When 300,000 computers in 150 countries can be malfunctioned due to worms(infecting virus) like WannaCry ransomware and lose around $4 billion, then how is it possible for emerging companies to survive in such ambushing environment? Yes, we need someone to stop such attacks. And most importantly, that next life-saving person can be you.
What is Cyber Security?
Simply put, Cyber Security provides us a set of preventive tools and techniques that are used to protect precious data from being breached. The fundamental role of Cyber Security is to build an expert who can act as a preventive wall to deal with major threats like:
- Cyber Terrorism: Information technology is exploited by terrorist groups to attain information for their own self-purpose. Attackers usually attack infrastructure, telecommunications, networks, and computer systems.
- Cyber Warfare: In such warfare, nations use information technology to scrape the data out of foreign country networks. It is considered as the 5th domain of warfare following up the land, sea, air, and space.
- Cyber Espionage: It involves the practice of controlling information technology to get into someone’s confidential data without prior permission of the owner. It is mostly utilized to gain economic, military, and political leverage by using various virus injecting activities.
Career in Cyber Security
Having a career in Cybersecurity can be “Next Big Achievement” for you. Now you must be wondering what is so special about having the next big achievement? We can achieve big in any other field too. Right? Of course, it is great to have a stable career in any field but cybersecurity is one of the booming modern careers because of the constant growth of hackers.
Now let me tell you some pros that may ignite the Cybersecurity expert within you right now.
Pros of Having Career In Cybersecurity
“Nobody wants to bear losses.” Do you? Definitely not!
Such a mindset leads to a lot of employment opportunities in the near future in such a way:
- Startups and Rapid Technological Transformations: Many new startups are taking participation in the international economy day by day such as Zomato, Swiggy, Policybazaar, Paytm, etc. In addition to this, bots are developed by companies to make their work easier so that they can stand apart from the crowd. So not a single business owner can afford to lose the data of their customers.
- Deficiency of Cybersecurity Experts: Last year, ESG(Enterprise Strategy Group) did its annual global survey on the state of IT. It claimed that in 2018, 51 respondents claimed that their organizations were in a terrible shortage of cybersecurity skills.
- Good Pay Package: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, cybersecurity professionals earn from $20.76 to $57.67 per hour.
- Can Work From Anywhere Around The World: When hackers can smash into high-security networks from anywhere then why can’t you be the hero and save the victim from anywhere? If you are that kind of person who doesn’t like to stay in one place for a long time then this career will be suitable for you.
- Innovative and Creative Field: Do you hate to play by the rules? If yes, then as a cybersecurity expert you have full control over your steering. That means, nobody can deny your methods. You can throttle or break your shuttle as per your needs. It will be your game and your rules because to do something innovative, you have to break rules. So employers won’t shuffle with your methods because you can breach security in your own way.
- Self-Study: Unlike Engineering, medicines or humanities, you can learn it on your own and get certification to become a professional Cybersecurity professional.
Cons of Having Career In Cybersecurity
- Constant Learning Curve: You can’t use the same information that you have learned 5 years ago. You need to stay updated with current techniques and technologies to defend someone. Otherwise, your skills will automatically decrease because the attackers on the other side will become more powerful than your expectations.
- Odd Hours: You have to be active just like a digital soldier. Look, the attack may occur at any time and they may call you anytime if you are on a contract. So be ready for some action if you want to go this path because sudden surprise attack may rush blood through your veins.
Career Paths in Cybersecurity
Even though there are so many career paths in Cybersecurity but the presence of fun associated with each path will make you think twice. Especially, when you are a tech lover. However, You can walk on these paths to have a bright career in Cybersecurity:
- Security Architect: What if we tell you that this is suitable for you if you care about solving problems and strategizing? Cool, isn’t it? If you go this path, you will be hired to construct and execute network and computer security for an organization. It’s all about generating complex security framework and ensuring whether the function is malfunctioned or not. Being security Architect, you have to counter DDoS attacks and various kind of hackings.
- Security Software Developer: The name itself suggests that what security software developer do. You simply need to develop and integrate protecting software during the design and development of the application software. Whether you build it alone or with a team, it depends on the company and your specific position.
- Security Consultant: This is an all in one expert. Such experts consult numerous organizations on the basis of their experience and knowledge. They measure cybersecurity risks and give precise treatment. But one thing is for sure, as a security consultant, you have to puzzle yourself in a wide range of variables while evaluating security systems because of the diverse industries and companies.
- Ethical Hackers: These hackers hold a certificate in their hand called CEH(Certified Ethical Hacker) and receive a license by their employers before invading the security of systems. The magic behind hiring an Ethical Hacker for defense is to know about the vulnerabilities. Such hackers use the same malicious exploitive techniques that hackers use to gain unauthorized access. So as an ethical hacker in cybersecurity, you only need to show the vulnerabilities.
