Are you currently pursuing your BSc in Biology and ready to take it to the next level? Or simply envisioning a career in Biology! There are several courses that you can pursue after completing your BSc in Biology. However, an MSc in Biology is directly related to the field. It is a crucial step after your bachelors to expand your knowledge in the field.
This Blog Includes:
- MSc Biology Course Highlights
- Why Pursue MSc Biology?
- MSc Biology Syllabus
- MSc Biology Course Books
- MSc Biology Eligibility
- Admission Process
- Top Msc Biology Courses
- MSc Biology vs MSc Life Sciences
- Top Universities Abroad
- Top Universities in India
- MSC Biology Jobs & Salary
- Future Scope of MSc Biology?
MSc Biology Course Highlights
|Full form||Master of Science in Biology|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 40,000 to 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
Why Pursue MSc Biology?
Getting a master’s degree is always the best idea if you want to grow in any field. MSc in Biology is a perfect path if you want to further specialize in plant biology, animal biology, molecular biology, and other related fields. It allows you to explore the depths of structural changes that happen due to different factors around living organisms. Moreover, with new research in the field of biology, the demand for this course is at an all-time high. Pursuing the course will also allow you to share your knowledge through teaching and writing new research papers.
Also Read: 100 Branches of Biology from A to Z
MSc Biology Syllabus
Before planning to pursue the course, you must check out the syllabus of the course. This will help you to make an informed decision.
- Genes and genomes
- Proteins and proteomics
- Cell biology
- Biostatistics and biosystematics
- Metabolism and metabolomics
- Recombinant DNA technology
- Methods in applied sciences
- Research methodology and IPR
- Research project
- Molecular oncology and molecular medicine
- Clinical immunology
- Recent advances in biology
- Introduction to pharmacology
Also Read: Biotechnology Courses
MSc Biology Course Books
|Name of the book||Author|
|Principles of Genetics||D.Peter Snustad, Michael J Simmons and Robert H Tamarin|
|Microbiology||John Harley, Donald A Klein and Lansing Prescott|
|The Ecology||Tony Juniper|
|Bioinformatics and functional genomics||Jonathan Pevsner|
|Animal cell culture and technology||M.Butler|
MSc Biology Eligibility
The program requires students to have a certain profile.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field
- You must have at least 60% marks in the course
- You must have graduated with a PCB course in class 12th
- The first step is that you confirm the country, course, university and intake that you wish to apply for
- Take your English proficiency tests
- Submit the required transcripts including school and bachelors degree
- Take the GRE exams and get the required scores
- Upload all the necessary documents with the application fee on the university’s website portal
- After adhering to all the requirements, wait for your offer letter
Top Msc Biology Courses
There are several specializations that you can pursue in MSc Biology, outside of the general course itself.
- MSc in Quantitative Biology and Disease Modelling
- Master of Applied Genetics
- Master of Conservation Biology
- MSc in Behavioral and Cognitive Neurosciences (Research)
- MSc. in Biology, General
- MSc in Neuroscience
- MSc in Infection Biology (with specialism)
- MSc in Chemical Biology
- MSc in Animal Ecology
- MSc in Biology, Aquatic Ecology
- MSc in Conservation Biology
- MSc in Plant Science
- MSc In Molecular Biology, Medical Biology
- MSc in Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics, and Biotechnology
Explore MS/MSc Biotechnology
MSc Biology vs MSc Life Sciences
|Parameters||MSc Biology||MSc Life Sciences|
|Qualification||Master of Science in Biology||Master of Science in Life Sciences|
|Course Overview||The structure, purpose, development, genesis, evolution, and taxonomy of living things are all covered in this course.||The numerous life processes in plants, animals, and people, as well as microbes like fungus, algae, and viruses, are thoroughly studied in this course.|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 40,000 to 4,00,000||INR 15,000 to 1,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000||INR 2,80,000 to 6,00,000|
Top Universities Abroad
- Siberian Federal University, Russia
- Texas State University, USA
- California State University, USA
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Arizona State University, USA
- Technical University of Denmark
- University of Groningen
- University of Eastern Finland
- Lund University
- University of Helsinki
Top Universities in India
- JMI, New Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- IIT Kharagpur
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Christ University
- Madras Christian College
- St. Xaviers College
Also Read: MSc Botany
MSC Biology Jobs & Salary
While the field of Biology has a lot of scope in itself, an MSc can expand your horizons further. Once you have completed your course, a plethora of options open up for you.
|Plant Biochemist||INR 4904735|
|Health Educator||INR 4069715|
|Farming Consultant||INR 6140905|
|Biological Technician||INR 5565530|
Top Recruiting Companies
- Johnson and Johnson
- Airtel Bosch Ltd
- Gemini Capital
- CTS Life Sciences
- Abbott Laboratories
Future Scope of MSc Biology?
Given its popularity, the MSc in Biology programme has a bright future. The pupils are shown a variety of paths for advancing their careers:
- PhD: The first programme of option for someone who wants to stay in the same line of work in education is a PhD in biology. The course’s length ranges from three to five years, and prerequisites include an MSc in biology or a comparable field.
- After completing this course, students have the option of pursuing a Doctor of Science degree in a pertinent discipline.
To enrol in this course, candidates must possess an undergraduate degree in biology or a closely related field like the life or biological sciences.
Many prestigious colleges in India offer a two-year master’s degree in biology. This degree teaches students about the origins, evolution, transformations, and transitions that many living things go through as a result of environmental changes. For a deeper knowledge of difficult ideas, this degree programme also provides intensive fieldwork, internships, and laboratory experiments.
A person who has a Master’s degree in biology can always choose to pursue a PhD and work as a teacher or professor in that discipline. A biochemist, a biological writer, a health practitioner or coach, a medical sales representative, etc. are some other employment opportunities.
Are you interested to pursue an MSc Biology in the top colleges of the world? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help you throughout the process from your selecting the best university and course to visa. Book your FREE Counselling session now or call us at 1800 57 2000.