Information Technology is the study and use of computers right from storing, collecting to sending information for various applications. To continue working in a competitive environment, everyone must adapt gradually to the fluent use of technology. This not only optimizes the work but also ensures higher accuracy. Hence qualified, competent software engineers are highly in demand. Due to the high demand for skilled professionals students are now pursuing an MTech in Information Technology. In this blog, we will cover all details about MTech in Information Technology.
|Full Form||Master of Technology in Information Technology|
Must Read: BTech Computer Science
Pursuing an MTech in information technology provides a stronger base and refined skill set for students. The Mtech degree is carefully designed to ensure that the subjects and basics learnt in the Bachelor years are refined and built upon thoroughly. Colleges offer a wide array of electives to ensure that students can specialize in their fields of interest. The course covers some essential core subjects like Computer Networks, Database Management Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms, Embedded Systems. Network Security and Cryptography, Theory of Computation, Web Programming and Management Information System.
Followed below is a list of elective subjects generally offered in MTech in Information Technology. Students can choose them according to the particular sector of Information Technology that they wish to acquire a specialization in:
- Artificial Intelligence: Foundations and Applications
- Smartphone Computing
- Logics for Computer Science
- Wireless AdHoc and Sensor Network
- Communications Signal Processing and Algorithms
- Advanced Database Systems
- Natural language Processing
- Algorithms for Bioinformatics
- Social Computing
- Intelligent Control
- Security for Systems
MTech entrance exams for information technology
Some of the most popular MTech information technology admission tests are listed below:
- GATE is an All-India level entrance exam that IIT Bombay administers every year to admit students to a variety of UG and PG programmes.
- TANCET: On behalf of the Tamil Nadu government, Anna University administers the TANCET state-level admission examination. For admission to MTech, MBA, MArch, and ME programmes, it is held.
- AP For applicants seeking admission to ME, MTech, or MPharm programmes, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, conducts the PGECET state-level entrance exam.
- OJEE: An annual state-level admission exam for undergraduate, postgraduate, and lateral entry programmes that is administered by the OJEE Board.
To pursue an MTech in Information Technology program, students must meet the following list of prerequisites:
- A basic 10+2 qualification must have been attained or an equivalent from a recognized board. The higher secondary syllabus must include the subjects Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.
- A Bachelor’s degree in the field of either Science, Technology or Engineering that is BSc, BTech, BE from a recognized university.
- GATE/ GRE: For admissions to Indian Universities for MTech in Information technology, the GATE examination is a must. It is equivalent to an Entrance Examination. GRE is an additional examination that must be given for applications to universities outside of India.
- Private Universities in India might have separate entrance examinations too.
- English Proficiency Examinations: TOEFL/ IELTS/ PTE/Duolingo.
Universities require students to have certifiable proficiency in the english language as the medium of teaching shall be English. This is a requirement while applying for a Masters in Information Technology to universities abroad (outside of India, i.e USA, UK, Australia).
Also Read: How to Do MTech Without GATE?
There are several colleges offering the degree of MTech in Information Technology. These are some of the most reputed and competitive colleges in India. The admission to one of these colleges is on the basis of the GATE examination. In addition to the entrance exam the colleges also assess the student’s potential on the basis of their performance in the undergraduate course. The top universities for MTech in Information Technology are:
- IIT Kharagpur
- NIT Rourkela
- IIT Dhanbad
- NIT Mangalore
- Delhi technological University
- Parul University
- NIT Patna
- NIT Jamshedpur
Post pursuing an MTech in Information Technology there are several fields available for a job. The various industry sectors have different requirements and students can choose to work in the field on the basis of the specializations pursued during the Masters coursework. You can take a look here:
- Software Developers
- Information Technology Consultant
- Computer Forensic Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Computer Network Designing
- Applications Development
- System Analyst
- Testing Engineer
The positions of software engineers in companies can range from Developers, Software engineers, Programmers, Analysts, and so on. They can move onto higher posts gradually and secure positions of Chief Technical Officer or even Chief Executive Officers for companies. With the start up culture trending globally nowadays there are several software engineers who prefer even starting one of their own. Here is a list of companies which are hiring IT graduates:
- Morgan Stanely
- Ernst & Young
- E-commerce: Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra
A Masters of Science degree is fit for those wishing to pursue a more research oriented path rather than a solution oriented job. The coursework for an MS is much lighter than that for MTech since the maximum number of credits are assigned to the Thesis and Research work. Due to the different nature of the degrees it is evident that we cannot compare the two directly. It is upto the individual to understand what they wish to do post the completion of the course and hence proceed accordingly.
The average salary for fresh graduates of the MTech in Information Technology is in the range of 5,00,000 to 20,00,000. This is relatively high as opposed to the other branches of engineering, This occurs due to the high demand for IT Graduates.
The duration for the course MTech in Information technology is 2 years.
The cost of doing an MTech is 5-6 Lakh. This is relatively less as compared to that of pursuing an MS. The salaries earned post the completion of MTech in information Technology is far more than the fees. This would provide for an excellent return in the investment and hence prove to be definitely worth pursuing an MTech in Information Technology.
Must Read: MTech Computer Science
We hope we were able to clarify any doubts you had related to pursuing an MTech in Information Technology. For more admission, related queries contact our experts at Leverage Edu. Sign up for a free session today!