Have you ever stopped to wonder how the numerous machines in our surroundings work? Are you intrigued by the rotation of the fan as much as you are by the turning of a wheel? The answer to all your questions lies in the field of mechanical engineering. Mechanical Engineering is a subject that has made a niche for itself in the field of engineering. It’s a challenging branch of engineering that requires dedication and a learning process throughout the degree. So if you are interested in digging for more information about MTech in Mechanical Engineering, this blog brings you comprehensive knowledge on this subject with additional information regarding admissions and colleges.
|Course||MTech Mechanical Engineering|
|Full Name||Masters of Technology in Mechanical Engineering|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree and entrance exam|
|The average cost of study||INR 1.5 to 6 Lakhs (may increase if pursued studies abroad)|
|Job Positions||Mechanical Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Production Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Design Engineer, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 4-6 Lakhs per annum|
This Blog Includes:
- MTech Mechanical Engineering: Why pursue the course?
- Branches of MTech Mechanical Engineering
- MTech in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
- MTech Mechanical Engineering: Top Colleges
- MTech Mechanical Engineering: Admission Process
- Eligibility Criteria for Mtech Mechanical Engineering
- Top Entrance Exams
- MTech Mechanical Engineering vs ME Mechanical Engineering
- Future Scope of MTech Mechanical Engineering
The job of a mechanical specialist is to convert an idea into a commercial success. The mechanical architect structures machines for their usefulness, feel, and strength; and decide the best assembling approach that will guarantee activity without disappointment. MTech Mechanical Engineering is a 2-year graduate program based on a semester system. A few schools likewise offer some part-time programs that can last for a duration of 3 years. Students in the wake of finishing their B. Tech can opt for M.Tech. program for further educational pursuits. An M.Tech. Mechanical Engineering understudy is instructed about the foundations of concepts such as thermodynamics, the state of matter, the design of a machine, and the principles and applications related to machines. It is a stimulating course that helps the student conduct experiments and research in areas related to mechanics and infers conclusions from them. A course providing an insight into the world of machines, it is a blend of theoretical and hands-on practical knowledge to prepare the students for the challenging professional world of mechanics.
Must Read: Career in Mechanical Engineering
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Why pursue the course?
MTech Mechanical Engineering is one of the most sought-after courses in India for personal and professional development. With its study, the MTech course offers several advantages. The following are the advantages of taking the course:
- The course study provides opportunities for professional development and knowledge.
- Students who are interested in the study of machines and their functions should take this course.
- Students with technological skills that can be combined with machine learning should strongly consider taking this course.
- For fresh postgraduate students, the salary package ranges from INR 3,000,000 to 1,000,000.
- The course also provides students with a variety of career options.
Branches of MTech Mechanical Engineering
Following is the list of some of the popular branches of MTech Mechanical Engineering courses that students can choose right after BTech in Mechanical Engineering:
- MTech in Manufacturing Engineering
- MTech in Robotics
- MTech in Mechatronics
- MTech in Automobile Engineering
- MTech in Computer-Aided Design
- MTech in Production Engineering
- MTech in Industrial Engineering
- MTech in Thermal Engineering
- MTech in Industrial Engineering
MTech in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
While studying Mtech Mechanical Engineering, scholars will come across wide-ranging subjects that will evoke their interest in the field of mechanics. These subjects are varying and emphasize multiple specializations. Each semester is carefully designed to ensure the student has the scope to study a large number of core and elective papers. Let’s take a look at the major Mechanical Engineering Subjects and course syllabus:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Instruments and maiden.||Design of Mechanics|
|Experimental Stress Analysis||Theory of Elasticity|
|Numerical Analysis and optimization||CAD/CAM Lab Design Practical lab|
|Metal Forming Analysis||General Elective 2|
|Experimental stress analysis lab||General Elective 1|
|Mechanical measurement Lab||Principles Of Machine Design|
|Mechatronics and product design||Seminar/Internship|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Mechanical Behavior of Materials||Computer-Aided vehicle design|
|General Elective 3||Design of Pollution Control|
|General practical Lab 4||Tribulus|
|Mechanics Vibration||Computer-Aided Design|
|Minor Project||Elect. Design of bearing and shift|
|Material behaviour and vibration lab||Dissertation|
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Top Colleges
The top colleges for MTech Mechanical Engineering abroad are listed below:
There are various universities that provide MTech degrees to deserving students. These universities are located in different parts of the world and are esteemed for their state-of-the-art facilities and research-oriented programs. Choosing the right university can be a potential game-changer for any student and being aware of the universities offering the course can facilitate the student’s decision. Some of the renowned universities offering a degree in MTech Mechanical Engineering are tabulated below.
|University||Location||QS World University Rankings- Mechanical Engineering (2023)|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||1|
|University of Cambridge||UK||2|
|Nanyang Technological University||Singapore||19|
|University of California Berkeley||USA||27|
|Delft University of Technology||Netherlands||=61|
|Imperial College London||UK||=6|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||11|
|University of Oxford||UK||4|
|University of Michigan||USA||25|
Here is a list of top colleges in India that are offering top-rated MTech in Mechanical Engineering courses:
- IIT Bombay
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu
- IIT Madras
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Kanpur
- IISc Bangalore
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
- LD College of Engineering, Gujarat
- Andhra University College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- JSS Science and Technology University, Mysuru
MTech Mechanical Engineering: Admission Process
MTech Mechanical Engineering admissions are handled through either an entrance examination or a quota system.
