In this dynamic world, a single advantage will tip the balance to your benefit. Organizations around the world are also heavily investing in specialised courses aimed at improving technical and academic skills. These initiatives are a welcome change because they enable students and working employees to actively analyze business paradigm and to expand their job opportunities. These courses are relevant and help you keep up with the latest technology and regulations of the industry. Read this blog to know the top Skill Development courses in India as well as free courses online that you must explore!
Must Read: Free Online Courses with Certificates
This Blog Includes:
- What is Skill Development?
- Types & Eligibility Criteria of Skill Development Courses
- Skill Development Courses Online
- Offline Skill Development Courses Certificates
- Top Skill Development Courses in India
- Job Options after Skills Development Courses
- Top Institutes for Skill Development Courses in India
- Institutes for Skill Development Courses Abroad
- SKill Development Course: Scope
What is Skill Development?
Our whole life is simply a long period of developing our skills. We learn to walk. We learn to speak. We learn how to take care of ourselves. All of this is achieved through the same general method of repeating something over and over before it becomes a subconscious act. We follow the same trend as we develop skills later in life. The only distinction is that we are much more conscious and interested in our engagement in studying.
Skill Development can be basically defined as the process of:
- Identifying a person’s skills and knowledge gaps
- To develop and strengthen these skills. It’s critical because your skills decide your ability to effectively implement your plans.
Skill Development can be broadly classified into two categories. They are:
- Hard skills: Skills relevant to some specific task; typically readily quantifiable. They aim to be knowledge-based, such as subject proficiency, training, and specialized qualifications. Fluency in a language, XYZ tech skills, graphic design and scripting are all hard skills.
- Soft skills: Personality skills that tend to be transferable, such as collaboration, management, problem-solving, stress management, decision-making, flexibility, ability to cope with challenges, and communication.
Types & Eligibility Criteria of Skill Development Courses
- B.Voc., B.Design, B.Sc in banking, and related streams are offered
- The duration of the bachelor courses is 3 years and the basic eligibility is passed on 12th from a recognized board of education
- Topics taught normally vary depending upon the specialization chosen by the candidates
- M.Voc., MPA, and MFA in banking and related streams are offered after UG
- Pursued by those students who look for additional specialization
- The duration of the master courses is 2 years and the basic eligibility is the possession of a UG degree from a recognized university
- Ph.D. in banking and Finance, Ph.D. in economics are offered
- Ph.D. courses are pursued by candidates in the teaching sector
- The duration of the doctorate courses is 3 years and the basic eligibility is the possession of a PG degree from recognized courses
Diploma & PG Diploma
- Diploma in fashion and textile design, post-graduate program in welding, etc are offered
- The duration is 3 months to 1 year
- Generally offered by training and certification by some institution and also by some colleges in case of offline certification
- Many online certification programs are present
- Efficient HVAC systems, preparing to network in English, certificate course in GIS and remote sensing, etc.
Skill Development Courses Online
In order to encourage the initiative of Skill India and Made in India, the National Skill Development Corporation offers a wide range of online skill development courses in the country. You can explore many free online courses at MOOCs, i.e. Massive Open Online Course. Here are the top learning platforms offering free Skill Development Courses Online:
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
- eSkill India by NSDC
Here are the most popular skill development courses online:
- The Science of Well-Being by Yale University on Coursera
- Machine Learning by Stanford University on Coursera
- Go Digital by NSDC
- Employability and Digital Literacy by NSDC
- Pradhan Mantri Aarogya Mitra by eSkill India
- Introduction to Psychology by University of Toronto on Coursera
- Academic Writing by University of California, Irvine on Coursera
Offline Skill Development Courses Certificates
Find the offline courses for skill development certificates in correspondence to the colleges offering the course, duration and average fees of the course:
|Certificate Name||Colleges Offering||Duration||Average Fees (in INR)|
|Organic Farming||Bharathidasan University Trichy||3 months||13,425|
|Hospitality Management||University of Madras, Chennai||6 months||5,440|
|Photography||Jamia Milia University, New Delhi||1 year||–|
|Painting||Patna University||6 months||–|
|GIS and Remote Sensing||Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun||6 months||–|
|Translation||PT. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur||1 year||5,740|
Top Skill Development Courses in India
Here are the most popular skill development courses in India:
- Training Workshops Sponsored by ISRO
- AIIMS New Delhi Workshop Series
- Graphic Designing Courses
- Photo/Video Editing
- Digital Marketing
- Public Speaking
- Academic and Business Writing
- NAFARI Training Programs
- Creative Arts and Designs
- Business and Management
Training Workshops Sponsored by ISRO
The Indian space research organisation (ISRO) offers various courses which are meant to develop skills in individuals required in the field of science and engineering. The subject covered under the skill development courses offered is vast including a number of courses on astronomy, Astrophysics, mathematical modelling, RS Systems, GPS technology, digital systems and remote sensing to name a few. If you wish to enhance your technical and scientific skills then choosing one skill development course offered by ISRO might be the right choice for you.
AIIMS New Delhi Workshop Series
To help all the medical aspirants in developing some additional skills which might accelerate their career, AIIMS in collaboration with other medical institutions offer a number of skill development courses. There are a number of courses which are offered annually from here you can choose the one which matches your interests. There are workshops on Facial plastics and rhinoplasty, practical paediatric oncology, mechanical ventilation to choose from.
Graphic Designing Courses
In today’s technologically advanced world, digit art has acquired a central stage. So, if you wish to be a part of this new world of creativity then taking up a skill development course in graphic designing might help you immensely. Various Institutes and websites like Pearl Academy, Syracuse University, Udemy and Coursera offer a number of online classes on graphic designing which you can easily access on a part-time basis.
