After completing twelve long years of schooling, it is often noted that students find themselves confused as to what subject they should take up and if that chosen subject is good for them or not. Science is a diverse branch of study offering a variety of degrees to budding Science enthusiasts. Two of the most renowned degrees opted worldwide are B.Sc. (general) and B.Sc. Honors. You must be wondering what exactly separates the two or how are the two mentioned degrees different? Well, in this blog we will erase all your worries and give you a clear picture of Difference Between BSc and BSc Honours
This Blog Includes:
- B.Sc Degree
- B.Sc Degree Honours
- What is the Difference Between B.Sc. and B.Sc? Hons Degree?
- Difference Between BSc vs. BSc Honours: Course Structure
- Difference Between BSc vs. BSc Honours: Eligibility Criteria Abroad
- Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc and B.Sc (Hons) Courses Admission
- Cost of Studying for B.Sc and B.Sc Honours Abroad
- Top Universities Abroad for B.Sc. and B.Sc. (Honors)
- Top Universities in India for B.Sc. and B.Sc. Honors
- Job Prospects After B.Sc and B.Sc Hons Courses
- Which is the Best Course for Students B.Sc Or B.Sc Hons?
|Parameters of Comparison||B.Sc (General)||B.Sc (Honours)|
|Definition||A degree which deals with formulating a stronger grasp on Science without focusing on one specific subject.||A degree that focuses primarily on one chosen subject of Science and specializes in that specific paper only.|
|Demand||Is in lesser demand in the world of academia.||Is in greater demand in the world of academia.|
|Scope in future||Has a lesser scope than B.Sc. Honours||Has a greater scope than B.Sc (general).|
|Subjects of Focus||All subjects under the degree are of equal importance.||One specific subject (mathematics, biology, botany, zoology, chemistry, physics, or economics) is of primary focus.|
|Value||Conventionally, the degree holds a lesser value than B.Sc Honours.||The degree holds a greater value than B.Sc (general).|
A Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc) is generally considered an ordinary pass degree with a duration of 3 years. This course is basically designed to offer the undergoing aspirants a broad foundation necessary for a science-based career, with a special focus on multidisciplinary learning. Other than offering specializations, this course only offers strong foundation knowledge in the various science-based subjects such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, botany, zoology, and other life sciences.
B.Sc Degree Honours
The course of B.Sc. Honours aim at providing advanced and specialized theoretical and research skills in the chosen science subjects. Prestigious universities may also demand a rigorous dissertation from every student for completion of the B.Sc. Honours course. This specialized undergraduate course is highly elegant for enhancing the employability of the pursuing students across a broad range of career positions in the scientific industry.
What is the Difference Between B.Sc. and B.Sc? Hons Degree?
Undergraduate scientific courses such as B.Sc. (General or Pass) and B.Sc. (Honors) are quite popular. Again, most Indian colleges and institutes require three years to complete each of these degrees. Furthermore, the syllabus of these two courses is nearly identical, except the learning style and professional goals. Lets understand the fundamental differences between B.Sc and B.Sc honors courses, as well as admissions information for each of these courses.
In general, the following are the primary distinctions between a b.sc (general) and a b.sc (Hons) at most Indian colleges and universities:
- The B.Sc. (General) is a common bachelor’s degree in science that is aimed to provide students with a wide foundation in science that will prepare them for a career in science, with a strong emphasis on transdisciplinary learning. This b.sc. (general) the program does not offer specialization in any single area, but it does provide a good foundation in physics, chemistry, mathematics, botany, zoology, and other life sciences.
- The B.Sc. (Hons) degree aims to give advanced and specialized theoretical and research abilities in the selected scientific field, as well as a broad understanding of the sciences, to equip students with a strong foundation for a future academic or professional career. In comparison to a b.sc, a b.sc (Hons) is considered a more typical degree (general). For completion of the B.Sc. (Hons) level, prestigious universities may additionally require a difficult dissertation from each student.
- In terms of work possibilities, a b.sc (Hons) degree is regarded as more productive and advantageous than a regular b.sc (general) degree, and companies frequently choose b.sc (Hons) over b.sc (general) (general).
Difference Between BSc vs. BSc Honours: Course Structure
Even though both the undergraduate courses are on the same academic level, there are major differences in terms of their course structure and credits. Tabulated below are some of the major points which will help you understand the difference between B.Sc and B.Sc honours curriculum.
|Course Names||B.Sc. (Honors)||B.Sc. (General)|
|Course Details||This course helps in building an advanced professional or academic career.
It is an appropriate course for students who wish to pursue a Master of Science (M.Sc) or a Doctorate degree.
This program facilitates students who wish to pursue independent research projects in an area of interest under the supervision of an academic staff member.
|This program facilitates a large range of career possibilities.
