Established in the year 1959, the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) has its scenic campus located in the beautiful city of Chennai. Regarded as an institute of national importance, IITM has been consistently ranked as the number 1 Engineering institution as well as for its overall performance in the NIRF rankings. Housing 16 departments along with high-tech research centres for almost every discipline, the institution has recently been in the limelight because of its first-ever online degree course in Data Science and programming. For all those who are willing to try their hands on these degree courses, here is a blog that will help you understand what this IIT Madras Data Science course entails.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Data Science?
- Course Overview
- 3 Levels of Online Data Science Course at IIT Madras
- IIT Madras Data Science Course: Eligibility Criteria and Entry Paths
- Fees Structure
- Assessment and Pass Criteria
- Admission Process
- Important Dates
- Some of the Top Data Science Courses in India
What is Data Science?
Data science is a field of study that works with enormous amounts of data utilizing contemporary technologies and methodologies to reveal hidden patterns, obtain valuable information, and make business judgments. Data science creates prediction models using complex machine learning techniques. Analytical data can be provided in a variety of ways and can originate from a wide range of sources. Keeping in mind the popularity of this domain, you have the option to concentrate on and become an expert in the area of data science. There are various level of data science courses like diploma, short-term certification programme, online courses, bachelors degree and masters degree. By choosing any of the level of course you can start your career in this field by becoming Data Scientist or Data Analyst.
This first-ever initiative by IIT Madras is a unique 3 level course pursuing which, you can either earn a diploma or a professional degree. The course is bifurcated into three levels namely, Foundational Level, Diploma Level and Degree Level. If you complete all the three levels of the online Data Science course, you will be awarded a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Programming and Data Science.
Unlike the other online courses, IIT Madras online Data Science course comes with unique entry and exit options. It provides candidates with the flexibility to seek education up to the level of their choice and exit the course with an appropriate certificate/ diploma/ degree by IITM.
3 Levels of Online Data Science Course at IIT Madras
Now that you are familiar with the basic concept of the online course, let us take a detailed look at each of the levels of the program.
- Online Classes
- online live classes
- Interactive classes
The course begins at a primary level called foundational level which will familiarize candidates with various concepts related to Programming, English, Mathematics, Python, Statistics, etc. Keeping in mind the technicalities of the Diploma level, students will be taught the above-mentioned subjects. The level ranges for a duration of 1-3 years and involves 8 courses (32 credit). As soon as you complete the level, you can either choose to exit while taking certification or enroll for the diploma level. However, one must clear the Qualified Process in order to register.
The diploma level of this Data Science course is bifurcated into two sub-levels namely, Diploma in Programing and Diploma in Data Science. Both diplomas can be completed within a period of 1-2 years and consist of 6 courses each which make it 12 courses (22+ 22 credits) for Diploma level. Majorly, Data Structure and Algorithms, Programming Concepts using Java, Machine Learning Foundations, etc will be the major subjects that you will be taught in this program. Furthermore, in this level too, one has the option of exit after Diploma in Programming; exit after Diploma in Data Science, or joining the Degree level.
Who can Register?
In order to enroll for the IIT Madras Data Science course at this level, the candidates must have cleared the 8 courses of Foundational Level or have joined through Diploma Only Entry*.
In the final leg of the IIT Madras online Data Science course, you will be awarded a BSc in Data Science degree which ranges between 1-3 years. This level requires candidates to choose one of the allied areas of study such as Computer System, Computer Application, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning. Depending on the choice, candidates will be presented with the core and elective subjects (40 credits). Once you complete this level, you will be awarded a BSc from the coveted IIT Madras.
Requirements for Registration: The candidates must be admitted via Regular Entry* and must have cleared the 8 courses of Foundation Level and 12 courses of Diploma Level.
*Explained in the Eligibility and Entry Paths Sections.
