Science, as a domain, has not only made significant contributions in the field of Aerospace, Telecommunications, and Robotics, but its imprint is also deeply rooted in the field of Microbiology and Genetics. Every living creature is made up of millions of cells and genes. However, to read and evaluate that genetic composition, the complexity of cells, as well as variation in living organisms, a stronghold over the concepts related to Genetics, is required. In order to kickstart a career in this field, pursuing BSc Genetics is an ideal choice. Though it provides a base, to advance your career, you need to have a master’s degree like MSc or PhD. In this blog, we will elucidate the MSC Genetics course and its related components in detail.
This Blog Includes:
- What is MSc Genetics?
- MSc Genetics Specialization
- MSc Genetics Subjects
- Popular Universities for MSc Genetics in Abroad
- Top 10 MSc Genetics Colleges in India
- MSc Genetics in DU
- MSc Genetic Eligibility
- Admission Requirements
- Entrance Exams in India
- Jobs and Salary
What is MSc Genetics?
Running for a period of 2 years, It is a popular degree course offered at the postgraduate level. Genetics, being one of the important branches of biology, requires extensive knowledge of the field and this is where the MSc course comes into the picture. Covering nuances of heredity and genes, this course also elucidates upon the core components of Biotechnology and Microbiology. Apart from the subject-specific knowledge, It also equips you with research skills and bioethics through industry training opportunities.
|Course Name||MSc Genetics|
|Level of Study||Postgraduate|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance Based|
|Average Salary||Rs. 6,00,000 – Rs. 12,00,000|
|Popular Job Profiles||-Geneticist
|MSc Genetics Colleges in India||-Vellore Institute of Technology
|MSc Genetics Abroad||–University of Pittsburgh
–University of Glasgow
–The University of Melbourne
MSc Genetics Specialization
Genetics is a vast and multidisciplinary domain that covers various facets of Information Technology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Cytogenetics, etc. Before we delve deep into the course, let us take a quick glance over the branches of Genetics so that you can choose a particular sub-field as your area of specialization.
- Biochemical Genetics
- Classical Genetics
- Human Genetics
- Behavioural Genetics
- Quantitative Genetics
- Population Genetics
MSc Genetics Subjects
Let’s move ahead and take a holistic look at some of the core subjects which are taught in this program:
- Introduction to Genetics
- Chromosome, Genes and Genomes
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Microbial and Human Genetics
- Plant Genetics and Breeding
- Plant Tissue Culture and Transgenic Technology
- Developmental Biology and Immunology
- Drosophila Genetics
- Biology of Dictyostelium
- Cancer Biology and Genetics
- Genetic Counselling
- Yeast Molecular Genetics
- Biostatistics and Population Genetics
- Plant Genetic Engineering
- Developmental Biology
- Genetics of Bacteria and Their Viruses
- Fungal Genetics
Note: The aforementioned subjects have been mentioned for indicative purposes. They may differ from one university to another.
Popular Universities for MSc Genetics in Abroad
Now that you are familiar with the basic curriculum of course, let’s now go through a list of top-notch universities offering a comprehensive course in this field.
- University of Alberta
- The University of Otago
- The Australian University of Technology
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Glasgow
- Oxford Brooks University
- University of Guelph
- The University of Melbourne
- Brunel University
- University of Calgary
- The University of Queensland
- Montclair State University
- Columbia University
- Massey University
- Newcastle University
- University of Nottingham
- The University of Edinburg
- University of Sheffield
- Oakland University
- University of Arizona
Top 10 MSc Genetics Colleges in India
Indian universities are the hub of unique courses. From conventional to vocational courses. We have curated a list of colleges in India for you:
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- Delhi University, Delhi
- Calcutta University, Calcutta
- Manipal School of Life Science, Manipal
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmacy, Kolkata
- Gujrat University, Gujrat
- MDU, Rohtak
- LPU, Jalandhar
- Banglore University, Bangalore
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
MSc Genetics Colleges in Delhi & NCR
- Delhi University
- CCSU – Chaudhary Charan Singh University
- NDRI – National Dairy Research Institute
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology
MSc Genetics Colleges in Kerala
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Mannuthy
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
- Kerala Agricultural University, Thrissur
- College of Agriculture, Thiruvananthapuram
- College of Horticulture, Thrissur
MSc Genetics Colleges in Punjab
- Lovely Professional University
- Guru Nanak Dev University
- DAV University
MSc Genetics in DU
The course is offered as a two-year masters programme to students and the eligibility criteria for the exam is BSc in Natural Sciences/Biotechnology/Life Sciences. Candidates can enrol in DU through its annual PG test which is conducted once a year. All candidates who wish to enrol for the programme are required to take the exam.
