Imagine studying in a country with out-of-the-world historical sites, multicultural ambiance, affordable tuition fees, and the best pizza in the world! With its splendid art culture and amazing gastronomy, Italy is also one of the top destinations in Europe for higher studies owing to its globally renowned academic institutions. Be it an MBA, a degree in arts, music, or history, there are scores of premier universities spread across the country. One such leading university situated in the economic heart of Italy is Bocconi University. Established in the year 1902, the university has its ideals rooted in bringing liberalism, pluralism, and social and economic development. So, if you wish to study in Italy, then let’s walk you through the key features of Bocconi University, from its prospective courses, admission process to the eligibility criteria, and acceptance rate that you must know before sending your application.
This Blog Includes:
- About Bocconi University
- Bocconi University: Global Rankings
- Bocconi Univerity Programs
- Acceptance Rate of Bocconi University
- Eligibility Criteria For Admissions At Bocconi University
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Placement Prospects at Bocconi University
- Alumni Network
- Exchange Programs
- FAQs About Bocconi University
About Bocconi University
Bocconi University offers a plethora of undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate courses in Finance, Economics, Management, Law, Public Administration, and Political Science. SDA Bocconi, the Business school of the university provides MBA and executive MBA programs in an array of specialisations. Furthermore, the research programs carried out in the university under some well-known faculty members specializing in different fields are well funded by national and international institutions.
- For an undergraduate degree in business, Bocconi University has designed a commendable course, the World Bachelor in Business, in collaboration with Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the University of Southern California. This has led to an opportunity for students to study on three continents in 4 years and obtain three diplomas from the universities.
- The Masters of Science in Management and International Management is probably one of the most sought-after courses of the university, through which a few students get to participate in the CEMS Master of Management, which was co-founded by Bocconi University.
- The research projects undertaken in Bocconi University in the areas of Economics, Business, Finance, and Political Sciences, are mainly funded by the university itself (1.5 million Euros), the European Union (1.4 million Euros), and other external sources(roughly around 11 million Euros).
- Clearly, due to the extremely well-funded research projects, led by top-notch faculty, Bocconi University is undoubtedly the best option for Business, Law and Political Science students to pursue research in their areas of interest and expertise.
- Also, Bocconi University boasts of 20 permanent research centres, with 200 international and 300-400 national publications yearly. Clearly a smart choice for all the finance and business wizards out there!
Bocconi University: Global Rankings
|QS Rankings 2020||Social Sciences & Management- 16th
Accounting and Finance – 17th
Economics and Econometrics – 16th
Business & Management- 7th
Masters in Management (2020): #11
|Financial Times (2019-20)||Global MBA 2020: #29
Executive Education 2019: #9
Masters in Management: #10
Masters in Finance: #8
|US News||Best Global Universities in Italy: #36
Subject Rankings (Economics & Business): #21
|Shanghai Rankings 2019:
Global Ranking of
Public Administration: #25
Business Administration: #49
Bocconi Univerity Programs
Classified into varied schools, namely, Undergraduate, Graduate, School of Law, PhD school, SDN Bocconi School of Management and Summer School, Bocconi University offers a plethora of degrees from Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in different specializations along with specialized masters as well as doctorate courses in Business, Economics, Management, Law, amongst others. Further, the summer school of Bocconi University also provides 3-week programs to BSc students and 2-week programs to high school students.
