In the past recent years, the Pharmaceutical industry has seen a fast-paced rise with unique inventions of varied life-saving drugs. As the medical science is swimming with path-breaking researches and technologies, there are a plethora of new job opportunities arising especially in the Pharmaceutical sector. For those wanting to study a degree in this domain, the most popular programs include Bachelor of Pharmacy, M Pharm, PhD in Pharmacy, amongst others. However, if you are planning to opt for a short-term yet specialised course, then you must consider Diploma in Pharmacy. Let’s take a look at what D Pharmacy comprises of, top universities you can choose from as well as the career prospects it offers.
Also Read: Masters in Pharmacy in Canada: A Guide
This Blog Includes:
The aim of this diploma program is to impart the foundational knowledge of the ever-growing field of Pharmacy. Generally offered as a 1-2 year course, students get to learn about the basic processes behind the formation of various pharmaceutical drugs. Along with this, D Pharmacy also incorporates a multitude of principles of medical management and constitutes an array of topics such as Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology etc.
Why D Pharmacy?
- D Pharmacy easily gets you a job in private and government hospitals or stores
- Centers such as NGOs, health clinics, community healthcare clinics provide pharmacist positions where you can check the prescription and give medicines
- Giant pharmaceutical companies hire for various job positions such as Process controller, Manufacturing head, and quality controller.
- Medical representative is a very attractive job profile with handsome salary
- Initiate your own pharmacy outlet to sell medicines in wholesale or other medical surgical items.
- Improve your interpersonal skills and enhance your profile with gaining experience
Also read: Career in Pharmacy
Eligibility Criteria for D Pharmacy
To acquire admission in any of the leading universities across the globe, students must fulfil some key prerequisites. To begin with, one must have the usual formal schooling of 10+2 with mandatory BiPC subjects. Moreover, students must qualify any English language proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE etc. Also, it is advised that the applicant must have lucrative Letters of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP). It is also sternly advised that the applicant must check the eligibility criteria of their chosen university on its official website.
Check Out: Career in Alternative Medicine
The must-haves skill sets of pharmacists are mentioned below.
- Accurate record keeping as per Food and Drug Act (FDA)
- Safe and accurate processing of prescriptions
- Dispensing and compounding of medicines
- Purchasing ,Merchandising and Inventory control
- Drug approval processes
- Regulatory requirements involving testing, screening and clinical trials of drugs
- Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence
- Patient provider relationships
- Narcotics control
- Third party Billing
- Computer processing
Here are some of the basic details about the D Pharmacy course- duration of the course, fees, and scholarships available.
Course Duration of Diploma in Pharmacy [D.Pharm.] is around 2 Years with the minimum age limit of 17 years.
The average fee of D Pharm course is INR 45,000 to 1, 00,000 per annum. It may be more or less depending on the institution, private, semi-private, or government.
Some of the International scholarships available for International students to pursue pharmacy courses are mentioned below:
- Richard Cullen And Siu-Kuen Chan Scholarship At International House
- Education Future International Scholarship
- Out-Of-State Competitive Tuition Discount In USA
- Laurentian University Academic Excellence Scholarships
- School Of Nursing International Awards In USA
- Purdue University Trustees Scholarship
- Pathway To Victoria International Scholarship In Australia
The syllabus of D Pharmacy strives to impart students with a plethora of basic concepts in order to establish a strong foundation for further bachelor’s and master’s level courses. Since the program is offered by many leading universities of India and abroad, the curriculum of the course tends to differ. The following table elucidates some of the essential subjects that are a part of the program:
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry||Pharmacology and
|Human Anatomy and
|Pharmaceutics||Drug Store and Business
|Hospital and Clinical
|Health Education and
Note: The subjects mentioned above are just for indicative purposes and may differ from one university to another.
You cannot Miss: Nuclear Medicine
Top Universities Offering D Pharmacy in India & Abroad
There are numerous academic institutions around the world that offer specialised diplomas and certificates in the Pharmaceutical domain. Below we have listed some of the major and top-notch medical institutes and colleges in India offering D Pharmacy.[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Manipal Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Karnataka
- DIT University, Uttarakhand
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty
- Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions
- Om Sai Paramedical College
Also read: Best Pharmacy Colleges in India
For the candidates wanting to attain overseas education with D Pharmacy, below are some of the leading international universities and their prospective courses you need to consider:
|Equivalent Diploma/Certificate Courses||D Pharmacy Universities Abroad|
|Diploma of Pharmacy Studies||University of Tasmania|
|Practice Certificate in Independent Prescribing (Pharmacy)||University of Hertfordshire|
|Overseas Pharmacist||Aston University|
|Pharmacist Prescribing Programme||University of Bath|
|Pharmacy Technician||Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning|
Must Read: Clinical Data Management
Career Scope of D Pharmacy
Once you have completed D Pharmacy, there are a plethora of career prospects that await you. If you want to delve deeper into this specialised domain, you can go for grabbing higher-level degrees available at bachelor’s or a master’s level after which you can pursue job profiles like Drug Inspector, Drug Controller, Technical Supervisor, Quality Analyst, Production Executive. Below we have curated a list of some of the major job opportunities available for those who have completed a diploma in Pharmacy:
- Consultant Pharmacists
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Dispensary Pharmacist
- Community Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Medicines Management Technician
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Pharmacy Assistant
Companies Hiring for D Pharmacy
The top recruiters for pharmacists includes the following
- Johnson & Johnson
- Merck & Co.
- Sanofi AbbVie
Also read: PhD in Pharmacy
Salary in D Pharmacy
In India, the average starting salary for D Pharm candidates is around INR 2,00,000 to 3,00,000 per year. Abroad, the salary can be $15-$25 (INR 1095-1826) dollars per hour. The yearly package of $139,679 (INR 1,01,29,537)is also provided to some candidates in the USA. Experience and field expertise are the deciding factors for higher pay.
Thus, we hope that this blog was informative to you about D Pharmacy and its essentials. If you are aiming to pursue this program and browsing for top medical institutions, take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI tool to narrow down suitable course and university combinations which align with your interests and career aspirations.