IIT Madras Data Science Course: Eligibility Criteria and Entry Paths
There are 2 ways to enroll for the Data Science and Programming course at the IIT Madras namely, Regular Entry and Diploma Only Entry. Via the regular entry, you will be able to enter the online Data Science course at the Foundation Level and can attain online education up to the level of your choice. Also, regular entry offers exit options at all levels. On the other hand, the Diploma Only Entry is exclusively designed for the working professionals who already possess the foundational learning of previous levels and wish to exit after seeking either of the 2 diplomas. Pursuing the IIT Madras Data Science course through Diploma Only Entry does not allow one to pursue the degree-level course.
Regular Entry Requisites
If you want to register through the Regular Entry then here is the eligibility criteria necessary for taking admission into this course:
- The candidates must have studied English and Mathematics in class 10th
- The candidates shall have qualified class 12th*
- The applicants must be enrolled/ graduated/ dropped out from a bachelor’s degree
*The students who will be completing class 12 in 2020 are allowed to appear in the Qualifier Process but will be granted admission only when they secure a seat in an undergraduate program.
It is essential to understand the fee structure of the IIT Madras Data Science and Programming course before registering. The fee of the program varies as per the level of the course opted. As far as the fee per credit for the Foundation Level is concerned, it is Rs. 1000. However, for Degree/ Diploma Level, it is Rs. 2,500. The fee tends to be 50% less for the SC/ ST/PwD category students. If the candidate belongs to PwD (more than 40% disability) and is from SC/ST background, their fee will be reduced to 75%. Now let us examine in detail the estimated fee of the program in Rupees.
|Level of Study||General/ Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/ OBC-NCL||SC/ST/ PwD (more than 40% disability)||PwD (more than 40% disability) & SC/ ST|
|Foundation Level (32 Credit)||Rs 32,000||Rs 16,000||Rs 8,000|
|Diploma Level (44 Credits)||Rs 1,10,000||Rs 55,000||Rs 27,500|
|Degree Level (40 Credits)||Rs 1,00,000||Rs 50,000||Rs 25,000|
|Regular Entry Application Fee||Rs 3,000||Rs 1,500||Rs 750|
Assessment and Pass Criteria
As the IIT Madras Data Science course is exclusively designed keeping in mind the medium of education i.e., Online, the modes and methods of assessment duly align with it. Online weekly assignments, monthly in-person invigilated quizzes and an in-person invigilated end term exam are the 3 modes through which the prospective students will be evaluated. Thus, this IIT Madras Data Science course will be a journey full of exciting events. Furthermore, as there are 3 main types of assessments, the pass criteria also varies. Let us now understand the pass percentage required to qualify various levels.
Total course score (T) = 40% of average of quiz (Q) + 60% of the end term exam score (E)
Candidates will be awarded grades as per the following criteria.
|(T ≥ 90) AND (E ≥ 24)||S|
|(90 > T ≥ 80) AND (E ≥ 24)||A|
|(80 > T ≥ 70) AND (E ≥ 24)||B|
|(70 > T ≥ 60) AND (E ≥ 24)||C|
|(60 > T ≥ 50) AND (E ≥ 24)||D|
|(T < 50) OR (E < 24) OR Average Assignment score < 40/ 100 OR No Quiz Attended||U (Fail)|
To enrol in a B.Sc. Data Science programme, applicants must complete an online application. Candidates must first go to the portal’s official website. The next step is for the pupils to fill out the necessary information and submit their papers. The size and requirements for documents are shown below.
As part of the application form, the following documents must be uploaded:
- A passport-sized photo in JPG or JPEG format that is between 50 and 150 KB
- Signature (4 to 150 KB file size) in JPEG or JPG format.
- Aadhar Card, PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID, Driving License, 12th Admit Card with Photo, and Other Government ID with Photo (JPEG, JPG, or PDF format) Photo ID Card Scan – File size range of 50 KB to 2 MB.
