X-ray is one of the most common technologies used by the healthcare industry. Most of us had an x-ray at some point in our life, whether it’s been for an injury or a routine check-up like at the dentist. X-rays are a common way to see inside the body to diagnose and treat ailments or monitor any progression in the body. There are a good number of career roles available for the students after the completion of their Diploma in X-ray Technology course. If the idea of using the latest imaging technology on the job sounds exciting to you, a career in X-ray technology might be the right choice for you. With lucrative salary packages, a career in this field holds great opportunities in the medical industry. Let’s explore everything you need to know about X-Ray Technician Course:
|Name of Course||Diploma in X-Ray Technology|
|Course Mode||Full Time|
|Minimum Academic Requirement||10+2 in Science|
|Minimum Aggregate Score Requirement||45% or more|
|Subject Preference||Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics|
|Admission/Selection process||University-Level Entrance/Merit-based|
|Average Course Fee||₹50,000|
|Average Initial Salary||₹1,00,000|
|Areas of Employment||Government/Private Hospitals Clinics Laboratories|
This Blog Includes:
- Why X-Ray Technician Course?
- About X-Ray Technician Course
- X-Ray Technician Course Eligibility Criteria
- X-Ray Technician Course Fee
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology: Syllabus
- Top 10 Universities for X-Ray Technician Course (Radiology Course)
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology: College Comparison
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology: Course Comparison
- Career Scope after X-Ray Technician Course
- X-Ray Technician Academic Scope
- X-Ray Technician Course: Admission Process
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology Admission Process
- Top Employment Areas
Why X-Ray Technician Course?
- A diploma in X-ray technology is a highly in demand sector in which students can learn and seek jobs after completing the programme.
- The healthcare field has constantly been expanding and advancing into the future. As the community finds better ways to detect health problems, the demand for X-ray technology has also risen.
- A diploma in X-ray technology or a graduate degree in Radiology can be the beginning of your career as an X-ray technician. Earning your diploma in X-ray technology is a base for other certifications, such as advanced radiography certifications and specialized BSc and health administration degrees.
- These additional qualifications are a vital component of health care service. Whether you’re a candidate for a certificate program or instead are looking for an associate, bachelor’s or master’s degree in radiologic technology, being an X-ray technician can bring you multiple choices of lucrative job opportunities.
About X-Ray Technician Course
X-Ray technician course is a subset of the Radiology department and is mostly taken independently as a Diploma course after the completion of 10+2 standards. The program covers both clinical and administrative skills along with other hands-on training. Undertaking a diploma in X-ray technology will equip you with the knowledge and skills in performing laboratory tests, general radiology procedures, and electrocardiograms. The admission process for this course is conducted based on the candidates’ performance in their high school examinations. Few institutes also hold entrance exams for admitting students.
X-Ray Technician Course Eligibility Criteria
From working with government organizations to aiding a private lab, the job of an X-ray technician comes with loads of responsibilities. Hence, it is important to embody a few important traits before you undertake the position of an X-ray technician.
- All aspiring technicians must have cleared the 12th standard in the science stream from a recognised board of education.
- Candidates should be securing a minimum aggregate of 45% or more in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
- Admission is either held based on a University-level examination or merit basis. Students must follow the specified application process as per the guidelines of the chosen college.
Also Read: MBA Healthcare Management
X-Ray Technician Course Fee
The course fee for Diploma in X-ray Technology ranges anywhere between ₹20,000 – ₹95,000. While each college defines its course fee for a Diploma in X-ray technology, the average cost of pursuing this course will be around ₹50,000 annually. It should be noted that government colleges offering this course are comparatively cheaper than those offered in private colleges.
