There are many people who find it difficult to study overseas, owing to various factors such as work pressure, family restrictions or any other personal commitments. Ever wondered how exciting it would be to study in one of the top universities abroad, without actually going abroad? Distance education is one such option catering to your study abroad aspirations. This blog will cover various Master of Science or MSc Distance Education programs available for science graduates looking for a foreign degree to add value to their career.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Choose Distance Education?
- Top Msc Distance Education Courses
- MSc Zoology Distance Education
- MSc Physics Distance Education
- MSc Chemistry Distance Education
- MSc Botany Distance Education
- Eligibility Criteria
- MSc Distance Education Admission Process
- Top 10 Universities for MSc Distance Education Abroad
- Top 10 Universities in India for MSc Distance Education
- Other prominent universities for MSc Distance Education
- Books for MSc Distance Education
Why Choose Distance Education?
Distance education is a contemporary way of procuring academic education whilst sitting and studying in the comfort of your home without being physically present at the university or college.
Here are some of the prominent reasons why studying MSc Distance Education can be a great option for Indian students:
- You can work in your home country while pursuing a master’s degree.
- There is no fixed time table to be followed and you can study at your own pace.
- Earn a master’s degree at a comparatively lower price, which means, no visa charges, no travelling and accommodation fees.
- Study materials are either sent via post or available online, to help you with study pattern, curriculum and syllabus.
- Many online universities have the option, wherein professors deliver the majority of programs fully online.
Top Msc Distance Education Courses
Here are some of the most popular MSc courses available for distance learning students across the world:
|MSc in Data Analytics and IT Security Management||MSc Bioinformatics||MSc Biotechnology|
|MSc in Engineering Management||MSc Environmental Science||MSc Biochemistry|
|MSc Geography||MSc Statistics||MSc Information Technology|
|MSc Zoology||MSc Computer Science||MSc Physics|
|MSc Biology||MSc Geophysics||MSc Mathematics|
|MSc Chemistry||MSc Interior Designing||MSc Botany|
|MSc in Geographic Information System (GIS)||MSc Cybersecurity||MSc Astrophysics|
Let’s explore some of these popular courses in further detail:
MSc in Geographic Information System (GIS)
Affecting almost every aspect of life, geospatial technologies help in tracking unfamiliar events in the neighbourhood or patterns of diseases in a population. An MSc in Geographic Information System (GIS) is for students who thrive for a career in areas such as national defence, law enforcement, health care, urban planning and environmental protection. This is an online distance learning program lasting for a duration of not more than 24 to 36 months, depending on the university.
Also Read: MSc in Geology
MSc in Engineering Management
This 2-year online course focuses on teaching students about the management principles and techniques which are required to manage an entire engineering organization. Moreover, students are required to learn new strategies such as PRINCE2, Agile, ITIL, to name a few, so as to develop new procedures of production. Graduates are equipped with the skills to improve the efficiencies and competitiveness and eliminate wastage of resources.
MSc in Data Analytics and IT Security Management
Keeping the intense growth of cybercrimes in the world, there is a need for professionals who can work to protect the usage of data in businesses. This MSc Distance Education program spans between 18 to 60 months and combines the aspects of Data Analytics and IT Security Management to give students the advanced skills of data handling and system security.
MSc Zoology Distance Education
The MSc in zoology course covers in-depth study about types of animal forms, functions, development, and evolution. To apply for MSc in zoology distance education, students must complete their bachelor degree in the science stream with medical sciences/ biosciences/ life sciences subjects. The duration for MSc in zoology distance education is 2 years and the fees range from INR 10000 – INR 26000 annually. The average tuition fee for the whole course ranges from 21,000 thousand INR to 1.5 Lakhs INR.
MSc Physics Distance Education
The MSc in Physics course is a branch of science that covers the study of matter and its motion through space and time and is connected with concepts of energy and force. The eligibility criteria for MSc Physics distance education is Bachelor’s in science with maths, physics and chemistry as the compulsory subjects and at least 50% marks. The course is divided into 4 semesters that span over 2 years. The average tuition fee for MSc Physics distance education is INR 20,000 annually.
MSc Chemistry Distance Education
The MSc in Chemistry course is a branch of science that involves the study of compounds that are composed of atoms, elements, and molecules. Chemistry also covers combinations of atoms: their structure, composition, properties, behaviour, and the changes they undergo during a reaction with other compounds. To apply for a course in MSc Chemistry distance education, students must have completed their bachelor’s (BSc) degree in science from a recognized University with a minimum of 50% marks. The course is divided into 4 semesters and has an average annual fee of INR 22,000.
