What is the common ground between medicine and brewing? Microbiology is the foundational subject for building a career in either of the courses. Microbiology isn’t just limited to medicines or nursing, it plays a vital role in the pharmaceutical, food & beverage industry as well. Planning to become a Microbiologist? Then, you will be essentially required to have a doctorate degree in this field! This blog covers all the important aspects of PhD in microbiology, syllabus, application, eligibility, jobs and scope.
|Course Name||Doctor of Philosophy in Microbiology|
|Course Duration||3 – 5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Postgraduate degree in related field in the first division( Different for universities)|
|Admission||Merit-Based, Interview, Entrance Exam|
|Ph.D. in Microbiology Entrance||GPAT, UGC NET, GATE, CSIR UGC NET|
|Employment Sectors||Food & beverage, Educational, Laboratory work|
Table of contents
Topics Covered in PhD in Microbiology
The course wards students with doctorate level of study and typically the course duration is 3 – 5 years. Ph.D. in Microbiology covers topics like
- Molecular bacteriology
- Molecular biology
- Environmental microbiology
- Microbial Genetics
Universities abroad offering PhD in Microbiology
If you want to study abroad to pursue a Ph.D. in Microbiology there are various options available in the USA & United Kingdom. Here is a list of other prominent universities offering Ph.D. in microbiology.
- Newcastle University, United Kingdom
- University of Essex, United Kingdom
- University of Lincoln, United Kingdom
- University of Kent, United Kingdom
- University of Arizona, USA
- University of Tennessee Knoxville, USA
- The Ohio state university, USA
- Colorado State University, USA
- University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Top 10 Universities offering PhD in Microbiology in India
India has some exceptional universities that offer Ph.D. in Microbiology. Take a look at the top 10 universities offering a Ph.D. in India
- Banaras Hindu University
- Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies
- University of Calcutta
- University of Hyderabad
- SRM Institute of Technology
- Punjab University
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Pondicherry University
- Utkal University
- Assam University
Here are university ranking, admission procedure, annual fees & the official website of some of the universities for Ph.D. in microbiology.
|Name of University/College||Location||NIRF Ranking||Admission procedure||Annual Fees (In INR)||Website|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh||#10||Entrance Exam||8,368||https://www.bhu.ac.in/|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||#11||Merit + Interview round||4,400||https://www.caluniv.ac.in/|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||#44||Merit + Interview round||15,667||https://puchd.ac.in/|
|SRM Institute of Technology||Kanchipuram||#58||Merit + Interview round||16,000||https://www.srmist.edu.in/|
|Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam||#49||Merit + Interview round||33,000||https://www.mgu.ac.in/|
The admission process for PhD in Microbiology is very simple. Let;s check it out:
- Visit the Official Website – For applying for PhD in microbiology students have to apply online by visiting the official website of the university.
- Login Id & Username – For filling up the application form, students have to first create a login ID & username.
- Application Form – Log in to your account after creating and filling up your application form.
- Personal & educational details – Applicants have to fill in their personal details like name, parents name, contact details & educational qualification.
- Upload the documents – Applicants are required to upload documents that include signature & photograph.
- Application Fee – As the last step, pay the application fee and submit your form.
- Download – Download a hard copy of the application form for future reference.
Entrance Exam for PhD in Microbiology
Most of the universities that offer Ph.D. in microbiology accept these 4 major entrance exams for admission into the course.
|Exam||UGC- NET||GATE||GPAT||CSIR UGC NET|
|Conducting authority||National Testing Agency (NTA)||IIT||National Testing Agency (NTA)||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Exam Name||University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering||Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test|
|Exam Frequency||Twice in a year||Once in a year||Once in a year||Twice a year|
Before applying for a course it is always recommended to check the eligibility criteria of the university. The eligibility criteria differs with universities:
- A postgraduate degree from recognized institutions with minimum 55%
- Some university require 5 years of experience in a related field
- The candidates from the reserved category (SC/ST) can take admission at 50% in postgraduate degree, 5% relaxation.
- Universities admitting students on merit-based requires applicants to clear the Personal Interview round.
Job Profiles & Sectors
Before pursuing any course a student always wonders what would be my average salary package or what field he/she can form his career. The tabulate form represents famous jobs in Microbiology & their average salary.
|Job Profile||Salary (in INR) per annum|
|Scientific Laboratory Technician||500000|
|Clinical Research Associate||340484|
Also Read: PhD in Biotechnology
The average salary of Epidemiologists ranges from 10,00,000 to 14,00,000.
You can fill an application form available on the official website for UGC- NET.
Yes, you can work in the personal care product industry.
The duration is 3 to 5 years to complete PhD in microbiology.
GATE is conducted once a year.
No, GPAT is a national-level exam.
We hope this blog was beneficial & it included everything you wanted to know about Ph.D. in Microbiology. If you want to chase the highest qualification & need some help you can connect with the expert & counselors at Leverage Edu. We wish you luck in all your future endeavors!