- Category Certificate—available in JPEG, JPG, or PDF formats exclusively to candidates who choose SC, ST, OBC-NCL, or EWS – File size range of 50 KB to 2 MB.
- PwD Certificate (JPEG, JPG, PDF format) – exclusively for candidates with a 40% or more impairment (file size: 50 KB to 2 MB).
As the online Data Science and Programming course of IIT Madras will be started for the first time, it is important to stay abreast of the dates and application deadlines in order to complete the application process successfully.
|Application Opens (Regular Entry)||To be Announced Soon|
|Application Close (Regular Entry)||15 September 2020|
|Weekly release of term 1 Qualifier course||5 October 2020|
|Qualifier Exam Hall Ticket Date||2 November 2020|
|Qualifier Exam Date||20/ 21/ 22 November 2020|
|Qualifier Exam Results||7 December 2020|
|Registration For Term 1||11 December 2020 to 3 January 2021|
|Foundation Level Batch Starts||4 January 2021|
Some of the Top Data Science Courses in India
- Post Graduate Program in Data Science from Purdue University and Simplilearn– The Post Graduate Program in Data Science from Purdue University and Simplilearn has been named the finest data science course in India. Simplilearn and Purdue University have partnered to provide this programme. IBM and Purdue worked together to create the software. The student receives both an IBM certificate and a Purdue PG certificate upon successfully completing the programme. The duration of program is 12 months and fee is INR 2,25,000 + GST.
- Post Graduate Program in Data Science by Praxis Business School- The Praxis School’s PGP in Data Science is a nine-month full-time programme. Bangalore, Kolkata, and Mumbai are the cities where it is available. This course takes additional time commitment and cannot be completed while holding down a job because it is a full-time data science course. Additionally, it promotes learning and higher completions. The classes are offline and fee is approx. INR 5,10,000 + GST.
- Advanced Program in Data Science by IIM Calcutta- IIM Calcutta offers 12 months online Advanced Program in Data Science to working individuals who desire to advance their skills while still employed. With a few live sessions here and there and a four-day on-campus session, this programme is primarily online and tuition fee is INR 4,40,000 + GST.
- Post Graduate Program in Data Science and Business Analytics by Great Learning- The primary target audience for this online PGP in Data Science and Business Analytics programme offered by Great Learning is working professionals. Online pre-recorded videos and a monthly live class with a university lecturer make up the teaching methodology. The duration of program is 11 months and fee is approx. INR 2,25,000 + GST.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Data Science by Upgrad– This demanding 12-month online course from Upgrad is designed to be completed in 12–15 hours each week. No prior coding knowledge is necessary for this software. It is recognised with IIIT Banglore and the tuiton fee is approx. 2,85,00 inr plus GST.
Also check out: Data Science Courses in Abroad
A BSc in Data Science is available online from IIT Madras. Applications are now being accepted for students in classes 11 and 12. View the specifics here. Admissions to IIT Madras have begun for 2022 for both working professionals and school pupils.
Both normal entrance and JEE advanced-based entries are accepted for admission to the IIT Madras BSc data science programme. Direct admittance into the BSc data science programme is available to those who pass the qualifying test. Students who pass the JEE Advanced test in 2022 can apply right away for the September session of that year.
A free 4-week online course on Python for data science is available from IIT Madras. For a free online course titled Python for Data Science on the SWAYAM NPTEL platform, IIT Madras is now taking applications from students, professionals, and anybody else who is interested.
38 institutions in India now offer fully accredited online degree programmes thanks to the University Grants Commission (UGC). These higher education institutions are allowed to launch complete online programmes without seeking prior UGC permission
Hence, the latest and upcoming online Data Science and Programming course of IIT Madras is an excellent path for those who want to kickstart their career in emerging fields of Science and Technology. However, if you want to pursue this course from universities abroad but are not sure how to get started with it then reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and they will help you choose the best UG/PG course at a favourable study destination abroad. Hurry up! Book an e-meeting now.