Studying abroad can be a costly affair, students are required to pay for deposits, visa fees as well as university applications. The average application fees can be anywhere between Rs 2000 to Rs10, 000 per university! But did you know that there is a way to avoid this extra cost? Many universities like Harvard University and Oxford University allow students to apply for a fee waiver to help them fund their foreign education dreams! If you are planning to study abroad in 2022 then here is how you can get an application fee waiver and reduce your cost of attendance.
This Blog Includes:
What does it Cost to Apply to College?
Universities across the globe charge application fees to their international and national students. Prestigious schools including Ivy Leagues charge higher fees than the nominal ones. The average application fee in 2020 was USD 44 (~INR 3,200). The University of California charges USD 105 (~INR 7,800) and Stanford charges USD 90 (~INR 6,600). Because of obvious reasons, you can’t just apply to one college and this would just cause the application fee to keep piling up, which would definitely create a hole in your pocket. If, for example, you apply to 5 schools that have a USD 44 application fee, you would end up paying USD 220 (~INR 16,000) just for applying to various universities!
Worried about Your Finances? Head Over to Leverage Finance to get plan your student loans and forex exchange at unbelievable prices!
What is an Application Fee Waiver?
The application fee is very financially unfeasible for a number of students. If you are someone who is unable to pay this fee, you might be eligible for an application fee waiver. This is when you would not have to pay an application fee when applying to your dream school. However, there is no specific policy that is uniform to all universities. These policies change with each institution you choose to apply to.
How do Fee Waivers work?
Although all colleges do not have provisions for application fee waivers, there are thousands that do. You could contact the admissions office of your dream college to know better about their policy in this regard. These waivers could be received upfront while filing your application or might be reduced from the first-semester fee of your studies.
How to get an Application Fee Waiver?
In order to be eligible for an application fee waiver, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You qualify for an SAT/GMAT/GRE waiver
- Your household income falls within the bracket that is defined on the university’s website
- Your family receives public assistance or welfare benefits
- Certain exceptional cases which would be different for each university
Bonus Methods to Save on Application Fees
- Apply to Universities that do not charge any Application Fee: Colleges such as the University of Hartford, Manchester University, Washington and Jefferson College do not charge any application fee when the applicant applies online.
- Visit the Campus: Certain universities waive off the application fee when the candidate visits the campus. The process of this could depend on the university, but make sure you avail if such an offer exists.
- Ask the Admissions office of your Desired University: A number of cases have happened when students were provided with an application fee waiver based on their special case. So, just call or email the admissions office and explain your case while asking for the fee waiver.
- Seek Counselling and Attend Virtual University Fairs: Our experts at Leverage Edu can help you minimise the cost of attendance starting with the application process or you can attend our University Application
[BONUS] List of Universities with NO Application fees
- University College of London
- Yale University, USA
- Harvard University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Lancaster University
- University of Cambridge
- University of Sheffield
- Imperial College London
- University of Oxford
- University of Warwick
- TU Munich in Germany
- The University of Vienna in Austria
- RWTH Aachen in Germany
- Ghent University in Belgium
- The University of Montpellier in France
- The University of Glasgow in UK
- Politecnico di Milano in Italy
How to Map Your Study Abroad Journey in 2022?
Application fee waivers can make your study abroad journey financially feasible and fun! Contact our counsellors at Leverage Edu at 1800 572 000 to know about the countries and universities within your budget!