MSc Botany Distance Education
The MSc in Botany course involves the study of flora, its evolution, and other botany-related concepts, Botany is a branch of biology that also involves research about plants, trees, and food production, fruits, and flowers. The eligibility for MSc botany distance education is BSc Botany with an average of 50% marks. The average fee for a 2-year course is INR 10000 – 25000 annually.
Read about the MSc in Botany Syllabus
MSc in Cybersecurity
This distance education program in Cyber Security prepares students with the essential skills to manage, operate and protect computer systems, networks, information, communications and infrastructures of both the public and the private sector. Students will be taught effective ways to critically analyse and apply their knowledge related to international and domestic legal systems, ethics, public and private policies while protecting fraud, terrorism, theft, etc. in a duration of 18-24 months.
MSc in Bioinformatics
MSc Bioinformatics will give students an understanding of the complex biological information and analysis of sequence data through the usage of sophisticated bioinformatics software. Combining theoretical and practical aspects of bioinformatics, the degree program is available online and spans between 1 to 5 years.
Must Read: Scope of Bioinformatics
For MSc Distance Education courses, the first and foremost criteria you need to fulfil is to have a BSc degree in a related field. Moreover, some universities in India might conduct their own entrance exams as well. To those applying for a distance education course abroad, the course criteria largely vary as per the program and university. If you are opting for a part-time course, you might be asked to provide language proficiency scores like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. Further, GRE scores are also essentially required by most of the universities abroad for MSc courses though the requirements might vary as per the course and university. Students are advised to check the university website to know about the actual course requirements.
MSc Distance Education Admission Process
If you are interested in pursuing MSc Distance Education. Here is a step-wise procedure to apply in different institutions:
- Choose the university and course you want to pursue, visit the official website of that specific institution.
- Check the eligibility criteria, fee structure, and documents required at the time of application.
- Click on the apply now tab or go to admission. Click on it and you will be redirected to the application form page.
- Enter your personal details and academic qualifications.
- Upload the mandatory documents, some universities may require an attested photocopy of all the documents.
- Fill in the application fee and course fee.
- The application process is complete after the submission of fees.
- Applicants will receive an email notification or SMS on a registered mobile number with the study portal login details.
- Students can access the recorded lectures and other study materials with the help of a portal.
- Students will receive books either through post or can collect from the admission office of the university.
Top 10 Universities for MSc Distance Education Abroad
Given below are some of the most renowned universities offering MSc Distance Education courses.
- University of Canberra, Australia
- University of Sussex, UK
- Boston University, USA
- University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Parsons School of Design, USA
- Washington State University, USA
- University of Dundee, UK
- University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- Athabasca University, Canada
- The University of British Columbia, Canada
Top 10 Universities in India for MSc Distance Education
- Kuvempu University DDE
- Netaji Subash Open University
- University of Mumbai
- Graphic Era University
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Madurai University
- Delhi University
- Sikkim University
- Madras University
- Punjab Technical University
Other prominent universities for MSc Distance Education
Apart from these, here are the major universities and colleges in India for MSc Distance Education:
- Jain University
- MATS University
- VMOU Kota
- Lovely Professional University
- Amity University Gwalior
- Jaipur National University
- Acharya Nagarjuna University
- SPMVV Tirupati
- Assam Don Bosco University
- Gauhati University
- Dibrugarh University
- Lalit Narayan Mithila University
- Nalanda Open University
- PT Sundarlal Sharma Open University
- CV Raman University
- Maharishi Dayanand University
- Guru Jambeshwar University of Science and Technology
- Himachal Pradesh University
- Kashmir University
- Uttarakhand Open University
Books for MSc Distance Education
Applicants will get study material, notes from the respective universities, referring to some additional reference books to help in a better understanding of the topic. Here is the list of best books for MSc Distance Education that are easily available in local markets and online:
|Logic and Prolog Programming by Saroj Kaushik||Buy Here|
|Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles by William Stallings||Buy Here|
|MSc Chemistry by R.S. Arora||Buy Here|
|Introduction to Mathematical Statistics by Robert V Hogg||Buy Here|
|Applied Immunology by Benjamin Abraham Thomas||Buy Here|
Yes, the MSc distance education is a valid degree and requires the same amount of effort as compared to any regular MSc course.
Most of the MSc distance education courses are online and even the exams are conducted online by some universities.
Yes, IGNOU offers MSc distance education
Yes, you can pursue PhD after MSc distance education
You can opt for a dual degree but not pursue both degrees together
Yes, MSc distance education degree is valid in USA as well.
Want to study abroad, without actually moving abroad? As long as you have the discipline and self-motivation to succeed, it’s possible to pursue MSc Distance Education course. You can reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu, who can guide you at every step and help you enrol in your dream university.