It provides a broad foundation in the sciences, with a special focus on multidisciplinarity.
|Required Marks||Passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with 55 to 60%Studied physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology as compulsory subjects.||Passed class 12 with more than 55% marks in the best of four subjects.|
|Specializations||B.Sc (Hons) Biochemistry
B.Sc (Hons) Zoology
B.Sc. (Hons) Biomedical Sciences
B.Sc (Hons) Statistics
B.Sc (Hons) Chemistry
B.Sc. (Hons) Computer Science
B.Sc. (Hons) Botany
B.Sc (Hons) Physics
B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics and others
|No specializations available.
The course provides a foundation for all science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Life Sciences.
Difference Between BSc vs. BSc Honours: Eligibility Criteria Abroad
The eligibility criteria are an important factor in understanding the difference between BSc and BSc Honors. To pursue an undergraduate degree in Science, here are a few important criteria that aspirants should consider:
|Course||B.Sc (general)||B.Sc (honours)|
|Eligibility Criteria||12th standard pass in Science from a recognized board of education.
Students who have passed 12th standards in other streams like Arts and Commerce may also switch. But, it is up to the university and college to allow this change and grant the student admission
|Students must complete their 10+2 education with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
Admissions are made either via management quota or via merit-based quota.
The overall university cutoff scores are calculated as the aggregate of entrance exam scores and the 10+2 percentile
|English Proficiency for foreign universities||Valid IELTS/TOEFL||Valid IELTS/TOEFL|
Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc and B.Sc (Hons) Courses Admission
A student who wishes to enroll in a BSc Hons programme must have completed 10 + 2 or an equivalent test with a grade point average of 55 to 60 percent. Furthermore, they should have taken physics, chemistry, math, and biology as required courses in school. Candidates for a BSc must have completed class 12 with at least 55 percent in the best of four subjects.
Cost of Studying for B.Sc and B.Sc Honours Abroad
Another significant factor that must be considered while choosing a suitable course between these two is the fee structure of the university and the cost of studying (both in India and abroad). Here is a detailed list of all the required information regarding the cost of studying for a B.Sc. and B.Sc. (Honors) degree.
|Course Name||B.Sc (general)||B.Sc (honours)|
|Visa Application fee||₹6,347 – ₹38,500||₹6,347 – ₹38,500|
|Tuition Fee||₹11,03,32,500 (for 3 years)||₹20,99,892 (for 4 years)|
|Travel Cost||₹37,800 – ₹1,05,000||₹37800 – ₹1,05,000|
Top Universities Abroad for B.Sc. and B.Sc. (Honors)
According to the QS Natural Science Ranking, these are the top colleges in the world that provide high-level education in the science stream.
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||₹36,57,000|
|4||University of Cambridge||₹25,71,500|
|5||University of Oxford||₹33,27,800|
Top Universities in India for B.Sc. and B.Sc. Honors
- Miranda House, Delhi
- Kirori Mal College – KMC, Delhi
- Hindu College, Delhi
- Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, New Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- MCC – Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Hansraj College, Delhi
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, New Delhi
- Department of Sciences, Christ University, Bengaluru
- Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru
Job Prospects After B.Sc and B.Sc Hons Courses
In terms of career chances, a B.Sc (Hons) degree has an edge over a B.Sc degree. A student with a B.Sc (Hons) degree will be given precedence over a student with a B.Sc (general) degree for obvious reasons. A B.Sc. holders can work in a variety of fields, including business, academia, marketing, and research.
Which is the Best Course for Students B.Sc Or B.Sc Hons?
When Differenceing Between BSc and BSc Honours Academically and professionally, the B.Sc (Hons) is often regarded as better than the standard B.Sc. However, the student’s choice of BSc or BSc Hons course may be influenced by his or her professional goals and prospects.
- The B.Sc. (Hons) program is better appropriate for students who want to study in-depth any of the major sciences (physics, chemistry, mathematics, etc.). On the other hand, if a student just wants a diverse and balanced science education, B.Sc. (general) is the better option.
- When a student has significant professional objectives, particularly in scientific research and innovation, the b.sc (Hons) programme is most suited and favored. This specialized undergraduate science course is ideal for improving students’ employability in a variety of science-related jobs (such as academia, corporate & business, professions & services, scientific research, law, marketing, etc.).
A Bachelor of Science (BSc) is a regular degree while a Bachelor of Science (Hons) is an honors degree.
B.Sc Hons is a considerably more focused degree than B.Sc in General, and academically, B.Sc (Hons) is a more traditional degree than B.Sc in General. A B.Sc (Hons) programme is recommended if you want to specialize in one of the major sciences, such as mathematics, chemistry, or physics.
In the context of numerous degrees and certification systems, the honors degree has multiple meanings. Rather than a “ordinary,” “pass,” or “generic” bachelor’s degree, it usually refers to an undergraduate bachelor’s degree with a bigger volume of content or a higher quality of study, or both.
This was all about the difference Between BSc and BSc Honours choosing between two is a tough call to make and cannot be taken lightly. Confusion about this is quite obvious, but you don’t have to make an uninformed decision without proper research backing. With the help of our experts in Leverage Edu, you can make a well-informed decision for a better future!