One of the ancient Health Sciences, Physiotherapy aims to treat injuries and diseases using specialised physical practices and techniques. Further, it comprises of a wide range of speciality areas such as geriatric, orthopaedic, pediatric, amongst others. Different from the traditional chosen fields of Medical Science, Physiotherapy has its origins in the massage, hydrotherapy and manual therapy techniques utilised during the time of Hippocrates. A Bachelor of Physiotherapy is a bachelor’s degree program that aims to equip students with the knowledge of physical practices and methods used to facilitate healing. If you are interested in this field of Health Sciences, here is a comprehensive blog detailing the key essentials of a Bachelor in Physiotherapy as well as the diverse career opportunities that this field entails.
This Blog Includes
- Understanding Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Structure and Curriculum for BPT Course Abroad
- Why Pursue a Career in Physiotherapy?
- Necessary Skills to Become Physiotherapists
- Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Top Universities for Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- BPT Colleges in India
- BPT Course Syllabus in India
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy: Fees
- Advancing Career Options
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy: Job Outlook
- Online Courses in Physiotherapy
Understanding Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT) is a 3 or 4-year undergraduate program in the field of Health Sciences. It deals with the science of physical movements and ways used to provide treatment through the use of massages, exercises and physical therapy to those whose movement and function are threatened by injury, disease, ageing or environmental factors. A course in Physical Therapy also includes a clinical internship which normally occurs toward the end of the professional degree program thus allowing students to incorporate hands-on practice into actual clinical scenarios. BPT lays attention to the use of physical treatment instead of relying extensively on the use of medicine and drugs.
Structure and Curriculum for BPT Course Abroad
Here is a list of subjects majorly covered during a Bachelor of Physiotherapy:
|Anatomy||First Aid & CPR|
|Physiology||General Medicine and Surgery|
|Sociology||Neurology & Neurosurgery|
|Microbiology||Orthopaedics & Sports Physiotherapy|
|Pharmacology||Cardio-Respiratory & General Physiotherapy|
|Electrotherapy||Evidence-based Physiotherapy Practice|
|Exercise Therapy||Supervised Rotatory Clinical Training|
|Research Methodology & Biostatistics||Ethics, Administration and Supervision|
Why Pursue a Career in Physiotherapy?
Being a broad area of Medicine and Public Health, a career in Physiotherapy is filled with an immense number of opportunities in the Healthcare sector. Below listed are top reasons why you should pursue a Bachelor of Physiotherapy:
- In this specialised field of Health Sciences, there are ample prospects to explore for building a rewarding and challenging career. Professionals in Physiotherapy make a real difference to the quality of life for their patients.
- Physiotherapists are well-reputed and respected members of the society as they are actively engaged with people from all ages suffering from chronic pain, injuries and challenges with mobility.
- A Bachelor of Physiotherapy course incorporates clinical placements and training to provide students with real-time exposure.
Necessary Skills to Become Physiotherapists
Individuals who have adequate patience, compassion for the injured and sick are ideally suited for the course. Moreover, students pursuing a career in Physiotherapy should also have significant physical stamina because of the demanding nature of the work.
Here is a list of essential skills required to become a Physiotherapist:
- Build rapport with patients and maintain communication with other Healthcare professionals like doctors, nurses, health visitors, nurses and social workers.
- Tolerant, compassionate and a team player.
- Attention to detail and a continuous learner.
- Good coordination and ability to quickly adapt to any kind of work.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible to pursue this degree from a recognised university or college, students are required to fulfil the below-mentioned criteria:
- Secondary education qualifications including national and international equivalents.
- Science background with subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics and English.
- English-language proficiency tests: TOEFL, IELTS, PTE and Cambridge English.
Note: These are basic eligibility criteria and any specific admission prerequisite can be directly checked on the specific university or college website.
