Offering a mix of both a nutritionist course and a dietician course, a BSc Nutrition and Dietetics aims to build in students a thorough understanding of nutritional and dietary sciences equipping them to better interpret modern health concerns. It not only deals with the nutritional recommendations but also focuses on research in medical, dietary needs and human biosciences. Furthermore, it paves a way for individuals to venture into the thriving health, lifestyle and wellness industry. This blog is going to discuss various aspects of BSc Nutrition and Dietetics.
|Course Level||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Full-form||BSc Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Eligibility||At Least 50% in Science stream|
|Course Fees||US $ 3300|
|Recruiters||Hospitals, Nursing Facilities, Catering, etc|
Check Out: Food Technology Courses
This Blog Includes:
Typically running for around 3 to 4 years in duration, the BSc Nutrition and Dietetics is a highly specialised course. It aims to build a holistic understanding through study and research in core fields of physiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, diseases, epidemiology and a host of other fields. These topics offer students a much-needed avenue for comprehensive development. Further, a few years of experience or a Master in Public Health can also help open gateways into fields such as health policy analysis, health communication and health consultancy. The growing awareness as to healthy food and lifestyle has lent this field a new dimension of development.
Here are the skills that you require to build a good career in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Understand human nutrition and diet sciences
- Time management
- Ability to work under pressure
BSc Nutrition and Dietetics Subjects
The curriculum followed during the BSc Nutrition and Dietetics course is based on imparting a contemporary education related to the field of nutrition and dietetics. The curriculum incorporates a few essential subjects as well as optional modules covering topics of food technology, health communication methods, food servicing, catering, physiological control and so forth. Moreover, training in research methods and techniques, practical placements and research projects help in solidifying the learned concepts in an effective way. A few of the topics covered have been listed below:
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Introductory Food Science and Technology
- Nutrition and Health
- Molecular Biology
- Research Methods
- Medical Microbiology
- Applied Nutrition
- Communication and Health Promotion
- Diet Therapy
- Nutrition and Genetics
- Principles of Clinical Science and Therapeutics
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Public Health and Healthcare Systems
- Applied Food Science and Systems
- Dietetics Research Project
Though the actual admission requirements will differ as per the course and university, here are some of the general eligibility requirements for BSc Nutrition and Dietetics:
- The applicant must have completed 10+2 with PCB subjects and from a recognised board of education with the minimum marks required by your chosen university.
- For those planning to study abroad, you will have to provide English Language Proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and optional Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
For specific eligibility requirements, students are advised to visit the official website of their chosen university.
Admission in BSc Nutrition and Dietetics is a smooth process. Let’s check out the admission process:
- The admission is mainly merit-based
- You must have at least 50% marks from the Science stream with physics, chemistry and biology
- For admission abroad, an SAT exam and proficiency test in English like IELTS/TOEFL, etc is compulsory
- Once you have taken the test, apply for admission to the university depending on the country
- The admission process requires you to submit transcripts, SOP, and LOR
- If your profile matches the requirements of the university, you will receive a callback
Top Universities Offering BSc Nutrition and Dietetics
There are a plethora of universities and colleges around the world which offer bachelor’s degree courses in Nutrition and Dietetics. To help you further in your research, we have listed down some of the prominent universities across the world providing BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics and its course variants:
|University of Delaware||BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Monash University||Bachelor’s in Nutrition
Bachelor’s in Nutrition Science
|University of Minnesota, Twin Cities||BSc in Nutrition|
|University of Queensland||BSc in Food Science and Nutrition|
|University of Camerino||BSc in Nutritional Biology|
|Solent University||BSc Hons in Applied Human Nutrition
BSc Hons – Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science
|London Metropolitan University||BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics
BSc in Human Nutrition
|Southern Utah University||Bachelors in Human Nutrition|
|Bath Spa University||BSc Hons – Human Nutrition|
Moreover, the popular universities and colleges offering BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics in India are:
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh
- Manav Rachna International University, Haryana
- Queen Mary’s College, Tamil Nadu
- Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, Tamil Nadu
- SGT University, Haryana
- Shoolini University, Himachal Pradesh
Why study BSc Nutrition and Dietetics?
Studying BSc Nutrition and Dietetics comes with great opportunities like:
- The course is highly in demand and will be in the future as people are always trying to keep their health in place with the right nutrition
- As people are getting more aware of a healthy diet and balanced eating, the scope of the course is only increasing
- You can work as both employee and be self-employed as many celebrities have personal dieticians and hospitals hire dieticians as well
Career Prospects After BSc Nutrition and Dietetics
After completing a BSc Nutrition and Dietetics, you can enter a variety of industries spanning healthcare, food, lifestyle, wellness along with policy and communication. While both private and public companies offer lucrative job opportunities, one can also set up their own clinic/practice. Pursuing an advanced and specialized degree in modern dietary practices and consumption is also a popular choice for many. Before moving forward, it is important to differentiate between the two mainstream career paths, namely nutritionist and dietician.
Nutritionist vs Dietician
On first look, even though the job of both nutritionist and dietician may seem to be similar, there are major differences in actual responsibilities.
Dietician: In particular, the job of a dietician is a more regulated field which requires advanced knowledge of health and biosciences along with appropriate licensing and qualifications. They help in devising health and diet plans for people including patients suffering from diseases. They typically work in hospitals, clinics and healthcare centres while a private clinical practice is also being explored. In India, this field is regulated by the Indian Dietetic Association (IDA).
Nutritionist: On the other hand, the profession of a nutritionist is loosely regulated or not regulated at all. It is more inclined towards general nutrition-related advice that helps people in building and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The job does not involve making dietary recommendations to patients, promoting healthy habits, developing health and diet plans.
The choicest career paths taken by BSc Nutrition and Dietetics graduates are mentioned below:
|Nutrition and Dietetics Researcher||$71,178|
|Public Health Professional||$56,204|
|Child and Maternal Dietician||$43,248|
|Agricultural Food Technician||$40,860|
|Nutritional Products Salesperson||$46,976|
This article was in the aim of summarising specifics of BSc Nutrition and Dietetics course along with giving a general overview of fields of dietetics and nutrition. Moreover, while career scope in such fields is definitely rising in India, countries like the USA, Canada and UK offer much better career opportunities. If you are looking to dive down in this area but are not sure how to go about the whole process, the AI tool at Leverage Edu can assist you in narrowing down your choices based on your interests and inclinations, in turn, helping you build an awesome career.