Social work is a prestigious career and is about addressing issues faced by people in society and finding optimum solutions to make their lives easier. Accredited by Social Work England, Masters of Social Work in the UK is a course designed for future registered social workers in England who wish to gain both practical and theoretical experience. The average fee for one year is £15,200 (INR 15,24,888) for international students.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Master of Social Work in the UK?
- Eligibility Criteria
- Admission for Masters in Social Work in UK
- Best Universities for Masters in Social Work in UK
- Best Universities for Social Work for January 22’ Intake
- Masters in Social Work in UK Without IELTS
- Application Process
- Cost of Studying Masters in Social Work in UK
- Scholarship for Masters in Social Work in UK
- Career Scope& Average Salary
- Amongst the various reasons why the UK is an incredible option if you are looking to study abroad is the quality of education. Social work degrees have a very important place in the UK.
- If you want to have expertise in social work and want to find a job that makes an impact, then you should consider applying for a master’s degree at the best universities in the UK. The requirements for an MSW in the UK are very reasonable.
- The number of careers that one can choose from after getting their MSW in the UK is incredible. Some of the most in-demand professionals are social workers in the UK.
- The Social work industry is growing rapidly in the UK and pursuing a degree in this field will be a great investment because the returns are very high.
- Eligibility for pursuing a Master degree is graduation in any discipline but candidates having a bachelor’s degree in Social work (B.S.W./ B.A) or psychology, social science, sociology or any other related field get preference for a Master degree in social work.
- A 2:1 Honours degree (2:1 – 60 to 69% out of 100%) in an associated discipline (usually Social Sciences disciplines)
- GCSE grade C+ / 4 (or equivalent) in Maths and English
- English proficiency scores: IELTS score of 6.0 and TOEFL score of 79
- Some work or volunteering experience in social care, health or education
- Shortlisted students are required to appear for Interviews via skype as a part of the requirements of the course.
How to Become a Medical Social Worker?
Admission for Masters in Social Work in UK
When applying to institutions in the United Kingdom, students must submit their entrance application online. UCAS is a secure online application system used by the majority of UK universities and colleges that allows you to apply for full-time or part-time master’s programs. Applications can, however, be filed through the relevant university application webpage.
- Queen’s University Belfast
- The University of Strathclyde
- The University of Bath
- University of Bristol
- University of Birmingham
- University of York
- University of Nottingham
- Bournemouth University
- University of Hertfordshire
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- The University of Edinburgh
- Manchester Metropolitan University
Bournemouth University: This is a public University situated in Bournemouth, England. Bournemouth University ranks at 751 in the QS World University Rankings. It is known for providing a strong professional to its students. Academic excellence is something that the University is proud of. This University is an excellent choice for those who wish to pursue an MSW in the UK.
University of Hertfordshire: This university is a public university and is situated in Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. It offers a wide range of majors both for undergraduate and postgraduate students. It is one of the top 200 universities in the world.
Glasgow Caledonian University: The Glasgow Caledonian University is one of the largest universities in Glasgow, Scotland. It has over 20,000 students and provides an excellent quality of education to all of its students. The campus is very culturally diverse with students from all over the world coming to study here. Glasgow University provides one of the best MSW programs in the UK.
The University of Edinburgh: The University of Edinburgh is one of the best universities in the world. It ranked 16th place in the QS University rankings. It has an acceptance rate of 40-50%. It is one of Scotland’s four ancient universities. It offers 800+ programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Manchester Metropolitan University: The Manchester Metropolitan University is a modern university which is situated in the heart of Manchester. Manchester is often considered one of the UK’s great student cities. It has a ranking of 801 in the QS world university rankings. It is a public university that aims at providing its students with a mix of fun and learning. The University allows students with an MSW in the UK to reach the potential they are meant for.
UK Universities That Issue Offer Letter Within 14 Days
Here are some UK universities that offer MA/MSc in Social Work to international students for the January intake:
- University of Northampton
- University of Nottingham
- Middlesex University
- University of Bedfordshire
- University of Greenwich
- University of East London
- Staffordshire University
- Teesside University
Affordable Universities 1.5 Hours Away from London
- University of Bath
- University of Bristol
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Dundee
- University of Sussex
- University of Sheffield
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Strathclyde
UK Universities that Give an Offer Letter in 2 Days
The cost of pursuing an MSW in the UK ranges between 17,000-40,000 GBP. This comes to approximately INR 17-40 lakh for the entire course. Additionally, you will need around 6,000-7,000 GBP per annum for living in the UK.
Duration of the Course
For most programs of MSW in the UK, the duration of the course is 2 years. This includes practical experience and industry experience work as well.
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students can be given submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Score High with Leverage Live and Land Your Dream University!
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors, and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like test scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
Cost of Studying Masters in Social Work in UK
|Type of Expense||Cost (in GBP)|
|UCAS Application Fee||20|
|Visa Application Fees||348|
|TOEFL Fee||195- 200|
Cost of Living in UK
|Type of Expense||Annual Costs (in GBP)|
|Utilities||500 – 750|
|Food and Household Items||1,500|
Scholarship for Masters in Social Work in UK
|Chevening Scholarships||Full tuition fees|
|Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation||Full Tuition Fees|
|Manchester Alumni Scholarship Schemes||£3,000|
|GREAT Scholarships 2020||Vary|
|Think Big Postgraduate Scholarships||£5,000, £10,000 or £20,000|
|Phyllis Mary Morris Bursaries||£2,000|
|The Charles Wallace India Trust||Fully-funded awards|
|India Goa Education Trust Scholarships||Full or partial Tuition Fee|
Career Scope& Average Salary
The average salary of someone who has graduated with a Masters’s in Social Work from a UK university is 16,371 GBP and 25,111 GBP. This comes to approximately INR 16-25 lakh per annum. After completing an MSW in the UK, one is eligible for senior-level roles and can increase their earnings depending on the kind of experience they have to offer. Here are some of the popular job profiles:
- Social Worker
- Community development worker
- Life coach
- Volunteer coordinator
- Youth worker
Difference Between September and January Intake in UK
Want to study Masters in Social Work in the UK for the January intake 2022? Then, your wait is over. Call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get you admitted in less than 14 days from your dream university.