- Information Security Analyst: This type of analyst defense in the front gate of networks. They arrange firewalls and do encryptions to prevent breaches. Along with this, they steadily monitor the network to watch out abnormal activities.
- Computer Forensics Analysts: The work of a forensic analyst is to keep a check on cybercrime. Such analysts work with law enforcement powers in the private and public sectors organizations. They are assigned a range of tasks that includes following up data trails, analyzing records, interpretation of data linked to crime, and recovering deleted files. Such forensic analysts must keep a well profound record with themselves so that they can later provide evidence in the court against the guilty ones.
- Chief Information Security Officer: It’s a mid-executive level position in which the work of the chief is to manage the operations of a company or an organization. They strike a right balance to coordinate, plan and direct all the data security needs, networks, and computers of the employer. CISCO merge themselves with the management so that they can estimate the company’s required cybersecurity demands. At last, it’s necessary for you to have a strong background in IT security strategy, architecture, communication, and human resources skills to become a CISCO.
- IT Security Consultant: They meet with clients to give them advice on how they can stay on the safe side. These kind of consultants are more likely to be hired by small agencies that don’t have a budget to handle their security matters. Still, these consultants are also hired by big corporations.
- Penetration Tester: Such testers look out for system flaws. They perform a series of hacking activities to get into a network and computer systems to discover the latent vulnerabilities of the operating system, application problems, improper configurations, and service in advance. A penetration tester should be highly skilled who can keep highly precise records of their observed vulnerabilities and activities.
- Security System Administrator: Responsibility of a security system administrator is relatable to various Cybersecurity jobs. For example, they are required to administer, install, troubleshoot, and maintain computers, data networks, and distinctive security systems. The only line that separates the security system administrator and other cybersecurity professionals are the positions. An administrator is a chief who controls the daily operations of security systems. You need to monitor, run regular backups, set up, delete, and maintain individual user accounts to be a security system administrator. On the other side, they are also meant to develop organizational security procedures.
Top Reputable Universities To Do Masters In Cybersecurity
Georgia Institute Of Technology
This University is situated in Atlanta, Georgia and was founded in 1885. It is ranked 8th in the computer science graduate program by the U.S news and world report. It is commonly known as Georgia Tech. Currently, Georgia Tech is divided into six colleges that consist of 31 units that have objectives to put more emphasis on science and technology.
Hard VPAL university is one of the world’s excellent university in the US state of Massachusetts. which have more than 6,500 undergraduate students and about 15,000 postgraduate students. It has the highest endowments in the world. Its close competitors like the University of Texas, Yale, and Stanford have 50% less endowment than Harvard.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institue of Technology is a private university which is also known as MIT. The university was established in the city of England in 1861 due to the increasing industrialization of the US. The intention of the institute is to develop genius and quality students in the field of Science & Technology. In 2018, MIT ranked at 2nd position in the World University Rankings at RUR(Round University Rankings).
University of California, Berkeley
This public university was founded in 1868. It contains 184 academic departments and programs. The current faculty holds 8 Nobel prizes. Once you get into this university, you will face challenging students and the noble prize winning teachers to teach you.
University of Southern California
Now this one is the oldest private research university in California which was established in 1880. During the academic session of 2018-19, there were 20,000 students enrolled in four-year undergraduate programs.
New York University (NYU)
This university wasn’t that much popular but now it has spread its wings to a very large extent. It formed in 1831 and has several locations and campuses throughout the world. New York University has campuses to grant degrees in Abu Dhabi, Shangai, and 11 other global research programs and academic centers in more than 25 countries.
The University of Maryland, College Park
Commonly, it’s called as UMD. UMD is a public research university which was founded in 1856. It is considered as the largest university in the state as well as Washington metropolitan area which accommodate more than 41,000 students constituting 123 countries and 50 states. Its 12 colleges and schools both together provide over 200 degree-granting programs.
University of Washington
It’s a public research university in Seatle Washington which was founded in 1861. It offers master, bachelors and doctoral degrees throughout its 140 departments in distinct colleges and schools. On average, 46,000 students take enrollment every year and function on the basis of a quarter system.
Johns Hopkins University (J.Hopkins)
It’s a private research university in Baltimore, Maryland which was founded in 1876. There are 6,109 students who enrolled in its undergraduate program. It ranked at 10th position in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges in National Universities.
Iowa State University
It’s a public land-grant and space-grant research university which was founded in 1858 in Ames, Iowa, US. Generally, they call it Iowa state. Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has classified it as the “highest research activity” university.
Wait! We Also Have A List of Some Free Online Course:
Shaping Up Your Career In Cyber Security
When it comes to career paths, there are a lot of choices for you. However, we recommend you to pursue the path which suits with your passion. So, if a career in Cyber Security is something that excites you, but you are not sure how to go about it, just call an expert at Leverage Edu right now +91-8826200293