A unique combination of the disciplines of Management and Technology, an MBA in Information Technology addresses topics related to software, telecommunication, system security along with more advanced themes of project management, data mining and global IT networking, amongst others. With the soaring need for individuals with a grasp of both informational technologies and management aptitude, the MBA in IT degree aims to equip students with the knowledge of both these fields. Further, it provides recent Engineering and Science graduates with an avenue to enter into the rewarding management and executive roles as well. This blog aims to elucidate the specifics of the MBA Information Technology course and the career scope it avails.
This Blog Includes:
- MBA in Information Technology
- MBA in Information Technology vs MS in Information Technology
- MBA in Information Technology: Subjects Covered
- Major Universities
- Top 10 MBA in Information Technology Colleges in India
- Online MBA in Information Technology (Distance Learning)
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Eligibility and Document Required
- Job Opportunities After MBA in Information Technology
- Salary Structure
MBA in Information Technology
MBA is one of the sought-after courses that offer specialization in various fields such as digital marketing, event management, accounting, retail management, foreign trade, construction management, etc. MBA in Information technology has also emerged as a popular choice among students in India and abroad. MBA in information technology is a unique blend of business management with IT subjects. It is an in-depth study of business organization, finance, marketing, human resource management, business application, ICT, E-Business, computing, etc.
|Course||MBA in Information Technology|
|Eligibility||Bachelor degree of 3 – 4 Year|
|Entrance Exam||GMAT, CAT, XAT, SNAP, NMAT|
|Popular Job Profiles||IT Specialist, Business Analyst|
MBA in Information Technology vs MS in Information Technology
There are two mainstream master’s degree courses that dive deeply into the IT world, namely the MBA in Information Technology and the MS in Information Technology. In general, MBA courses are inclined more towards the business aspect so as a result, the MBA in IT degree delves deeper into the IT discipline through the looking glass of Finance, Strategy, and other tools of Management. On the other hand, the MS in Information Technology is a bit more technical and concerns itself more with analytics, business information systems, visual systems, and further research. Similar degrees include the MBA in Data Analytics, MBA in Logistics, and MBA in Computer Science.
MBA in Information Technology: Subjects Covered
The course structure of the MBA in Information Technology encompasses both the technical side of IT along with an uncompromising approach towards providing management-related knowledge. Further, universities also aim to provide a diverse understanding of the varied disciplines by offering a host of electives related to IT, software and data. The following table illustrates the subjects offered both as foundation and electives under this program.
MBA in Information Technology Core Subjects
- Accounting for Management
- Financial Management
- Marketing Management
- Data Administration and Project Management
- Organisational Behavior and Analysis
- Administrative Strategy
- Information Security Management
- Strategic Use of Information Technology
- Visual Systems Development
- Business Mathematics
- Strategy Management
- IT Strategy & Management
- Data & Information Management
- IT Resource Management
- Web-Based Systems Development
- Data Visualisation Analytics
- AI in Business
- Emerging Information Technologies
- Presentation Design
- Data Mining
- Enterprise Applications of Business Intelligence
- Process and Workflow Management
- Information Systems Infrastructure
- Enterprise Resource Planning
Note: The above subjects list is only for indicative purposes and actual course-offerings may vary depending on the institution.
Owing to its increasing popularity amongst Engineering graduates as well as professionals with industry experience in the IT field, a growing number of universities have started to offer the MBA in Information Technology degree. Moreover, the course structure may vary depending on the place of study though a large majority of universities providing this degree are in the United States and Australia. Here is a list of some major universities and their offered variants of MBA in Information Technology.
