Computer Science is one such alluring field that never fails to fascinate young minds. If you are someone who is passionate for technology-oriented courses then MSc Computer Science can be a suitable option. With data analytics, software programming and development, network architecture, database design, and applied communication constituting the key elements of the course, it has become a popular choice amongst students who want to gain in-depth knowledge of this field. Although it may vary in some universities, the general duration of the degree course ranges between 1.5-2 years. This blog aims to enlighten you with details pertaining to the MSc in Computer Science.
This Blog Includes:
- M.Sc in Computer Science Highlights
- MSc Computer Science: Overview
- MSc Computer Science Syllabus
- Recommended Books
- MSc Computer Science: Specialization Courses
- MSc Computer Science: Eligibility Criteria
- Best Universities offering MSc Computer Science
- MSc Computer Science Scope
- MSc Computer Science: Career Outlook
M.Sc in Computer Science Highlights
|Level of Programme||Postgraduate|
|Duration of Programme||02 Years full time|
|Eligibility Criteria||Must hold a Bachelor’s degree from any recognised University in relevant subjects|
|Admission Process||Both entrance based and merit-based|
|Minimum Percentage Required||50%|
|Examination Type||Semester or Yearly wise|
|Subjects Required||Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science|
MSc Computer Science: Overview
To further deepen your knowledge and understanding of computers and their systems, MSc Computer Science can be a perfect course. It is designed to teach the higher-level techniques and methodologies that are required in the application of domains like Graphics, Computer Security and Visualization. You will also be familiarised with diverse theories and practicals of the same domain. Throughout the course, many subjects will be taught which will impart extensive knowledge and equip the students with the necessary industry-relevant skills. Here is a list of subjects which are covered under MSc Computer Science:
- Human-Computer Interaction
- High-Performance Computing
- Fundamental Data Structure
- Operating Systems and Networks
- Algorithms and Theory of Computing
- Design and Implementation of Artificial Intelligence
MSc Computer Science Syllabus
First Year Syllabus
|Data Structures||Operating Systems|
|Structured and Object-Oriented Programming||Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science|
|Computer Organisation and Architecture||C++ Programming Laboratory|
|Operating Systems Laboratory – Unix and Shell Programming||Computer Graphics|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms||Database Management System|
|Computer Networks||Visual and Dot Net (.NET) Programming|
|Database Management and Case Tools Laboratory||Dot Net (.NET) Laboratory|
Second Year Syllabus
|Java Programming||Project Work|
|Software Engineering||Data Mining|
|Web Tech/ Java Laboratory||Information Security|
|Web Technology||Soft Computing|
|Project Work||Data Compression|
- Fundamentals & Structures of Computer by Pradeep K Sinha & Priti Sinha
- Fundamentals of Database Systems by Ramez Elmasri
- Data Structures in Depth by Deepali Srivastava and Suresh Kumar Srivastava
- Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen
MSc Computer Science: Specialization Courses
Under the broad domain of computer science, there is an array of sub-fields or specializations which you can opt for. The curriculum of these programs prepares students for working in multifarious industries. Here are some popular specializations available under the MSc Computer Science course:
- Human-Computer Interaction- The field aims to impart knowledge which can be used to make technology efficient and develop products which integrate the human-computer interactions. Several computer-related techniques such as computer graphics, operating systems, and programming languages along with linguistics and cognitive psychology from the core elements of this MSc Computer Science specialization.
- Artificial Intelligence- In this, topics such as Symbolic logic, applied mathematics, social intelligence, semiotics, philosophy of mind, neurophysiology and electrical engineering are covered. Using algorithms, innovative and technologically advanced devices are designed which can perform human-like functions. Thus, pursuing a career in Artificial Intelligence, which involves the automation of complex real-world tasks has immense future prospects.
- Robotics- Another popular sub-branch of the computer science field is Robotics. The MSc Computer Science specialization involves creating devices through codings and algorithms which can be widely used in various industries and factories to perform complex tasks with high precision.