MSc Genetic Eligibility
- The eligibility criteria is BSc from a recognised university in subjects like Zoology, Biology, Botany, Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology or Life Sciences and Biomedical Sciences
- Candidates require a minimum of 60 to 55% or more in their graduation exams in order to get enrolment (Minimum marks vary based on university and department)
- Research projects and work experience may be a requirement in certain universities.
- A personal Interview round is also a basic eligibility requirement in some scenarios.
In order to pursue this course, you must have a bachelor’s degree in the same or a related field with a minimum percentage as determined by the university. Apart from this, you need to score well in English proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc. Some academic institutions may also require GRE scores in order to proceed with the admission process. Though not a mandatory requirement, but few institutions also prefer candidates with good work experience. Statement of purpose (SOP), Letters of recommendations (LOR), transcripts, CV/Resume, etc are other essential documents.
Note: The eligibility criteria and admission requirements can vary from one university to another.
Entrance Exams in India
Here are some popular entrance exams for the course in India-
- IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test)
- DU PG Test
- GATE Exam
- Pondicherry Entrance Exam
- Molecular Biology And Genetics
- Genetics: for B.Bc and M.Sc. Classes of All Indian Universities
- Fundamentals of Genetics
- Genetics: Analysis and Principles, by Robert Booker
- Principles of Genetics by Gardner
- Human Genetics concepts and application by Ricki Lewis
- Genetics: A Molecular Approach by T. A. Brown
- Concept of Genetics by Klug
- Genetics: A conceptual Approach by Pierce
- An introduction to Genetic Analysis by Griffiths
- Theory and Problems of Genetics by Stansfield.
- Cell biology Genetics and Biotechnology
Being a broad field of study, It opens the door to innumerable career opportunities across medical science, pharmaceutical and agrochemical industries along with animal clinics, academic institutions, research organisations, fisheries and aquaculture sectors, etc. Enlisted are some of the popular work profiles for you to consider:
- Research Scientist
- Principal Plant Breeder
- Account Manager
- System Software Sales Specialist
- System Administrator
- Channel Enablement Specialist
- Purchase Executive
- Data Specialist
- Technical Solution Manager
Jobs and Salary
There are numerous job opportunities available after MSc genetics. From hospital to diagnostics centres there is always a job option available for MSc graduates. The growth will expand in the coming years as well. The average salary ranges from Rs. 6,00,000 to Rs. 12,00,000 per annum depending upon the job profile and recruiting company. Here is the graphical representation of jobs and salaries:
The applicant should have three – four degree in the related field with minimum 50%
Delhi University is the perfect choice for this course in Delhi.
Yes, you can pursue this course in IIT.
Newcastle University ,University of Nottingham and The University of Edinburg are some of the best universities for MSc genetics in UK are the popular universities in UK for this course.
The average salary in India ranges between Rs. 6,00,000 – Rs. 10,00,000.
Indian Agricultural Research Institute, JNU, Manipal university are some of the universities offering MSc genetics and plant breeding.
Hopefully, this blog has helped you gain essential information related to MSc Genetics. Apprehensive about how to proceed with the admission process? Then let the experts at Leverage Edu lend you a helping hand. Book your free 30 minutes e-counselling session with the team and get assistance right from completing modal formalities to finding a scholarship