Top Universities for Bachelor of Physiotherapy
There are a wide range of institutions offering a degree in BPT which includes the study of the basic principle of healing, repair and movement analysis of the individuals. Here is a list of major universities offering a Bachelor of Physiotherapy with several variants:
- University of Otago
- Auckland University of Technology
- The University of Sydney
- Monash University
- University of Queensland
- The University of Newcastle
BPT Colleges in India
BPT is a popular course in India, hence, a bunch of universities and colleges offer this program. for all those who are looking for Bachelor of physiotherapy colleges in India, here is the list for the same-
- Christian Medical College
- Madras Medical College
- Seth GS Medical College
- Kasturba Medical College
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research
- Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
- Topiwala National Medical College
- Ramaiah Medical College
- Maharajah’s Institute of Medical Sciences
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Baba Farid University of Health Sciences
BPT Course Syllabus in India
The general duration of BPT course is around 4 years along with which it is mandatory for students to complete an internship of around 6 to 12 months. Immaturity of the university there are four main examinations, one set of examinations being held every year. Let us now go through the syllabus of Bachelor of physiotherapy-
|1st year||2nd year||3rd year||4th year|
-Basic Nursing and First Aid
-Ethics in Physiotherapy
|-Biomechanics and Kinesiology|
-Exercise Therapy- I
-Electro Therapy -II
|-Exercise Therapy- II |
-General Medicine including Pediatrics and Psychiatry
-Research Methodology and Biostatistics
|-Physiotherapy in Orthopaedic Conditions |
-Physiotherapy in Neurological Conditions
-Physiotherapy in Cardio-respiratory and General Conditions
-Physiotherapy in sports
-Rehabilitation on Medicine
-Orthotics and Prosthotics
Bachelor of Physiotherapy: Fees
When it comes to posting UG degree in Physiotherapy abroad, there are various options available in terms of courses such as BSc Physiotherapy, Bachelor of Applied Sciences Physiotherapy, Bachelor of Health Science Physiotherapy and so on. As per the course of your choice and the specialisation to pick, your estimated fees of this course will be INR 20,00,000- 50,00,000.
Advancing Career Options
Pursuing a Bachelor of Physiotherapy, you will get to learn about the essentials of assessing, diagnosing and treating people with movement problems caused by muscle, joint or nerve disorders. In addition, you will also be equipped with the techniques of helping people avoid such injuries and maintain a healthy and fit body.
There are various specialisation options available in the field of Physiotherapy for students opting for a course in Physiology, Anatomy or Biomechanics or other areas of interest. Graduates in Physiotherapy can either go for independent practice and research or simply look for master’s degree courses in the field. Some of these can include an M.Sc Anatomy, M.Sc Physiology, MBA Hospital Administration, Master of Physiotherapy, Master of Clinical Physiotherapy, Master of Sports Physiotherapy, Cardiothoracic Physiotherapy, Biomechanics, PG Diploma in Physiotherapy and PG Diploma in Sports Science.
Bachelor of Physiotherapy: Job Outlook
There are a range of opportunities for those who are joining as a Physiotherapist in both government as well as the private sector. Professionals in this field can find lucrative placements with satisfying salary and growth opportunities. Below is a list of major recruits that hire Physiotherapy graduates.
- Research Centres
- Community Health Centres
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Fitness Centres
- Defence Medical Establishments
- Sports Clubs
- Institutions (Education and Health)
With a boom in the healthcare sector, there has been an increasing demand for physiotherapists across the globe. Below listed are some of the major job profiles in Physiotherapy:
- Assistant Physiotherapist
- Therapy Manager
- Research Assistant
- Self-employed Private Physiotherapist
- Sports Physio Rehabilitator
Online Courses in Physiotherapy
Due to multiple reasons, it is difficult for students to attend full-time classes. Thus, many renowned universities abroad as well as global level educational platforms have now started to offer online teachings in this field. Let’s take a look at few of bachelor of physiotherapy courses that you can pursue online-
- Bachelor of Science in Rehabilitation Studies, Thomas University
- BS in Kinesiology, Concordia University Chicago
- Managing your health: The role of physical therapy and exercise, Coursera
- The science of training young athletes, Coursera
Also Read: Diploma in Physiotherapy
Hence, Physiotherapy is rapidly emerging as an incremental field of Health Sciences. A Bachelor of Physiotherapy is an entry-level program in the world of Physical Therapy and equips you with the necessary skills and knowledge required to make a career in this rewarding field. If you are unsure about the right university to pursue this course from, take the help of Leverage Edu‘s AI tool to browse through various medical schools offering this course across the globe and find the right one that suits your preferences and career ambitions.