Candidates interested in pursuing a career in this field can apply to MTech Mechanical Engineering colleges both offline and online.
- To fill out the admission application form, you can go to the institute’s official website or the step admission office.
- Fill out the required application form and upload all of the necessary documents as requested.
- After completing the application process, go to the counselling round and personal interview round to secure your desired college.
GATE, OJEE, UPSEE, TANCET, BHU PET, AP PGECET, ITM NEST, SRMJEEE PG, and other entrance examinations are held for admission to Master’s programmes at top colleges in India. Private institutes may also hold their own exams or rely on national/state-level entrance exams.
Eligibility Criteria for Mtech Mechanical Engineering
Universities offering an MTech Mechanical Engineering have decided on certain eligibility criteria that a student has to meet to be able to enrol in the program. These criteria are standardized and have been decided to test the ability of the individual to undertake the rigorous advanced course. For prospective students, being aware of these prerequisites is imperative to help them through the admission process. Enlisted below are some of the major criteria that a student has to meet to be eligible to undertake a degree in Mtech Mechanical Engineering.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for MTech mechanical engineering is a Btech degree from a recognised university. The student must have achieved the required percentage of marks to apply for a Mtech.
- Some universities select their students on the basis of their scores in entrance examinations like GATE.
- For students wishing to study abroad, certain universities might accept the GRE score obtained by the student. It is mandatory to undertake an English proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL etc. to demonstrate one’s efficiency in using the language.
- Universities abroad also evaluate the profile of the student which constitutes the SOP, LORs and extra-curricular achievements of the student.
Here is a list of Courses after Mechanical Engineering!
Top Entrance Exams
There are several national and state-level entrance examinations to take in order to get admitted to the MTech Mechanical Engineering program. The following are some of the most common MTech Mechanical Engineering entrance exams:
|AP PGECET||GRE||IIITH PGEE|
|TS PGECET||IPU CET||BITS HD|
|Gujarat PGCET||ITM NEST||AJEE|
MTech Mechanical Engineering vs ME Mechanical Engineering
The following is a course comparison between MTech Mechanical Engineering and ME Mechanical Engineering:
|Differences||MTech Mechanical Engineering||ME Mechanical Engineering|
|Overview||MTech in Mechanical Engineering is a postgraduate program that combines mechanics, kinematics, and other subjects.||ME in Mechanical Engineering primarily deals with the aspects of designing, production, and operations of machines and tools.|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in BTech or BE in Mechanical Engineering, or in any of the other branches of Mechanical Engineering like Manufacturing, Aeronautics, Mechatronics, etc., from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% marks.||To be eligible for admission to this technical degree program, you must have a BTech/BE/B.Sc degree with a minimum of 55% in aggregate.|
|Duration of the course||2 years||2 years|
|The average cost of study (INR)||1.5 – 7 lakhs||60,000 – 5 lakhs|
|Average starting salary (INR)||4 to 8 lakhs||3 to 6 lakhs|
Must Read: Best Mechanical Engineering Colleges
Future Scope of MTech Mechanical Engineering
The future scope of MTech Mechanical Engineering is as follows:
MTech Mechanical Engineering courses provide a plethora of employment and career options. Fresh postgraduates in this course may readily expect to earn between INR 4,00,000 to INR 9,00,000 each year and with consistent growth and work experience, the salary is expected to reach as high as 30 lakhs per annum. The salary offered is directly proportionate to the candidate’s expertise in the field. Below are the various career options after completing MTech in mechanical engineering:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Mechanical Engineer||INR 6,00,000|
|Production Executive||INR 3,42,000|
|Defence Sector as Officer||INR 5,00,000|
|Machine Analyst||INR 3,42,000|
Besides looking for work, students have the option of enhancing their skills via higher studies in Mechanical Engineering. Students can pursue the following higher education options:
- MBA: A substantial percentage of engineering postgraduates opt to get into management by doing a PGDM or MBA program. Admission to this program is dependent on a national-level entrance exam.
- PhD: If a student wants to continue their study in the same subject, the first program of option is a PhD Mechanical Engineering. It is a three to five-year program with qualifying requirements such as an MTech degree in relevant fields.
Candidates who have finished their BE/BTech degree and have a valid GATE score are eligible for the ME/MTech degree program. Candidates who have finished a 5-year program in Science or Applied Sciences and received a Master of Science degree are also eligible for the Master of Engineering program.
The national average salary for MTech Mechanical Engineers is INR 4-8 lakhs per year in India.
Some of the best streams for pursuing MTech are listed below:
In India, GATE is not always necessary for MTech admissions. If you do not have GATE results, you can apply for MTech courses at private academic institutions in India or look for study abroad possibilities.
So to wrap it up, there are many golden opportunities in the field of mechanical engineering. Are you aspiring to apply to a globally accredited university in the field of MTech Mechanical Engineering but are unnerved by the long and overwhelming process? Experts at Leverage Edu will help you in fulfilling your dream. They will view your applications and help you in your academic journey to an esteemed university. Book your free session today and give a flight to your dreams!