- Computer Graphics- To build a strong career in this field, the students must have the requisite knowledge in areas like mathematics, physics, light material, data storage, etc. The aim of the specialization is to equip students with the skills knowledge to club visual effects and the geometrical information to generate an image. Thorugh the application of computer graphics, the understanding of the data becomes easier for both the consumers and computing professionals.
Other than the above-mentioned sub-fields, here are some other prominent specializations of MSc Computer Science:
- Machine Learning
- Cloud Computing
- Software Theory and Data Engineering
- Cyber Security
- Data Science and Analysis
MSc Computer Science: Eligibility Criteria
Students aspiring to take admission in this course must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. Even though the admission requirements may vary from one university to another, listed below are the major prerequisites for enrolling into an MSc Computer Science program:
- The candidate must have completed the basic schooling of 10+2 from a recognized board.
- While some universities demand a graduate degree from similar fields like BSc Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, ICT, others accept the candidates from any field.
- Minimum required score in GRE is necessary
- A valid score in English language proficiency tests like TOEFL/IELTS
- Work experience in a related field can be beneficial but it is not an essential requirement to pursue the MSc Computer Science course.
- The applicants also have to submit Letters of Recommendation (LORs), Statement of Purpose (SOP), updated resume/CV, university transcripts and other relevant documents.
Best Universities offering MSc Computer Science
With the growing demand for professional courses like MSc Computer Science, leading universities across the globe are now offering this degree program. Listed below are some top-notch universities that can provide you with the right global exposure in this field:
- Harvard University
- University of Oxford
- Dalhousie University
- Staffordshire University
- University of Alberta
- The University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto
- University of Windsor
- Technical University of Munich
- University of Greenwich
- HAN University of Applied Science
Also Read: BSC Computer Science vs BCA
MSc Computer Science Scope
Numerous computer-related topics are built on the foundation of computer science. There are also international job prospects. Many work opportunities exist in both the commercial and public sectors. Data science and computer languages, as well as cybersecurity, are among the specialities available in the subject. Given the global use of technology and digitalization, the reach is limitless.
The incredible advancement of technology and the digital front has resulted in an increase in the popularity of employment and labour in the field of computer science. Because there are so many specialities in a single degree, students seeking M.Sc C.S all around the world have a wide range of job opportunities.
MSc Computer Science: Career Outlook
With the advancement and the increasing dependence on technology, the demand for trained and well-acquainted computer science professionals has seen a surge. Thus, the career prospects for an MSc Computer Science graduate are vast. Here are some of the top-notch job profiles that you can work in:
As a multimedia programmer, you would be expected to put your technical skills to design multimedia computer products, compose sounds, create graphics, do 2D or 3D modeling, animation, digital photography, and animation.
The role involves the designing of games and experimenting with the art, storyboarding and animations. The candidates can master the basic knowledge required to pursue the field through MSc Computer Science.
Cyber Security Consultant
The role involves identifying, analyzing, and understanding cyber threats so as to secure personal information and data. You will be expected to examine the security issues and look for possible ways to solve them.
Diverse range of career options available after MSc Computer Science is one of the main reasons behind the popularity of the course. Once you attain this degree, you can easily earn job profiles like Computer System Analyst, Software Consultant, Computer Engineer, Computer Network Architect, etc.
MSc Computer Science and MCA are related courses of a similar domain. If you are eager towards attaining more in-depth knowledge of field, you can go for MSc Computer Science. But if you want to go for a field related to computers including networking, HTML, Computer System, etc; MCA would be a better option.
Computer Science field is further bifurcated into many sub-fields. Some of the most popular and prominent ones are Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Biocomputing, etc
Yes, graduates and professionals of the field computer science are in high-demand due rapidly increasing scope of the field.
Thus, an MSc Computer Science degree can open the door to an array of career opportunities across industries. If you are interested in attaining overseas education in this field but are not sure about how to get started with it then the experts at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand. From completing the admission-related formalities to appearing for visa interviews, our counsellors will provide assistance at every step.