|International Economics and
|Economic and Social Sciences|
|Mathematical and Computing
Sciences for Artificial Intelligence
|World Bachelor in Business
|Economics, Management & Computer Science||Economics and Management
for Arts, Culture and Communication
|International Politics and Government||International Economics and Management|
|Cyber Risk Strategy and Governance;
Sciences Po-Bocconi Double Degree;
Economics and Management of Innovation and Technology;
LSE-Bocconi Double Degree;
CEMS MIM Program;
China MIM Program;
Economics and Management
of Innovation and Technology;
Economic and Social Sciences
|Politics and Policy Analysis;
ESSEC-Bocconi Double Degree;
Economics and Management in Arts,
Culture, Media and Entertainment;
Accounting, Financial Management
Data Science and Business Analytics;
Economics and Management of Government and International Organizations;
Law and Business Administration;
Integrated MA in Law (Taught in Italian)
|MAAC: Accounting, Auditing &
Control (in Italian)
|MaGER: Green Management, Energy
and Corporate Social Responsibility (in English)
|MasterOP: Organization and
Human Resources (in Italian)
|MEMIT: Management of Transport,
Logistics and Infrastructure (in Italian)
|MET: Economics of Tourism
|MAFINRISK: Quantitative Finance
and Risk Management (in English)
|MiMeC: Marketing and Communication
|LLM-ITLLLM in Law of Internet Technology (in English)|
|LLM in European Business and Social Law (in English)||MDT: Corporate Tax Law (in Italian)|
|PhD in Statistics||PhD in Public Policy and Administration|
|PhD in Legal Studies||PhD in Economics and Finance|
|PhD in Business Administration and
Management +Policies for
|PhD in Business Administration
|PhD in Statistics and Computer Science||–|
Summer Programs at Bocconi University
Offered to high school students to opt for a combination of subjects during their third-last or second-last year, the summer courses by Bocconi focus on a 2-week curriculum through which one can explore different areas of interest. In each summer program, there are a total of 4 morning sessions and two sessions held in afternoons focusing on a specific project.
For High School Students
|EU for Sustainable Globalization;
Luxury and Fashion;
Numbers and Cryptography
For International Students
On the other hand, the university also avails a plethora of summer programs for international students wanting to study in its downtown campus in Italy for three weeks. There are mainly 7 courses provided with 6 credit points in each program. Take a look at the varied specialisations you can choose from:
|Fashion and Design
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Equity and Venture Capital Financing
International Business Strategy
Acceptance Rate of Bocconi University
The acceptance rate of the university is quite high. It is pretty hard to get in, especially in courses related to Finance. Bocconi University ranks in the top 10 universities worldwide, for MSc in Finance, so it’s definitely a lot of hard work to be able to land admission. Published research papers, Internships related to the stream you aim for, and Letters of Recommendation by faculty or employers to support the directionality of your application, are what will help you get into this top university in Italy. Work experience is not much of the criteria in Bocconi University, but it always gives you an edge over your competitors. Also, for SDA Bocconi School of Management, the acceptance rate is estimated at around 38% by Forbes.
Eligibility Criteria For Admissions At Bocconi University
For students applying for undergraduate courses at Bocconi University, the entry requirements are as follows:
- Secondary school marksheets
- 1300+ in the SAT would be a decent score. Try scoring above 1400. ACT exam scores are also considered. If a candidate does not have the scores for any of these two, you need to appear for the Bocconi Selection Test which conducted in venues around Milan.
- Letters of Recommendation (LORs) by school faculty members, preferably by a teacher related to the stream you are applying for a degree in.
- Extracurricular achievements will give you an edge over other applicants. Sports, music, or art, they definitely give you an edge over your competitors.
- A minimum score of 100+ in TOEFL, and 7.0+ in IELTS.
Or Cambridge Assessment Tests such as CPE, CAE, FCE, etc.
In order to apply for a graduate program at Bocconi University, one must fulfil the following general prerequisites:
- GMAT/GRE Score OR you can appear for the Bocconi Selection Test if you don’t have any of these two.
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- TOEFL/IELTS Scorecards (100+ and 7.0+ respectively)
OR Cambridge Assessment Tests such as CPE, CAE, FCE, etc.
- 2+ LORs
- Work experience always preferred: Since Bocconi University consistently ranks in the top 10 universities in the world in finance, the number of students with work experience are increasing every year.
Bocconi University offers need-based scholarships to international students, up to 100% fee waiver. Including Bocconi ISU Scholarships, there are two main types of financial aid awards that one can apply for both Bachelors of Science and Master of Science programs, i.e. Merit Awards and International Awards.
