Hotel Management course is quite unique since it also incorporates the study of event management along with different core subjects covering the major areas of travel and tourism and hotel management. It is amongst the best hotel management courses for those planning to explore hotel and resort management on a global level.
Top Entrance Exams for Hotel Management
Exams Around the World
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
- American College Testing Assessment (ACT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- IPU CET
- BVP HM
- GNIHM JET
Top Universities for Hotel Management Courses
There are numerous specialized schools and institutes around the world providing a plethora of programmes to equip students with the knowledge and skillset required to build a thriving career in Hotel Management. Here are the top Hotel Management colleges and universities ranked by the QS World University Rankings 2020 for Hospitality & Leisure Management:
|University||Country||QS Rankings 2020 for Top Hospitality & Leisure Management|
|EHL – Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne||Switzerland||#1|
|University of Nevada||USA||#2|
|Les Roches Global Hospitality Education||Switzerland||#3|
|Glion Institute of Higher Education||Switzerland||#4|
|The Hong Kong Polytechnic University||Hong Kong||#5|
|Hotel School, The Hague||Netherlands||#6|
|Hotel Management School||Switzerland||#7|
|University of Surrey||UK||#8|
|Oxford Brookes University||UK||#9|
|International Management Institute Switzerland||Switzerland||#12|
|Les Roches Marbella||Spain||#13|
|Hotel Institute Montreux||Switzerland||#15|
|César Ritz Colleges||Switzerland||#16|
|IHTTI School of Hotel Management||Switzerland||#17|
|Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School (BMIHMS)||Australia||#18|
|University College of Hospitality Management, Sant Pol de Mar, Barcelona||Spain||#19|
Hotel Management Colleges in India
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition, New Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Nutrition, Mumbai
- Banarasidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management and Nutrition, Chandigarh
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore
- Christ University, Bangalore
- DV Patil University, Navi Mumbai
Syllabus and Subjects for Hotel Management Courses
|Food & Beverage Production||It deals with preparation of food, the method in which raw materials are cooked, combined and transformed to make a dish|
|Food & Beverage Service||It is the process of preparing, presenting and serving food to customers.|
|Hotel Financial Accounting||It involves summarizing, reporting, and analysing the hotel’s financial position|
|Hygiene & Food Safety||They prevent the contamination of food with bacteria, viruses or parasites passed on by staff|
|Management Principles & Practices||It is a discipline that consists planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling.|
|Hotel Economics & Statistics||It focuses on applying economic principles to analyze the hospitality industry.|
|Hospitality Law||It is a legal and social practice related to the treatment of a person’s guests|
|Travel & Tourism Management||It involves the management of multitude of activities such as studying tour destination, planning the tour, making travel arrangements and providing accommodation.|
|Organizational Behaviour||It is the study and application of knowledge about human behaviour in organisations|
|Entrepreneurship Development||It takes into account the economic development of tourist areas|
|Accommodations Management||Accommodation manager mainly deals with human resources, budget and inventory.|
|Marketing of Hospitality Services||They develop marketing strategies to promote their products or services, resulting in an increase in revenue.|
Completing a degree or diploma in Hotel Management, students can explore a wide range of career opportunities in varied sectors like airlines, hotels, destination marketing and event management. Let’s first take a look at the top employment areas you must consider after completing any of the aforementioned Hotel Management courses:
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management and Club Management
- Airline Catering Cabin Services and (flight kitchen)
- Hotel and Tourism Associations (for eg: state tourism development corporations)
- Procurement Hospitality Services in various multinational companies (MNCs)
- Kitchen Management (in hotels or running canteens in company guest houses, colleges, schools, and in factories, etc.)
- Catering departments of railways, armed forces, shipping companies, etc.
- Hotel and catering institutes (as a management trainee/ marketing or sales executive)
Here is a list of career prospects available in Hotel Management:
- Front Office Executive
- Hotel Manager
- Event Manager
- Cabin Crew
- HouseKeeping Manager
- Catering Services Executive
- Restaurant Manager
- Customer Service Executive
- Flight Attendant
- Marketing and Sales Officer
To know more about these careers, check out Hotel Management Jobs!
Thus, we hope that this blog has familiarized you with the salient features of Hotel Management courses and how you can build a career in this field. Apprehensive about which course to choose to study Hotel Management? Sign up for an e-meeting with our Leverage Edu experts and we will guide you in selecting the best course and university that aligns with your interests and career aspirations!