In 1895, the members of the Fabian society- George Bernard Shaw, Sidney Webb, Beatrice Webb, and Graham Wallas founded the London School of Economics and Political Science over a breakfast table conversation with the intention of bettering society as well as understanding the causes behind the way society functions.
The four founders took on this initiative to promote the Fabian ideas of an equal and fair society, they hoped that by studying the factors responsible for poverty and analyzing the reasons for inequalities they could promote the creation of a society that values equality of wealth, opportunities, and power.
Over the years, the university has gained global recognition along with consistent rankings, a university of such good reputation, its influence has also impacted the politics, law, and business of society, with many of its alumni being members of the London Parliament as MP’s and lawmakers and many authors of significance walking through its hallways.
The London School of Economics and Political Science or LSE
LSE credits itself for recognizing, celebrating and promoting a diverse staff and student community which is home to students from over 140 countries and a dynamic staff that hails from around 100 countries from across the globe.
A diverse and dynamic community like one at London School of Economics and Political Science means that you will be surrounded by people who value different perspectives and will encourage you to engage in important discussions surrounding global issues and concerns that impact the society at large and will give you an international outlook.
No doubt, it is ‘the’ university to study in if you are planning to study in UK. You don’t want to miss out on the opportunities of studying in the classrooms inhabited by great authors, lawmakers, and Nobel Laureates.
We’ve curated all the information necessary for your admission to this dream school.
Why Study at the LSE?
While the University’s reputation is well known and you don’t really need us to provide you with an insight, it is important that you’re choosing the university for the right reasons and not merely based on its repute.
London School of Economics and Political Science has existed for over a century in the heart of London but the university has kept pace with the times and boasts of being “stimulating, cosmopolitan and very much part of the ‘real world” along with being a university with academic excellence. It provides a culturally and socially exquisite environment for its student. The university has also been globally recognized for the advancements it has made in the field of research, with its departments leading the research rankings at the national level. Approximately 97% of their academicians are actively involved in research.
The university’s dynamic and modern learning experience combined with modern infrastructure and well-equipped campus makes it a good choice for pursuing an education.
- In the Guardian table for 2020, London School of Economics and Political Science was ranked 19th at the national level.
- For the Sunday Times University guide that provides cumulative ranks for a decade (1998-2007) LSE fared at an overall 3rd position.
- It was ranked 37 globally by the QS World University rankings for the year 2016-17.
- QS World University Rankings by Subject placed LSE at the 2nd position in the world for Management and Social Sciences in 2017.
- QS World University Rankings by Subject ranked LSE 3rd for Communication and Media Studies, Politics, Social Policy, and Administration and Geography in 2017.
Programs Offered at the London School of Economics and Political Science
London School of Economics and Political Science offers a variety of programs across disciplines at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels. They are not only an expert in a career in Economics or a career in Political Science but provide expertise in a wide field of courses. They have one of the best faculties across the globe that provide a transformative learning experience, the course taught at the university are comprehensive, challenging and rewarding. Different programs have different eligibility criteria and admission process, have a thorough look at this section for all the information related to admissions.
Undergraduate Program Admission Process
Those who wish to seek admission at The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) need to fill the UCAS form accurately first and foremost. The code number for the institute is L72 LSE. For international students who are applying to the university need to fill their details in correspondence to the information in their passports.
You will be assessed on the basis of your SOP and while there is an option to apply for more than one program and up to five programs, the university does not encourage this. The likelihood of admission does not increase with the increase in applied programs. London School of Economics and Political Science also encourages you to make your SOP as relevant to the field you’re applying for. Your SOP must define you as a person as well as your motivations, potential, and intention, in short, it must be a reflection of your candidacy.
You will also have to attach your educational qualifications as well as the score of GCSE’s or the international equivalent of that test. If you have taken a gap year, you must mention in your SOP how you spent that time whether it is travel, pursuing a certificate course, gaining job experience or voluntary work.
You will have to get a letter of reference from your teacher stating your academic qualifications and potential; as an international student they will also have to mention about your capabilities of pursuing an education abroad as well as comment on your fluency in English.
As an international student from a country which does not belong to the English majority speaking nation, you will also have to pass an exam for English fluency i.e. TOEFL/ IELTS to apply for London School of Economics and Political Science.
