Operation Theatre Technology is a branch of paramedical science that deals with pre-surgery, surgery and post-surgery activities. Operation Theatre Technology courses are available at three different levels i.e., Diploma (2 years), UG (3 years) and PG (2 years). Admission to BSc Operation Theater Technology is provided on a merit or entrance exam basis. Operation Theater experts help surgeons perform operation theater procedures smoothly. Operation Theatre Technicians work closely with the operating unit of the hospital comprising Sr. surgeons, Surgeons, Nurses and Anesthesiologists. They ensure the availability of various tools and equipment required for the surgery and the equipment sterilization activity etc. These experts are in great demand in OT and ICU units at hospitals. After the successful completion of the BSc course, these technicians start on-the-job training to get practical exposure. Let’s get insights into BSc Operation Theater Technology (OTT).
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent (Science Stream)|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 50000-100000 Annually (In India) and INR 700000-1000000 Annually (Abroad)|
|Average Salary||INR 500000-1000000 Annually|
|Career Scope||Consultant, Technician, OT Supervisor|
This Blog Includes:
Operation Theater Technology: Overview
The OT Technicians course covers every aspect of an operating room. The overview of the course is given below
- It teaches about disinfection and sterilisation.
- It prepares students to assist surgeons and anesthesiologists during surgical procedures.
- It certifies a learner to improve the quality of patient care in a healthcare facility.
- Candidates for operation theatre technology courses play an important role in pre-, intra-, and post-surgical scenarios.
- Aspirants must have completed class 12th in the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects from any recognised colleges/institutes.
- A minimum 50-60% score is required in class 12th to appear in the entrance examination.
Note – The variation in the class 12th score depends upon the individual university admission criteria.
- Aspirants should have passed class 12th in the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as compulsory subjects from some recognised colleges/institutes.
- Minimum Qualification Required: 10+2 or equivalent examination with science as a primary stream with 70% in aggregate.
- IELTS: Average 6.5 (Depends on the university and country)
- Statement of Purpose, and reference letter.
- Aspirants select the University/ Medical College in India and Abroad they want to enrol.
- Eligible candidates fill out the application form for the entrance examination conducted by the college or university.
- Those who qualify for the entrance examination called for the counselling phase for college selection, document verification and tuition fee submission.
- After completion of the enrollment process, students get information about class schedules from the university/college authority.
Must Read: BSc (Hons) in Paramedical Science
Syllabus of BSc Operation Theater Technology (OTT)
Some main subjects which are part of the BSc in Operation Theater Technology program are mentioned below.
- Basic Principles of Hospital Management
- Medicines Outline
- Principles of Anesthesia
- Advance Anesthetic Technique
- Basics of Surgical Procedure
- Basics of Intensive Care Unit
- OT Administration and Education
- Surgical and Electronic Equipment Maintenance
- Principles of Sterilisation Technique
- Medical Ethics
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Clinical Microbiology
- CSSD Procedure
- Advance Anesthetic Technique
Cost of Studying BSc Operation Theater Technology (OTT)
The average tuition fee for the BSc in Operation Theater Technology is around INR 50,000- INR 10 lakhs per year. The tuition fee depends upon university/college ranking both in India and abroad.
List of Top Universities
The below-mentioned universities in India offer the Bachelor of Science in Operation Theater Technology program.
|All India Institute of Medical Science||New Delhi|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore|
|Institute of Medical and Research Centre||Mangalore|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Kochi|
|Government Medical College||Punjab|
Many foreign universities offer the BSc Operation Theater Technology program. The top universities are listed below:
|University of Bristol||UK|
|University of Saint Andrew||UK|
|University of Reading||UK|
|Texas State University||USA|
Must Read: Best Medical Colleges in the USA
After successfully completing the undergraduate course in Operation Theatre Technology, the career prospects for the students lie more within the operation theatre than outside. One can either wear gloves and assist the doctors or be a teacher and impart his/her medical knowledge to students. Students can further pursue higher education in the same field as a Master in Operation Theater Technology.
Following are some common job roles students pursue after completing a BSc in Operation Theater Technology program.
- Operation Theater Technician
- Lab Technician
- Anaesthesia Consultant
- Assistant OT Technician
- Assistant Lab Technician
- OT Technical Supervisor
OT professionals can work in government hospitals, private hospitals, medical laboratories, pathology labs and medical equipment manufacturing. The average starting salary of a student will be INR 5-10 lakhs per year which increase after a certain period of experience.
After successful completion of the degree program in Operation Theater Technology, candidates get the opportunity to work in both Government and Private sectors.
It depends upon the course structure followed by the universities and colleges. In some institutions, it is mandatory while others kept it voluntarily.
No, Operation Theater technicians are not allowed to perform surgery. They are trained to provide all the surgery-related both technical and non-technical support to the surgeons inside the OT.
If you want to get into a high-ranked university like Long Island University, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.