Diploma in X-Ray Technology: Syllabus
|Human Anatomy||Radiography: Patient Care and Hospital Practice|
|Radiographic Techniques and Diagnostic||Basics of Radiography|
|Radiodiagnostic Radiography Equipment||Electrocardiography|
|Radiodiagnostic Result Correlation||Radiographic Techniques|
|Clinical Haematology, Chemistry, and Urinalysis||Radiographic Image Acquisition|
|Diagnostic Radiography||Basic Physics|
Top 10 Universities for X-Ray Technician Course (Radiology Course)
- Harvard University
- Standford University
- King’s College London
- Radboud University Nijmegen
- University College London
- Johns Hopkins University
- Heidelberg University
- Imperial College London
- University of Toronto
- University of California – San Francisco
Also Read: Health Inspector Course
|Parameter||NIMS University||RKDF University||Academy Allied Health Sciences|
|Objective||A private university that offers the UG, PG, Diploma, etc.||A private university that offers UG, PG, Diploma, Pharmacy, etc.||It offers a diploma and certification course.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with PCM/PCB or possess an equivalent qualification from a recognized board of India||10+2 in science (PCB) with 40% marks(UR category) and 35% marks(reserved category)||10+2 with science by CBSE board or any equivalent exam conducted by any state board.|
|Average annual fee||INR 35,000||INR 28,000||INR 33,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3.5 LPA||INR 3.4 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
|Parameters||Diploma in X-ray Technology||Diploma in Radiography|
|Duration||2 years||3 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance-exam based / Merit-based||Entrance-exam based / Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 2 to 3 LPA||Between 10,000 to 8,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000||Between INR 1 to 10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Hospitals, Clinics, Medical labs, Govt. labs, Govt. Hospitals etc.||Global Medical Recruiting, St. Joseph Hospital, HITECH Diagnostics, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Doctor’s Office, Medical content writing, Private clinics, Outpatient Care, colleges, universities, etc.||Private Care centers, Radiotherapy Equipment manufacturers, Occupational Health centers, Radiotherapy Research organizations, etc.|
|Job Positions||X-ray technician, Assistant X-ray technician, Consultant Radiologist, Teacher, etc.||X-ray technician, Radiation Protection Specialist, Therapy radiographer, Diagnostic radiographer, Radiation Therapy Technologist, etc.|
Career Scope after X-Ray Technician Course
Under any one of the mentioned employment areas, the aspiring candidates will be able to pursue a stable career path in radiology/radiography. However, there are limited jobs after Diploma in X-ray technology. With these limited roles, there is immense job security, especially due to the dearth in the availability of skilled and qualified technicians in the medical sector. A graduate who chooses to pursue a professional career can expect to earn a salary of ₹90,000 – ₹ 1,50,000 per annum, initially. With better experience and on-field skills, a diploma in X-ray technology can earn anywhere between ₹1,60,000 – ₹2,60,00 per annum. Here are some of the common job roles that you can opt for :
- X-Ray Technician
- Assistant X-Ray Technician
- Radiography Imaging Technician
- Radiography Technician
X-Ray Technician Academic Scope
Many aspirants after completing an X-ray technician program choose not to pursue a professional career path and go for higher education. There are several programs available to cultivate and upskill your diploma course into a specialized degree. Foreign medical colleges, on the other hand, mostly offer UG and PG degrees in Radiology rather than Diplomas. Hence, aspiring candidates also have the option of applying for abroad colleges for pursuing further education in this field. These courses are:
- B.Sc in Radiology
- B.Sc Radiography Imaging Techniques
- B.Sc Medical Lab Technology
- B.Sc in Radiotherapy
- M.Sc in Radiology
X-Ray Technician Course: Admission Process
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked. Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Diploma in X-Ray Technology Admission Process
To enroll in a two-year diploma program in one of India’s many medical and allied health care institutes, you must first apply for admission to the Diploma in X-Ray Technology program.
Some colleges and universities may hold entrance exams followed by a personal interview. The universities and colleges determine the entrance examination. As a result, all interested applicants should read the admission policies provided by the particular colleges of their choice.
Top Employment Areas
There is a rising demand and increasing opportunities for X-ray technicians in the healthcare industry. Due to the lack of skilled and qualified X-ray technicians in a rapidly growing medical sector, X-ray technicians are in great demand globally. Therefore, pursuing a Diploma in X-ray technology can bring you immense opportunities along with future career prospects in the field of radiology. Here are some of the employment opportunities after a Diploma in X-Ray technology in India.
- Government and Private Hospitals
- Government and Private Medical Laboratories
- X-ray Laboratories
- Outpatient Care Centres
The most basic need for enrolling in this certification program is that you pass your class 12 Board Exams. You should score at least 45 percent and preferably come from a science background.
X-Ray Technician salary in India ranges between 1 Lakh to 4 Lakh with an average annual salary of ₹ 1.8 Lakhs.
You can work as a Radiologist (MD), Radiology Technologists/ Radiographer, Radiology Technicians, Ultrasound Technician/ Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, MRI Technician, CT Tech/ CAT Scan Technologist/ CT Scan Technologist after earning your degree in this sector.
It is a vast course and requires expertise from various sectors to ensure that the healthcare industry runs well. This course includes a variety of healthcare activities that are applied to a variety of medical treatments, including X-rays.
To clarify all the questions regarding X-Ray Technician Course, we hope this blog has been an informative read. Provided, if you are interested in getting professional assistance for choosing the right course and applying to the university of your dreams, Leverage Edu can assist you in this process from the beginning till the end. To get a better understanding of our services, connect with us for a free consultation session now!