Comprising of a full tuition waiver providing around € 12,000 annually (undergraduate) and € 13,000 annually (Graduate), it also offers a chance for some selected students to get free accommodation in the residence halls of the university.
Provides a 50% reduction in tuition fees for bachelor’s and master’s programs.
These scholarship awards can be applied for renewal after 2 years for undergraduate courses or in the final year of graduate program, given the student fulfils the necessary academic progress specified under the award.
Placement Prospects at Bocconi University
Top companies from around the world hire from Bocconi University, mostly in the finance sector, followed by consulting, investment banking, venture capital, and technology. Corporate giants, such as Accenture and Goldman Sachs have partnered with the institution for yearly placement sessions. Some of the top recruiters are :
- Goldman Sachs
- Deutsche Bank
- JP Morgan
- Citi Foundation
And many other leading banks, investment groups, and consulting firms.
Bocconi University has been the most premier institution of Italy since decades, and a lot of their alumni have taken up leadership roles in Energy firms, Consulting firms, Investment groups, and politics. Here are some of the famous alumni whose alma mater was Bocconi University:
- Luca de Meo – President of SEAT
- Mario Monti – Former Italian Prime Minister
- Vittorio Colao – CEO of Vodafone group
- Federico Marchetti – CEO and Founder of YOOX group
- Andrea Enria – Chair, European Banking Authority
Bocconi University, besides having top-class faculty and leading businessmen, politicians and philanthropists as alumni, provides terrific exchange program opportunities to its students. Students can go for exchange semesters, internships, and research projects all over the world. With its affiliations to 283 universities across the globe and 100+ in Europe itself, 68 partner universities in North America, 22 in South America and 71 partners in Asia, Africa and Oceania combined. Selection of students depends on their academic records, extracurricular involvement, and overall work experience including internships. Many scholarships are awarded to the top performers, and going abroad for a whole semester doesn’t end up being costly.
FAQs About Bocconi University
What is the acceptance rate at Bocconi University?
Bocconi University is one of the leading universities in Italy. The acceptance rate at Bocconi University is marginally high as compared to other universities. However, the most desired courses like Finance and Management are hard to get. The university ranks among the top 10 in the world’s leading universities which makes it tough for students to secure a seat.
Is there an aptitude test at Bocconi University?
For students who don’t submit GMAT or GRE scores are required to qualify the aptitude test of the university which is known as the Bocconi Selection Test. It is an aptitude test which comprises of different areas created to measure your critical thinking, quantitative assessments, numerical problem solving, and reasoning aspects. The test is a multiple-choice based exam comprising of 100 marks.
Is IELTS compulsory for getting admission in Bocconi University?
To pursue higher education in countries outside India, many universities from abroad have made it mandatory to qualify the language proficiency test IELTS or TOEFL. For getting admission into Bocconi University, candidates are required to have proficiency in English, therefore qualifying IELTS with 7+ band is compulsory to get admission in this university. If you have completed your graduation degree in English, there is no need to qualify for another language certification. On the other hand, you can also apply with Cambridge tests such as CPA, CAE, etc.
What are the required documents for admission at Bocconi University?
- Candidates are required to submit all the transcripts from school and college which should include their marks, type of degree, mode of instruction, date of admission and end date of graduation.
- An updated CV.
- Proficiency in English test certificates.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Letters of Recommendation
Does Bocconi University offer scholarships to international students?
Bocconi has a special provision of scholarships for international students. The university offers merit awards and international awards to students pursuing graduation and postgraduation. The merit awards include full coverage of tuition fees for a year while international awards encompass 50% fee waiver for both bachelor’s and master’s courses.
Already wondering how you can make it to Bocconi University? Great! We have it covered. Visit Leverage Edu, and get in touch with us today, for end-to-end mentoring and admission guidance to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted for your dream course here!