More Info: Graphic Design Courses
Nowadays, every kind of video content is gaining significance. Video editing skill is something which comes handy in every industry which gives prominence to video content. May it be our film industry or social networking sites like Instagram or YouTube require a skilled individual to edit their visual content. So, do a skill development course in photo/video editing and you will see a plethora of opportunities opening in front of you.
We all know how the internet is slowly conquering the entire world and this is felt even in the field of marketing. Now, marketing has attained a completely new form and scope with a shift towards the digital medium. So, if you wish to be a part of this digital world, doing a skill development course might be helpful. Digital marketing covers a variety of topics including search engine optimization (SEO), content automation, content marketing, etc., all of which will increase your employment prospects.
Check Out: Google Digital Marketing Courses
Business and Management
Covering all kinds of professional topics such as HR, finance, marketing, accounting, etc, is this skill development course. This course is structured to develop your management and leadership skills. It includes subjects like
- Business Studies
- Quality management
- Marketing, amongst other subjects
Must Read: Online Courses in India
If you have a knack for public speaking then doing this particular skill development course might help you hone your skills. In this course, you will learn about all the technicalities and skills required to become an efficient and confident public speaker. Furthermore, you will learn how to structure your speeches, arguments or presentations in the most informative and convincing manner.
Academic and Business Writing
Writing is a skill which can never go out of trend. So, if you invest your time in attending a skill development course in academic or Business writing, it will definitely benefit you in some way or the other. Anyone can write but to master this art, you need to polish your skills continuously and this course provides you with such a platform.
Without even saying anything you know the significance programming skills have in today’s technical world. Therefore, nowadays a number of organisations and Institutes offer various skills development courses in programming. These include Java, Python, HTML, C++, etc. and depending on your interest you can select on for yourself.
NAFARI Training Programs
The National Agricultural and Food Analysis and Research Institute (NAFARI) offers a variety of courses related to food analysis and agriculture. Food analytics, Food Microbiology, Chemical and Microbiology Analysis of Food and Water are some of the major skill development courses offered by Nafari.
Creative Arts and Designs
Develop your creative side with this skill development course. Any area of creativity from video games to painting is covered in this course. Some of the subjects covered through this course are:
- Industrial Design
- Non-industrial Design
- Theatre and Drama Studies
- Fashion Designing
Apart from these, here are some more skill development courses you must explore:
Applied and Pure Sciences
This skill development course teaches about our environment, matter, and life, everything that surrounds us. This course helps you enhance your scientific thinking abilities, analytical approach to problems and mathematical speed. This course amongst other subjects includes Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Material Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematics, etc.
Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
This skill development course covers most of the topics of rural management, land-based industries crops, animal welfare, climate change, etc. This course is designed to have subjects like Horticulture, Farm Management, Plant and Crop Sciences, Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, etc.
Social Studies and Media
In this skill development course, you are taught all about communication between humans with their respective societies. It includes topics like tv and films. You are also taught anthropology and psychology, making you more knowledgeable about human interactions. Some of the subjects include Journalism, Social Work, Politics, Social Media, Public Administration, Sociology, Linguistics, to name a few.
Job Options after Skills Development Courses
Some of the popularly known job roles are mentioned here along with their skills, average salary, and job description:
The role of an HVAC engineer is to design the refrigeration systems and HVAC systems i.e. heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and cooling systems.
Starting Salary: INR 2 lakhs to 4 lakh
Skills Required: AutoCAD, Load Calculations, Problem Solving, Communication Skills, Strong Attention
He is the person who designs and constructs networks like LAN – Local Area Networks, WAN – Wide Area Networks, Intra Networks for the transmission of data.
Starting Salary: INR 10 lakhs to 20 lakhs
Skills Required: Analytical Skills, Knowledge about IT and Networking, Designing Data Networks, Resolving network issues, Maintaining networks
They design and produce clothing, shoes, and accessories in an innovative and trendier manner.
Starting Salary: INR 3 lakhs to 6 lakhs
Skills Required: Competitive Spirit, Creativity, Artistic ability, Sense of Style, Strong sewing skills.
Top Institutes for Skill Development Courses in India
The Ministry of Skills Development and Entrepreneurship of India (MSDE) unveiled the National Skills Development Strategy (NPSD) 2009 covering many initiatives aimed at providing skills development courses to young Indians.
In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi updated these programs instead of a skill growth agenda and introduced a new initiative called ‘Skill India’ which offered many courses like SANKALP, STAR and Udaan. To know more about these Skill Development Courses, head over to Skill India website.
Institutes for Skill Development Courses Abroad
Listed below are some of the institutes that offer various skill development courses:
- Centre for Skills Development- Canada
- Skills Development Centre- USA
- International training Centre- Italy
- International Skill Development Corporation- UK
SKill Development Course: Scope
With the present industrial scenario, the recognition and advancement of skills development courses is a significant step towards better job profile prospects, and this goes hand in hand with industry requirements. Now that globalisation is on the rise, the expectations of the professional candidates are on the rise. This can be achieved in part by focusing our efforts on industry-specific skills.
The challenge for these courses is ultimately to expand the number of candidates to which these skills are taught while retaining the standard of these courses. Changing developments in every industry are calling for better-oriented candidates capable of addressing transition and helping to drive up the pace of growth in the country.
Coursera – offers free development online courses in collaboration with world-class & reputed universities.
For UG – 3 -4 years, for PG – around 2 years, for diploma and pg diploma – 3 months to 1 year.
Yes, it definitely worth pursuing a skill development course as jobs related to skills are of more demand and give numerous job opportunities.
Leverage Edu believes in broadening horizons and is here to offer help in any way possible. Our experts can guide you better, in choosing your career path and making sure you are prepared in every way. Call today for a jump start in your career.