This year has taught us the importance of health-care professionals, they have acted as saviors for us. Medical is one of the most noble professions and a booming career, because the demand for doctors or medical practitioners is never going to decrease. There are a number of medical courses which you can take up to enter the medical industry, one such course is Allied Health Science course. This blog covers everything about this course, so keep reading.
This Blog Includes:
What is an Allied Health Science Course?
Allied Health Practitioners are a separate group of health practitioners who apply their skills to prevent, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate people of all ages and all specialties from transmitting diseases. They will provide direct medical care, recovery, medication, diagnostics and health development measures along with a range of technical and support personnel to recover and sustain optimum physical, sensory, psychological, cognitive and social functions. Allied health sciences deal with all sorts of medical diagnostic techniques (e.g. blood analysis, histopathology, pathological analysis, radiography) that are used in the medical field and are very relevant for patient care. The role of allied health workers in providing effective care has become critical with diagnosis based on technology.
Allied Health Science Courses
Here is a list of popular courses in this field:
- B. Sc Microbiology
- Bachelor of Optometry
- B. Sc Nutrition & Dietetics
- B. Sc Radio-Imaging Technology
- B. Sc Neuro-physiology Technology
- B. Sc Operation Theater Technology
- B. Sc Medical Laboratory Technology
- B. Sc Cardiac Care Technology
- B. Sc Renal Dialysis
- Master of Optometry
- M. Sc Nutrition & Dietetics
- M. Sc Radio-Imaging Technology
- M. Sc Operation Theater Technology
- M. Sc Medical Laboratory Technology
- M. Sc Microbiology
- PhD Nutrition & Dietetics
- PhD Microbiology
- PhD Radio Imaging & Technology
Also Read: Everything About BSc in Allied Health Science
- Students planning to pursue Allied Health Science courses must belong to the science stream.
- Biology is an obligatory subject for certain related medical disciplines.
- Applicants are shortlisted for admission to good institutions based on their results at the +2 level. Therefore, a high aggregate percentage is significant. So, in all subjects, the student should strive to score high. Biology may be given special importance as some courses separately require a good score in biology.
- To be able to evaluate and interpret data and take decisions, Allied medical science students should learn strong critical thinking capacity and research skills. To take up this career area, the ability to persevere in difficult conditions and strong physical endurance are both necessary requirements.
- Most institutions demand a minimum of 50 percent or above in aggregate for admission to undergraduate courses. In Biology, some courses may also require a separate minimum 50 percent requirement.
- Indian universities also conduct entrance examinations as a part of the admission process.
- Universities abroad might ask for proficiency tests like IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, SAT, ACT, etc. depending on the course you are applying for.
Top Colleges in India offering Allied Health Science Courses
Here is the list of popular Indian institutes offering Allied Health Science courses:
|Name of Exam||Universities/Colleges||Application period||Exam Dates|
|AIIMS Entrance Exams||AIIMS (New Delhi and others)||November to January||In the month of June|
|Indian Army BSc Nursing Entrance Exam||College of Nursing, AFMC PuneCollege of Nursing, CH (EC) KolkataCollege of Nursing, INHS AsviniCollege of Nursing, AH (R&R), New DelhiCollege of Nursing, CH (CC), LucknowSchool of Nursing, CH (AF), Bangalore||November||January|
|LBS Kerala Post Basic BSc Nursing Admission Test||Govt. College of Nursing, ThiruvananthapuramGovt. College of Nursing, ErnakulamNursing Self Financing Colleges under SMIET (Kochi, Kannur & Palghat)Nursing Private Self-Financing Colleges||2nd week to 4th week of June||July|
|Kerala BPharm lateral entry Admission test (For DPharm holders)||College of Pharmaceutical Sciences , Medical college (Trivandrum, Kottyam, Kozhikode, Alappuzha)Self-financing Pharmacy institutions||2nd week to last week of August||2nd week of September|
|KEAM (Engineering/Pharmacy entrance exam)||College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical college (Trivandrum, Kottyam, Kozhikode, Alappuzha)Self-financing Pharmacy institutions||1st week to last week of February||4th week of April|
|BITSAT (BPharm entrance)||Birla Institute of Technology||December to March||May|
Top Universities Abroad
- University of Hawaii – Manoa
- University of Mississippi – Shorelight
- Cambrian College
- Georgian College
- Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
Areas Where Allied Health Professionals Work
In order to associate the symptoms with the diagnosis and to treat the patient correctly, these individuals are actively interested in proper examination and diagnosis of the diseases. They consist of both technicians and supervisors. Some of the areas where they work are –
- Perfusion Technology
- Cardiovascular Technology
Career in Allied Science Courses
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that, relative to most other professions, healthcare-related careers are out for a higher growth rate. Over the last decade, advancements in technology have produced a dramatic change in the general viewpoint of the healthcare industry. The positions of paramedical practitioners and technologists are no longer considered to be the prerogative of physicians and nurses with greater significance. In addition, a greater range of opportunities are now available in higher-level studies and study areas related to Allied health services.
Job prospects for clinical laboratory technologists are likely to surpass the trained professionals available, as doctors rely more and more on diagnostic laboratory tests. The growing demand for surgical assistants and OT technologists is being increased by the use of surgical procedures for the treatment of diseases in an ageing population.
We hope this blog has cleared all the doubts related to the Allied Health Science course. Do you want to pursue this course? Secure your admission with the help of experts at Leverage Edu. Register for a free counselling session today!