London School of Economics and Political Science offers approximately 42 courses across disciplines, here is a list of few of the courses offered at the undergraduate level:
- B.A. Anthropology and Law
- B.A. Geography
- B.A. History
- B.A. Social Anthropology
- BSc Accounting and Finance
- BSc Actuarial Sciences
- BSc Criminology
- BSc Economics
- BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
- BSc Environment and Development
- BSc Environmental Policy with economics
- BSc Finance
- BSc Financial mathematics and statistics
- BSc International Relations
- BSc International Social and Public Policy with Politics
- BSc Language, Culture and Society
- BSc Management
- BSc Mathematics and Economics
- BSc Mathematics, Statistics and Business
- BSc Philosophy, Logic and Scientific method
- BSc Politics
- BSc Psychological and Behavioral Science
- BSc Sociology
- LLB Bachelors of Law
The University offers over 50 graduate programs along with a variety of double degree and diploma programs, they also offer a wide range of research programs. For those international students that wish to pursue their higher education at the London School of Economics and Political Science, the admission process requires you to submit the following documents along with your accurately filled application form and application assessment fee-
- Two academic references
- Statement of academic purpose
- GRE or GMAT test scores
- Sample of written work
- You may also be asked to provide a Research proposal if you’re applying for a doctoral degree.
Once you have submitted your documents and your application form, your documents will be verified and your application will be passed along to selectors at London School of Economics and Political Science who will review your application and judge whether or not to grant you admittance.
GRADUATE AND OTHER PROGRAMS
London School of Economics and Political Science offers the following programs at the Graduate level:
- MSc Accounting and Finance
- MSc Anthropology and Development
- MSc Applicable Mathematics
- MSc Applied Social Data Science
- MSc Behavioral Science
- MSc Comparative Politics
- MSc Conflict Studies
- MSc Criminal Justice Policy
- MSc Data Science
- MSc Development Studies
- MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
- MSc Empires, Colonialism and Globalization
- MSc Environment and Development C
- MSc Finance (full-time)
- MSc Financial Mathematics
- MSc Gender
- MSc Gender, Media and Culture
- MSc Global Politics
- MSc Human Resources and Organizations (International Employment Relations and Human Resource Management
- MSc Human Rights and Politics
- MSc International Relations
- Master of Laws (LLM)
- MSc Management
- MSc Marketing
- MSc Media and Communications
- MSc Organizational and Social Psychology
- MSc Philosophy of Science
- MSc Political Theory
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- MSc Quantitative Economic History
- MSc Risk and Finance
- MSc Social Anthropology
- L3U2 MSc Sociology Closed Closed
- MSc Statistics Closed Closed
- MSc Statistics (Research)
- MSc Urbanization and Development
London School of Economics and Political Science also offers the following courses at research or doctoral level:
- MPhil/ PhD Accounting
- MPhil/ PhD Data, Networks and Society
- MPhil/ PhD Environmental Economics
- MPhil/ PhD International Relations
- MPhil/ PhD Mathematics
- MPhil/ PhD Media and Communications
- MPhil/ PhD Philosophy
- MPhil/ PhD Psychological and Behavioral Science
- MPhil/ PhD Regional and Urban Planning
- MRes/ PhD International Development
- MRes/ PhD Management (Employment Relations and Human Resources)
- MRes/ PhD Political Science
- MRes/ PhD Quantitative Economic History
Notable Alumni of the LSE
- Amartya Sen- A Nobel Laureate. Indian economist and former professor at LSE
- Tony Fernandes- The CEO of AirAsia airlines
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar- The father and architect of the Indian constitution and an eminent economist
- Kim Campbell- Former Canadian Prime Minister
- Clement Attlee- Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
Top Recruiters of the LSE
- JP Morgan
- Duff and Phelps
- Morgan Stanley
- Barclays Plc
- Credit Suisse
The Path Ahead
London School of Economics and Political Science or LSE offers one of the best programs in the world along with a highly qualified faculty that gives the students one of the best learning experiences and opens doors of possibilities. Both the campus and the city will give you immense opportunities to network and multiply your strengths and hone your skills.
The process of admission can be taxing and finding your way into a university of such esteem which is highly selective can seem like a difficult process, with the help of our counselors and mentors at Leverage Edu, you can build a portfolio and application that will lead you into the halls inhabited by Nobel prize winners, acclaimed authors, and politicians of the British Parliament.