The field of science and technology is touching new heights with the advancement of the internet and technology. Its branches are gaining enormous expansion with considerable and lucrative career opportunities available for students to enhance their skills. Engineering, Medicines, and Mathematical Studies are the basic streams that fall under the umbrella of Master of Science. Every day we witness scientific innovations from brilliant scientists who have already set a distinctive benchmark for themselves in the field. Likewise, there are ample avenues and chances available if you choose a master of science as your future prospectus.
This Blog Includes:
- Master of Science Highlights
- What is Master of Science?
- Master of Science Entrance Exams
- Required Skillset for MSc
- Master of Science Eligibility Criteria
- Master of Science Syllabus
- Master of Science: Specializations
- Top Universities for Master of Science
- Career Scope
- Master of Science Job Profiles
- Master of Science Colleges in India
- Master of Science in USA
- Master of Science in UK
- Master of Science in Canada
Master of Science Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Science (MS)|
|Duration||1.5 – 4 years|
|Admission Process||Based on Entrance Exams|
|Average Fees||INR 1-3 Lakhs|
|Job Positions||Research Scientist, Research Fellow, Project Fellow, Research Associate, Management Consultant etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3-8 LPA|
|Employment Areas||Government Research Institutes, Private Companies, Colleges|
What is Master of Science?
While talking about courses after BSc, apart from MBA and Master of Arts another popular name that rises to pursue higher education is Master of Science. It is a 2-year full-time postgraduate degree granted to students who have studied Medicines, Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Biology and related courses at the undergraduate level. In your master’s program, you will be equipped with theoretical as well as practical knowledge as per your selected specialisations. It is pertinent to mention that the Master of Science is the most-sought program that carries an impressive weight in your resume.
Master of Science Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date|
|GATE||Sep 1, 2022 to Sep 30, 2022 (Tentative)||February 4, 5, 11 and 12, 2022 (Tentative)|
|CSIR NET||June, 2022||To be Announced|
|GMAT||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|GRE||To be Announced||To be Announced|
Required Skillset for MSc
|Skillset for MSc Aspirants|
|Attention to detail and accuracy||Analytical skills|
|Scientific skills||Ability to work in a team|
|Observation skills||Research skills|
Master of Science Eligibility Criteria
In order to get a Master of Science degree from universities abroad, it is necessary for candidates to ensure that they meet the basic eligibility criteria for the same, given below is a list of conditions that are to be kept in mind:
- Candidates must have a bachelor of science degree from a recognized university with a good percentage.
- Scores of language proficiency exams like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE are to be submitted while applying to universities abroad.
- Subject proficiency exams like GRE/GMAT are also required to apply at renowned universities.
Note: Additional requirements might be there as per the university and course. Consult Leverage Edu experts for further guidance.
Master of Science Syllabus
|Telecommunication Technology and Management|
|Computer Science & Engineering|
Master of Science: Specializations
In different universities, you can choose a range of courses as per your interest. Find popular courses of master of science below;
Top Universities for Master of Science
There are various international acclaimed universities that offer a master of science degree amid skilful mentorship and interactive classrooms. Let’s have a look at the top universities in the below-given table:
|California State University||Los Angles, USA|
|Harvard University||Massachusetts, USA|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||Massachusetts, USA|
|Southern Illinois University||Carbondale, Illinois, USA|
|Stanford University||California, USA|
|University of Toronto||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|University of Ottawa||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|University of Alberta||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|University of Windsor||Windsor, Ontario, Canada|
|Western University||London, Ontario, Canada|
|The University of Adelaide||Adelaide, South Australia, Australia|
|Queensland University of Technology||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|The University of Sydney||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Charles Darwin University||Casuarina, Northern Territory, Australia|
|University of Canberra||Canberra, Australian|
|University of Bayreuth||Bayreuth, Germany|
|Technical University of Berlin||Berlin, Germany|
|Dresden University of Technology||Dresden, Germany|
|University of Salford||Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK|
After you pursue Masters in Science candidates can work in an array of organisations and fields depending upon their specializations. Given below are some common areas of employment:
- You can get a chance of working in defence, public sector, aerospace industries, the automotive sector.
- An MS degree holder can work in information and technology, computing, healthcare etc.
- You have ample opportunities to prove your mettle in the educational sector also, you can work as a lecturer, a professor etc.
- You will also be eligible for getting a PhD in the relevant field.
Master of Science Job Profiles
- Field Officer
- Researcher and accountant
- Software engineer
- Quantitative developer
- Assistant professor
- System engineer
- Chemical analyst
Master of Science Colleges in India
- Parul University
- Adamas University
- Hindu College, University of Delhi
- Miranda House, University of Delhi
- Madras Christian College
- Hansraj College, University of Delhi
- Amity University
- DIT University
- Christ University
- Indraprastha College for Women
- Gargi College, University of Delhi
- GIET University
- Ramjas College, University of Delhi
- Rayat Bahra University
|MS||Masters in Science|
|Average cost||$44,000-$58,000 or INR 32,47,750 – 42,92,000
(including all expenses)
|Average salary after MS||$71,663 – $67,891(INR 52,89,481- 50,11,068)|
|Degree type||Professional, masters degree|
- The candidates must have done their masters with a minimum average GPA of 3.5 in a related field from a reputed institution.
- Must have cleared the GRE exam with a score of 330 or above.
- International students must have cleared any of the English language proficiency exams. IELTS and TOEFL are preferred.
- Must have gained professional experience in the field during the undergraduate years. Internships in the field are counted as experience.
|Course||MS in UK|
|Average Cost||10,000 GBP to 42,000 GBP
[9.96 Lakhs to 42.86 Lakhs]
|Requirements||IELTS/TOEFL/PTE & GRE Scores|
|Popular Courses||MS in Civil Engineering; MS in Financial Technology; MS in Data Analytics|
|Top Universities for MS in UK||University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
The University of Manchester
University of Leeds
University of Warwick
Eligbility for MS in UK
- An undergraduate degree in a related field from a recognized academic institution and equivalent to UK undergraduate degree.
- Scores of English language proficiency tests like IELTS/TOEFL, etc.
- GRE scores for postgraduate degrees in the field of Science, Engineering and Technology
- Lucrative SOP and LORs
- Work experience is preferred if a candidate has completed their previous degree in a different field.
|Course||MS in Canada|
|Average Cost||CA $20,000 to CA $30,000 (INR 12,00,000- 18,00,000)|
|Requirements||IELTS/TOEFL/PTE & GRE Scores|
|Popular Courses||MS Software Engineering, MS in Nursing, MS in Computer Science, MS in Finance|
|Top Universities for MS in UK||The University of British Columbia
Mc Gill University
Simon Fraser University
University of Toronto
Eligibility for MS in Canada
- While opting for a master’s degree course, a majority of the universities in Canada require the applicant to a four year Bachelor degrees in the relevant field are typically required before enrolling in this course
- English Proficiency Tests Like IELTS, C1 Advanced, or TOEFL. If you are applying for a French-taught program, you need to submit French Proficiency Tests Like TCF, TEF, DELF, and DALF.
- Candidates interested in Management or Engineering degree also have to qualify GMAT and GRE.
Get an excellent hold on analytical and communication skills to set your feet in Master of Science. Doubting on what it will fetch you? Puzzled which university is fit your capability? Don’t worry experts at Leverage Edu can assist you in applying to the right destination! Book your 30 minutes free counselling session with us and get your troubles sorted!