What is the common ground between medicine and brewing? Microbiology is the foundational subject for building a career in either of the courses. Microbiology isn’t just limited to medicines or nursing, it plays a vital role in the pharmaceutical, food & beverage industry as well. Planning to become a Microbiologist? Then, you will be essentially required to have a doctorate degree in this field! This blog covers all the important aspects of PhD in microbiology, syllabus, application, eligibility, jobs and scope.
|Course Name||Doctor of Philosophy in Microbiology|
|Course Duration||3 – 5 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Postgraduate degree in related field in the first division( Different for universities)|
|Admission||Merit-Based, Interview, Entrance Exam|
|Ph.D. in Microbiology Entrance||GPAT, UGC NET, GATE, CSIR UGC NET|
|Employment Sectors||Food & beverage, Educational, Laboratory work|
Table of contents
Topics Covered in PhD in Microbiology
The course wards students with doctorate level of study and typically the course duration is 3 – 5 years. Ph.D. in Microbiology covers topics like
- Molecular bacteriology
- Molecular biology
- Environmental microbiology
- Microbial Genetics
Universities abroad offering PhD in Microbiology
If you want to study abroad to pursue a Ph.D. in Microbiology there are various options available in the USA & United Kingdom. Here is a list of other prominent universities offering Ph.D. in microbiology.
- Newcastle University, United Kingdom
- University of Essex, United Kingdom
- University of Lincoln, United Kingdom
- University of Kent, United Kingdom
- University of Arizona, USA
- University of Tennessee Knoxville, USA
- The Ohio state university, USA
- Colorado State University, USA
- University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Top 10 Universities offering PhD in Microbiology in India
India has some exceptional universities that offer Ph.D. in Microbiology. Take a look at the top 10 universities offering a Ph.D. in India
- Banaras Hindu University
- Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies
- University of Calcutta
- University of Hyderabad
- SRM Institute of Technology
- Punjab University
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Pondicherry University
- Utkal University
- Assam University
Here are university ranking, admission procedure, annual fees & the official website of some of the universities for Ph.D. in microbiology.
|Name of University/College||Location||NIRF Ranking||Admission procedure||Annual Fees (In INR)||Website|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh||#10||Entrance Exam||8,368||https://www.bhu.ac.in/|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||#11||Merit + Interview round||4,400||https://www.caluniv.ac.in/|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||#44||Merit + Interview round||15,667||https://puchd.ac.in/|
|SRM Institute of Technology||Kanchipuram||#58||Merit + Interview round||16,000||https://www.srmist.edu.in/|
|Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam||#49||Merit + Interview round||33,000||https://www.mgu.ac.in/|
The admission process for PhD in Microbiology is very simple. Let;s check it out:
- Visit the Official Website – For applying for PhD in microbiology students have to apply online by visiting the official website of the university.
- Login Id & Username – For filling up the application form, students have to first create a login ID & username.
- Application Form – Log in to your account after creating and filling up your application form.
- Personal & educational details – Applicants have to fill in their personal details like name, parents name, contact details & educational qualification.
- Upload the documents – Applicants are required to upload documents that include signature & photograph.
- Application Fee – As the last step, pay the application fee and submit your form.
- Download – Download a hard copy of the application form for future reference.
Entrance Exam for PhD in Microbiology
Most of the universities that offer Ph.D. in microbiology accept these 4 major entrance exams for admission into the course.
|Exam||UGC- NET||GATE||GPAT||CSIR UGC NET|
|Conducting authority||National Testing Agency (NTA)||IIT||National Testing Agency (NTA)||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Exam Name||University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering||Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test|
|Exam Frequency||Twice in a year||Once in a year||Once in a year||Twice a year|
Before applying for a course it is always recommended to check the eligibility criteria of the university. The eligibility criteria differs with universities:
- A postgraduate degree from recognized institutions with minimum 55%
- Some university require 5 years of experience in a related field
- The candidates from the reserved category (SC/ST) can take admission at 50% in postgraduate degree, 5% relaxation.
- Universities admitting students on merit-based requires applicants to clear the Personal Interview round.
Job Profiles & Sectors
Before pursuing any course a student always wonders what would be my average salary package or what field he/she can form his career. The tabulate form represents famous jobs in Microbiology & their average salary.
|Job Profile||Salary (in INR) per annum|
|Scientific Laboratory Technician||500000|
|Clinical Research Associate||340484|
Also Read: PhD in Biotechnology
The average salary of Epidemiologists ranges from 10,00,000 to 14,00,000.
You can fill an application form available on the official website for UGC- NET.
Yes, you can work in the personal care product industry.
The duration is 3 to 5 years to complete PhD in microbiology.
GATE is conducted once a year.
No, GPAT is a national-level exam.
We hope this blog was beneficial & it included everything you wanted to know about Ph.D. in Microbiology. If you want to chase the highest qualification & need some help you can connect with the expert & counselors at Leverage Edu. We wish you luck in all your future endeavors!
How to apply banaras university based on gate result
How to apply banaras university based on gate result