|Name of University||Location||Course|
|James Cook University
||Australia||Master of IT-
Master of Business Administration
|Florida Institute of Technology
||United States||MBA in Information Technology
|University of New Brunswick||Canada||MBA IT|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||United States||MBA/MS in Information Systems|
|University of Applied Sciences
|Germany||MBA in Digital Leadership and
|University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee||United States||MBA-MS in Information
|Schiller International University||Germany||MBA in IT|
|University of North Texas||United States||MBA Information Technology|
Top 10 MBA in Information Technology Colleges in India
India has an abundance of institutions for pursuing Information technology. It is easier to find certification or diploma colleges. However, selecting the right institution for MBA in Information Technology can be challenging. We have listed down Top 10 MBA in Information Technology Colleges in India:
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Lucknow
- IIM, Bangalore
- IIM, Calcutta
- Delhi University
- ICFAI Business School
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
- GIBS Business School
- Kanpur Institute of Technology
- APG Shimla University
Online MBA in Information Technology (Distance Learning)
Want to get a degree that will benefit your professional life but at the same time don’t want to quit? Many professionals want to study further but can’t pursue regular courses due to many reasons. Distance learning is the perfect solution for this complication. You can study anytime anywhere and even pay a much less amount with the same facilities. Here are some of the institutions offering Online MBA information technology abroad:
- Schiller International University, United Kingdom
- Campbellsville University, USA
- Westford University College, UAE
- Patten University, USA
- IU International University of Applied Sciences, Germany
Before applying for any university, applicants should always check the eligibility criteria, financial structure, job, and placement opportunities. Compare the top 3 universities of your preference and then select the one. Applicants aspiring to study MBA in Information technology have to apply at the university website and appear for the entrance exam that is followed by group discussion and personal interview round. Here is the stepwise application process:
- Visit the university website you want to apply for MBA in Information Technology
- Click on the admission tab and then select the apply now that is redirected to the application form page.
- Enter your personal details and academic qualifications
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Pay the required application fee and submit the application form.
- Application fees can be paid through debit/credit card or internet banking. Some universities also accept bank challan.
After the application form is submitted the selection process begins. Every student has to go through every stage. No applicant is allowed to skip any stage of the selection process. Every university has a different selection process. Some universities admit applicants based on merit and other conduct entrance examination. Here is the selection process for MBA in Digital Marketing:
- Appear for the entrance examination, popular entrance examinations are CAT, MAT, GMAT.
- Based on the Entrance examination, a cut-off list is released, and based on it applicants are called for counseling.
- Based on the applicant’s preference and marks obtained in the entrance examination students are allotted institutions.
- Some universities take group discussion and personal interview round after the entrance examination
- Only after clearing all the rounds applicants will be eligible for admission to the respective universities.
Eligibility and Document Required
Every applicant has to fulfill the eligibility requirements of the university. Here are all the documents required at the time of application form submission and eligibility requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from a recognized university
- Detailed CV
- GMAT or GRE test scores (varies for different universities)
- Letter of Recommendation [LORs]
- Minimum 2-3 years of working experience
- Scores of English proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL
- All academic transcripts
- SOP for MBA
Job Opportunities After MBA in Information Technology
After completion of the MBA in Information Technology degree, opportunities in a multitude of fields can be explored. This ranges from data, network, IT security, communications, risk and compliance. In addition to that, more traditional avenues of MBA career options also remain open. Some of the key job profiles you can pursue after completing MBA in Information Technology are:
- Technical Services Manager
- Lead Network Engineer
- Information Security Officer
- IT Procurement Manager
- Business Transformation Director
- IT Risk and Compliance Manager
- Security Analyst
- Data Communications Analyst
- Enterprise Systems Manager
- IT Business Solutions Manager
- Data Architect
- Quality Assurance Director
MBA in Information Technology graduates can find a job in various sectors and not restricted to just one field. The demand for professionals with MBA in information technology degree is increasing in India and abroad. The average salary package can range between Rs.10 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Lakhs. Here are some popular job profiles with their salary structure:
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum (in INR)|
|Computer Information Specialist||₹225000|
|IT Specialist||₹ 104068|
After MBA in Information Technology, you can work as Technical Services Manager, Business Transformation Director, Security analyst, Data Architect, etc.
Some of the subjects are IT resource management, Data mining, marketing, accounting, finance, etc.
MBA in Information Technology, Digital Marketing, Finance has shown an increase in demand from last few years.
There is no particular subject of mathematics, basic maths is used in finance, accounting, etc
Applicant from any stream with 50% in undergraduate is eligible to apply for MBA.
Hence, we hope that this blog provided you with the key essentials of an MBA in Information Technology. However, the popularity of MBA owing to the lucrative career options must not be the only reason for you to pursue it. It is necessary to assess your skills, abilities and aspirations and match it against the objectives of the programs you are choosing from. Take the help of our AI-based tool at Leverage Edu algorithmically maps down your skills and suggests suitable course and university combinations which are the best fit for you thus helping you take an informed step towards a rewarding career.